AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-27, 00:13   Link #521
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm getting the impression you're simply trying to manufacture a dispute, especially since you agreed with Kirarakim who said essentially what I was saying.

I think it's more likely Theowne just misinterpreted what you meant. It happens on message boards.

I am going to be a bad North American and say I don't care about hockey. I more interested in the speed skating team pursuits.
Old 2010-02-27, 00:26   Link #522
Theowne
耳をすませば

Yes, I misinterpreted/read too much into it. But who knows, maybe I do sit in my lair hatching disputes....always a pleasant accusation to recieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther
Y'all are unfortunately in the lead now. The Germans only have 9 Gold medals.
My final prediction is we'll end up with 12-3 gold.

Anyone know what the record on gold medals ever at an Olympics is?

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 00:34   Link #523
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post

I'm going to say the Canadians get 14.

That'd be the Winter Olympics record (the current record is 13, done by Norway in 2002). The overall Olympics record is an impossible feat because the Summer Olympics just have waaaaaaaay more events.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 00:35   Link #524
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Yes, I misinterpreted/read too much into it. But who knows, maybe I do sit in my lair hatching disputes....always a pleasant accusation to recieve.

We'll find a way to hand the gold medal lead back to the Americans tomorrow I'm sure. My bet is it will come down to 10 or 11 gold each and then extra drama will be placed on the final hockey game for the lose. Calling it right ****ing now!
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 00:39   Link #525
Isegrim

83, won by the USA at the 1984 Summer Olympics

The German biathletes didn't do as expected, but the rest is pretty good, especially in alpine skiing. Can't say I'm unhappy
Old 2010-02-27, 00:42   Link #526
james0246

Quote:

US (with 83 Gold) in the 84 LA Games. Technically, though, since so many countries didn't come to the games (much the same as the 1980 Moscow games, where the SU won 80 toal Gold), the number is a little misleading. And, of course, there was the 1904 Games, in which only a dozen or so countries participated, and America won 75 or so awards.

The undisputed total count, though, is in 1988 at the Seoul Olympics, with the Soviet Union winning 55 Gold Medals.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 00:44   Link #527
Theowne
耳をすませば

Yeah, sorry, I mean to say Winter Olympics. I definitely don't think we're going to get to 83!

I think that relay was one of the best Vancouver moments for Canadians. The team just delivered perfectly. It's too bad most of the audience was drawn away for the hockey game...

Kaoshin, you've gotta loosen up Have fun, it's the Olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246
Technically, though, since so many countries didn't come to the games
Interesting...*researches 84 LA games*..

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 00:46   Link #528
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Well, we're not going to win, so you don't have to worry about that.
I wish I can be as confident as you but Sunday's game against the US is up in the air. It can go either way, and if the Canadian Team snooze again like they did during the third period, then the gold will be a walk in the park for the US. It all depends on how "awake" Canada Men's will be Sunday.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 00:53   Link #529
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Sunday Drama Predictions:

U.S win 3 events=Canada wins 2 or 1

U.S win 2 events=Canada wins 1 or 0

U.S Win 1 event=Canada win 0
Old 2010-02-27, 00:59   Link #530
Kitaeryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I'm going to say the Canadians get 14.

That'd be the Winter Olympics record (the current record is 13, done by Norway in 2002). The overall Olympics record is an impossible feat because the Summer Olympics just have waaaaaaaay more events.
I don't think that the Canadians will get 14 gold. So far we've got 10 gold, and the only other events which we can get a gold in is possibly Bobsleigh, Hockey, Curling and Mens' Team Pursuit long Track, but we're bound to probably get a silver in one of those (Hopefully not though =D ). And bobsled is still up in the air cuz Canada is only sitting in second.

Still, itd be nice to see Canada getting 25 medals in total and beating their record from Turin, and even though we didn't get the most medals, it definately was awesome =]
Old 2010-02-27, 01:05   Link #531
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Whoa, Russia's poor turnover this Olympic even had Putin growling in the news earlier. Sounds like the Russian team may be getting a whipping from their government when they return - feel sorry for them. But this is an ominous note that we should expect a Russian blizzard in 2014. :O

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-02-27, 02:20   Link #532
solomon

Who here bets American broadcaster NBC will be gay and put the hockey match on cable?
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 02:22   Link #533
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Who here bets American broadcaster NBC will be gay and put the hockey match on cable?
They said it's going to be on the main network, surprisingly enough
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 02:27   Link #534
LusterFlare
Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am going to be a bad North American and say I don't care about hockey. I more interested in the speed skating team pursuits.
Ah, same here; I'm not much of a hockey fan. Short track is easily the most thrilling event for me.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 06:02   Link #535
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

So yeah after tonight I am nominating Cheryl Bernard's hand away to Sweden as the definitive Canadian choke of the game. I hope everybody will watch this game and see exactly what I'm talking about and why I never have any confidence in our athletes no matter how favoured or good they are and bet against them every time.
Old 2010-02-27, 08:33   Link #536
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Whoa, Russia's poor turnover this Olympic even had Putin growling in the news earlier. Sounds like the Russian team may be getting a whipping from their government when they return - feel sorry for them. But this is an ominous note that we should expect a Russian blizzard in 2014. :O
I kinda pity those Russian ice dancers and their bosses, having lost the 50 year gold streak...
Old 2010-02-27, 10:04   Link #537
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
There's legitimately nothing else on on Sunday, so I believe it will be on NBC.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 11:23   Link #538
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So yeah after tonight I am nominating Cheryl Bernard's hand away to Sweden as the definitive Canadian choke of the game. I hope everybody will watch this game and see exactly what I'm talking about and why I never have any confidence in our athletes no matter how favoured or good they are and bet against them every time.
Just because Bernard lacks (sense) any competitive edge, doesn't mean that all Canadian athletes are like that. Jon Montgomery, Hemlin, and many others have as much competitive edge as any country out there - and it shows in their competitions. With the way Bernard was playing at the beginning, she was lucky to even get a silver - she was just bad with a little luck (her sweepers sucked). Funny that the commentators outright said that Martin's team was really the only one who had any skill to truly deliver Gold for Canada - and I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I kinda pity those Russian ice dancers and their bosses, having lost the 50 year gold streak...
I sort of expect that coming. Since the fiasco last time, and with everyone ranting about how the Russian's keep dominating this sport, the ice skating judges are just waiting for the opening to bump them down - and bump the Russians down they did. But it wasn't solely the judges this time, the Russians did more poorly in the choreography and skating than ever in the past. I think their poor performance could be due to all the financial cutbacks in sports I heard happened in their country.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-02-27, 16:19   Link #539
Kirarakim

Wow I never thought Cross Country Skiing could be so exciting. Admittedly it wasn't until the final few minutes but seeing Poland & Norwary neck in neck to the finish line and Poland literally getting the gold medal at the last second.....It's moments like this that make me love the Olympics.

This was also Poland's first gold medal in Cross Country and Poland's first female Medal in the Winter Olympics (or did I get those mixed up?) A pretty cool thing to see.
Old 2010-02-27, 16:33   Link #540
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I was so sad when I learned about the loss via text from my friend's dad =( (was downtown at the time of the game, and about to watch the hockey game in Robson Square). Re-watched the game when I got home, and saw how she missed the last stone in the 10th and 11th end. Ah well, it's still pretty good for someone who's never been in an international competition to win a silver at the Olympics.

All pumped up for the hockey game tomorrow! GO CANADA .

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics