AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-01-27, 17:18   Link #5101
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Yes.

Know how we call some things a curbstomp?

Well, this is the Unit in which Curbstomp is measured.

I'd say Crash's Curbstomp here was about 60 miliShrikes.
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 17:19   Link #5102
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not calling him a lame antagonist, I'm just noting that a fan making such a character would have been bombed to hell and back.

It's like art. As long as an artist makes it, even two lines on a paper is brilliant. Let someone else do it, and he'll be laughed at.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 17:21   Link #5103
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Quote:
Well, the Shrike is supposed to make everyone in the books, and the readers, wet their pants. Dan Simmons was successful.
Even makes fictional characters in totally unrelated 4rth wall crossovers wet their pants... ^_^
Old 2009-01-27, 17:52   Link #5104
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not calling him a lame antagonist, I'm just noting that a fan making such a character would have been bombed to hell and back.

It's like art. As long as an artist makes it, even two lines on a paper is brilliant. Let someone else do it, and he'll be laughed at.
Your point about art is well-taken. Though, if done by an experienced, proven artist, there's the assumption that they intended to create "art" instead of just happened to be scribbling on paper. Hypothetically. Maybe.

With regard to "fan" versus "original" Mary Sues, though, it's a bit different. About 75% of any "Mary Sue" test is indistinguishible from "genre fiction protagonist." The point...well, the original point, before the term got corrupted all to hell and back*...was that the fan is writing in somebody else's universe and so their OC shouldn't really be the protagonist of that particular narrative. Personally, I feel that the phrase "Canon Sue" is an oxymoron.

*now having become synonymous with "a character the speaker doesn't like"...
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 18:02   Link #5105
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
"Canon Sue" is a common criticism adressed by the fan community against a canon character that the writers of a show seems to like a little too much. Example in live action TV series would be Sylar from "Heroes", in anime and manga it would be Naraku from "Inu Yasha" and Lacus from "gundam Seed", (in the touhou franchise, the Yorihime sisters from Silent Sinner in Blue are two of them). They are canon, but are so persistant and bend canon so much to the whims of the writers that they becomes annoying. And often writers doesn't seem to realize that their darlings just annoy the hell of the fanbase.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 18:12   Link #5106
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
"Canon Sue" is a common criticism adressed by the fan community against a canon character that the writers of a show seems to like a little too much. Example in live action TV series would be Sylar from "Heroes", in anime and manga it would be Naraku from "Inu Yasha" and Lacus from "gundam Seed", (in the touhou franchise, the Yorihime sisters from Silent Sinner in Blue are two of them). They are canon, but are so persistant and bend canon so much to the whims of the writers that they becomes annoying. And often writers doesn't seem to realize that their darlings just annoy the hell of the fanbase.
Oh, I know what one is (though it often crosses over with The Wesley). I just call them "bad writing" (or, if I'm being particularly honest, "writing I don't like").

Though your phrasing is conveniently close to my personal definition of a "Mary Sue": an original character created in non-original-canon fiction for the purpose of altering the existing canon for the author's purpose.*

*such as "so the author can fantasize about sleeping with the hot vampire guy" or "so the author's preferred ship can hook up" or...
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 18:29   Link #5107
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Oh, I know what one is (though it often crosses over with The Wesley). I just call them "bad writing" (or, if I'm being particularly honest, "writing I don't like").

Though your phrasing is conveniently close to my personal definition of a "Mary Sue": an original character created in non-original-canon fiction for the purpose of altering the existing canon for the author's purpose.*

*such as "so the author can fantasize about sleeping with the hot vampire guy" or "so the author's preferred ship can hook up" or...
So in this topic, you and I are on the same wavelenght, I too have the tendency to blame it on bad writing and poor execution.

One of my favorite characters in fantasy litterature is an handsome albino nobleman who rules over a declining empire that last over 10000 years. He is a very accomplished sorceror, made pacts with Lords of Chaos, he is physically weak and cannot walk unless he takes drugs or gets vital force from the souls harvested by his black sword. His journey is filled with tragedies, the woman he loved was killed by himself, he brought down his own empire and he ultimately managed to offer his world a new chance after the Lords of the Law and those of the Chaos destroyed it. His sword ultimately killed him.

His name is nothing more than Elric of Melniboné, he have everything that usually ring my Sue alarms:
Handsome? Check.
Nobility? check.
Race that is not human? Check.
Awesome sword that is very imba? Check.
Tragic life? Check.
Tragic end? Check.
Messianic kind of death? Check.

Under the pen of Michael Moorcock, what appeared to be the formula for badly written characters just turned into one of the more famous antiheroes of the genre, and my favorite to this day.
So it is again up to execution and the skill of the author, something that is trained over days, months and years (a spark of natural talent also does help).

Ooops, I carried myself away, perhaps the people of this thread want to move on another topic.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 21:26   Link #5108
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

This IS a character creation thread; I can't think of anything more relevant.

That said, I too think character execution is far more important than creation.

*hops off soapbox*
LimitedEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 21:44   Link #5109
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
This IS a character creation thread; I can't think of anything more relevant.

That said, I too think character execution is far more important than creation.

*hops off soapbox*
I agree with that. It's how a character is portrayed that makes a sue.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 22:41   Link #5110
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

One entertaining SUE I like is the one that has all the SUE traits, but thinks he/she's in the worst possible position of their life--

"You have incredible fighting skills to match the greatest masters."

"I'm attacked by ninjas every freakin day! I can't even sit down to dinner without fighting for it! You think I enjoy that?

"You're a master chef."

"I had to learn to cook because nobody wants to be around the ninja magnet! And if I wanted to eat anything edible, I had to learn to cook GOOD."

"You're incredibly fit and have looks to match."

"Comes with the terratory... having to fight just to eat on a daily basis makes it hard to turn into a fat ugly slob."

"All the girls swoon in your pressence, you could bed any of them."

"No thanks. Last girl I dated got abducted by this lord of terror... I had to fight through a thirty level dungeon to rescue her... and they had an elevator with no guards round back."

"You have vast wealth."

"Looted the dungeon. Got a hell of a bargain for this priceless clay pot I found in an otherwise empty cell around level twelve."

"You have the Sword of Great Power."

"Found it in a pawn shop, looked neat, didn't cut anything until I sharpened it first."

"You're also the chosen one."

"Well, that explains the ninjas... Just because I look like the description in some old book, some evil overlord BASTARD decides I need killing off. How Arbitrary is that? Haven't you people ever heard of the term 'self fullfilling prophecy'? Do these guys ever realize that half the time they MAKE their worst enemies?"

"But you have everything! Looks, Power, Money, Girls! What more could you ask for?"

"Peace and quiet? Sanity? DINNER? My life's a headache that goes non-stop. I'm constantly saving the world, but not because I'm some kind of hero or have this rightious calling to bring justice, but because if I don't... THEY, JUST, WON'T, LEAVE, ME, ALONE!!!! You wanna' try it? Be my guest, the ninjas are here. If they stick to the pattern the first one's coming through the window in ten seconds. I suggest you stand over there with a gun."
Old 2009-01-28, 05:31   Link #5111
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Yes, the Clone Wars series is one of the things that kindled the spark. Heck, they even made Anakin likable.
Certainly felt a lot more fun, and a lot less effort than reading the books (which George said weren't canon) or playing the games (that I don't have computing power for).

Quote:
The live action series starting this year may provide us with some answers to that question. The rumor mill says Daniel Logan (the kid who played Boba Fett in Episode II) has been asked to portray Boba Fett again in this series.
...let me add that Outercadia also makes me dodge Ion Canon a lot, even in other series...

In other news, I wonder if Kalan could make Keroko scream like her Nanohaverse counterpart did, since he's first a pilot of a souped-up starfighter then a sharpshooter.

*is frothing in Khrack >_<*

Quote:
That's why Cadia is awesome. :3
Regrettably.

Quote:
Already found, examined, and given to her familiar.
Looks like the next stage of Kluize's plan has already happened. All that is left is the retrieval of the 2 halves of the Lich King, and the resurrection.

Quote:
Mada mada.
Hayasugiru!!!

Quote:
Depends. Is that scene Kerokanon? Yes it is. Does Keroko normally bite people? No, not really. But then, she hasn't been allowed to do anything fun and has been starved on a diet for months. Combine that with her temper and Kha simply chose a bad time to start teasing.
Kha cast Flash of Light, healing himself for 2354 health.

Quote:
Actually, if it weren't for the Elric-Kha snip, I think this would have been my first time writing a scene with another OC ever.

>_>

<_<
Quote:
Hmmm...

>___+
Old 2009-01-28, 06:04   Link #5112
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
What? Going after older women now?
Not really. It's just called appreciating a woman's charms regardless of age-

*DOGGA THUNDER SLAP'D*

Quote:
Oi, at least I'm trying to balance this and not make it haxx
Yeah. ><

Quote:
Well it did hit the FFT for a very vrief time...though that would be my fault...

Obama's got more on his table than what it seems... @_@

Quote:
*pokes the tender yet squishy remains*

You just don't learn, do you?
*squishes around*

Sorry... T___T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Dark Noland is pretty awesome and I caught myself voiceacting him a little while I was reading.
Voice clips. NAO.

Quote:
Well they can be interessting.
But of course you are right, a high rank does not mean it is a mery-sue.

Quote:
Depends. Is that scene Kerokanon? Yes it is. Does Keroko normally bite people? No, not really. But then, she hasn't been allowed to do anything fun and has been starved on a diet for months. Combine that with her temper and Kha simply chose a bad time to start teasing.
Very much noted... >___<

XD

Quote:
Probably because she did.
Ahh, I knew I had a good grasp Tesla's personality...

*STURMZEICHEN'D!!!*

X____X

Quote:
Hayate/Aurion counsel talks are fun to read.
>_>

<_<

>_<

Thanks... ^^;;

Quote:
When I said 'after' I meant as in 'as soon as he got his ass back to the lab after becoming part of RF6' after.
I see.

That means that Keroko's choke hold would have Aurion's neck aching for more than a week...?

Quote:
Actually, if it weren't for the Elric-Kha snip, I think this would have been my first time writing a scene with another OC ever.
There's a first time for everything...

Quote:

Oh yes, first time indeed... That's cute, though. :3 And nice Avy/sig combo! It's about time you changed the hair and eye colors. >=3

*stares at Kha sitting in corner, clutching his head and chanting "He's a guy. He's a guy. X 10000000"*

()

Quote:
She's human, however she went through genetic alteration akin to those used in the times of Belka. It allowed her a larger mana pool, and extended her vitality.
Noted. >:3

Quote:
It should be noted that though she loathes devices that do the mages work for them, she has no problem with mages themselves, nor with devices that lack the autonomy for self-conscious actions (Unison Devices are an even different category, as they are created through magic more so then science). To put it bluntly, a Device without intelligence is like picking up an axe, while a Device with intelligence is like hiring a Gardner.
Well, she does have her standards, does she...

She's not gonna like what Aurion would do with Hayate's tome in GenerationS... >_< (Tiara, deshou?)

Quote:
This is one reason why she holds a glimmer of respect for Hayate, whom using little more then a non-intelligent Storage Device, can cast quite the array of spells. Though she is severely disappointed at the initiative of bot the girl herself as well as the Bureau to train her to harness those skills.

Oh yes, she's not gonna like how Hayate's situation regarding devices would change in GenerationS...>___>

Quote:
*scribble scribble* Noted. I tried to make it sound professional, but it looks like I didn't get it right. The debate is one the two have had for years. It's almost a ritual-of-greeting.
I see. Well, at least that's clear now.

Quote:
Very possible. Keine is not part of the TSAB. She's a scientist, not a soldier, and since she has no need for military grade equipment, she has no need to be part of the TSAB. The Bureau... what's the word... Condone? Tolerate? It's hard to translate such a Dutch word as gedogen. Anyway, they allow her to roam around freely and keep an eye shut, if only because her research has been invaluable in the past. So far she hasn't caused any serious incidents... yet.
I'll take that as a yes, then. Thanks!

Her situation is a little difficult to walk around at first, but I think now have a solution. >:3

Quote:
Aurion is well aware that Keine cares for few things beyond her research, and while she does not want to see any dimension destroyed (destroyed dimensions make for lousy research subjects) nor make an enemy out of the TSAB, she is wiling to go quite far to get the results she wants.
Ahh, a good hint why they get along so well. >:3

Quote:
Hmmm...
*sees Kha twitching at the floor...*

Quote:
She's not 'happy' with it, let's say that. However, she doesn't see it as worth to create a fight over. If Aurion is stubborn about it, I guess it would go something like this:

1st time: "Could you please refrain from doing that?"

2nd time: "Do you intend to make yourself look old, Dauer?"

3rd time: "I believe I have told you before to refrain from doing that."

4th time: *sighs*

5th and further: repeat 4, perhaps alternate with 2 occasionally.
Perfect.

Noted for future reference. >3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Spoiler for Length:
Oh yes, we hardly ever get to ear about the side of these very busy fellows. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post

>_>

<_<

>___+
Psst, Keroko!

*secretly hands over some of Kha's lines in IRC today.*

Spoiler for Kha:

He's weak now, how about you finish him off? ;3

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 06:12   Link #5113
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:

And like every character ever, viewpoints on the Shrike differ.

Personally I think that by the time of the Endymion novels, the Shrike became kind of overused; if it had been anything other than a deus ex machina (almost literally) plot device, it would have been considered out of character.

-

All the Mary Sue discussion reminds me that I need to write something else about Lumina. Keep her fresh in everyone's minds, so when I bring her up people can say "oh, you mean your Mary Sue character."
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 06:51   Link #5114
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

The SHRIKE is one of those things that is horribly broken, but in its brokenness, spawns a kind of legend of itself. Even if the SHRIKE itself is something of a no-no in stories, its existence creates a refference from which to spawn symbolism. Just as Nanoha has earned the title White Devil that Befriends her Enemies (Often by brute force), the Shrike is the unstoppable bastard that temporal-teleport speedblitzes your ass.

It adds flavor. To say that in the story Crash read hyperion, and refferencing the shrike, he decided to try a teleport spam. It builds depth to him from a thinking perspective that he's taking things unrelated to the story and applying them, just as a person would in real life.

It's also a method of story telling that allows the characters to relate more to the reader. Just like pop-culture refferences. It's really too bad that the way copyright laws and licensing work, you can't so much as say the name of something without getting slapped with a lawsuit. I like how Anime has dealt with that. You can tell in Ah My Goddess it's a Coca Cola can. But, it's not.

Incidently, The SHRIKE's behavior is based on an actual behavior of the birds of the same name:

shrike 
–noun
any of numerous predaceous oscine birds of the family Laniidae, having a strong, hooked, and toothed bill, feeding on insects and sometimes on small birds and other animals: the members of certain species impale their prey on thorns or suspend it from the branches of trees to tear it apart more easily, and are said to kill more than is necessary for them to eat.

Vicious.
Old 2009-01-28, 07:51   Link #5115
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
Psst, Keroko!

Spoiler for Kha:

Finishing him off? All you need, is just a little Maria+Holic.

Comes with free Sea of Nosebleed.
Spoiler for another guy:
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 09:05   Link #5116
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Psst, Keroko!

Spoiler for Kha:

Ko-ko-kokon- KONO GAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post

Spoiler for another guy:
[Vice]WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS?!?!?![/Vice]
Old 2009-01-28, 09:13   Link #5117
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Voice clips. NAO.

I once voice acted for a megaman fangame before, but it was canceled.

Quote:

Oh yes, first time indeed... That's cute, though. :3 And nice Avy/sig combo! It's about time you changed the hair and eye colors. >=3

*stares at Kha sitting in corner, clutching his head and chanting "He's a guy. He's a guy. X 10000000"*

()
lulz

Don't worry! Keroko taught me already that it's alright to think of guys as cute.
See it as a kind of GAR... he's GAR so it's okay to be gay for him!

Quote:
*sees Kha twitching at the floor...*
Quote:
Psst, Keroko!

Spoiler for Kha:

It's alright! It's alright! Daijoubu! Daijoubu! [/Chiho-chan]

Quote:

Spoiler for another guy:
Bah! This guy is not even half as cute!
Old 2009-01-28, 09:39   Link #5118
Aaron008R

Quote:

Spoiler for another guy:
Ugh... Not exactly the kind of trap many people would like to get subjected to...>_>

Quote:
Ko-ko-kokon- KONO GAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!
*whistles innocently*

What?

Quote:
[Vice]WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS?!?!?![/Vice]

Quote:
I once voice acted for a megaman fangame before, but it was canceled.
Aww...

Quote:
Don't worry! Keroko taught me already that it's alright to think of guys as cute.
I personally think you're missing the point... ^^;;
It has nothing to do with being GAR. It's about being a ludicrously convincing TRAP. Like this:

Spoiler for TRAP in the middle:

It doesn't help that Keroko acts accordingly. He pulls off the act so well that even I go at times...

Quote:
Bah! This guy is not even half as cute!
I actually agree, this guy makes me feel a bit sick in the stomach. >_>

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 09:44   Link #5119
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Aww...

I was one of the evil robotmasters!

Quote:
I personally think you're missing the point... ^^;;
It has nothing to do with being GAR. It's about being a ludicrously convincing TRAP.
But my good sir, he would be a trap if his gender was unknown.
But we all (or at least most of us) know he's a guy so it's not a trap anymore.
Thus my statement with the "kind of GAR".

Well... he calls himself a trap sometimes so it seems my statement was indeed flawed right from the start.
Old 2009-01-28, 09:47   Link #5120
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Certainly felt a lot more fun, and a lot less effort than reading the books (which George said weren't canon) or playing the games (that I don't have computing power for).
Any half-decent WoW capable computer can play KotoR. Go play KotoR.

Quote:
In other news, I wonder if Kalan could make Keroko scream like her Nanohaverse counterpart did, since he's first a pilot of a souped-up starfighter then a sharpshooter.

*is frothing in Khrack >_<*
Ah, no. Remember this Keroko is trained by Clones and fights alongside Clones, that includes riding Gunships, which as you know aren't exactly the mos stable of aircraft.

Quote:
Looks like the next stage of Kluize's plan has already happened. All that is left is the retrieval of the 2 halves of the Lich King, and the resurrection.
If resurecting him is her plan in the first place.

Quote:

>_>

<_<

>___+
*Looks at Kha's twitching form*

Is this a case of 'death by moe?'

Quote:
I see.

That means that Keroko's choke hold would have Aurion's neck aching for more than a week...?
Ghost pain.

Quote:

I have 19 more to go. That might explain why it took so long. The signature is courtesy of AtomicoX, by the way (whom also roped me into EVE yesterday <_<) so all credit to him.

Quote:
Well, she does have her standards, does she...

She's not gonna like what Aurion would do with Hayate's tome in GenerationS... >_< (Tiara, deshou?)

Oh yes, she's not gonna like how Hayate's situation regarding devices would change in GenerationS...>___>
Nope, not at all.

Quote:
I'll take that as a yes, then. Thanks!

Her situation is a little difficult to walk around at first, but I think now have a solution. >:3
I should add that while she doesn't actively seek trouble with the TSAB, she doesn't even remotely consider their rules and laws in her research either.

You could say Keine is what Jail could have been, had he not decided to get visions of grandeur and world domination.

Quote:
Psst, Keroko!

Spoiler for Kha:

I'm a subject in the IRC chat now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
All the Mary Sue discussion reminds me that I need to write something else about Lumina. Keep her fresh in everyone's minds, so when I bring her up people can say "oh, you mean your Mary Sue character."
Ironically, your Mary Sue comes closer to ATC's example then a real Mary Sue.

If we look at the origin, the very first Mary Sue ever, the one which originates the term, the name, and therefore the best definition of a Mary Sue, then a Mary Sue is a 'perfect' character who can do nothing wrong, gets all the guys/girls, nobody dislikes him/her and she single-handedly defeats every enemy.

Lumina doesn't really fit the bill of any of these.

- She's flawed.
- Not all the guys and girls fall for her (if any at all have <_<)
- Last I checked, she gives Teana headaches.
- She hasn't really fought a lot, or won a lot, so the last point is still up in the air.

But by all means, please don't stop keeping her fresh in our minds. We enjo her presence.

Quote:

Spoiler for another guy:
There's better ones for him.

Spoiler for Like this one.:

Quote:
lulz

There is nothing wrong with thinking of guys as cute.

If what you see is cute, it's cute. If it happens to be a guy, who cares? If you see a male bunny, does that make it any less cute then a female one?

Cute is cute. Regardless of gender.

Quote:
But my good sir, he would be a trap if his gender was unknown.
But we all (or at least most of us) know he's a guy so it's not a trap anymore.
Thus my statement with the "kind of GAR".
*brzzt* Traps are merely guys that look and/or act like girls. Whether their identity as traps is known is irrelevant. Take Jun for example, the most famous of traps. Everybody knows he's a guy, they make that clear in the first scene he appears, and Jun himself doesn't deny it either. Yet, he's still a perfect trap, and even has a fanclub consisting of not only female, but male members as well.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content