Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-04-09, 12:27   Link #541
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
This is Araki giving us a result close to Death Note, when he gets his shit together, not the tranwrecks that HoTD and Guilty Crown were. I hope it stays that way.
Isn't he just following the manga? Hard to screw up with that, besides it's probably best to wait till mid season to form a more concrete evaluation. That's where things normally start going south anyway.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2013-04-09 at 15:23.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 13:07   Link #542
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
So... they lost the city (and as far as I know from the summary, this is the only city they have in the world?, so where do they even go now?) - especially since I doubt they'll be able to build a big and strong enough wall against that super giant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
^ inb4 someone even tries to answer that question
... we can't answer that question ^^"
Since I have no knowledge of manga so I doubt my answer will be considered spoiler. I paused and read the disclosed information in advertise break at middle of episode to know that They do have multiple layers of wall. As of now, they should lost only the outer-most one, Wall Maria. I can't imagine the other two can withstand that colossal titan for long though. My guess is that humanity can no longer sit back and hide behind the wall. They will now need to keep sending soldier outside to fend off/ fill out that colossal tummy so he'll leave the rest of the walls alone.

I do believe we have more city like this one out there. It is just that people in this city are trapped here for centuries. They don't dare venture outside and those who do don't seem to make it very far. So they lost all contact from outside world and are basicly isolated now.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 14:08   Link #543
revive4563

Anime version is much better than I thought.
It revised a biggest fault of manga version. (drawing)
But I dislike author.
He criticized Weekly Jump because of he wasn't adopted.
I don't like person like this.
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 14:10   Link #544
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I have a bunch of questions regarding the Titans, however I haven't read through the thread, maybe some answers may be found there. What happened to bring them about? Were they once-men?
Well this isn't a definite answer but speculation on my part... I think the titans were once humans... they probably got some disease from a failed experiment which resulted to them turning to titans... kinda like the Rage virus in those zombie movies. Of course other possibilities for titans would be aliens or creatures from another dimension but I don't think that's the case here since most of the time stories that involve aliens invasion or inter dimension invasion it will usually include those info in the narrative. So if no aliens and other dimensions are involved then most likely they came from a disease. It's impossible to set up this premise with the titans being a natural species because humanity wouldn't even progress if that was the case so titans probably appeared out of nowhere and I think it's probably a man made disease.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 15:11   Link #545
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Well this isn't a definite answer but speculation on my part... I think the titans were once humans... they probably got some disease from a failed experiment which resulted to them turning to titans... kinda like the Rage virus in those zombie movies. Of course other possibilities for titans would be aliens or creatures from another dimension but I don't think that's the case here since most of the time stories that involve aliens invasion or inter dimension invasion it will usually include those info in the narrative. So if no aliens and other dimensions are involved then most likely they came from a disease. It's impossible to set up this premise with the titans being a natural species because humanity wouldn't even progress if that was the case so titans probably appeared out of nowhere and I think it's probably a man made disease.
Probably. I'll have to check again but I thought I saw something in the beginning showing a not-that-big Titan. Perhaps a predecessor to the ones roaming around now.

Endless "Speculating is fun!" Soul
Old 2013-04-09, 15:54   Link #546
lightbringer
M9000

Manga drawing style is fine. It's just not the same generic style as many other manga. Not to mention, there are manga with truly crap art out there. This isn't one of them.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 16:44   Link #547
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

This looks interesting.

It also helps that despite this being "violent" it doesn't show what I really hate, which is Gorn.

People just rejoice watching SAW and stuff like that and I find it extremely disturbing, on the other hand, while it is extremely disturbing to see stuff like what happened in the 1st episode, it could have been worse, and for that I thank the writers. Showing gore just shows poor taste in my opinion (and that's only my opinion) and the episode revolved on the violent nature of war. I can tolerate that

So, I'll keep tabs on it.

Arty

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 17:02   Link #548
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Manga drawing style is fine. It's just not the same generic style as many other manga. Not to mention, there are manga with truly crap art out there. This isn't one of them.
Yes, it can be good, and I particularly like his attention to environment, the equipment, and movement. (titans especially, and the way they lumber about with all that weight) But I just can't agree it is "fine". The manga has one of the worst examples of the "Same Face" syndrome. Character design is his weakest point, and it got so bad that I couldn't tell two of the main characters apart until I was more than halfway through. (The two blond ones, for those who read) His character design almost always default back to a certain look for males and females, which the anime thankfully rectified to some extent. Sharper edges, the more distinct outlines, color contrast, etc.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2013-04-09 at 17:21.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 18:22   Link #549
saurers123

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Yes, it can be good, and I particularly like his attention to environment, the equipment, and movement. (titans especially, and the way they lumber about with all that weight) But I just can't agree it is "fine". The manga has one of the worst examples of the "Same Face" syndrome. Character design is his weakest point, and it got so bad that I couldn't tell two of the main characters apart until I was more than halfway through. (The two blond ones, for those who read) His character design almost always default back to a certain look for males and females, which the anime thankfully rectified to some extent. Sharper edges, the more distinct outlines, color contrast, etc.
I'd say the mangaka's art style is kind of sketch-y. The character designs actually are unique most of the time for a lot of characters but because of the mangaka's sketch-y art style, it's definitely very hard to distinguish between characters at first. I think he's not really used to inking like most mangakas are.

I still like his art style though. I mean, only a very few of us here could draw better than him. Am I right or wrong?
saurers123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 19:51   Link #550
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
In his manga, I hardly to tell who is Reiner, who is Jean . But at least his females characters are easier to know.
Old 2013-04-09, 20:03   Link #551
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurers123 View Post
The character designs actually are unique most of the time for a lot of characters.
^ Agree. Only a few character have the "same face" problem. I don't think following the mangaka's style will hurt the anime as the medium will be able to provide a lot more detail for you to differentiate between each character. It got style and the style suits the mood of the series.
Old 2013-04-09, 20:25   Link #552
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive4563 View Post
To be fair, I hardly think this series is suitable for Weekly (I assume Shounen) Jump.

Either that, or major changes to the violent depictions are necessary... and I would hate to have its Berserk-like art/story dumbed down to something like Naruto (not to knock on Naruto or anything, but it isn't the goriest nor the darkest manga out there).

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 20:48   Link #553
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well finely watch this and this seems dumb but watching that was just so sweet just like Lrrrr with that hippy
Old 2013-04-09, 22:41   Link #554
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

This is going to be good, the animations were really impressive. The last scene with Erin's mom was really brutal, especially with the blood. The Titans in manga were creepier because of the style, but still the anime has the done justice to it. The destruction scene with the giant Titan was very impressive. The scale of the destruction felt bigger than one in the manga. The characters looked good, which probably was one of the flaw in the manga as they lacked details.
My only complaint with this episode was the scene with recon leader telling the mother of dead soldier about the failure of the squad. I just imagined scene to be more quiet and less screaming.

Overall I was impressed and this is going to be a great adaption of a great manga.
Old 2013-04-09, 22:45   Link #555
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I hope we could have a scientific explanation for the existence of the Titans.. and not some fantasy... or maybe this is fantasy...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 22:46   Link #556
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Attack on Titan. Visceral first episode

I definitely picked-up a strong title with this show.

The Titan's attack for the first episode delivered what promised, visceral gore and doomsday dread.

It's been a short while since a show like this played with my emotions. It's not the matter for me to discern and pay heed of Eren's warning to be concerned about the most relevant, but the kind of attitude I would have taken if I was living in the same situation like all of the villagers.
Let and let live by leading my life in a carefree way and not bothering what's outisde the walls, as long as I have shelter, home, food, clothes, and work, and not worrying too much about the Titans, as long as the walls remain in place and steady?

To worry like is the end of the world with the knowledge of resting without sleeping that somehow the Titans might be able to tear through the wall and gaining access to infiltrate the town?

Or being fed up living caged every day of my life and choose to join Eren to form part of the group to defend against the Titans with hopes of getting a glimpse of the outside world and beyond?

I fear that either of the first two choices listed above would apply on me, if I live in that world.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 22:49   Link #557
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I hope we could have a scientific explanation for the existence of the Titans.. and not some fantasy... or maybe this is fantasy...
Well, there isn't really anything that says the world is magical except the Titans, so that take as you will.
Old 2013-04-10, 00:56   Link #558
chaos_animagic

I did not read the manga (something I didn't read, lol)

Because I tend to avoid "horror" genres.

However, I'll give this anime series a few more episodes until I decide to drop or continue watching. (tho as said by many others... this show scares the crap out of me)

Also,

Spoiler for My speculation on Titan's origin:

Last edited by chaos_animagic; 2013-04-10 at 01:10.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 01:19   Link #559
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive4563 View Post
Anime version is much better than I thought.
It revised a biggest fault of manga version. (drawing)
But I dislike author.
I don't like person like this.
I recall seeing plenty of comments on the JP community about how the anime did a lot better than the manga. On a more entertaining side, I recall seeing a Misawa-art of the author(?) going "Heh~ They don't call this original work-rape? Heh~"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurers123 View Post
I mean, only a very few of us here could draw better than him. Am I right or wrong?
Eh except that just because you can't do it doesn't mean you can't criticize it.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 01:24   Link #560
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

The way the titan fed himself on Erin mom was quite gory and brutal. Production I.G let me down with Robotics;Notes in the previous season but this anime got my hope up. Like the animation and character designs, especially lighting and background art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Quote:
A mound near Toledo, Ohio, held 20 skeletons, seated and facing east with jaws and teeth "twice as large as those of present day people," and besides each was a large bowl with "curiously wrought hieroglyphic figures." (Chicago Record, Oct. 24, 1895; cited by Ron G. Dobbins, NEARA Journal, v13, fall 1978)
Quote:
In 1895 in Toledo, Ohio 20 giant skeletons were found seated with jaws and teeth twice as large as a normal skeleton’s. Yet another giant skeleton was unearthed in 1928 by a farmer in Louisiana. This skeleton was 9 feet 11 inches. Many claims have been made about these abnormal skeletons, the majority of people claiming they belong to the mysterious Sasquatch.
http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/qu...-north-america

Does human flesh tastes like pork?
Quote:
I did find this first hand account: William Buehler Seabrook, a journalist with the New York Times, traveled to West Africa and lived with the Guere tribe. He asked the chief what human meat tasted like, but the chief couldn't describe it to Seabrook's satisfaction. Seabrook had the opportunity to try it himself, from a man who had recently died in an accident. He got a portion of stew with rice as well as a "sizeable rump steak, also a small loin roast to cook or have cooked" however he wanted. In his book "Jungle Ways," he described it as follows:

"It was like good, fully developed veal, not young, but not yet beef. It was very definitely like that, and it was not like any other meat I had ever tasted. It was so nearly like good, fully developed veal that I think no person with a palate of ordinary, normal sensitiveness could distinguish it from veal. It was mild, good meat with no other sharply defined or highly characteristic taste such as for instance, goat, high game, and pork have. The steak was slightly tougher than prime veal, a little stringy, but not too tough or stringy to be agreeably edible. The roast, from which I cut and ate a central slice, was tender, and in color, texture, smell as well as taste, strengthened my certainty that of all the meats we habitually know, veal is the one meat to which this meat is accurately comparable."
http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/qu...stes-like-pork

Current Season animes: Listeners, Tower of God
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence