Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2016-04-25, 11:10   Link #481
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
Episode 4

I really wasn't expecting that ending after such relaxed episode..lol. I suppose that Lord guy gave the order to kill Subaru because he thinks he is a spy. It was probably the pink haired maid who did it. Subaru did ask what's the purpose of the pink twin if the blue one was better at everything maid related. Now we know the answer xD. I would be surprised if this turns out not being true.
We have a new checkpoint. I wonder what triggers them.

Btw, loved the loli's VA. It's the same as Kuroko from Toaru majutsu index. That voice always cracks me up
The twin maids also reminded me of the Misaka's clones because of the way they speak. I like them already!
I feel bad I didn't notice it was the same voice actress. Her ablity to flip tone so radically is what made Kuroko work so well.
Old 2016-04-25, 11:14   Link #482
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I hope it doesn't take Subaru a full episode to realize the reason he reset was because he got killed.
Old 2016-04-25, 11:20   Link #483
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I hope it doesn't take Subaru a full episode to realize the reason he reset was because he got killed.
He seems to have realized it at the end of the episode. He might spend some minutes dwelling on it, but he seems to have a good idea of what's going on.
Old 2016-04-25, 11:31   Link #484
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
No, no, nooooo, a BIG NO.
I AM Japanese, and you have the wrong idea.
Calling someone with -tan in real life is absolutely creepy and weird. For ANYONE.
Its is a internet otaku lingo to the maximum level, that is absolutely not encouraged to use in real life.
It is, by no means, the same as -chan. It's a "-chan equivalent that only creepy internet shut-ins would use in real life"

It's basically one of many "annoying" characteristics of Subaru that many readers found extremely jarring. It's done on purpose, of course.
I was wondering what the story was with the whole -tan thing. Now I know.. it characterization of the MC
Old 2016-04-25, 11:39   Link #485
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
After marinating on it for a bit I really think the Maid that is "bad at everything" is the cause of death. The motive seems to be quite clear to me(they suspect him to be a spy?). The episode had the comedic scene where Subaru questions basically "what even is her purpose if her sister does everything better".

Well it would make sense if her purpose was not housework at all - as in an assassin or something like that. Especially likely considering I have yet to see any sort of guards in the mansion. And she seems to be quite good with the knife as shown with potato scene in the kitchen.

IF I was Subaru right now I would make sure to make best friends with that Drill Loli, because she seems like the best source of information and their last scene together seems to indicate that she knows something(since she says its not her business anyway after he leaves). As a bonus, since she is sort of librarian or a library guard, that is also the best way for him to get up to date with this world's fundamentals and politics, so that even when this situation is solved he does not accidentally get himself killed by saying something wrong. The political situation described this episode makes the country look quite on edge.
The 'Maid is a trained killer' make a lot of sense considering the setting. Since is clear that intrigue is king in, so unobvious warriors are likely a good idea, with 'maid' being the best way to keep them around without any suspension being raised, and to ensure there close to hand if things get 'dicey' as well.
Old 2016-04-25, 14:08   Link #486
Applehell

Quote:
He looks to have already realized it himself at the end of the episode. The lack of wounds on his hands, the maids return to being unfamiliar with him and his on shocked expression in taking that all in says everything. All of that points to the undeniable and tangible truth.
Old 2016-04-25, 14:29   Link #487
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
He looks to have already realized it himself at the end of the episode. The lack of wounds on his hands, the maids return to being unfamiliar with him and his on shocked expression in taking that all in says everything. All of that points to the undeniable and tangible truth.
Evidence and logic would say: "I died. Someone killed me in my sleep."

Denial and silliness on the other hand, would say "Did I reset due to the moon?" "Do I need to achieve something in 7 days or else I'll reset." "Is my reset triggered by the mansion?" etc. Also even once he realizes he reset due to death (duh), he then might still go into silly assumptions such as "Do I have grave internal injuries?" "Did I catch a super rare disease and will die if I go to sleep!" etc. So yeah. Here's hoping we don't have to bear with that.
Old 2016-04-25, 14:37   Link #488
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:

Denial and silliness on the other hand, would say "Did I reset due to the moon?" "Do I need to achieve something in 7 days or else I'll reset." "Is my reset triggered by the mansion?" etc. Also even once he realizes he reset due to death (duh), he then might still go into silly assumptions such as "Do I have grave internal injuries?" "Did I catch a super rare disease and will die if I go to sleep!" etc. So yeah. Here's hoping we don't have to bear with that.
Not sure I can even call it denial and silliness. There have been reactions around with basically that kind of thinking. People thinking that his ability has a time factor, had a flag factor where he has to do something in those five days or it's reset, etc. If Subaru does take some time...I might not be able to blame him so much.

I hope not though. At the very least he knows he got reset. And I think that expression of shock is more along the lines of "Oh god, I died." But I could be wrong. I think once he gets to the point of thinking he died he won't go that far. If he had anything like internal injuries or disease then he would certainly have symptoms before that point and I think he'd know that.

I expect once he takes some time to talk to the twins and has the same meeting with Emilia....he'll realize that he was killed and go into the justified paranoia.
Old 2016-04-25, 14:47   Link #489
Applehell

Quote:

Isn't that about just descerning the method of how he died rather than not realizing the fact that he died at all though? I'm pretty sure he's realized died in sleep. The real question for him after coming to terms with it is how and why he didn't feel anything unlike last few deaths. Which are all fair and reasonable questions.
Old 2016-04-25, 14:56   Link #490
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was about as shocked as Subaru when the ending came. I guess we've got some killer maids on our hands. Getting out of this situation probably isn't going to be easy, at least if Subaru wants to stay in the mansion. I wonder if he'll ask to freeload as Emilia suggested this time. He clearly isn't cut out to be a butler.
Maybe, but he's far more eager to work than I expected a shut-in to be...

Quote:
There's nothing all that logic about a reset. I also wonder why getting killed didn't wake him up at least briefly...
Old 2016-04-25, 14:58   Link #491
Tenzen12

He spend lot of his shut in time on training his body, so whatever was reason to drop school it didn't affect his drive.
Old 2016-04-25, 15:34   Link #492
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Maybe, but he's far more eager to work than I expected a shut-in to be...

There's nothing all that logic about a reset. I also wonder why getting killed didn't wake him up at least briefly...
Being A shut-in does not necessarily always mean the same thing. It just means you are not productive member of society, are unemployed, etc. While your usual generic shut-in would not even bother with chores, Subaru has already been established as someone who lived alone and had to take care of his own clothes, protection, etc. There are plenty of esports gamers and other people like that, that could be categorized as shut-ins but don't exactly lead the life of a typical otaku/neet. In Subaru's case from what we know he lives alone, he is socially awkward, he is unemployed and he is a huge nerd when it comes to anime/manga/games. Thus that makes him a shut-in. And I bet a lot of that eagerness comes from "this is parallel world y'all" mindset. Anyone who would be in his situation would be eager to do stuff like that, especially if they were convinced this is a game or something. And a butler position is a common anime cliche too, so since Subaru is thinking in game-logic he would obviously try to "get money via low level quests" or set the right flags for being a harem protagonist. Working as a butler in a mansion where four girls live does both.

There are plenty of methods to kill someone quickly. If someone were just to up and strangle/smother him or slit his throat I am sure he would have woken up. If someone just beheaded him or stabbed him through the heart, I doubt he would have that much time to even wake up. And if he was poisoned, that's even less likely to make him wake up. Hell, since this is magical world for all we know someone just blew up his entire room in an instant or something.

The fact that he did not wake up while being killed actually helps to narrow down the killing method. If Subaru is smart enough, he should realize that his death was most likely very efficient and quick or somehow painless.

Last edited by Harry Dresden; 2016-04-25 at 15:51.
Old 2016-04-25, 16:05   Link #493
Applehell

Eh I don't that has anything to do with it.

In fact I don't think Subaru was much of a shut-in to begin with and that it was more recent phase which is why he's so different than the norm. Plus he did stated the reasons why he's working in the manor, he has nowhere to go, is need of money and Emilia is basically the only person he really knows here. Basically it's good opportunity for him to find his footing. Regardless of how bad he might be at it he's actually earnestly working at his job and learning it. Lastly what he told Emilia about how feel about his week here come across as genuine and would be really odd thing for someone who actually thought he was in game to say. Plus if that was really the case you thing he be looking for guilds, classes, killing monster and the usual RPG tropes. It seems like he actually serious about starting a new life here because it is all he can do. That's even more reason why dying now would affect him more.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-04-25 at 16:22.
Old 2016-04-25, 16:09   Link #494
Jaden

Quote:
The fact that he did not wake up while being killed actually helps to narrow down the killing method. If Subaru is smart enough, he should realize that his death was most likely very efficient and quick or somehow painless.
Well, he is a virtuous guy but not the smartest. And other than that eviscerator woman, he doesn't know any enemies so she will probably be the main suspect.
Old 2016-04-25, 16:28   Link #495
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Being A shut-in does not necessarily always mean the same thing. It just means you are not productive member of society, are unemployed, etc. While your usual generic shut-in would not even bother with chores, Subaru has already been established as someone who lived alone and had to take care of his own clothes, protection, etc. There are plenty of esports gamers and other people like that, that could be categorized as shut-ins but don't exactly lead the life of a typical otaku/neet. In Subaru's case from what we know he lives alone, he is socially awkward, he is unemployed and he is a huge nerd when it comes to anime/manga/games. Thus that makes him a shut-in. And I bet a lot of that eagerness comes from "this is parallel world y'all" mindset. Anyone who would be in his situation would be eager to do stuff like that, especially if they were convinced this is a game or something. And a butler position is a common anime cliche too, so since Subaru is thinking in game-logic he would obviously try to "get money via low level quests" or set the right flags for being a harem protagonist. Working as a butler in a mansion where four girls live does both.
My image of a shut-in is more about a refusal to directly deal with the other people than, well, chores. Protecting one's nest fits into that, so I didn't find it weird. Actually working as a butler is different.

Quote:
There are plenty of methods to kill someone quickly. If someone were just to up and strangle/smother him or slit his throat I am sure he would have woken up. If someone just beheaded him
A beheading doesn't fit with a stealthy assassination.

Quote:
or stabbed him through the heart,
That's not immediately fatal. Though yeah, I wonder if he'd wake up before losing consciousness again as his brain starves. (And that's if the assassin actually gets the heart. Not necessarily the easiest target, and really, why bother?)

Quote:
I doubt he would have that much time to even wake up. And if he was poisoned, that's even less likely to make him wake up.
It probably depends on the poison. What was it? How was it delivered? How did he not get ill before dying?

Quote:
Hell, since this is magical world for all we know someone just blew up his entire room in an instant or something.
Also not very likely. If it wasn't the lord (or ordered by him), that would mean the premier magician of that country can't defend his own home against such an attack. If it was, why would he blow up a room in his own house?

Quote:
Yes. Which is why, I wonder.

Another point: whoever did it can't have known about the reset, and thus wouldn't have purposely taken steps to obfuscate their doing from Subaru. Why bother?

And if they had known, why bother with killing at all? That's the least efficient way of getting rid of him.
Old 2016-04-25, 16:41   Link #496
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Well, he is a virtuous guy but not the smartest. And other than that eviscerator woman, he doesn't know any enemies so she will probably be the main suspect.
I don't know. So far Subaru seems to be quite smart, possibly among smarter protagonists.

Sure he is socially awkward guy who keeps referencing otaku tropes and is bad at things, but he is also shown to be very perceptive individual. After getting over the initial shock from getting into another world, he immediately started observing and deducing what kind of a place it is. And through the loops and deaths he has been shown to be very observative, at least observative enough to read the bowel hunter's fighting style. And he was shrewd enough to haggle with Felt and the old man.

While he might be very socially awkward and kind of flawed as a person, he seems like someone who learns from his mistakes and actually pays attention to the information he gains from his surroundings.

Elsa being the one who did it might cross his mind, but I am sure he is smart enough to realize that he would most likely have woken up from having his stomach slit open considering how slow and painful it was last few times.

He was smart enough to realize how suspicious he himself looks during the dinner conversation so I would not be surprised if he already realized that everyone here could very likely be a suspect.
Old 2016-04-25, 17:07   Link #497
Xical
Phantom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah, while Subaru can use his ability to rewind after dying...
There is some weird idea running in my head lately, what if Subaru ability is not respawn/reset-rewind but respawn/jump?
I mean, there are ppl pointing that every time he respawned at apple shop things were almost the same but not exactly the same, if Subaru is really just reseting/rewinding thing must be exactly the same after each respawn, no differences at all, same with last chapter "reset".
If this true, how it will work on Subaru?
He try to fix things after each dead thinking he is saving everyone in the process because that's how a reset work, you erase and retry, but if he is just jumping he is leaving behind him a multiverse of grief, sadness and death and i don't think he will be able to swallow that.
Old 2016-04-25, 21:27   Link #498
Chosen_Hero

This guy has to be the least shut-in shut-in that I have ever seen, pretty much just like how another charcater was said to be a loner yet he was always surrounded by his harem or people.

Out of all the series i'm watching I guess this is the guilty pleasure of the season for me, not really anything amazing but at least good enough to keep watching, for now at least.

P.S. Really hope he catches on pretty quick about what just happened to him, although him forgetting that the loli killed him the first time around isn't a good sign.
Old 2016-04-25, 21:36   Link #499
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xical View Post
There is some weird idea running in my head lately, what if Subaru ability is not respawn/reset-rewind but respawn/jump?
I mean, there are ppl pointing that every time he respawned at apple shop things were almost the same but not exactly the same, if Subaru is really just reseting/rewinding thing must be exactly the same after each respawn, no differences at all, same with last chapter "reset".
If this true, how it will work on Subaru?
He try to fix things after each dead thinking he is saving everyone in the process because that's how a reset work, you erase and retry, but if he is just jumping he is leaving behind him a multiverse of grief, sadness and death and i don't think he will be able to swallow that.
well this serie is like the movie edge of tomorrow with tom cruise or the manga/novel edge of tomorrow where the mc keep dying and come back and "rewriting the history until he can achieve the "perfect end", if watched that movie or read the manga you could see the same

and to be fair the guy here is very lucky cuz the guy in all you need to kill manga and movie died like 200+ times before the end the guy goes from a useless to a pretty op mc in just "one day"(repeating the same day over and over 200+ times).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
This guy has to be the least shut-in shut-in that I have ever seen, pretty much just like how another charcater was said to be a loner yet he was always surrounded by his harem or people.

Out of all the series i'm watching I guess this is the guilty pleasure of the season for me, not really anything amazing but at least good enough to keep watching, for now at least.

P.S. Really hope he catches on pretty quick about what just happened to him, although him forgetting that the loli killed him the first time around isn't a good sign.
well to be fair it's pretty common the shutt in loners stop to being loners or want to be alone when that things happen in anime/novels/manga it's not like he was the first one, some others did the same, somehow being "the hero" and popular shut down his "shut in" side.
Old 2016-04-25, 22:38   Link #500
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
He's already established that his power sends him back when he dies. He seems to have accepted this as fact, so I can't really see him saying "why'd I reset". Doesn't take Betty long to get ticked at Subaru's "power" to guess her room in an instant. Just how DOES he do that anyway...
This episode certainly provided fuel for the PS shippers, though Puck seems more like a boy (don't know if spirits have genders but still). Additionally, I personally thought it was rather creepy the way Roswaal was holding that girl in his lap and petting her... gave me some serious "bad touch" vibes. Please tell me he doesn't have his servants serve him in that capacity.

On a side note, this is the first time in quite a while that I've heard "Pierot" used specifically as a clown. Whenever people use the term in anime, it's always translated as clown. However, almost every case I've seen was clearly a reference to the Pierot character with his tragic love and desire to make a beautiful girl happy. 90% of the time when they translate the term as "clown" it makes absolutely no sense. For instance, in Shuffle a guy tries to hit on all the girls Rin didn't pick and they turn him down preferring to find a way to keep up the pursuit. The guy then calls himself Pierot. The official translation "I'm a clown" just doesn't sound right, but connecting himself to a character that's shot down constantly for comedic effect makes perfect sense. This is probably the first time I've seen a guy refer to someone as a "Pierot" and clearly mean simply a generic clown.

Anyway, I hope we get to see or hear from Felt again soon. I liked her and want to see how things go. But anyway the connection of the emblem to the royal bloodline certainly clarifies Reinhardt's sudden frantic reaction. If the emblem glowed for her, and it only glowed for the bloodline, that meant that she was also a potential heir to the thrown. The abduction of a daughter of the king is a serious crime indeed, and it also means that she's been kept permanently out of a race she has every right to participate in. It'd certainly be interesting if she won. She may need some education first, but once that's taken care of her familiarity with the shady side of life and with the problems of the heavily classist society would easily prove valuable tools for a wise ruler.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, fantasy