AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-28, 20:37   Link #541
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
I never thought the Bern from Higurashi was the same as the Bern in Umineko. Just because she looks like Rika and all - hell we thought Erika was Bern before EP 5 came out, because of how she looked, and see what happened.
A lot of people did think they were the same, though, which is the whole point.
Old 2009-08-28, 21:30   Link #542
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm with the side that says "Bern was evil all along and was just a trap for Higurashi players".

Honestly, that's the only way I can see it. Anything else is too complicated to be real.
I agree, that is possible. It also could be the case that they are completely different entities and I would be fine with that.

However, there's one thing that cannot be disputed.

The Bernkastel from Higurashi has something to do with the Bernkastel from Umineko. Given the name Erika Furudo she chooses for her gameboard piece it is obvious that she is linked to the Bernkastel from Higurashi is some way. At the minimum she knows at least some of the story of what happened during the events of Higurashi.

No one's going to buy the 'she was just a trap for Higurashi players' without backing up your comment with some kind of theory as to why they are so similar.
Old 2009-08-28, 21:34   Link #543
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

It's not that the Bernkastel from Higurashi and the Bernkastel from Umineko are different individuals... I doubt they are... it's that, given Rika's behavior and personality, a lot of people expected Bern to be of a similar alignment.

She's not. And that's the whole trap with Bern.
Old 2009-08-28, 21:41   Link #544
luckyssol

Quote:
It's not that the Bernkastel from Higurashi and the Bernkastel from Umineko are different individuals... I doubt they are... it's that, given Rika's behavior and personality, a lot of people expected Bern to be of a similar alignment.

She's not. And that's the whole trap with Bern.
In episode 1 her words reflected almost exactly what Bernkastel from Higurashi would have said.

With each episode she has become more dark.

How can you claim that she was just that way all along, even before Umineko?

Isn't it possible that the events that are occuring in Umineko are changing her personality in a similar way to the theory I posted a few posts ago?

If you're taking the lines literally "I have no intention of becoming your ally... I'm the cruelest witch..." then I guess it's possible. That just seems to be too easy for a Ryukishi game though...
Old 2009-08-28, 21:45   Link #545
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
In episode 1 her words reflected almost exactly what Bernkastel from Higurashi would have said.

With each episode she has become more dark.

How can you claim that she was just that way all along, even before Umineko?

Isn't it possible that the events that are occuring in Umineko are changing her personality in a similar way to the theory I posted a few posts ago?
Because Ryukishi is a troll? I don't know.

I just can't believe Bern is a good person at this point.
Old 2009-08-28, 21:55   Link #546
luckyssol

My point is to keep thinking. After episode 4 and the tanabata TIPS Bern became my most disliked character. After episode 5 most people probably view her as a villain type of character.

With 3 episodes to go I think it's far to early for Ryukishi to play this kind of card that reveals Bernkastel's true nature. There's too much time for a clear villain to be named in my opinion.

The troll may be that now everyone thinks she's evil...
Old 2009-08-28, 22:01   Link #547
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
So its a double troll? Ryukishi trolled us into thinking that Berns evil, but the troll is that shes not?
Old 2009-08-28, 22:04   Link #548
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post
So its a double troll? Ryukishi trolled us into thinking that Berns evil, but the troll is that shes not?
My theory I posted a little back explains this possibility. But as Jan-Poo mentioned it has some holes in it. Like the fact that Bern starts changing for the worse well before episode 5.

I guess it's possible that she's just a bitch and I should just stop thinking.
Old 2009-08-28, 22:45   Link #549
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
I agree, that is possible. It also could be the case that they are completely different entities and I would be fine with that.

However, there's one thing that cannot be disputed.

The Bernkastel from Higurashi has something to do with the Bernkastel from Umineko. Given the name Erika Furudo she chooses for her gameboard piece it is obvious that she is linked to the Bernkastel from Higurashi is some way. At the minimum she knows at least some of the story of what happened during the events of Higurashi.

No one's going to buy the 'she was just a trap for Higurashi players' without backing up your comment with some kind of theory as to why they are so similar.
Actually, you need to back up your comment with a theory to why you think they're related in the first place.

If you separate Umineko from Higurashi, you'd see that Bernkastel's character development makes sense. She's a witch that teamed up with Battler to destroy Beatrice. She used her piece when Battler wasn't going to do it himself. No contradictions in her character at any point in the story.

If you incorporate Higurashi into it, suddenly you have to make a whole lot of assumptions with nothing in Umineko to actually support it. You're basically looking into another work to answer questions that never would've popped up in the first place. It's completely ridiculous, and totally unfair to players unfamiliar with Higurashi.
Old 2009-08-28, 22:53   Link #550
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Actually, you need to back up your comment with a theory to why you think they're related in the first place.

If you separate Umineko from Higurashi, you'd see that Bernkastel's character development makes sense. She's a witch that teamed up with Battler to destroy Beatrice. She used her piece when Battler wasn't going to do it himself. No contradictions in her character at any point in the story.

If you incorporate Higurashi into it, suddenly you have to make a whole lot of assumptions with nothing in Umineko to actually support it. You're basically looking into another work to answer questions that never would've popped up in the first place. It's completely ridiculous, and totally unfair to players unfamiliar with Higurashi.
A theory as to why they are related? That's too easy...

-Same name, Bernkastel
-Her comment, "What was it that I used to say... Mii-pa~ fighto~"
-Her choice of the name Erika Furudo as her main game piece
-Their appearances
-Her ability to travel through kakera. Also she uses the same name 'kakera' as Bern from Higurashi did

And the proof from episode 2:
-She comments she knows the culprit of Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (Mabye she was just commenting on a novel by the same name? )

As I said before, it's perfectly fine to believe that they are not related and that is very possible.
Old 2009-08-28, 22:59   Link #551
kite11

Spoiler for My Theories, I expect it to get shot down:

Longer than I wanted, but it's just my thoughts. I'm sorry if it sounds too much like other people's theories. And in case you were wondering, I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make... Also, for Bern, it would be nice for her to be the same as the one from Higurashi, but that Bern had more tact. (putting away the kakera after Rika saw it and gomening. Course, there's no really point if she is or isn't, cause that only goes to speculation on her actions. Bern, if its the same one, really got cruel, but than, she has 34 as her "best friend", so its not unreasonable for her to get twisted. Course if Bern is one of the same, does the same run true for Okonogi?, which has probably been beaten to death.
Old 2009-08-28, 23:21   Link #552
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post

This.

Umineko is not a sequel to Higurashi. Not directly.

So why should we assume the little shout-outs to it are anything more than fanservice?
Old 2009-08-28, 23:24   Link #553
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Actually, Umineko's relation to Higurashi is still unknown. I STILL believe it's too soon to say that it's a direct sequel or not... but I don't think it's called When They Cry 3/4 for nothing...

Old 2009-08-28, 23:26   Link #554
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
Actually, Umineko's relation to Higurashi is still unknown. I STILL believe it's too soon to say that it's a direct sequel or not... but I don't think it's called When They Cry 3/4 for nothing...
A "direct sequel" would imply that it takes place after Higurashi and uses the same characters.

The only characters that are from Higurashi directly are... Okonogi and maybe Bern.

Sure, it's called "When They Cry 3/4", but is Final Fantasy II a sequel to Final Fantasy?
Old 2009-08-28, 23:29   Link #555
luckyssol

Let's assume Umineko is completely seperate from Higurashi.

Then Bern and Lambda are just witches who came out of nowhere with no background story and have completely hijacked the game.

I guess this is possible.
Old 2009-08-29, 00:42   Link #556
kite11

What does Okonogi do anyway? I want to believe he is in there for more than just a higurashi connection.
Old 2009-08-29, 00:58   Link #557
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite11 View Post
What does Okonogi do anyway? I want to believe he is in there for more than just a higurashi connection.
From TIPS:
Leader of the Ushiromiya Group... ...He was previously president of a foodstuff distribution company and had an intimate relationship with Hideyoshi's company.

He helps Ange excape from Kasumi but it's kind of unclear if he was on Ange or Kasumi's side.

Since he's from the 1998 world I don't think we'll hear from him again. He definately was not in episode 5 at all.
Old 2009-08-29, 01:03   Link #558
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Unless we go back to 1998 again... oh, god, I just got it.

What if, next Ep, we go to the 1998 of Ep5? Ange's Good End?

Wouldn't that be interesting.
Old 2009-08-29, 01:17   Link #559
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Unless we go back to 1998 again... oh, god, I just got it.

What if, next Ep, we go to the 1998 of Ep5? Ange's Good End?

Wouldn't that be interesting.
Why to 1998? Technically they can just continue off in 1986 after Rokkenjima and Ange still gets a good end since her family returns. Although I don't know what they would do - when they get off the island Natsuhi probably just goes to jail and what not.
Old 2009-08-29, 01:20   Link #560
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Why to 1998? Technically they can just continue off in 1986 after Rokkenjima and Ange still gets a good end since her family returns. Although I don't know what they would do - when they get off the island Natsuhi probably just goes to jail and what not.
Because they need to do SOMETHING with Juuza. He's too interesting and mysterious to be unimportant.

And mostly so we can see how Ange's life has improved in contrast with ANGE's 1998.
Closed Thread