Notices

Old 2011-05-29, 23:11   Link #461
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
All I can say is this; be patient.
Well, that's what I figured! It's weird that they didn't even name them yet, as far as I remember. I guess they're saving money on seiyuu fees...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 23:26   Link #462
tsunade666

well finally watched the episode. They cut a bit of side comment here and there even though it's funny and when the ED song was shown, I thought they wouldn't show what happen next when Rin give his shirt to Izumo.

I like Izumo more than Shiemi. She has more past than Sheimi in the manga and I like her personality more. Though she is really acting a bad girl in her introduction. Specially in this episode when she turned Shiemi into her slave even though Shiemi just wanted to be friends with Izumo and Paku.
Old 2011-05-29, 23:58   Link #463
Jerseykid

Did rin participate in the paper test at all? They showed everyone but him saying they either could or couldn't do it. Or was this something like not drawing the sword when others are around
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 23:59   Link #464
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Basically.. I would assume since Rin is Satan's son, something would go incredibly wrong if he were to participate in something that requires blood.
Old 2011-05-30, 04:19   Link #465
Lumir

I think there is way more to that little plant summon. I could see some crazy powers hidden withing that lil green guy. Anyways decent episode, guess that guy is being controlled by a demon, as it was placed in Rin's area of living to attack him.

Ah well good ep, now to find that ED...

Ready ready ready for the take off~
Old 2011-05-30, 07:25   Link #466
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

How can you get carried away with lending your clothes to someone?
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 07:48   Link #467
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
^
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
^

Spoiler for Hmm:

For what I know, that "demon" could be as well Mephisto himself. In the end pretty much everyone that works in that crazy campus is receiving orders from a demon.

Anyway I can't help but thinking how bizarre that school and the organization that supports it is. It is supposedly filled with people that fight demons and are supposed to send them back to the gehenna. And yet it's filled with demons and demonic stuff in every corner.

I guess that's a completely different mentality, but for example in the classic D&D setting summoning a demon is an inherently evil act, no matter what use you're going to make of it. Similarly I don't think the Vatican would even remotely consider the idea of using demons to fight demons and it would frown upon everyone that does otherwise (this was in fact well represented in Hellsing).

Well I don't know what's the author's idea on the subject, but personally I wonder, once humanity starts using demons for every mundane task (cooking?), doesn't that mean that the demons are already winning the battle against the celestial realm?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 09:08   Link #468
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It might be because in those settings, demons are inherently evil but in this setting there can be nice demons.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 09:42   Link #469
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Yeah that seems the case. What I find strange, however, is that it is widely accepted by the exorcists in this anime, or that no one questions or is even bothered by the wide use of demons in the school.

Old 2011-05-30, 09:50   Link #470
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
How can you get carried away with lending your clothes to someone?
Apparently when you are Rin anything is possible .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Yeah that seems the case. What I find strange, however, is that it is widely accepted by the exorcists in this anime, or that no one questions or is even bothered by the wide use of demons in the school.
Well I'd think the only one really surprised would be Rin who doesn't know much about exorcists. For pretty much the rest it'd be considered just how things are and a standard thing.

Regardless I wouldn't really be too eager to try and be a tamer in that world. Working with something that could turn on you if you show weakness adds to much stress on an already stressful occupation.
Old 2011-05-30, 11:53   Link #471
larethian

oooh, Shiemi, so cute, just what I would expect of HanaKana. next ep would be awesome.

and well, the fact that all you need to do is tear up the paper mitigates the risk. or if you have a good memory, you can be an Aria.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 12:01   Link #472
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
oooh, Shiemi, so cute, just what I would expect of HanaKana. next ep would be awesome.
She's so irresistible. She has a magnetic aura that just glues you to the screen. Makes it all the more difficult to watch someone treat her like complete garbage.

I really like the class system they introduced this episode, pretty solid selection.
Old 2011-05-30, 12:09   Link #473
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I don't really get why Izumo treated Shiemi like garbage considering she knows what it feels like to not have any friends and should have been able to sympathize with her. I felt so bad for Shiemi. I'm sure Izumo will redeem herself later on but still... what a bitch!

Just like Jan-Poo, I assumed the demon ordering around the teacher was Mephistopheles. He is their boss after all, and I'm sure quite a few exorcists are aware of his identity and resent working for him.
Old 2011-05-30, 12:58   Link #474
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I don't know much about Japanese culture but it may be a bit of Values Dissonance here. Familiars are kinda ingrained in their culture (and you see it in a lot in anime) and aren't seen as bad because their "wiches" and "wizards" or whatever their equivalent is weren't always seen as wicked. In the west we had witch burnings and stuff like that, and anything associated with demons was seen as inherently evil. But maybe the author didn't realise that Christianity has that kind of history, which isn't suprising since he didn't realise that Satan is supposed to suffer in Hell along with everyone else, not rule it like a King. Atleast that's my guess.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-05-30 at 13:08.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 12:59   Link #475
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't really get why Izumo treated Shiemi like garbage considering she knows what it feels like to not have any friends and should have been able to sympathize with her.
I thought so too. You'd think going through something like that would make you want to empathize, but often, people just become bitter and feel like making others suffer the way they did.

Quote:
I'm sure Izumo will redeem herself later on but still... what a bitch!
Yeah, I don't think we'll see much more of that after this episode, but still; what a bitch indeed.
Old 2011-05-30, 13:07   Link #476
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Spoiler for AnE07:

Quote:

Well I don't know what's the author's idea on the subject
If tamers who can fight are sought after, I think the exorcists just view demons as another battle resource in their war against them.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 15:48   Link #477
Azami

Amazing BGM in that action scene
Azami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 15:56   Link #478
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azami View Post
Amazing BGM in that action scene
I second that,in fact it made me wonder if we've got a release date for the OST?
Old 2011-05-30, 16:12   Link #479
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I second that,in fact it made me wonder if we've got a release date for the OST?
I already posted about the release date for the first soundtrack. It's June 22nd.
Old 2011-05-30, 17:43   Link #480
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
I don't really get why Izumo treated Shiemi like garbage considering she knows what it feels like to not have any friends and should have been able to sympathize with her. I felt so bad for Shiemi. I'm sure Izumo will redeem herself later on but still... what a bitch!
She is like that, she needs to act like a bossy bitch to overcompensate her inferiority complexes.

I think that in the end Izumo's friend will leave the exorcist cram school and therefore Izumo losing her entourage will take Shemi as a replacement.

Quote:
I don't know much about Japanese culture but it may be a bit of Values Dissonance here. Familiars are kinda ingrained in their culture (and you see it in a lot in anime) and aren't seen as bad because their "wiches" and "wizards" or whatever their equivalent is weren't always seen as wicked. In the west we had witch burnings and stuff like that, and anything associated with demons was seen as inherently evil. But maybe the author didn't realise that Christianity has that kind of history, which isn't suprising since he didn't realise that Satan is supposed to suffer in Hell along with everyone else, not rule it like a King. Atleast that's my guess.
It does seem that the japanese take on the matter is that way. Ga-Rei, Juuni Kokki, 3x3 Eyes, just to mention a few, all show how the evil creatures can be bound, controlled and used to fight other evil creatures.

It probably sounds more strange than usual to me because:

1) There are christian priests involved, which shouldn't agree with the use of demons

2) Using the evil creatures to fight evil creatures is one thing, using them for mundane tasks is a bit careless.

In particular this second point: If exorcists accept that, then they aren't really that different from demonologists like Crowley. In fact from what it was shown so far it is hard to say whether the main characters are being trained in exorcism or in demonology, probably both. Which means that a demonologist would find those lessons as interesting as any other "exorcist" would.

Hell who knows, maybe the "shrouded guy who never uttered a word" is like that.

Tags
fantasy, shounen