AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-10-30, 03:14   Link #501
Botan_TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
The series showed us at the beginning not-Germany being one of the most powerful Army in the world, able to conquer a huge portion of Europe without problem. This is the premise showed every single episode in the past and we need to add the fact that there is a little country (Fine's country) in danger because this Overpowered army is going after that territory.
You are missing one thing. A little country lies in Alps, in mountains. Not-Germany apparently have not conquered anything in mountains yet. In such terrain you can't make a proper Blitzkrieg, because you have closed routes - valleys, which cannot be omitted.

Allies had a serious problems with moving forward in Italy, Soviets had serious problems when crossing Carpathian mountains, or Italian-Austrian front was barely moving during whole Great War. I mean even without Izetta play not-German army in that valley in ep. 5 could be destroyed.

Now not-Germans may just try attacking all valleys.

I agree on that espionage theme, is not a stellar writing...

Last edited by Botan_TM; 2016-10-30 at 04:43.
Botan_TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 03:52   Link #502
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

"Mountains are tough to get tanks across".

Clearly an baseless assumption. [/sarc]
Old 2016-10-30, 04:45   Link #503
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
If they artificially introduced some reason for her not to continue to be overpowering, that would be a sign of bad writing. They approached that this episode with the overly contrived "accidental eavesdropping" of Jonas, but honestly that was more lazy, impatient writing than it was outright bad. They have to let her secret out eventually, and they only have so many episodes to play with. But you should be happy. It means that her overpowering battles will be coming to an end sooner rather than later.
Even so, having the spy specifically ask about Jonas' whereabouts is basically hinting us that Jonas is going to slip and tell the secret to the spy...and that would be too convenient for the plot.

Personally, I wanted the special unit guy figuring out Izetta's weakness based on data collected throughout the battles and possibly a second dogfight with the pilot.
Old 2016-10-30, 04:51   Link #504
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Even so, having the spy specifically ask about Jonas' whereabouts is basically hinting us that Jonas is going to slip and tell the secret to the spy...and that would be too convenient for the plot.

Personally, I wanted the special unit guy figuring out Izetta's weakness based on data collected throughout the battles and possibly a second dogfight with the pilot.
Agreed. Assuming things go as expected regarding Jonas and the secret, that would be a black mark on their writing. What you suggested would be much better. Villains who are intelligent enough to give the heroes trouble are always a good thing for the viewer.
Old 2016-10-30, 05:02   Link #505
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botan_TM View Post
You are missing one thing. A little country lies in Alps, in mountains. Not-Germany apparently have not conquered anything in mountains yet. In such terrain you can't make a proper Blitzkrieg, because you have closed routes - valleys, which cannot be omitted.
I took the Germans less than four weeks to race through all of Yugoslavia and Greece, both of which are quite mountainous with infrastructure far, far worse than Central Europe.

As for this episode, every episode seems to be getting weaker. It's starting to get boring. Character development is missing and we get the same superwoman shtick again. Speaking of that, the place she attacked for the propaganda report was Lindau (which is in Bavaria/Germany).

Old 2016-10-30, 05:31   Link #506
Botan_TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
I took the Germans less than four weeks to race through all of Yugoslavia and Greece, both of which are quite mountainous with infrastructure far, far worse than Central Europe.
How long war is taking place in anime, a few days?
It is worth to mention, that Yugoslavia also collapsed from inside. Greece army was too much spread around and tired (Albania), so they had not enough forces to defence Metaxas line and main part of country, also UK army could not sent enough support to Greece, so they decided to evacuate.

I agree, that if not-Germany had used maximum possible forces on all directions + paratroopers, then even against witch they should won, but even without her, they could suffer severe loses in some places.

Nonetheless, soon Alpine country should run off from ammunition and supplies, I guess not-Italy is not helping or allowing to sent reinforcements to Fine. If so, I wonder how is she expecting to get a help, from where?

BTW I agree on lack of character development. Izetta, grow up some character please.
Old 2016-10-30, 05:35   Link #507
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botan_TM View Post
Nonetheless, soon Alpine country should run off from ammunition and supplies, I guess not-Italy is not helping or allowing to sent reinforcements to Fine. If so, I wonder how is she expecting to get a help, from where?
Italy is allied with Germany. It was specifically mentioned this episode twice that the Germanians attacked Eylstadt to establish a path to their allies of the Romulus Federation.
Old 2016-10-30, 06:04   Link #508
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:

As for this episode, every episode seems to be getting weaker. It's starting to get boring. Character development is missing and we get the same superwoman shtick again. Speaking of that, the place she attacked for the propaganda report was Lindau (which is in Bavaria/German)
What superwoman shtick? I think you're exaggerating just how much Izetta has done so far.

Episode 2: She took down a few planes, that's it.
Episode 3: Yes, it was impressive, a good show of power, an actual superwoman performance.
Episode 5: She took down what amounted to an empty base, from an outside point of view, it's not really all that impressive. I'd equate it to Pearl Harbor, except the two countries involved are already at war.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 06:52   Link #509
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

for a minute there i thought Izetta's body double, one of the royal guard lady was going to bite the dust & Izetta feels guilty because of it, then Jonas as he lost his family photo in the river that he managed to peep on Seig & the general's conversation of Izetta's weakness, let's hope he made it out alive after that, then combined there is a Germanian spy in their army's ranks,

Eylstadt's army can somehow still fight well even without relying on Izetta's powers as long as they have a good plan as shown when they manged to blew up a mountain & crushed the Germanian forces,

looks like captain Besler will be involved in some kind of experiment so he will rival Izetta in terms of battlefield power, they will give him a prototype real life based German fighter jet? who knows.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 07:01   Link #510
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Sword 2 View Post
they will give him a prototype real life based German fighter jet? who knows.
If they follow historically, he should not get a jet; Not!TimothyDaltoninTheRocketeer describes her OPness as being small, highly-maneuverable, and fast. WWII jets were fast, but accelerated very slowly. The jet engine allowed them to hold speed in a turn—if it was a very wide turn.

To me, his boast sounded more like he thinks he can fight Izetta straight up, possibly in his own plane, now that he knows more about what she is and what she can do. Or they give him a FW190.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 07:19   Link #511
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
What superwoman shtick? I think you're exaggerating just how much Izetta has done so far.
You are looking so much into the fights that you are completely ignoring the fact that her abilities are superwoman-type:

1) Can fly as fast as the best combat planes of the time - with Finé as passenger
2) Can turn anything into a flying device
3) Has superhuman reaction speed, can deflect bullets and shells after they've been fired
4) Can handle a lot of weapons at the same time while flying
5) Has no problem doing all that while improving weapons via magic
6) Has no problem flying around while carrying three tanks at the same time through the air

If there's anything that's exaggerated here, it's the extent of Izetta's abilities. The only thing she lacks is healing.
Old 2016-10-30, 09:19   Link #512
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Makes sense he would though since Jonas is known as "that one guy who saw the witch in Coenstadt (and won't shut up about it)".

But yeah, bit of a pity if it all gets spilled thanks to that doofus of a general talking in the open like an idiot.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 09:25   Link #513
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Honestly I think it's premature to be calling her a Mary Sue superweapon at this point. Both sides of the conflict already acknowledge that she has some glaring weaknesses. It's really only a matter of time before we see the limitations of her power.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 11:27   Link #514
Applehell

Quote:

Seconded and with better writing/planning that might been how things would have played out. I'm still gonna wait and see how the rest of this goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
But yeah, bit of a pity if it all gets spilled thanks to that doofus of a general talking in the open like an idiot.

That Sieg guy there with him was just as bad maybe even worse because we are supposed to believe he's some brillant strategist, but then throws all common sense out the window by talking about sentisve matters in terribly unsecured location. I know this 12 episodes the writiers really move the plot as fast as possible there are less awkward ways to do that which doesn't involve handling everyone the idiot ball. Yeah Sieg will most likely find out quickly it was Jonas who overheard them by oh so conivenently drop photograph, but that doesn't save the scene or the shoddy writing at all. Unless they make quickly make Jonas a member of Fine's inner circle or kill him before he leaks her secret like a running foset. Still this isn't kind of navie level mistake skilled professionals should make in the first place.

-Putting that aside, I'm rather suprised that the Royal Guard entirely consist of young females instead a variety of men and women of various ages.

I wonder what reasons for that is...

-I'm okay with Izetta's dominance in this episode we are still barely halfway into season afterall.

-Next week is gonna fairly fanservice leaden one. This show really seems like wants have it's cake and eat it no matter how of place it's yuri-baiting is in what supposedly a serious war drama.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 11:27   Link #515
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
You are looking so much into the fights that you are completely ignoring the fact that her abilities are superwoman-type:

1) Can fly as fast as the best combat planes of the time - with Finé as passenger
2) Can turn anything into a flying device
3) Has superhuman reaction speed, can deflect bullets and shells after they've been fired
4) Can handle a lot of weapons at the same time while flying
5) Has no problem doing all that while improving weapons via magic
6) Has no problem flying around while carrying three tanks at the same time through the air

If there's anything that's exaggerated here, it's the extent of Izetta's abilities. The only thing she lacks is healing.
My comment you quoted was directed at people's comments that she's handing out curbstomps like hot cakes. I know what her powers are and how grossly overpowered she is when on a sufficiently powerful ley line.

I'm remarking that 2 of Izetta's 3 battles aren't really as impressive as they seem. Her fight where she was flinging tanks around like tonkas, yeah, that was absurdly overpowered (and awesome.) But the fight at the start of episode 5? It was about as impressive as watching Mike Tyson fight Stephen Hawking, which I say again, was the entire point.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 11:46   Link #516
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
-Putting that aside, I'm rather suprised that the Royal Guard entirely consist of young females instead a variety of men and women of various ages.

I wonder what reasons for that is...
Well, they're her personal guard. I guess we can accept that (with a good dose of suspension of disbelief) if we think it's considered 'safer' for her honour to be surrounded by women only - they probably have to stay in or just outside her room at night after all.

Old 2016-10-30, 12:22   Link #517
Darthtabby

For those of you who are interested in vintage airplanes, the plane that was carrying the journalists appears to be modelled on the De Havilland DH.89, known in civil service as the Dragon Rapide and in military service as the Dominie. The things on the upper wing that look like small auxiliary engines on the upper wing are actually wind driven generators, which some DH.89s had to provide onboard electrical power. Interestingly the aircraft in this episode has a single turbine on the port wing in one shot and twin turbines (one on each wing) in a later shot. I've seen pictures of real DH.89s in both configurations, but its still a continuity error.

Also for those of you who missed earlier mention of it, the Elystadt fighters are modelled on the French Morane-Saulnier M.S. 406.

Last edited by Darthtabby; 2016-10-30 at 12:42.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 13:06   Link #518
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Well, they're her personal guard. I guess we can accept that (with a good dose of suspension of disbelief) if we think it's considered 'safer' for her honour to be surrounded by women only - they probably have to stay in or just outside her room at night after all.

That didn't stop Fine being assigned two male bodguards who looked to be in their late 20 to late 30's in a far more dangerous situation back in episode 1&2. They weren't exactly inconspicuous either.

I dunno, it comes across rather inconsisent to me in terms of world-buliding.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 17:08   Link #519
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
That didn't stop Fine being assigned two male bodguards who looked to be in their late 20 to late 30's in a far more dangerous situation back in episode 1&2. They weren't exactly inconspicuous either.

I dunno, it comes across rather inconsisent to me in terms of world-buliding.
No one says she can't be assigned male guards in special trips and missions... just that her stable, official body of all-day personal guards will be composed by women.

Then again, we both know I'm just rationalising. This show loves its fanservice and that's obviously reason no.1 for this disproportionate ratio of cute women to everybody else in the cast .

Old 2016-10-30, 17:20   Link #520
Darthtabby

I suspect the female guards would have felt out of place if they'd been introduced in episode one. Also, the first episode was playing up Fine as a "tomboy princess" and I don't think that would have worked as well if she'd had female bodyguards.

(Sidenote: Actually I'm not entirely sure Herman was supposed to be a bodyguard. The model of pistol he was seen with was the same type as Tobias carried, and he wasn't seen with it until after Tobias' death. That makes me wonder if he was a servant of some kind who ended up taking over Tobias' bodyguard role out of necessity.)
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote