AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2014-06-28, 00:23   Link #53841
Eratas123

Actually if you read the light novels Rin and Cecilia seem to have a 'Vitriolic Best Buds' vibe, particularly in the side-story in the water park and during the shower scene where Rin unintentionally pisses off Cecilia and she starts listing the things Rin can't borrow off her anymore because she's angry at her: The indication being that Cecilia was letting Rin borrow these things already.

Also when Cecilia was complaining about wanting sweets Rin told her that if she wanted some she could ask her to make some for her anytime she wanted. Cecilia also complains that it would make her fat but Rin tells her not to worry too much about it. The conversation ends with Cecilia saying Rin was 'nicer than she thought' and Rin getting pissy at the backhanded compliment.

By contrast I can't remember a scene where Houki and Cecilia really interact all that well, vitriolic or not. Their irritation with each other seemed more genuine compared to Rin and Cecilia's.
Old 2014-06-28, 00:46   Link #53842
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

I guess there's only answer for that

Old 2014-06-28, 00:56   Link #53843
Eratas123

I don't recall Cecilia ever making fun of Rin's chest; only Ichika does, albeit unintentionally. Regardless it's pretty clear that while Charlotte and Laura have a sisterly/mother and daughter bond (At one point she calls Charlotte 'mama' in the 4-koma) Cecilia and Rin have a more vitriolic and honest relationship. You generally don't lend expensive beauty products or offer to make sweets for random acquaintances.
Old 2014-06-28, 01:24   Link #53844
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

I'm talking fandom mindset

Rin has flat chest with NONE of the personality charm. No one cares about her.
Old 2014-06-28, 01:29   Link #53845
Eratas123

...What charm? Ever flatchested loli/Shana clone I've seen are abusive and demeaning at best and near-psychotic and unsympathetic at worst.
Old 2014-06-28, 01:33   Link #53846
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Cecilia DOES make fun of Rin's chest once.

... But it's still better than being teased than Tatenashi.

Now, what is the charm of Tate, beside not tempting to kill Ichika for every five minutes and actually try to keep her composure?

(I just can't comprehend why people loves her and Laura's forwardness. It could had been sexual harassment in real life!)
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 02:02   Link #53847
Eratas123

Laura can be 'excused' because she genuinely doesn't see what's wrong with her behavior. Imagine if Tatenashi was ugly; she wouldn't be getting much fans for her attitude, would she?
Old 2014-06-28, 02:07   Link #53848
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Is there any harem member that is ugly?

Anime girl can't be ugly. Manga, then maybe, but not Anime. The closest we have got are the bone-skinny type and the overweight type.
Old 2014-06-28, 02:48   Link #53849
Eratas123

I've seen 'homely' characters, but not ugly ones. This tends to happen in movies as well: There's a funny movie called 'Horrible bosses' where one of the main characters has a boss who sexually harasses him. Problem being that said female boss is played by an attractive actress so most comments on youtube are about how much of an idiot the guy is for refusing, ignoring that he's happily engaged.

One gets the feeling that if the boss was old and wrinkled people would be screaming for the guy to just quit while he's ahead.

In the end though people might just find Tatenashi's actions refreshing. Everyone in IS seems to be a prude and even Laura starts acting tsundere when she's complimented. Tatenashi is probably the only one who takes compliments without being too awkward or out of place about it.
Old 2014-06-28, 03:05   Link #53850
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
...What charm? Ever flatchested loli/Shana clone I've seen are abusive and demeaning at best and near-psychotic and unsympathetic at worst.
Hence the fandom mindset: in the west, flat chested psycho is the worst
Old 2014-06-28, 03:24   Link #53851
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

...I now wonder if I'm the only one who's actually written Rin as in-character and at least relatable? Not that I was trying.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 03:29   Link #53852
Eratas123

Making any of the girls barring Charlotte relatable is difficult due to their frankly off-putting attitudes, but most authors seem to make them relatable to differing extent; or at least make them more like people instead of robots programmed to be screwed by Ichika's usb port.
Old 2014-06-28, 03:33   Link #53853
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Conspiracy time: What if pilot IS make a person change?
Old 2014-06-28, 03:33   Link #53854
demino_hellsin
That one guy

all forms of power and authority do.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 03:47   Link #53855
Eratas123

Power corrupts; every jrpg tells you that.
Old 2014-06-28, 06:18   Link #53856
demino_hellsin
That one guy

in real life, it's not just power corrupting people. It's knowledge changing outlook. that's what it means when you lose your innocence. That's what it means when you grow up. You learn about something and your perspective changes. What was impossible becomes a chore, what was forbidden becomes convenience. The scariest thing is falling without even knowing so.
Old 2014-06-28, 06:25   Link #53857
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Lingyin was blatantly corrupted by her newfound strength yes

Her bullied past self and inability to help with family's breakdown is the main trigger for that.
Old 2014-06-28, 07:15   Link #53858
Eratas123

How is she corrupted? The one thing she gloats about is how some politicians had to bow to her to get her to accept the IS pilot position, which while somewhat eyebrow-raising isn't exactly that off-putting considering the average person's view on government. That and as we see later on she can't exactly blow them off and she's easily cowed by the instructor they sent.

The person who does abuse her power the most among the protags? Tatenashi, if you take her actions at face value. She forces herself into Ichika's room using her clout as the prez, she forces him into the play again using said clout (and failing that the shock collar) and she's shown talking to the chairman of ISA himself like an equal rather than a subordinate - While her usage of it is 'harmless' one can't deny that she was using it for fun rather than its intended purpose.

By contrast I can't recall ever seeing Rin or any of the other girls abusing their stations, barring the 'funny' abuse that's the norm for this show. I never see Cecilia trying to tempt Ichika with her money and resources nor do I see Laura doing much more than ask for advice from her military buddies. At most I saw Rin trying to impress Ichika with her model pics, but that's hardly abuse.

But hey, none of their actions are to be taken seriously: It's a wish-fulfillment Light Novel with people of all nationalities flocking to the one Japanese dude who has the personality of a styrofoam cutout. The premise and characters of IS are so divorced from reality and it's kind of obvious that making Ichika a blank was so the numerous fanboys could insert themselves in his place and think how much better they would be in his place.....which is what a lot of us did back then:/

Regardless I can't imagine the girls or Ichika being corrupted anytime soon, considering their personalities.
Old 2014-06-28, 07:28   Link #53859
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I dunno man. Going out of her way to use her status as rep cadet to oust an incumbent class representative via a duel which was one-sided due to the difference in IS quality was kinda low.
Old 2014-06-28, 07:46   Link #53860
Eratas123

Wait a minute, wasn't it stated elsewhere that the rep candidates/cadets become the representatives for their class regardless? It would make sense that the school would want people with their personal machines in charge of class over non-owners: Kanzashi's the odd one out since her personal machine isn't 'official' but one she jury rigged herself.

Besides, what does being the representative even mean? Ichika's NEVER shown doing anything to represent his class, ditto Rin. It seems like both cases were used by Izuru to perpetuate the fight scene and ignored afterwards.

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest