2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.57%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.27%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-11-24, 23:28   Link #441
nutype
Future MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Lol, funny ep, Tieira is disturbing but the arrival of the immortal Collosaur completely made my day. And the badass mofo Ali has made a comeback. Win.

anyway., bit offtopic...

It's actually a myth. The medieval society had already abandoned the flat earth concept around the 13th and 14th century, believing the earth was a sphere instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

I will admit that is pretty interesting and I applaud your effort to point this fact out. Having said that wiki says "By the 14th century, belief in a flat earth among the educated was essentially dead."

Keyword here is educated. Most people on the planet at the time still believed in a flat earth. Surely you will agree with me here that most people at the time were not educated. If anything there was a scientific concensus but not a public concensus. These are two different things. So depending how you look at it you could be right and wrong. If you asked the lay-person in the 13 or 14th century about this you will get a different answer from that of an educated person.

You must also acknowledge that there was a time before the 13th century (i had 1st or 2nd century in mind) when concensus really was that the earth is flat. The Christian bible also clearly mentions the earth is flat calling it a circle (a 2 dimentional object, not a sphere). This probably went unchallenged for centuries until the 13th century or so like you mentioned.

It was less than 10 yrs ago that the majority of the US population didnt believe in evolution by natural selection (from polls). Instead the concensus of the general population was biblical creation. Having said that, the science-educated or scientists do not dispute evolution by natural selection.

Anyway my point was that concensus does not define reality. Scientists do not have meetings to decide whether they will believe in evolution. Instead the data or information collected decides whether it is factual. Scientific concensus can define reality (to the best of our ability for the time being) for us but public concensus cannot (afterall the lay-person isnt always science-literate). I'll also add that even scientific concensus can be falsified if something better theory or understanding comes along. Today's scientific concensus can be in tomorrow's trashbin.

Take the example that the scientific concensus was that the universe is made mostly at out atoms. Seems like we are wrong and that the universe (which may soon be the multiverse) is made from dark matter (composed of non-baryonic particles). So again concensus does not equate to right. A small amount of people might know the truth that the majority is unaware of.

If concensus = right then the holocaust in germany, segregation, gay marriage ban are excusable as being justifiable as well.

GG.

/offtopic rant

Last edited by nutype; 2008-11-24 at 23:49.
nutype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 02:12   Link #442
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Yes, and what's wrong with that? Not everyone out there's going to like any one thing, not even well-recognized classics like the Mona Lisa or Shakespeare's plays.
It would be alright if they keep their hate to themselves. But they don't and they keep spreading their false knowledge over the internets, over a dozen blogs and such.

I'm talking about those whose facts are wrong, misunderstood something, yet do not want to listen to what others are trying to correct them with.

This form of ignorance and arrogance has increased alot with the increase in usage of blogs, especially with the amount of sarcasm people like to put in their blogs. People are taking those sarcastic remakes and turning them into 'facts', then continue to spread it like it was what happened in the anime. Some of these people didn't even watch the anime themselves and are just looking for a review, or worse, reading blogs so that they do not need to watch the anime itself.

Just an example of wrong opinions and how they spread and influence the internets.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 02:17   Link #443
Knight_SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post

I'm almost certain Ribbons was lying though. Aeolia didn't give him access to Tran Am or Twim Drive, and he never sounds pleased when speaking of him. Doesn't sound like he's following Aeolia's plan at all.
Ribbons IS following his own plan and i'm pretty sure he also the pilot of 0 Gundam, cause the fact about it's pilot that been revealed in the novelization really resembles ribbons very much.
Knight_SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 02:24   Link #444
Mangaka-chan

Spoiler for Quoting Kaioshin Sama:

I too think Ribbons is trying to speed up the plan. Additionally he sees himself as someone above humans, thus why he says Tieria has become human-like, that it has made him less perfect. And ultimately I think that will be his down fall, because one of the message of the show is that humans are imperfect, they make mistakes but have the perseverance to keep going.

Regene interests me because it seems Ribbons has a hard time controlling him, or in general knows he has an independent attitude and doesn't like it very much. This makes me think that instead of being a traitor Regene will defect from the Innovators and do what he wants. I do think he has the potential to become a head boss towards the end, but somehow I just think he's a free spirit, the opposite in terms of personality to what Tieria was in S1, which is kind of interesting considering the two are clones/twins.

One thing that mystifies me though, is why does Ribbons say what Regene has done (i.e. talking to Tieria) was unnecessary and yet goes and invites Tieria to talk in private after their dance? Is it "Well, since he's already told him, might as well use that to my advantage" or did Regene just say more than what Ribbons had instructed him to? If it's the latter, then what extraneous thing (as far as Ribbons is concerned) did Regene say to Tieria?

Oh, and Billy recognized Setsuna from when he came to pick up Sumeragi, not from the desert encounter in S1. There's no way Billy will ever forget his face after that.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 03:52   Link #445
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

Aw man , i got juked. I thought Regene was a girl, especially after learning his name. I always though to myself that if I was an anime character i would hit that. *shudders* Ugh......

What happened in this episode? Did they go out of order at the end? What did Setsuna do the first time he saw Ali (this season)?
Old 2008-11-25, 04:22   Link #446
Seibee
Mwu Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan View Post
Oh, and Billy recognized Setsuna from when he came to pick up Sumeragi, not from the desert encounter in S1. There's no way Billy will ever forget his face after that.
And totally, totally hate his guts afterwards.
Seibee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 04:24   Link #447
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
It definately looks this way.
The question would be: Why? If the Innovators have nanomachines to stop aging, then Ribbons should have all the time in the world to wait for the completion of the plan. There is just no need to speed it up, since he would see the end anyways.
I think its because he found that Aeolia has hidden something from them, Innovators. Like the existance of the Twin Drive system, which they did not know about and CB has it instead.

Ribbons must have thought that the Innovator's purpose must have been neglected or Aeolia had been hiding something or lying to them for the past 200 years.

Because Ribbons or the Innovators have their sights on following and achieving what they think should be Aeolia's complete plan, they want to speed up now before anything else like the Twin Drive system appears and further disrupt their beliefs.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 04:42   Link #448
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
It would be alright if they keep their hate to themselves. But they don't and they keep spreading their false knowledge over the internets, over a dozen blogs and such.

I'm talking about those whose facts are wrong, misunderstood something, yet do not want to listen to what others are trying to correct them with.

This form of ignorance and arrogance has increased alot with the increase in usage of blogs, especially with the amount of sarcasm people like to put in their blogs. People are taking those sarcastic remakes and turning them into 'facts', then continue to spread it like it was what happened in the anime. Some of these people didn't even watch the anime themselves and are just looking for a review, or worse, reading blogs so that they do not need to watch the anime itself.

Just an example of wrong opinions and how they spread and influence the internets.
Just ignore the blogs, they're a waste of time for the most part and all say the same thing anyway. The blogosphere has more or less decayed into meme spamming and general ignorance where nobody really has anything interesting to say, and to be honest I can't even stand it anymore and have been trying to find a good enough excuse to get out of blogging for the longest time (yet "somebody" keeps nagging me to go and do this or that and help out and doesn't seem to have realized quite yet how crappy the whole anime blogger occupation really is) so that I can just be an average forum goer. I've long sincee foudn that forums are generally more intelligent and the topics raised tend to result in discussion, analysis and just plain old fashion fun, whereas blogs they'll more or less suck the life and your I.Q right out of you if you get too involved. The few bloggers and readers that are ok (there's a reason why RC is so dominant and it's because Omni is one of the few mainstream bloggers that puts anime first and himself second) still aren't enough to make it worth really paying attention to the so-called blogosphere as it's now pretty much become another extension of 4chan. And it's only getting worse by the month.

I've found time and time again that there's really no reason to believe anything you read there nor to care about the morons you'll come across and their "opinions" which always somehow get stated as the apparent god given truth. And as for the people that do just subscribe to everything they are told to believe, it's probably because they want to anyway. If a person isn't skeptical enough to not be a loltard, to think for themselves and to have a clue then that's their own problem and they lose the right to an opinion in my....er opinion.

Hey though, if the blogosphere keeps the loltard demographic from interfering to much in places like animesuki then I say let the greater blogosphere stay as an idiot trap.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 05:10   Link #449
Slayerx

Quote:
It definately looks this way.
The question would be: Why? If the Innovators have nanomachines to stop aging, then Ribbons should have all the time in the world to wait for the completion of the plan. There is just no need to speed it up, since he would see the end anyways.
Well, one possibility i floated by is that ribbons may not so much as speeding up the plan, but making it work and more efficient. As an innovator, ribbons sees himself above that of humans and likely less flawed by human emotion and thus less prone to making mistakes and errors... Aeolia on the other hand, while brilliant and behind their creation, was still as flawed as any other human... One possibility is that ribbons looked other Aeolia's plans, recognized the good ideals of it's results at the end, but noticed that the means to obtain those results were flawed... Aeolia made a human error, the plan would not work or it atleast had a decent chance of failing out right and falling apart... ribbons is thus now working on Aoelia's plan, but after he corrected the error... so the results and the same, but the 2nd phase of the plan is different

It could be that Aeolia had intended the earth federation to unite the world through peaceful means... the federation would grow prosper and continue to hold control over the orbital elevator. In time the federation would reach out to the remaining countries and the other countries would fall behind them... ribbons however realized that this would not work or had a high chance of not working as many of the countries might stubbornly remain separate despite all the reasons to join, and the countries that did join would have rebels who did not agree and fight back... some countires would just plain refuse to join the same group that an enemy had joined... possible evidence of this would be Catalan... we are not sure what their ideals are exactly, are they just agaisnt the earth federation's forceful methods, or do they have an ideal beyond that thinking that countries must remain seperate? we don't really know exactly at this point, but if it's a later then that would mean catalan would be fighting even if the earth federation was doing things more peacefully.

Ribbons realized that this flaw must be corrected... as such he included a new element to the plan, the A-laws... The A-laws would use more forceful means to get the countries together and would also crush any and all resistance... Countries would not be given any choice. Sure many would rebel and fight back, but the a-laws power is so overwhelming that it would only be a matter of time before the rebels were crushed and any hope of fighting off the federation was lost. The A-laws would even go so far as using inhumane methods to make certain that any and all resistance was wiped out... this includes overkill methods that may even kill civilians... loosing so horribly is very demoralizing and the civilian casualties that are lost are seen as necessary losses that are kept hidden from the general public. Ribbons felt that such "the ends justify the means" tactics, ones that do not consider remaining humane, brought Aeolia's plan to a much higher chance of success
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 06:49   Link #450
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutype View Post
I will admit that is pretty interesting and I applaud your effort to point this fact out. Having said that wiki says "By the 14th century, belief in a flat earth among the educated was essentially dead."

Keyword here is educated. Most people on the planet at the time still believed in a flat earth. Surely you will agree with me here that most people at the time were not educated. If anything there was a scientific concensus but not a public concensus. These are two different things. So depending how you look at it you could be right and wrong. If you asked the lay-person in the 13 or 14th century about this you will get a different answer from that of an educated person.

You must also acknowledge that there was a time before the 13th century (i had 1st or 2nd century in mind) when concensus really was that the earth is flat. The Christian bible also clearly mentions the earth is flat calling it a circle (a 2 dimentional object, not a sphere). This probably went unchallenged for centuries until the 13th century or so like you mentioned.
(SNIP)

/offtopic rant
offtopic rantn

Job 26:10 He has described a circle on the surface of the waters to the boundary of light with darkness. (MKJV)
//Spherical object with division between night and day. Try it with a flat surface.

Job 26:7 "He stretches out the north over the empty place, and He hung the earth on nothing." (MKJV)
//The Earth floating in space.

Psa 19:4 Their measuring line has gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world; in them He has set up a dwelling-place for the sun,
Psa 19:5 and he comes forth like a bridegroom from his canopy. He rejoices like a hero to run a race;
Psa 19:6 his going forth from the end of the heavens, and his orbit to their ends; and nothing is hidden from his heat. (LITV)
//Orbits, heat and sun.

Isaiah 40:22 It is he that sits upon the circle of the earth"
//Sitting on something round or a ball or a sphere.

PS; Easily find on e-sword bible software.
/offtopic rantff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutype View Post
It was less than 10 yrs ago that the majority of the US population didnt believe in evolution by natural selection (from polls). Instead the concensus of the general population was biblical creation. Having said that, the science-educated or scientists do not dispute evolution by natural selection.
Evolution doesn’t answer DNA’s data structure and quad-state alphabet i.e. you don’t randomly bang together 1s and 0s in creating software programs.

Last edited by encia; 2008-11-25 at 07:14.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 06:50   Link #451
Galerian

I find Aeolia plan as explained by the Innovators a bit strange for a couple of reasons.

Primarely: Why would you want to unite the world in order to increase the colonization of space? Wouldn't a competitive environment, as existed between the 3 Major Power before CB showed up, provide more incentive to develop the technology needed to venture into space? Especially because the three powers have shown in the past (the completion of the Orbital Elevators and the Solar Rings) that they are indeed capable of working together when the situation calls for it.

Also: If the plan is to have CB destroyed: why didn't you build in any safeguards in case the organization you provided with superior technology didn't go down as easily as expected? I am thinking kill switches and secret things that go BOOM!. The only guy you need on your side is Ian as he is the only one who actually understands the tech the Meisters and company are using on that ship of theirs. If you had informed the Meisters of the plan (and maybe recruited professionals instead of dreamers wanting a perfect world), they could have gone to A-LAWS for phase 2.

I could go on. Safe to say: for a plan that was in the works for god knows how many years, it is being poorly executed and has some major flaws. And not enough safeguards. Some one was way to sure of himself.

That or Ribons is lying. It could go either way.
Galerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 07:10   Link #452
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galerian View Post
I find Aeolia plan as explained by the Innovators a bit strange for a couple of reasons.

Primarely: Why would you want to unite the world in order to increase the colonization of space? Wouldn't a competitive environment, as existed between the 3 Major Power before CB showed up, provide more incentive to develop the technology needed to venture into space? Especially because the three powers have shown in the past (the completion of the Orbital Elevators and the Solar Rings) that they are indeed capable of working together when the situation calls for it.

Also: If the plan is to have CB destroyed: why didn't you build in any safeguards in case the organization you provided with superior technology didn't go down as easily as expected? I am thinking kill switches and secret things that go BOOM!. The only guy you need on your side is Ian as he is the only one who actually understands the tech the Meisters and company are using on that ship of theirs. If you had informed the Meisters of the plan (and maybe recruited professionals instead of dreamers wanting a perfect world), they could have gone to A-LAWS for phase 2.

I could go on. Safe to say: for a plan that was in the works for god knows how many years, it is being poorly executed and has some major flaws. And not enough safeguards. Some one was way to sure of himself.

That or Ribons is lying. It could go either way.
I don't have an answer for the first question but from what Regene said at the end about Schenburg still being attached to CB while planning the 3rd phase that he still had plans for them. I think Ribbons was lying as I don't think destroying CB was part of the plans but Ribbons saw the danger of keeping them around for the world he planned to make which I doubt is the same as Schenburg in the end or else he wouldn't have killed him.
Old 2008-11-25, 07:45   Link #453
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galerian View Post
Competitiveness would help speed up the process, pushing each of the three powers to try and develop faster than the others, but that is the only difference; speed... HUmanity is gonna progress regardless of competition, the competition just helps give them more motivation to progress faster... When you consider that Aoelia's plan was 200 years in the making, you can tell that he did not care about rushing progress

for one thing, their is the concept that brilliant minds working together can do wonders (the old saying, two heads are better than one)... working together scientists could potentially judge the work each of them do and correct each other as needed; kinda like having an artist have his worked critiqued by other artists before he presents it; it become a learning experience and good way to recognize flaws...

second of all, and more importantly, a non unified world brings forth many problems and unpredictable factors... for one thing, when the 3 super powers were separate their was still a sense of tension between them...

For one thing, one competition that would exist between the 3 is the arms race... the desire to always keep the latest weapons around and not fall behind the other major world powers. The problem the more funding that goes into military development the less that will go into space development... in a united world, only a minimal military force is needed and there is little need to develop it as their is no serious threats that could oppose the minimal military; as such, much more funding can be sent over to researching and developing for the space colonies.

Another thing are the more unpredictable factors... for one thing, there is always the possibility that a war could break out between the major world powers... if such were to happen the consequences could be disastrous. The damage that could be caused could seriously set back progress by generations. I mean, what if one of the elevators were to be destroyed in a conflict? Scientist lost in battle? an entire colony being distroyed? or what if a sizable chuck were to fall down on to earth(like what happens like once per gundam universe)? the set backs could be enormous... hell, it doesn't even need to be a war between the superpowers, a few crazy terrorists could do serious damage all on their own... a more unified and thus more controlled world would help to reduce the presence of such people

not to mention, with the world remaining separate, we could see things turning out like they do in other gundam series; the colonies wanting independence and thus leading to a war... frankly, i think if the world is united i think the colonies would be less inclined to try and start something unless they get seriously mistreated; afterall, the rest of the world is working together, why shouldn't they quit the team?

All in all, non-unification comes with many problems and makes for a rather unstable world... a unified world, in theory, would be more stable and better able to deal with such problems; i say in theory because a TRULY unified world may just be a pipedream... this is uncertain... Competitiveness may help speed up progress, but humanity will always progress regardless, and in the long run when you look at all this from the prespective of centuries and multiple generations, how FAST you progress, isn't that big of a deal... (exception in the case of serious emergencies... that's when you will want to progress and come up with answer quickly)

i guess you may just have to ask: which would do you think works better for the sake of the world; quick progress by maintaining competition, or a relatively high level of stability?
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 08:25   Link #454
astranagun

Quote:
Personally I think, that competion would advance the world faster than having a unified world.
Though there is indeed the problem, that the different powers would make war on each other. Though this risk can be neglected in Aeolia's plan, since in his plan there is a power, that would immediately step in to stop the conflict: CB!
I think he never indended the world to be unified, but was perfectly fine with having three great powers. CB is there to keep those powers from declaring war on each other. So they can still compete against each other in the development of peaceful technology, but as soon as they start creating conflicts, they get pushed back in line.
But there is a problem with what you said.
If the world advance much faster there will be a point where even CB will be overhelmed,
and then what will happened?

Methinks that a big (maybe world) war may happen.
astranagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 08:37   Link #455
nutype
Future MD

im not sure where this series is going.

It seems to me there are 2 paths. Either we get a CB style world peace or we get an innovator style world unification + space colonization.... It's win-win either way overall. CB is just bickering about it's immoral that innocent bystanders have to be sacrificed in order to achieve the innovator's goals. Yet what the innovators are trying to do and the sacrifices they want to make are just as moral/not moral as what CB is doing.

Of course ribbonz and regene could be lying and if that is the case there might be a problem. I can see the series heading to a plateau where CB defies A laws and the innovators only to force their hand to doing something terribly cliche like dropping some huge asteroid that is in orbit in the attempt to ruin the environment and coerce humanity into space colonization. I really hope that isnt the case though knowing sunrise they are bound to do something like this.
nutype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 12:22   Link #456
miles316

Smile No body

They were ably to recover Soma's mobile sit from the island intact how did Serge explain her death to the high command. With no visible damage to her cockpit or large amount of blood how did they buy her dieing. with no remains to show the A-LAWS, Fed and HRL why did they believe Serge's story of her dieing.
miles316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 12:31   Link #457
astranagun

Killed in the sea after a fight...?

That can be one explanation.
astranagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 12:31   Link #458
miles316

Smile

Quote:
Well, considering that CB recruited leading scientists for 200 years, they would have probably continued to do so to keep their technological edge.
But even if not: If the three world powers only research peaceful technology (or rather are forced to research only this), they shouldn't really become dangerous to CB. Especially after they get used to solving problems by peaceful means.
The descendants of those two hundred scientists after several generations. Least a few would have continued the research and development for CB. Unless they kill them selves every few years after documenting their work. Given that they were ably to coop one or more of the elevators to shlep their MS in to space using privet industry to build parts of their equipments not impossible. They have their fingers in a lot of pies.
Old 2008-11-25, 12:36   Link #459
miles316

Smile Mia

Quote:
Originally Posted by astranagun View Post
Killed in the sea after a fight...?

That can be one explanation.
But her suit landed on land how could she get in to the oceans at most she would be MIA and would A-LAWS not wonder why the CB would leave the unit intact.
Old 2008-11-25, 13:14   Link #460
gaoyuanyuan1

She was confirmed as dead, that means her body has to be found. If she vanished in the sea, how does it make sense that she was killed? But A-Laws doesn't bother to check for her corpse, just one report from Sergei and it is done. It sounds so simple.
gaoyuanyuan1 is offline   Reply With Quote