AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-03-22, 10:27   Link #5761
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Yup plasmid injection is DNA grafting, modeled after bacteria.

I think Ginga became the replacement for the original 13, since the dormant numbers' tanks are shown to have gone all the way into the 20s and beyond.

Her taking that serial might indicate that the original 13 had been lost by the time of StrikerS, but that's my take on the subject, backed up by FlameS' idea for Trieze, and I now molded her into an OC in her own right.
I was thinking DNA grafting using virii to infect the cells and replacing the DNA with the modified one.

As for dormant numbers in the tanks, maybe, maybe not but if we're thinking of the same tanks, those might not be numbers but captured people instead.
tshouryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 11:39   Link #5762
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

*switchs on megaphone*

*takes a deep breath*

LIINGO SAIKO~!!!!

that's all...

Memories of Blood and Sorrow
Part 8: Friends and Enemies

Spoiler:
Old 2009-03-22, 12:15   Link #5763
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Weren't you the one who said they were part of his army? Nevermind he never showed any ambition to create a grand Cyborg army.
Sure, sure shoot down my ideas for fiction.... Q_Q

Jail: And as my first act with this new technology, I will create a grand cyborg army to counter the increasing threats of the TSAB.
Old 2009-03-22, 12:19   Link #5764
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Jail channeling Palpatine, now there's a scary thought.

It can still work though, just some minor tweaks here and there. For example, scrap the whole '500 to 1' deal, and make the creation of 17, 14's idea. She's in charge of the whole complex, so why not have her go 'hmm, maybe I should try creating another cyborg of the Saint King's data and see how that turns out...'
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 12:46   Link #5765
Outlaender

Is rs

I haven't taken a look at official sources lately, regarding the whole IS, RS
thing, but I've been thinking over the whole Index/MSLN xover idea, and this
ties in somewhat. My idea was, that psychic powers could be seen as IS, and
direct manipulation/application of physical laws. Magic, and thus RS, are a direct
manipulation of the "information", of the bits and bytes as it were of reality.
To put it another way- reality is the GUI, and Magic, is the machine language, or console scripts. Did that make any sense to anyone else?
I know the concepts I'm trying to express, but I'm not sure about how to go about explaining it.

In the end, IS would be more instinctive, brain processed, while RS (and magic as a whole) would be linker core dependent, for the interface with greater reality.

Okay, I'll be quiet now.
Outlaender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 12:51   Link #5766
stormturmoil
Field Medic

Send a message via AIM to stormturmoil Send a message via MSN to stormturmoil
more crack snippet madness from me...(slightly inspired by Tshuryuu's ideas)

apologies to owning Authors for use of concepts, events or Ideas.

for those not in the know, David 'Eerie' Brown is my Character, now slightly modifed to also be a Shooting arts originator/user and onetime teacher of Subaru and Ginga for purposes of this snippet. also, minor Device/power alters, modded profile up later on.

Section 13 is David's department, basically the Bureau's cold-case and X-files section, hence David's 'eerie' nickname.

Spoiler for Training days again:

and on another note (and explaining one of those events referred to):

Spoiler for meet the family...:

enjoy...
stormturmoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 14:42   Link #5767
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Well, basic measuring of a mage's strength can be done simply by measuring the energy levels of a core, and the rest of the 'official' rank is simply determined by competence. So it would be very much possible -in fact, logical- for her to have a rank.
Oh, right. That completely flew past me...well, that gives me an additional scene to determine that, eh?

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 18:43   Link #5768
Ryand-Smith
Mecha Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Ryand-Smith Send a message via MSN to Ryand-Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshouryuu View Post
I haven't been posting much so here's a small post. I'm going to add in some more later .... if I can some suitable pics
Spoiler for Combat Cyborg 17:
So its Mass Production VivoArmy, strong but not KAISER CHAN strong, I like this, would she happen to have shields as common tools or more like DIVINE BUSTER 10 damage sort of natural strength?
Ryand-Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 23:44   Link #5769
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I'm basically in assault range of several tutorials, so I'll be firing from the hip at short posts for now. Fic reviews later...

Quote:
I was thinking DNA grafting using virii to infect the cells and replacing the DNA with the modified one.

As for dormant numbers in the tanks, maybe, maybe not but if we're thinking of the same tanks, those might not be numbers but captured people instead.
Then we must hope that IS don't occupy the same gene locii, otherwise the original IS of the person is going to get disrupted/overwritten. The fact that 1 IS per Number seem to hint that IS only function in 1 gene locii. Placing the gene elsewhere might cause frameshift errors and severely fuck up the product...

Basically, 14 is going to have to study the entire genome carefully and insert the gene where a) it's gonna be found and read properly and b) where it doesn't shift the reading frames of the other genes unevenly and screw the whole person over. Not that its impossible, just letting you know what you are getting yourself into...

Plasmids avoid this problem by inserting whole self-contained rings of DNA into the person, like how bacteria trade drug resistance with one another with RNA plasmids. However, in a normal person these rings won't be read but will be instead destroyed. The cyborgs can be equipped artificially with reading mechanisms that decipher the rings and translate it to power. However, the plasmids cannot be regenerated or replicated, and hence burn out quickly in minutes to hours depending on durability.

Take whichever one you wish, I just like my DNA plasmids better.

The tanks were numbered, unlike Megane's, so that rules out captured people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaender View Post
direct manipulation/application of physical laws. Magic, and thus RS, are a direct
To put it another way- reality is the GUI, and Magic, is the machine language, or console scripts. Did that make any sense to anyone else?
I know the concepts I'm trying to express, but I'm not sure about how to go about explaining it.

In the end, IS would be more instinctive, brain processed, while RS (and magic as a whole) would be linker core dependent, for the interface with greater reality.

Okay, I'll be quiet now.
Mine's much simpler. IS/RS = Esper abilities, while magic = magic.

Notice how all the restrictions fit, since Espers of Toumaverse are essentially 1 trick ponies (like the Skilled of Nanoverse), save L4 and L5 espers who discover how to apply their IS/RS in special ways allowing them to gain additional abilities. Maybe the Numbers are L3 espers, and in time when they learn to add more function to their IS, Level Up.

I insist that the esper Cirriculum contains hidden contaminants that force rejection of magic so that mages are kept out or are converted to espers, however weak. This contamination and active mistrust between Skilled Neutrals (non-magical folk with IS/RS) and Convocators (magical folk) however does not exist in Nanoverse, and hence why IS/RS can coexist with magic in Nanoverse but not Toumaverse.

Other than that, I too believe analytically that reality is made up of information and both magic and Skills interfere with reality by adding certain non-naturally occuring "scripts". The only difference between magic and Skills is then the origin of the power; magic inserts the program via mana and the Linker Core, while Skills function via the mind and directly replaces reality (AKA the Shrodinger's Cat) with their own delusion, converting their delusion into reality to the others. Imagine Breaker then works on both by blocking the fundamental impetus between both magic and Skills, will projection on the user AKA his imagination.

Scary stuff, cos Touma can even cancel 6-bit Starlight Breaker ~Full Burst Mode~ that Nanoha may never even be capable of casting without killing herself.

This possibly explains his harem power too, for he subtly cancels a girl's will to resist him... <_<

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2009-03-23 at 00:00.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 00:01   Link #5770
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Send a message via AIM to JamesEdwards
Lightbulb

Quote:

Mine's much simpler. IS/RS = Esper abilities, while magic = magic.

Notice how all the restrictions fit, since Espers of Toumaverse are essentially 1 trick ponies (like the Skilled of Nanoverse), save L4 and L5 espers who discover how to apply their IS/RS in special ways allowing them to gain additional abilities. Maybe the Numbers are L3 espers, and in time when they learn to add more function to their IS, Level Up.

I insist that the esper Cirriculum contains hidden contaminants that force rejection of magic so that mages are kept out or are converted to espers, however weak. This contamination and active mistrust between Skilled Neutrals (non-magical folk with IS/RS) and Convocators (magical folk) however does not exist in Nanoverse, and hence why IS/RS can coexist with magic in Nanoverse but not Toumaverse.

Other than that, I too believe analytically that reality is made up of information and both magic and Skills interfere with reality by adding certain non-naturally occuring "scripts". The only difference between magic and Skills is then the origin of the power; magic inserts the program via mana and the Linker Core, while Skills function via the mind and directly replaces reality (AKA the Shrodinger's Cat) with their own delusion, converting their delusion into reality to the others. Imagine Breaker then works on both by blocking the fundamental impetus between both magic and Skills, will projection on the user.

Scary stuff, cos Touma can even cancel 6-bit Starlight Breaker ~Full Burst Mode~ that Nanoha may never even be capable of casting without killing herself.
*Pokes his head out from the LURK!*

Well, bravo, Meister, you actually managed to illustrate something reasonable for a change. Now, just to be a Joker, I am going to throw a monkey wrench into that theory:

Nanoha's Beamspam. The moment the beamspam leaves Raising Heart and becomes Beamspam! -- is that still MAGIC? Or has it become SCIENCE?

A gun you know is just SCIENCE, controlled explosion, throwing a projectile real fast and accurately through a barrel at a target. A punch can also be considered in terms of SCIENCE, as it's just muscles and tendons, chemical reactions, errata that allows the human body to move like so.

Touma obviously should not be able to stop bullets, and hell, his arm was freaking chopped off by Izzard and then replaced by a giant dragon beast thingie because of Izzard's fear.

Thus, can Touma really dispell a Divine Buster beam? Is it a MAGICAL particle beam of BEFRIENDING DOOM? Or is it a SCIENTIFIC particle beam, that is atomic particles, condensed, and being accelerated rapidly into a singular direction?

Just a thought.

*Sinks back into the LURK!*
Old 2009-03-23, 00:06   Link #5771
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I am Meister Babylon. I strike as and when, and how, I wish.

I don't see the difference. It's still magic isn't it? It's powered by mana and the entire blast is still a manifestation of her will.

As for physics... Touma canceled the Railgun, and the forums are still bewildered, even I'm puzzled, over how the fuck he did it. So that alone blows a hole in your objection even if Starlight Breaker became an autonomous body operating under Newtonian physics.
Old 2009-03-23, 00:21   Link #5772
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Jail channeling Palpatine, now there's a scary thought.

It can still work though, just some minor tweaks here and there. For example, scrap the whole '500 to 1' deal, and make the creation of 17, 14's idea. She's in charge of the whole complex, so why not have her go 'hmm, maybe I should try creating another cyborg of the Saint King's data and see how that turns out...'
How about we compromise some? I'm tweak it such that the 500 to 1 becomes something like number 14 took more than 300 tries (damn those micro Spartans blocking successful tissue culture) to get actual cloning to work and nearly 500 to finally succeed in altering the cloned cells. This takes her around 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaender View Post

Okay, I'll be quiet now.
Interesting idea, you could develop this further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormturmoil View Post
more crack snippet madness from me...(slightly inspired by Tshuryuu's ideas)

apologies to owning Authors for use of concepts, events or Ideas.

for those not in the know, David 'Eerie' Brown is my Character, now slightly modifed to also be a Shooting arts originator/user and onetime teacher of Subaru and Ginga for purposes of this snippet. also, minor Device/power alters, modded profile up later on.

Section 13 is David's department, basically the Bureau's cold-case and X-files section, hence David's 'eerie' nickname.

Spoiler for Training days again:

and on another note (and explaining one of those events referred to):

Spoiler for meet the family...:

enjoy...
Nice. Btw
1) I'm Tshouryuu not tshuryuu... you said it like t-shu-ryuu... tissue dragon...
I'm not a tissue dragon :flail:
2)Mind if i steal those cyborg names? Its a bit better than what I have currently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryand-Smith View Post
So its Mass Production VivoArmy, strong but not KAISER CHAN strong, I like this, would she happen to have shields as common tools or more like DIVINE BUSTER 10 damage sort of natural strength?
hmmm. I'm not too sure what you're asking but the strength is something like no damage for anything below c rank attacks and reduced damage for the rest.

@Kha: I just remembered something. Subaru's Wing Road and Oscillating Breaker. I don't remember clearly but Shario mentioned something like she was having trouble in getting Mach Caliber to use Wing Road as it was not exactly a magical skill or similar. I don't have access to the anime atm so i can't check.

@Keroko: That sparks a dim memory. Didn't Subaru load cartridges before using Oscillating Breaker when she went berserk?
Old 2009-03-23, 00:22   Link #5773
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, this verse makes a line between science and magic so blurred as to be academic.

Which in turn raises the question: Does a difference between science and magic need to exist? Can there be said to be a point where it simply isn't necessary to draw a line between the two?

Not that it's a huge thing to myself either way, just some food for thought.
LimitedEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 00:24   Link #5774
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Question

Quote:
I am Meister Babylon. I strike as and when, and how, I wish.

I don't see the difference. It's still magic isn't it? It's powered by mana and the entire blast is still a manifestation of her will.

*UnLURKS.*

As for physics... Touma canceled the Railgun, and the forums are still bewildered, even I'm puzzled, over how the fuck he did it. So that alone blows a hole in your objection even if Starlight Breaker became an autonomous body operating under Newtonian physics.
Well, your first statement is quite an illuminating response on your take of "Magic" in the Nano-verse. But that's cool.

Now, as for the Railgun connundrum, well, gee-whiz, isn't it obvious? Touma nulling the Railgun makes perfect sense. You said so yourself that psychic / esper related phenomenon is delusions made into reality. Therefore:

What is accelerating Railgun?

Mikoto's delusion.

What happened to the 100 yen coin as it was accelerated by her delusion?

It melted / disintegrated.

Therefore, null the delusion and Railgun ceases to be. The 100 yen coin was already destroyed (last time I watched anyways) in the process, so Touma is not in danger from being hit by shrapnel. Also, look at this another way, since Touma nulled the delusion accelerating this coin, it's as if the coin never accelerated in the first place, so it could feasibly just drop right there on the ground in front of him.

And as such, I believe my argument still stands. Is Starlight Breaker - Magic? or Scientific?

If it's magic, obviously Touma wins.

If it's scientific like a gun, he lost. And dang that is the most harmless death ray ever.
Old 2009-03-23, 00:32   Link #5775
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, this verse makes a line between science and magic so blurred as to be academic.

Which in turn raises the question: Does a difference between science and magic need to exist? Can there be said to be a point where it simply isn't necessary to draw a line between the two?

*Turns off his LURK! field.*

Well, I'll be honest, LE. I am of the school of thought that magic in the Nano-verse is high technology a la Xenosaga. In fact, I believe that is the canonical explanation that high technology is the basis for "magic". Therefore, if you look at it in Nasu-verse terms, it's not True Magick (e.g. Materialization of the Soul, that is bringing the dead back to life), but Magecraft / Sorcery.

Thus, my reasons for drawing the line between science and magic. Science is taking natural laws and making it available for practical use. Magic is "RAW RAW RAW! FIGHT THE POWAA!".

*Turns the LURK! field back on.*
Old 2009-03-23, 00:37   Link #5776
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesEdwards View Post

Well, I'll be honest, LE. I am of the school of thought that magic in the Nano-verse is high technology a la Xenosaga. In fact, I believe that is the canonical explanation that high technology is the basis for "magic". Therefore, if you look at it in Nasu-verse terms, it's not True Magick (e.g. Materialization of the Soul, that is bringing the dead back to life), but Magecraft / Sorcery.

Thus, my reasons for drawing the line between science and magic. Science is taking natural laws and making it available for practical use. Magic is "RAW RAW RAW! FIGHT THE POWAA!".

Or to pull something out of my rear end, magic could be a Fundamental Force like Gravity, Electromagnetic Force, Strong and Weak Nuclear Force making all magic, science.

*runs like hell away*
Old 2009-03-23, 00:48   Link #5777
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post

Because AMF exists, yes. There is a distinct advantage, and difference, b/w conventional (Science is not a weapon 7arcs/Ken Akamatsu! And you Cadians should know better than follow suit!!!) attacks and Skills, and magic itself.

Quote:
Well, your first statement is quite an illuminating response on your take of "Magic" in the Nano-verse. But that's cool.
I didn't want to ignite more of those tech wars of old, so I K.I.S.S.

More below.
Quote:
Now, as for the Railgun connundrum, well, gee-whiz, isn't it obvious? Touma nulling the Railgun makes perfect sense. You said so yourself that psychic / esper related phenomenon is delusions made into reality. Therefore:

What is accelerating Railgun?

Mikoto's delusion.

What happened to the 100 yen coin as it was accelerated by her delusion?

It melted / disintegrated.

Therefore, null the delusion and Railgun ceases to be. The 100 yen coin was already destroyed (last time I watched anyways) in the process, so Touma is not in danger from being hit by shrapnel. Also, look at this another way, since Touma nulled the delusion accelerating this coin, it's as if the coin never accelerated in the first place, so it could feasibly just drop right there on the ground in front of him.
No it isn't obvious. It seems simple, but on closer inspection, not really. Not without overhauling our understanding of how either Railgun, Imagine Breaker, or the Laws of Physics work.

Your latter suggestion would ruin the temporal causality of the situation (which is fundamental to both scientific analysis and the misconceived notion of Science). Nullify the force or remove the projection, and the body becomes free and should behave according to Newtonian physics. Friction takes over and slows it down without the will projection, but its takes a lot of momentum to slow something from Mach 3 to 0 that is already in skin contact. Touma should get hit by something at least and most likely have a hole in his hand instead.

And according to your former suggestion, if the coin has already is disintegrated to the point of nothingness rather than a molten glob, then what is causing damage when it hits without being canceled? If its a molten glob, its going to do damage from the transfer of momentum and the transfer of heat, which is strangely absent on Touma. And remember, Touma can only stop things in skin contact, all the energy transfered is going into his hand, and its going to be ugly.

Like I said, its an unresolvable conundrum. It's either the Laws of Science is actually a manifestation of AIM fields by generations of scientists (which can be very loosely inferred from the New Scientist article "In Science We Believe") and so he can cancel the laws of Physics. Or that the whole Railgun, even the "accelerated body", is a delusion and its nullified outright like the Golem, which then begets the question WTF do you even need the coin in the first place?

My best theory is that Misaka creates a magnetic tunnel all the way through to the target before releasing the coin, thus creating the massive electric wind tunnel effect we see in anime and ensuring the coin has all the time in the nanosecond to be accelerated to insane speeds to the target. Touma touches this tunnel and no more impetus to coin-flipping, or at least if it had been accelerating lands short of the target. However, this is then Misaka's cheating with a extendable railgun barrel, not the actual railgun at fault, and overhauls what we know of how Railgun (the skill) works, so that might be a flaw in the theory.

There are flaws in all theories presented so far, so I'm holding out for what becomes of the To Aru conversations on the other side. Better leave it to the Indexist experts on this...

Quote:
And as such, I believe my argument still stands. Is Starlight Breaker - Magic? or Scientific?

If it's magic, obviously Touma wins.

If it's scientific like a gun, he lost. And dang that is the most harmless death ray ever.
All your statements are true, I don't dispute that. However, we know that Starlight Breaker is hampered by AMF, so it's canonically demonstrated to be magic, never mind how it works. That makes it definitely cancelable, even more than Railgun as Starlight Breaker does not have a solid core. And Touma has canceled a gigantic magical beam before...

It's not that complicated. K.I.S.S.

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2009-03-23 at 01:09.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 01:09   Link #5778
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:

All your statements are true, I don't dispute that. However, we know that Starlight Breaker is hampered by AMF, so it's canonically demonstrated to be magic, never mind how it works. That makes it definitely cancelable, even more than Railgun as Starlight Breaker does not have a solid core.

It's not that complicated.
Doesn't that argument still depend entirely on the irrational assumption that 'magic' means the same thing between the series?

AMF implies nothing but that the forces holding 'magical' structures together can be specifically disrupted. That doesn't require Nanohaverse magic to be a 'nonscientific'... though since esper abilities are considered 'scientific' in Index that distinction would be meaningless even if it held between settings.
Old 2009-03-23, 01:16   Link #5779
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

Quote:

I'm not familiar with this "Nasu-verse," but I believe I feel a sense of kindred spirits here.

Quote:
Or to pull something out of my rear end, magic could be a Fundamental Force like Gravity, Electromagnetic Force, Strong and Weak Nuclear Force making all magic, science.

*runs like hell away*
Oh? An interesting proposal to be sure. Magic as a fundamental force...why not?

Quote:
Because AMF exists, yes. There is a distinct advantage, and difference, b/w conventional (Science is not a weapon 7arcs/Ken Akamatsu! And you Cadians should know better than follow suit!!!) attacks and Skills, and magic itself.
I realize that the difference exists as it is, I was just tossing something out there.

...so where did this cancelling magic come from?

Page claim for...half-coherent 2 AM posting.
LimitedEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 01:22   Link #5780
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Did somebody mention Science?

SCIENCE?!

We will figure magic out and anylize it!

FOR
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content