AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-10, 17:19   Link #481
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Honestly, I don't see why Endless Eight would push anyone away from the series. Sure, Endless Eight might have sucked, but it's not the whole series. For people to discard the whole franchise because of one story arc that does nothing to affect the rest of the story... yeah, I just don't really get the rationale behind that. "Endless Eight's repetition was obnoxious, so I refuse to watch Sighs! Even though it's a completely different story and doesn't have that same single flaw!" What the hell. It makes even less sense for newcomers. Endless Eight has been over for three months, why should new viewers consider Endless Eight such a terrible thing? It's not like they had to survive through the Dark Ages.
They are caught up in the hype. It's now cool to bash Haruhi just as it was cool earlier to claim it was the best anime ever. Some already have made up their mind what this franchise is about before ever watching it.

I know quite a few serious anime fans who don't want to give Haruhi a chance because "Isn't that the overhyped moe blob series from a few years ago? Pass"

Sometimes the anime forums and boards are a curse
Old 2009-11-10, 17:23   Link #482
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I know quite a few serious anime fans who don't want to give Haruhi a chance because "Isn't that the overhyped moe blob series from a few years ago? Pass".
I read the comments on Sankaku Complex's Haruhi posts, and that's what most people seem to think... Sad, really.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2009-11-10 at 18:12.
Old 2009-11-10, 18:09   Link #483
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The 2nd half of Geass R2 was a complete disaster, imo... and it had been stretching credibility with its tendency for incredible cliffhanger/plot twist after incredible cliffhanger/plot twist even before then.

Code Geass Season 1 was very close to an anime masterpiece in my opinion, but Sunrise just tried too hard to make Geass R2 the equivalent of Death Note, NGE, Gurren Lagann, and Mobile Suit Gundam all rolled into one... and it just went too over-the-top into virtual self-parody mode. I appreciate their ambitious aims, but it's ultimately what hurt their anime a lot. It's what caused Geass R2's popularity to fade considerably, imo.

Edit: Think of it this way. Haruhi Suzumiya: Sunrise Director is a joke that makes a lot of sense to me.
Ugh....sounds like somebody has been reading too much Blogsuki. I'd get all of what you might have read there out of your head as fast as possible because it's largely a load of memetic BS. And by everything I mean everything regardless of the initial topic of discussion.

I still hold that the disaster that took place during the second half of Code Geass is just as much the fault of bloggers and the fact that it had become popular to bash the show as it was anything that had to do with the writers and producers of the show. It got so bad that people started missing obvious things that would help explain the things they claimed didn't make sense and when confronted with it they would just try to shift the blame back onto the writers until it became the accepted reality that everything was their fault and the "fans" were 100% in the right about everything.

Even worse it lead to the current age of unpleasable fanbases which I think would have nailed Haruhi 2009 if Endless Eight hadn't done it first. Plus we got the whole mythology as opposed to reality based reasoning surrounding the production side of anime trend out of Code Geass R2's reception. For example if a director said one thing and a loudmouth blogger said another, whereas logically one would be inclined to believe the director who is closest to the projects unfolding, now people would listen to the loudmouth blogger and accept their entirely conjured up and more bombastic explanation for why something happened in a show just because it sounded edgy and had memetic quotability. Bad stuff.....

Quote:
People don't differentiate between moe and moeblob. Haruhi, Mikuru, and even Yuki can all be very moe (i.e. cute)... but they still have very realistic body proportions and anatomy.

This is what distinguishes Haruhi 2006 from HarYui 2009.
I always interpreted moeblob to simply mean that the characters personality is indistinguishable from their dominant moe fetish appeal rather than the style in which they are animated. Although at times they tend to cross over like with HarYui.

Quote:
It has the potential to be a groundbreaking anime masterpiece. I wouldn't bet on it, but I wouldn't be surprised by it either.

Totally agree. Well said.
Everything with a big budget kind of has the potential to be a groundbreaking anime masterpiece, but I'll say right now that only a select few adaptations have made it into my category of masterpiece and so far none of them have been light novels. To be judged as a good anime by me isn't terribly difficult, it just has to be fun. In that sense I would call the first Haruhi season a pretty good anime. However the next leap to masterpiece is pretty much a steeper climb then all the ones on the way from schlock to solid combined.
Old 2009-11-10, 18:19   Link #484
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
*snip*
No, Geass R2 really was that bad most of the time.

It was more a fault of the execs rather than the writers, but still, compared to the first season, it was bad.

Ending fucking rocked though.

Quote:
I always interpreted moeblob to simply mean that the characters personality is indistinguishable from their dominant moe fetish appeal rather than the style in which they are animated.
Since when is anyone but Mikuru designed entirely to be Moe Fetish Appeal?

Furthermore, Haruhi does not qualify as a moeblob anime simply because most of the focus is actually directed to its male characters, especially in Sighs.

If an anime spends most of its time focusing on the (awesome) male lead rather than the cute girls who have a crush on him, I refuse to consider it a moeblob anime. But that's me.

Quote:
*snip*
To me, adaptations are usually better than original anime, especially if the adaptation is a work that has already been completed.

Why?

Because original anime 'writers' never, ever, ever, ever have a clue how they want to end the story. And the ending is one of the most important parts, as it sticks the longest in the mind of the audience. It's a miracle if the eventual ending is ever any good.

In this sense, Geass is certainly miraculous...
Old 2009-11-10, 18:50   Link #485
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
To me, adaptations are usually better than original anime, especially if the adaptation is a work that has already been completed.
Well, that's if they decide to stick 100% with the source. Since...

Quote:
Because original anime 'writers' never, ever, ever, ever have a clue how they want to end the story. And the ending is one of the most important parts, as it sticks the longest in the mind of the audience. It's a miracle if the eventual ending is ever any good.
...They seem to want to give a series their own spin on the ending, and wind up failing.
Old 2009-11-10, 18:53   Link #486
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
What does any of this have to do with this movie or Disappearance? Seriously, I understand that this is the only discussion thread that actually seems to be getting any attention in this particular forum, but there's gotta be a better place for this discussion.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-10, 18:54   Link #487
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Well, that's if they decide to stick 100% with the source. Since... they seem to want to give a series their own spin on the ending, and wind up failing.
Yup. Anime 'writers' are generally pompous gits who think they know better than REAL authors.

It's why the industry is uttering its death rattle artistically whereas light novels and manga are still going relatively strong.

That said, if KyoAni isn't too pretentious with this movie and merely accomplishes their usual epic artistic efforts, with an injection of sheer atmospheric beauty reminiscent of the Kara no Kyoukai movies, it ought to be the most badass thing ever, given the strength of the source material.
Old 2009-11-10, 18:55   Link #488
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
What does any of this have to do with this movie or Disappearance? Seriously, I understand that this is the only discussion thread that actually seems to be getting any attention in this particular forum, but there's gotta be a better place for this discussion.
So disscussing how good of quality the movie will be and whether it will be faithful to the novel has nothing to do with the movie?

Quote:
Yup. Anime 'writers' are generally pompous gits who think they know better than REAL authors.

It's why the industry is uttering its death rattle artistically whereas light novels and manga are still going relatively strong.
That same thing can be felt in western film as well. I don't know how many times I've been ticked at how an ending to a film based off a book I liked was because of poor choices in how to end it. I'm all for giving an original spin, but most of the time is just doesn't seem to work. Honestly, It seems as though endings in general seem to pull at the minds of writers and tell them, "here is your chance to make it your own, you can do better than the original ending".
Old 2009-11-10, 19:03   Link #489
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Honestly, It seems as though endings in general seem to pull at the minds of writers and tell them, "here is your chance to make it your own, you can do better than the original ending".
This is why I like KyoAni: Because they generally don't do this, and when they do they're usually damned competent at it.

That said, I hope they don't change a damn thing about Disappearance's ending. It was perfect.
Old 2009-11-10, 19:04   Link #490
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
So disscussing how good of quality the movie will be and whether it will be faithful to the novel has nothing to do with the movie?
What does Code Geass R2 have to do with any of what you just said?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-10, 19:06   Link #491
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
This is why I like KyoAni: Because they generally don't do this, and when they do they're usually damned competent at it.
That right there is a big reason why I'm more hopeful towards this movie than I usually am with most films. I can confidently assume that it will be a faithful adaptation.
Old 2009-11-10, 19:16   Link #492
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
No, Geass R2 really was that bad most of the time.

It was more a fault of the execs rather than the writers, but still, compared to the first season, it was bad.

Ending fucking rocked though.
Well I disgree, I think it was largely the way people chose to receive it, but I know the people that were deep into the trends that dominated it's reception at the time will always insist it was just the right way to react to and label the show.

Quote:
Since when is anyone but Mikuru designed entirely to be Moe Fetish Appeal?

Furthermore, Haruhi does not qualify as a moeblob anime simply because most of the focus is actually directed to its male characters, especially in Sighs.

If an anime spends most of its time focusing on the (awesome) male lead rather than the cute girls who have a crush on him, I refuse to consider it a moeblob anime. But that's me.
I actually kind of agree, but I also think that Kyon is a stronger and more cleverly written character than all of the girls combined. I also think the series would be a lot more typical and nothing special without the Kyon character. I really have to appreciate the fact that he's there to add another side to what really would just be run of the mill antics (albeit it well animated antics) and to question the validity and sanity of a lot of what goes on.

Quote:

Why?

In this sense, Geass is certainly miraculous...
I think that the whole making things up as one goes pitfall applies to anything that lasts for an extended period of time and that it affects works that get adaptations just the same. Especially when the work being adapted isn't finished so you get those multi-season affairs in bursts of 12 episodes that have tacked on made for TV endings that then often have to get retconned at the start of the next season.........Shana....

In that sense who is to say that Tanigawa has any idea where he wants to go with Haruhi? In many ways the signs point to him not really having an idea of where he's going with this whole affair considering how the story just kind of seems to meander through short stories and longer wacky antic filled adventures after the first novel. Not to mention how he still hasn't put out that 10th volume to follow up on the 9th one where it finally felt that for first time since the first novel something was actually starting to happen that would move the franchise forward. Curious timing this hiatus.

Also in my eyes adaptations are typically just an easy way out of having to come up with fresh ideas and the increase in them in the later part of this decade has kind of lead to a stagnation in the anime market on both sides of the pacific. I also think the quality of an adaptation is largely dependent on the quality of the source and the degree to which the people doing the adaptation care about doing it justice.

Then again I say this in the fact that the vast majority of my favourite anime come from ideas that are conceived as anime in the first place. When you have a format in mind you tend to have the best chance at exploiting all the potentials of that format and perhaps even furthering it with some new ideas.

Part of the increase in adaptatons has to do with the economy and eventually something has got to give with the way anime is going, but I think somebody has already found the answer I am looking for and a way out. In chosing to forgoe a straight up adaptation of the original Mazinger story by Go Nagai and instead going with his own vision of what he felt it should be I think Yasuhiro Imagawa may have found the perfect bridge between adaptation and original series. This way you mix the power of a proven title that is sure to get executives to pay attention with the desire to have your own original ideas worked into a narrative. Now that's genius, but also another story since Haruhi's fanbase is the kind that I think would freak if Kyoani ever strayed from the source material (and in fact already did when it happened with Endless Eight) so the likelihood of it happening again in the movie seems slim to me.

I'll just end this post by saying I vastly prefer reimagining to adaptations and in a lot of cases even as much as "original" ideas.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-11-10 at 19:53. Reason: Removed the taunt because people just can't help spoiling the novels in response
Old 2009-11-10, 19:39   Link #493
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Please keep this thread on topic (no more generic Haruhi-is/is-not-a-moeblob-anime, Endless Eight, or all the usual crap that has been discussed a million times and isn't really relevant here) and DO NOT post any spoilers that hint at any movie content based on the content of the novels.
Old 2009-11-10, 19:40   Link #494
Jintor

Quote:
I actually kind of agree, but I also think that Kyon is a stronger and more cleverly written character than all of the girls combined. I also think the series would be a lot more typical and nothing special without the Kyon character. I really have to appreciate the fact that he's there to add another side to what really would just be run of the mill antics (albeit it well animated antics) and to question the validity and sanity of a lot of what goes on.
This

Relentlessflame, couldn't you just mod Kaisos's post adding spoilertags, or do you only have the power to DESTR- I mean, delete?
Old 2009-11-10, 19:41   Link #495
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Whoa.

I was trying to be as vague as possible, but I would simply have added spoiler tags if needed. I apologize.

Anyway, as I've stated before, 150 minutes means this movie is going to be kickass, no question about it.
Old 2009-11-10, 19:44   Link #496
Jintor

(Assuming KyoAni adheres to previously-known standards of quality)

And given that we have concluded largely that this is an all-or-nothing bet, well, you'd better believe they're bringing their A-game!
Old 2009-11-10, 19:51   Link #497
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Relentlessflame, couldn't you just mod Kaisos's post adding spoilertags, or do you only have the power to DESTR- I mean, delete?
No. As I've explained before many times, future event spoilers are not allowed in this thread, even behind spoiler tags. You are not allowed to discuss anything that happens in the novels that will be covered in this movie in this thread. I know some people don't like this rule, but that is the spoiler policy at this time.

Plus, as someone who hasn't read the books, I don't appreciate having the movie spoiled for me.
Old 2009-11-10, 20:03   Link #498
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Oh wow, afk for 2 days and suddenly I find confirmation on the release date AND that its gonna be 150min long... I was like "Wow, its only been 2 days, feels like I've missed a lot for some reason"

Dunno if this has already been mentioned, sorry if it has, but something just came to mind...
Spoiler:

EDIT: Not sure if this counts as spoiler, but added tags just in case. Yes, I'm aware of the "no future content, even behind spoiler tags" rule. Just not sure whether this one qualifies.

禁則事項です
Old 2009-11-10, 20:18   Link #499
Bri

Will be interesting to see how good Kyoani's A-game is. It's major league time now

Wonder at what level of animation it will be.

Hopefully better then JC Staff's Shana. I'd be happy if it's near Bones' Eureka 7 movie or Madhouses Paprika. Production IG is going to be hard to match with GITS and PL, and I don't even dare to dream of Gainax' Honneamise.

Last edited by Bri; 2009-11-15 at 19:02. Reason: keep mixing up JC Staff and Shaft
Old 2009-11-10, 22:56   Link #500
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
The price of the tickets would probably be $8-15 or something... if it is released here and more money from the DVD/Blu-ray

Tags
science fiction, shounen