AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-14, 21:16   Link #541
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Btw, here's the full broadcast schedule (it's sorted by station, so the earliest screening time is the one for 千葉テレビ Chiba TV).
The episode titles also confirm that they will be moving onto Taikutsu after the next episode (episode 3). Right now, the list says:

涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱I (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu I) (Episode 2)
涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱II (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu II) (Episode 3) ← 4/16 next episode
涼宮ハルヒの退屈 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Taikutsu) (Episode 4) ← 4/24

This means that, indeed, they will be finishing up with Yuutsu (novel volume 1) in the next episode, and then move onto Taikutsu (volume 3), skipping volume 2, Tameiki, entirely. Since episode 2 only covered about 1/6th of volume 1, it's likely that they'll finish up the "introductions" in the first half of volume 1 during episode 3, and then skip the entire second half in favor of moving onto the Summer events in volume 3.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 21:27   Link #542
Pakxenon
popcorn

When ep4 airs, mind summarizing the 2nd volume for us?
Pakxenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 21:42   Link #543
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
I can't take credit for finding it, but this is in the source of each page:

Code:
<!--
document.write("0000");
document.write(Math.floor( Math.random() * 10));
document.write(Math.floor( Math.random() * 10));
// -->
Now is that Haruhiist or what?

Btw, here's the full broadcast schedule (it's sorted by station, so the earliest screening time is the one for 千葉テレビ Chiba TV).
Oh, that's just gold! I think they use the same things at the lottery.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 22:30   Link #544
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
lol. the counter rocks. Haruhi has infected the webpage!
To ensure due credit is given I had a hunt back through the thread - it was Thelastguardian who first spotted it, four days ago (which seems like forever at the speed Haruhiism is moving!).

Quote:
as for that broadcast schedule, ... I can't make heads or tails from it.
Fair enough, let me attempt to translate:

The schedule covers the different networks that are carrying the show, and gives the start time for each episode on each network. Reading left to right the columns are network name, broadcast date/time (year-month-day), episode length, episode number, episode title, warning notes, and the date the information was added. For example:

Code:
KBS京都	2006-04-03(月) 25:30	30	1	朝比奈ミクルの冒険 Episode 00
This tells us that KBS京都 (KBS Kyoto) screened episode 1 at 25:30 on Monday 3rd April, where 25:30 means 01:30 the following morning (Tuesday 4th). The episode was 30 minutes long (including ads), and the stuff in the warnings column is for Japanese viewers programming their video recorders.

So to find when an episode is screening you need to look at its entry for each of the TV networks. Here are the network names in the order that they'll be screening episode 3, and the time of broadcast adjusted back to the normal 24-hour clock:
  • Chiba TV 千葉テレビ Monday 4/17, 00:00
  • TV Saitama テレビ埼玉 Monday 4/17, 01:30
  • Sun Television サンテレビジョン Tuesday 4/18, 00:00
  • TV Kanagawa tvk Tuesday 4/18, 01:15
  • KBS Kyoto KBS京都 Tuesday 4/18, 01:30
  • Tokyo MX TV 東京MXテレビ Thursday 4/20, 01:30
  • TV Aichi テレビ愛知 Thursday 4/20, 02:28
  • Hiroshima Home TV 広島ホームテレビ Sunday 4/23, 02:05
Japan is nine hours ahead of UTC, so Chiba TV screens the episode Sunday 11:00 EDT for those of you in the US.

Clear as mud?

EDIT: Oops, I should have mentioned that you can view the page sorted by screening time, which makes it easier to understand.

Last edited by Simon; 2006-04-14 at 22:46. Reason: Get my days of the week right (thanks melange)
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 22:36   Link #545
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Japan is nine hours ahead of UTC, so Chiba TV screens the episode Monday 13:00 EDT for those of you in the US.

Clear as mud?
Hold on.. if it is ahead then it should still be Sunday for the US when an episode of Haruhi airs. I distinctly remember raws appearing by Sunday afternoon in the US.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 22:45   Link #546
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Hold on.. if it is ahead then it should still be Sunday for the US when an episode of Haruhi airs. I distinctly remember raws appearing by Sunday afternoon in the US.
You're right, it should have said Sunday - it seems it's not just the SOS-dan site that's generating random numbers today...

*scurries off to fix the mistake*
Old 2006-04-14, 22:48   Link #547
Pakxenon
popcorn

First broadcast airs 7:00 am PST Sunday, or 10:00 am EST Sunday.
Pakxenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 22:55   Link #548
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon
When ep4 airs, mind summarizing the 2nd volume for us?
You sure? I wouldn't want to know the summary if I were you.

And anyway, you can probably guess it yourself what happened in that volume from episode I alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
The episode titles also confirm that they will be moving onto Taikutsu after the next episode (episode 3).
I guess they are going to introduce all three supportive characters in the next episode. Isn't that a bit fast? (Given the amount of philosophical/scientifical explainations)
Old 2006-04-14, 23:08   Link #549
sophismata
いいえ

Great Suzumiya this thread is progressing at an astounding rate. I wake up at 2 in the afternoon (don't ask) and find everything has advanced so quickly.

Two things I will mention... firstly, my definition of Haruhiism is not NPOV... this was done delibrately. As I've said before, the definition is tongue-in-cheek (it was designed to parody a 'real' definition or encyclopaedic article) and contains deliberate bias.

Secondly, I wrote it, and put the @A*(';72KJ in delibaretly. The board, apprantly, does not have BBC code for strikethrough... but I'm allowed some mystery, right?
sophismata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 23:08   Link #550
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
I guess they are going to introduce all three supportive characters in the next episode. Isn't that a bit fast? (Given the amount of philosophical/scientifical explainations)
Could it be possible that they're going to interperse/slowly feed in the 'indepth' introductions/explanations in tandem with whatever happens in vol 3? (I still haven't reached there yet ) i.e. rearrange some events around...is that possible? Because yea, all three supportive characters will seem to be too much for one ep since it seems likely from the previews that they're going to do the 'cosplay' thing (Haruhi holding all those paper bags doesn't bode well for Mikuru ) and they have to bring in Itsuki for the 1st time also...

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 23:09   Link #551
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
well...im in the UK. so yeah when i go to sleep, and wake up in 8hrs time it'll be 16th in japan. wooho, while it'll be saturday night for me. oh yay
Old 2006-04-15, 00:00   Link #552
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Could it be possible that they're going to interperse/slowly feed in the 'indepth' introductions/explanations in tandem with whatever happens in vol 3? (I still haven't reached there yet ) i.e. rearrange some events around...is that possible? Because yea, all three supportive characters will seem to be too much for one ep since it seems likely from the previews that they're going to do the 'cosplay' thing (Haruhi holding all those paper bags doesn't bode well for Mikuru ) and they have to bring in Itsuki for the 1st time also...
I'd rather have the "introduction" scenes happen as they did in volume 1. Everything in volume 3 happened with a mutual understanding about "the truth" between Kyon and Mikuru/Yuki/Koizumi, if they try to "introduce" themselves as the events in volume 3 occur, I doubt it'll work out well.

At the very least, I think they should cover Asakura's scene and 神人 scene before moving on to Taikutsu.

Quote:
well...im in the UK. so yeah when i go to sleep, and wake up in 8hrs time it'll be 16th in japan. wooho, while it'll be saturday night for me. oh yay
The next episode is going to air on 4/16 Sunday's 24:00. In western terms: 4/17 Monday's 0:00 (Japanese time).

In other words, as of right now (Tokyo time: Saturday 2:00PM), there's still 34 hours to go.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 08:37   Link #553
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

what? its shown on midnight? wow. what a friendly time slot.....

p.s: hey we are catching up with some of the other current anime series forums......we are up to 900+, al we need now is 700+ more then we will overtake them! yes! lets try and do it¬

"we got more post in our forum then you with only having 2/3 episodes aired!"

Haruhiism FTW!

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2006-04-15 at 10:17.
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 14:32   Link #554
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
what? its shown on midnight? wow. what a friendly time slot.....

p.s: hey we are catching up with some of the other current anime series forums......we are up to 900+, al we need now is 700+ more then we will overtake them! yes! lets try and do it¬

"we got more post in our forum then you with only having 2/3 episodes aired!"

Haruhiism FTW!

There's some apocryphal story that way back when they were trying to find the most popular time for running anime, the japanese contracted out to a survey firm to find out this data. The time reported back was between midnight and 6am... unfortunately the survey company was British and they were meaning Greenwich Time ... not local Japanese time. By the time the error was discovered, the arrangement was too well entrenched.

Probably not true, but kind of Dilbertesque-funny. These days with DVRs and Tivo, I doubt the actual air-time means much any more. I wonder if the japanese networks use the same broken methodology we use in the States to determine ratings.
Old 2006-04-15, 14:42   Link #555
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
There's some apocryphal story that way back when they were trying to find the most popular time for running anime, the japanese contracted out to a survey firm to find out this data. The time reported back was between midnight and 6am... unfortunately the survey company was British and they were meaning Greenwich Time ... not local Japanese time. By the time the error was discovered, the arrangement was too well entrenched.

Probably not true, but kind of Dilbertesque-funny. These days with DVRs and Tivo, I doubt the actual air-time means much any more. I wonder if the japanese networks use the same broken methodology we use in the States to determine ratings.
Well, the ratings actually don't matter that much to the Japanese TV companies, because they don't pay money to show anime; they are paid to show anime.

The timeslots and length of the show are assigned according to how much the anime studio is willing to pay. That's why most anime gets graveyard shifts; it's cheaper, and most fans would just record them anyway. They get money from the merchandise and DVD sales, so if there is a chance the show would be a big commercial success, they pay more to get it a primetime slot in the hope of making even more money back, by increasing public recognition.
(e.g. Naruto was promoted into primetime from the graveyard shift.)

And if an anime is on the graveyard shift, like most of them are, the ratings are meaningless. You won't get casual viewers at that time of the night. Neither would the intended market be the casual viewer anyway.
Old 2006-04-15, 16:56   Link #556
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Do the japanese use Nielsen style methods for gathering ratings? Or something more accurate? (revealing my opinion of Nielsen ratings there.... they're horribly out of date but everyone is trapped into using them)

I'd really rather not just spam up the thread to boost the post count ... if you have something to contribute, fine but don't just post noise.
Old 2006-04-15, 19:22   Link #557
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Do the japanese use Nielsen style methods for gathering ratings?
erm...what?

I'm too young to know what that is.

Quote:
I'd really rather not just spam up the thread to boost the post count ... if you have something to contribute, fine but don't just post noise.

Well i don't mean that, spam is the last thing i want, just want ot point out something...interesting....

We got more post inthis forum then Ah! My Goddess! And they just started talking about the 27th episode of the second series. Kind of puts the prospective of the rate of Haruhiism is growing!

apparently, it's full steam ahead and who gives a dammn what people are saying.

Haruhi style indeed.
Old 2006-04-15, 19:52   Link #558
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Do the japanese use Nielsen style methods for gathering ratings? Or something more accurate? (revealing my opinion of Nielsen ratings there.... they're horribly out of date but everyone is trapped into using them)...
From what kj1980 has said, it appears that Video Research is the company that does the ratings in Japan. From their page about how they do it, it looks like a combination of automatic (boxes to collect data in sample households on what they watch on TV) and user diaries. But I didn't read the whole thing. Here is the main FAQ page.

Their methods are at least detailed. On 2channel people have posted info from Video Research about rankings of shows in a given half-hour as they shift minute by minute, and as their ratings go up and down over the half hour. So you can see where people tuned in to one show to start with and then maybe shifted to another.

And Onizuka-GTO, knowing about Nielsen has less to do with age than with what continent you live on. Nielsen is a company that collects data on what people watch/listen to in the USA.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-15 at 22:16.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 20:51   Link #559
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

woohoo! its Sunday now! all i have to do is wait until 3:30pm GMT, and then frantically search for Haruhi raws.

must.....have....Haruhi!!.....

....Haruhi! haruhi! haruhi!.... ~@_@~
Old 2006-04-15, 21:24   Link #560
Yashiro

Quote:
woohoo! its Sunday now! all i have to do is wait until 3:30pm GMT, and then frantically search for Haruhi raws.

must.....have....Haruhi!!.....

....Haruhi! haruhi! haruhi!.... ~@_@~
I don't understand Japanese at all, and I can't wait for the raws. Just watching Haruhi and her zaniness is enough to tide me over until a translation
Yashiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen