AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2014-06-23, 12:07   Link #53641
Eratas123

Tabane specifically hacked those machines and made them unstable, but why would she do so for anything other than entertainment? She doesn't care about the world order or any crap like that. It's likely the government has emergency overrides under very dire circumstance; yes tabane could hack those but why would she? It's not like she cares for anyone other than Houki, Ichika and Chifuyu.

And again, who would revolt? The reps? The ones that are getting paid thousands if not MILLIONS in cash to keep piloting? WHY would they rebel? They're better of where they are. The president likely makes less money than they do and he does craploads more work for it. Unless they're going for bragging rights or they're wannabe worldchangers any rebellion is going to be ineffectual or mildly threatening before being put down.
Old 2014-06-23, 12:17   Link #53642
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I remember in the Silver Gospel incident, the Americans never said that they couldn't shut down Silver Gospel remotely due to hacking. They said they can't shut it down remotely period. I'm merely stating that only Tabane has shown the ability to remotely shut down an IS. Everyone else deems IS to IS fisticuffs the ideal shutdown button.

As for why the girls rebel, it could be for any number of reasons. The situation you're saying also applies to movie stars and the like you know? Why do they do things that destroy themselves though? Why do drugs? Why physically assault the paparazzi? Why quit? Isn't that because of stress? Because of being asked unreasonable things? Some just snap under the pressure.

IS pilots have been determined as soldiers to some extent but they are human. Even the elite can feel strained. Even the most loyal can question morality of an assigned act. IS representatives can't be so hollow that they just do as they're told without eventually forming some resentment for one command or another. It just depends if the command becomes too much to compensate.

I'm not saying rebellion is an inevitability but dissatisfaction has always been mistaken as oppression. And oppression usually leads to rebellion. A possibility exists, that's all I'm saying.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 12:31   Link #53643
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

The reason for rebellion that involve men vs women always been goddamn contrived

To subdue entire government, one at least need 90% of the I.S. exist in the world and have the pilots cooperating to utmost perfection. The 10% would be anything but useless.

I.S. as nuke is a perfect analogy because it's consistent with the entire setting. Alaska treaty allowed any rebellion involving I.S. to be quashed immediately using another I.S. This is how exactly nuclear treaty works.

In practice, large war always been avoided. Gospel capture was done so to avoid mass panic, everything about Phantom Task is less Arab-styled rebellion and more shadow organization. In theory, I.S. is a strategic weapon of mass destruction, but in practice they're pretty much tactical stealth asset.

You can have 10 I.S. duke it out and have the world proceed as normal so long as it's done discreetly, away from mass population.

The second season anime of course betray this logic, but it betrays every logic anyway.
Old 2014-06-23, 12:33   Link #53644
Eratas123

Wasn't the Silver Gospel a recent experiment? Also, they might not have been able to shut it down due to the IS itself seemingly going insane from the hacking.

Yes, because doing drugs is something they do to themselves. They assault the paparazzi because they were bothering them specifically. They quit because they're tired or want to move on. In all cases it was about personal settings. Rebellion isn't something you can do by yourself unless you're Lelouch.

Also, the 'superstars only' thing is false. Laura, a career soldier, casually mentions that she has about twenty million euros in her bank account. Charlotte likewise can throw money at Ichika and Ichika comments that pilots are paid well. And hell, if someone 'snaps' then they're just deranged in the public eye: Yes they can do damage, but so what? They'll be replaced by someone more sane when they're out down.

Also, if rebellion was that easy tyrants would never get their way ever. You say dissatisfaction and oppression will lead to rebellion, and yet how many cases in history has mankind proven that they will grumble and complain but never actually do anything? Look at the novel 1984 - Eighty percent of the population are oppressed and despite the protagonist hoping for rebellion the most they do is fight each other for pots and pans. It's harder than it seems to protest when there's a very real sense of danger. People will go to peaceful rallies but as soon as there's a risk of injury or death many will back off.

Essentially its a difference of COULD and WOULD. The pilots COULD rebel and topple the government if they were REALLY lucky and the government was REALLY stupid but why WOULD they do so? I could do a lot of nasty crap but I won't because I'm not stupid and i have a sense of morality. The average pilot we see is just that: Girls and Women with average mindsets, comedic sociopathy notwithstanding. Unless a significant population of pilots are mentally unsound and feel they have nothing to lose then a rebellion is as likely as Tabane suddenly turning into a saint.
Old 2014-06-23, 12:35   Link #53645
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

There is always a possibility for that sort of thing. The advent of the IS did change the power dynamic between the genders but the overall power schema hasn't really been touched if you look at things. Sure, Izuru said that the power dynamic has shifted but outside of the realm of the IS, we have not seen much evidence. Just the fact that nearly all his new characters are female isn't a good validation either.

As for the remote shutting down - I'm pretty sure that Tabane is the only one who can consciously navigate the Core Network and manipulate the Cores as she sees fit. She probably did something similar to Kurezakura, which is why it's in stasis.

Ichika can 'interface' with the pilots through the Core Network but no core other than 001 has interacted with him. Chifuyu can most likely do something similar unless her Jedi-mindreading takes up her 'bus-slot'.
Old 2014-06-23, 12:48   Link #53646
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
The reason for rebellion that involve men vs women always been goddamn contrived

To subdue entire government, one at least need 90% of the I.S. exist in the world and have the pilots cooperating to utmost perfection. The 10% would be anything but useless.

I.S. as nuke is a perfect analogy because it's consistent with the entire setting. Alaska treaty allowed any rebellion involving I.S. to be quashed immediately using another I.S. This is how exactly nuclear treaty works.

In practice, large war always been avoided. Gospel capture was done so to avoid mass panic, everything about Phantom Task is less Arab-styled rebellion and more shadow organization. In theory, I.S. is a strategic weapon of mass destruction, but in practice they're pretty much tactical stealth asset.

You can have 10 I.S. duke it out and have the world proceed as normal so long as it's done discreetly, away from mass population.

The second season anime of course betray this logic, but it betrays every logic anyway.
Reasons for war are never sane. You want more land, you want more rights despite already having them, you want your people to live happily when 70% of the violence they undergo is done by yourself. Seriously.

I did say that I have no problem with IS being treated equal to a nuke in terms of tactical deterrent. But to measure it PURELY as weapons and comparing them to one another. That's where I disagree.

And you've already stated the capabilities of an IS. Even 3-5 together would make for a rather daunting task force don't you think? AKA Ichika's harem? The one that more or less got downed by a lone AI but that's besides the point. I doubt EVERYONE would scramble EVERY single IS they have for a rebellion happening oh so far away. That's in your ideas, the equivalent of launching nukes at the enemy once they have launched a nuke. Nuclear holocaust is feared in that case, but in this case I think it'd be leaning more on not wanting to split their forces too badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Wasn't the Silver Gospel a recent experiment? Also, they might not have been able to shut it down due to the IS itself seemingly going insane from the hacking.

Yes, because doing drugs is something they do to themselves. They assault the paparazzi because they were bothering them specifically. They quit because they're tired or want to move on. In all cases it was about personal settings. Rebellion isn't something you can do by yourself unless you're Lelouch.

Also, the 'superstars only' thing is false. Laura, a career soldier, casually mentions that she has about twenty million euros in her bank account. Charlotte likewise can throw money at Ichika and Ichika comments that pilots are paid well. And hell, if someone 'snaps' then they're just deranged in the public eye: Yes they can do damage, but so what? They'll be replaced by someone more sane when they're out down.

Also, if rebellion was that easy tyrants would never get their way ever. You say dissatisfaction and oppression will lead to rebellion, and yet how many cases in history has mankind proven that they will grumble and complain but never actually do anything? Look at the novel 1984 - Eighty percent of the population are oppressed and despite the protagonist hoping for rebellion the most they do is fight each other for pots and pans. It's harder than it seems to protest when there's a very real sense of danger. People will go to peaceful rallies but as soon as there's a risk of injury or death many will back off.

Essentially its a difference of COULD and WOULD. The pilots COULD rebel and topple the government if they were REALLY lucky and the government was REALLY stupid but why WOULD they do so? I could do a lot of nasty crap but I won't because I'm not stupid and i have a sense of morality. The average pilot we see is just that: Girls and Women with average mindsets, comedic sociopathy notwithstanding. Unless a significant population of pilots are mentally unsound and feel they have nothing to lose then a rebellion is as likely as Tabane suddenly turning into a saint.
I never said that rebellion is inevitable. I'm saying it's a possibility. I live in the Philippines, all it took was one dead guy, a lot of grumbling and some manipulation of the masses and BAM! ousted president.

That's why I realized that the main reason they probably take teens and kids as pilots is because they don't have that kind of deviousness to actively rebel in an organized manner. They don't feel hardships or oppression as anything more than minor inconveniences. Raise taxes exorbitantly? Parents pay for that. A soldier died on the frontlines? Do I know him? Adults would probably be more active in those regards.

Humans do look for the easy way out, but the definition of easy differs from person to person. And given the right circumstances and unhinging, pulling a trigger is easier than winning through words.
Old 2014-06-23, 12:56   Link #53647
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

As things are, no revolt is going to happen. Unless the IS girls were brought up exactly like Laura and her group - scarily competent and fanatically loyal to Chifuyu or whoever - the girls of IS now are not in any mood to fight.

The revolt would only happen in an AU under different circumstances like say - if Japan had found that Chifuyu was the pilot of the WK and then turned her over to the United Nations before the Treaty of Alaska was made. Betrayed by her own country, labelled a war criminal and then having her brother taken away from her - who's to say what Tabane would have cooked up then? And then if she managed to get WK back to Chifuyu, who attacks Japan's political figures in retaliation to selling her out, what's stopping her from manipulating things so that Chifuyu pretty much 'overthrows' the government?

What sort of figure would 'waltz' into power in that scenario? A new prime minister? A female one at that?

.... o.0 oh boy... plot bunny has grown
Old 2014-06-23, 12:58   Link #53648
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I'm still not seeing skittles and kisses Tempest, still no skittles and kisses.

In my case, I'd be surprised you wouldn't rebel when you're conscripted to test and experimental weapon, learn that the test pilot thing was a lie and realize you're involved in a shadow war to catch the archetype super weapon, then learn again that that was also a lie since the higher ups knew it was a fool's errand to begin with and you were all supposed to kill each other until only 1 remained and that lone survivor would be treated as the equal of the archetype weapon that the governments had wanted their hands on.
Old 2014-06-23, 13:15   Link #53649
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

I prefer SweetTarts myself... Colorful(language) and sour(pus).

And that sounds like the history of Madoka right there...
Old 2014-06-23, 17:48   Link #53650
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

You know, if Ichika's American, that explains why he's a dumbass!

/rimshot
Old 2014-06-23, 18:06   Link #53651
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

If Ichika's stereotypical American, we'll have utterly self-righteous hormone ball instead of a sentient black hole
Old 2014-06-23, 20:30   Link #53652
Ignition Boost

I'd buy it if Ichika leads that revolt. LOL!
Ignition Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 20:47   Link #53653
Kurazukara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition Boost View Post
I'd buy it if Ichika leads that revolt. LOL!
And what's his endgame with that? Become the husband of all the females of the world? Or rather become their sex slave?

About your question on FF.net, I'll just answer you here. Too tired to open my FF.net account.

If you plan to examine the writing styles of the good writers in the IS fandom, just try and read their works, don't ask me about it, because I have little idea.

But I'm not entirely inept to it either, so i think i should give you my assessment of some of them i'm familiar with. Hope this helps you.

Let's start with ZeroXSEED and Fireminer, they are more of practical types that are not straying too far from the mainstream IS. They are more inclined to improving the MC rather than give him a scary power boost.

Tempest has the most perfect take of the Orimu-cest in IS fandom. If you plan to make any Orimu-cest yourself he's the go to guy. The way writes and especially his english is perfect, he's top notch especially when he is writing Ichika and Chifuyu interaction. Can't tell you about his other fics because I haven't read them.

Now, I'mherepresent, Fangking and Fujin...
These three are the OP lords of the IS fandom. They are reverse of Zero and Fireminer, these three prefer to give Ichika the power levels of demi-gods.
Fangking goes for the kingly type Ichika that is a more out-going type.
Fujin is more for the dark, smooth type Ichika and if I may say so an excellent proponent of Orimu-cest.
I'mherepresent maintains the normal Ichika but gradually turns him into a powerful warrior on the level of a demi-god. Trust me, with the hints his is giving me about Truth Be Told, the level of the battles are going to get a lot higher than usual.

There hope my narrow understanding at least gave you a tiny help
Kurazukara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 20:47   Link #53654
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
"There is no anger, there is peace."

Charlotte's body was slammed hard.

"There is no greed, there is equality."

The Starlight were cleaved clean, the explosion captalulted Cecilia far.

"There is no arrogant, there is humble."

A binding column of light consumed Tatenashi.

"There is no iggnorance, there is sentimental."

There was an invisible force that pummeled Kanzashi down.

"There is no frustration, there is patient."

Setsura twisted Rin's arms hard, crushing Shenlong and made her scream in pain.

"There is no resignation, there is will."

Laura could felt her bone crushed under his kick. The pain must had been her stomach bleeding internally.

"There is no jealous, there is generous."

Kalaware and Amatsuki met Okami, producing sparks like firework. However, her enemy's blade passed through her.

"There is no emotion, there is harmony."

A sphere of energy as big as a car gathered on the tip of Ichika's index finger. He lunged it forward the fallen.
Evil Ichika+Modified Jedi Code=EXPLOSION!
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 20:58   Link #53655
Ignition Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurazukara View Post
And what's his endgame with that? Become the husband of all the females of the world? Or rather become their sex slave?

About your question on FF.net, I'll just answer you here. Too tired to open my FF.net account.

If you plan to examine the writing styles of the good writers in the IS fandom, just try and read their works, don't ask me about it, because I have little idea.

But I'm not entirely inept to it either, so i think i should give you my assessment of some of them i'm familiar with. Hope this helps you.

Let's start with ZeroXSEED and Fireminer, they are more of practical types that are not straying too far from the mainstream IS. They are more inclined to improving the MC rather than give him a scary power boost.

Tempest has the most perfect take of the Orimu-cest in IS fandom. If you plan to make any Orimu-cest yourself he's the go to guy. The way writes and especially his english is perfect, he's top notch especially when he is writing Ichika and Chifuyu interaction. Can't tell you about his other fics because I haven't read them.

Now, I'mherepresent, Fangking and Fujin...
These three are the OP lords of the IS fandom. They are reverse of Zero and Fireminer, these three prefer to give Ichika the power levels of demi-gods.
Fangking goes for the kingly type Ichika that is a more out-going type.
Fujin is more for the dark, smooth type Ichika and if I may say so an excellent proponent of Orimu-cest.
I'mherepresent maintains the normal Ichika but gradually turns him into a powerful warrior on the level of a demi-god. Trust me, with the hints his is giving me about Truth Be Told, the level of the battles are going to get a lot higher than usual.

There hope my narrow understanding at least gave you a tiny help
Well judging from how you classified them, I'm thinking I should follow Zero and Fireminer with my fic. I'm not really planning to go all-out with the OP Ichika. Haven't reached that level yet. While it is an OC fic, Ichika will still be the lead with the OC as support and having his own branching storyline.

Right about Fujin, White Knight was the beast, also I'mherepresent and his lemon fic. Damn those two have twisted minds
Ignition Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 22:19   Link #53656
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Stepping away from the discussion for a bit:
What do you think would happen if Ichika never discovered his ability to pilot IS? How would his life be like?
Lhklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 22:26   Link #53657
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Ultra boring factory engineer/technician, it's stated as such in the novel.

Ichika's biggest flaw as an MC is not that he's dumb or dense, it's that he lacked selfish ambition, any determination he show in canon were purely situational.
Old 2014-06-23, 22:37   Link #53658
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
Ultra boring factory engineer/technician, it's stated as such in the novel.

Ichika's biggest flaw as an MC is not that he's dumb or dense, it's that he lacked selfish ambition, any determination he show in canon were purely situational.
I see. *sigh* If it weren't for the fact that him actually interested in a girl enough to throw himself into dangerous situations be massively OOC, I'll give it a try.
Lhklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 22:48   Link #53659
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

I have this concept where Ichika found himself able to use I.S. not as teenager, but a fully matured young adult.

As a man raised in peaceful but imbalanced society, he doesn't even have the guts to act on impulse at the beginning. Instead of a young teen growing into respected heroic figure like most fic portray, we'll see a meek civilian slowly changing into hardened military soldier.
Old 2014-06-23, 23:01   Link #53660
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Heh, believable Orimu-cest isn't so hard to write. I mean, just let them act like a couple but without physical intimacy you have the Orimura siblings in their natural state - it's easy. They are comfortable and familiar with each other in a way that Ichika can't be with the other girls (just yet). Chifuyu is aware of this and when it's just the two of them - she allows it, sometimes even encourages it. And it's also why she doesn't want to hand Ichika off just yet.

It's a curse because I can't hand off Chifuyu to any other guy other than Ichika for the same reasons... I can't see her being as comfortable around another guy other than Ichika. I mean, seriously, I highly doubt if my own sister would wearing something like that bikini solely because I preferred it. Just saying...

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest