Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-07-27, 08:53   Link #561
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
No, Hi Streamer was a series of three volumes published from 1987-1988 (aka before the movie) and is the original adaptation of the movie. Beltorchika's Children is an original novel that tells events later animated in the movie.
EDIT: http://kaito2198.blog43.fc2.com/blog-entry-395.html

OK... Looks like I was wrong. The last chapter was released on March 10, 1988 (two days before the movie premiered). Its actually 12 chapters in total. It was released on the April edition of Animage which is what got me confused.

BTW, the first volume of Beltorchika's Children was also released before the movie.

I still wouldn't call CCA an adaptation though, since the novels in no doubt were developed concurrently with the movie. It is a sure thing that the Unicorn anime came after the novels considering the Bandai CEO was still saying he wasn't sure what to do with Unicorn in terms of adaptations a year after it started serialization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
How about this ?

Unicorn will debut on TV but Day Of The Unicorn will be animated as a 2-hour(?)TV Speical. This will satisfy both the citeria of a Unicorn movie as well as being Ep 1 of Unicorn. Also it will allow Bandai the freedom stream Unicorn on the Web.
More and more rumors are popping up that this will be a theatrical release though. So I think its more likely that your first explanation is true, if the intent is just to satisfy everything that has been officially stated so far.

Last edited by brightman; 2009-07-27 at 09:19.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 13:39   Link #562
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Nah, Tomino wanted CCA to follow his novelization, but they didn't like it, so they made some modifications. Mark Simmons had something about this a while back I believe. And I know that Beltorchika Children came out before the movie, hence me saying parts of it were worked into the movie. Hi Streamer isn't twelve chapters, Beltorchika Children is... if that's what you meant 0_o;

As for the Unicorn anime, without a doubt it was planned from the getgo with Fukui writing it. These things don't just spring up overnight after all... I had said that when the cast of people working on the project were first announced, this would become an anime.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 13:59   Link #563
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Nah, Tomino wanted CCA to follow his novelization, but they didn't like it, so they made some modifications. Mark Simmons had something about this a while back I believe. And I know that Beltorchika Children came out before the movie, hence me saying parts of it were worked into the movie. Hi Streamer isn't twelve chapters, Beltorchika Children is... if that's what you meant 0_o;
I hate to keep correcting myself (posting on a forum from work sucks), but look at my link. Chapters A thru L of Hi-Streamers (12 chapters total) were released in serialization on Animage from May 1987 to April 1988. But the actual three volume release had many more chapters to it, and were released later on (after the movie was released). So my original post was right. Hi-Streamer was not completely released, about half of it was. Beltorchika's Children wasn't completely released either when the movie was made.

And NO, while a Unicorn anime was certainly in discussion, they weren't physically working on its production until way after the novel started, which is something you can't say about CCA.

And finally, Hi-Streamer is basically 100% identical to the CCA movie according to another website, so its definitely not Tomino's original vision for the movie. Beltorchika's Children, the majority of which came out after the movie, is.
Old 2009-07-27, 16:03   Link #564
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Unfortunately, that website is more than likely inaccurate because the final volume of Hi Streamer was published in March of 1988 right around the time the movie came out. Therefore, the novels still came out before the movie. The dates on that website must be wonky because I own the novels and that's when they say they were published. Hi Streamer isn't an exact copy of the movie by any means. There are other parts of it that are different from the movie. Beltorchika Children was Tomino's original intent (as I discovered), but it was rejected. Instead, Hi Streamer was more or less adopted, with obvious modifications.

Also reread what I said about Unicorn. Given the involvement from Sunrise in the novel series, without a doubt the groundwork was being formed to create an anime even when Fukui was discussing it. He left subtle hints in his interviews, and from what fans have said as well, at his book signings.

And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Old 2009-07-27, 17:46   Link #565
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Also reread what I said about Unicorn. Given the involvement from Sunrise in the novel series, without a doubt the groundwork was being formed to create an anime even when Fukui was discussing it. He left subtle hints in his interviews, and from what fans have said as well, at his book signings.
There's a difference between laying "groundwork" and actually producing something. There is no doubt CCA movie was being physically animated at the same time the novels were being written, whereas the case is different for Unicorn.

I would say CCA is more similar to those anime with a manga adaptation that sometimes gets released a little bit before the anime as a promotional tool.

As far as the whole Hi-Streamer thing goes, I have checked the publishing date, and the third volume came out in March 15, 1988, which is three days after the movie premiered. So I am still correct.
Old 2009-07-27, 18:19   Link #566
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Movie premiered on the 2nd, according to one of the trailers that is. Either way, it was already printed (not to mention penned) by that point... so technically I still win :P

Old 2009-07-27, 18:33   Link #567
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Movie premiered on the 2nd, according to one of the trailers that is. Either way, it was already printed (not to mention penned) by that point... so technically I still win :P
The trailers could be wrong because every source online says the 12th.

As far as printing goes, I'm pretty darn sure they already have the film printed too by the time they printed the novels, so thats a moot point.
Old 2009-07-27, 18:55   Link #568
4Tran

The amount of rumors swirling around Unicorn are getting absurd now. I'm definitely not going to jump to any conclusions until a firm release date is announced.

Oh, and I think that you guys have gone on about the particulars of Char's Counterattack's release now. It's worth noting though, that the production cycle of anime movies is generally in the neighborhood of a year and a half.
Old 2009-07-30, 23:52   Link #569
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
東京ウォーカー増刊号「お台場Walker」のお詫びと訂正

東京ウォーカー増刊号(7/17発売)「お台場ウォーカー」内
P19「サンライズ州」でご紹介しました「GUNDAM BIG EXPO」について、
「今冬にスタートする新テレビシリーズ『機動戦士ガンダムUC』の最新情報も公開」
とありますが、正しくは
「今冬のアニメ化が発表された『機動戦士ガンダムUC』の最新情報も公開」
でした。
読者の皆様ならびに関係者の皆様へご迷惑をお掛けしましたことを深くお詫び申し上げます。
http://www.walkerplus.com/topics/owa...yo_odaiba.html

So no more TV series. Theatrical Movies Release ? But how the hell are they gonna satisfy the citeria for "Simultaneous Worldwide Release" ?
And it makes all the thing even more confusing with the apology writting "アニメ化" instead of "映画化".
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 05:56   Link #570
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
http://www.walkerplus.com/topics/owa...yo_odaiba.html

So no more TV series. Theatrical Movies Release ? But how the hell are they gonna satisfy the citeria for "Simultaneous Worldwide Release" ?
And it makes all the thing even more confusing with the apology writting "アニメ化" instead of "映画化".
I think they were just retracting their statement since they didn't announce the format yet. Though it seems more likely that it won't be a TV series, now that we lost our (only) piece of evidence indicating it as such.
Old 2009-07-31, 05:56   Link #571
Saga_CE

Guess I was right to put Odaiba Walker's statement in conditional form...

OVA, guys, OVA...
Old 2009-07-31, 07:21   Link #572
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga_CE View Post
OVA, guys, OVA...
Try ONA since it's from Sunrise mouth that they are aiming "Simultaneous Worldwide Release"

On a seperate note :-

Heh

Why do some people have this thing for innocence ? I find that the shit a the said character had to endure just add a lot more charm to him/her.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 10:08   Link #573
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Spoiler for Screen Cap:

If Phantom of Laplace is Episode 3, then it is almost certainly an OVA. Possibly distributed via ONA, but it'll be a short 5-6 episode series rather than a full length 13 or 26 ep one.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 10:23   Link #574
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

For those wondering, information in the shot:

Quote:
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM UNICORN
Episode.03 The Spectre of Laplace (tentative)

Version 6 (or Draft 6th)
Screenplay: Yasuyuki Muto

The Characters

Banagher Links
Audrey Burne (Mineva Lao Zabi)
Edited for Speculative ranting: Volume.05 is the Spectre of Laplace... so they're compressing 4 volumes worth of events into two episodes? Not to mention the Paulu space battle? Hah, wow... here's to hoping Volume 1 and 2 is a movie and episodes 1 and 2 are the "Red Comet" and "Paulu Capture Battle". :/

Old 2009-07-31, 10:44   Link #575
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Or they could be 45-60 min OVA length episodes. Not likely, but possible.
Old 2009-07-31, 10:56   Link #576
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Or they could be 45-60 min OVA length episodes. Not likely, but possible.
I'd say 99% unlikely... There's no financial sense in breaking norms and making 45-60 minute episodes, unless they plan to sell each DVD for twice as much...

Either way, it looks increasing like the reason why they take so long to announce the format is because the news will be disappointing...

Where's that capture from, BTW?
Old 2009-07-31, 11:26   Link #577
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
I'd say 99% unlikely... There's no financial sense in breaking norms and making 45-60 minute episodes, unless they plan to sell each DVD for twice as much...

Either way, it looks increasing like the reason why they take so long to announce the format is because the news will be disappointing...

Where's that capture from, BTW?
It depends on what sort of market they're targeting though. The director has repeated said that this is meant to be for the adult Gundam fans who grew up with the original Gundam series. Usually this means fans who are looking for a more mature and higher quality sort of product.

In comparison, look at how the Hellsing OVA is being produced. It's extremely faithful to the source material, and each volume runs anywhere from 41 mins to 55 mins, all for the same price. It's not impossible that they'll be doing this for Gundam UC, but like I said, it IS unlikely.

The capture is from a program on NHK that just aired I believe, covering some behind the scenes on Unicorn. More screens here:

Spoiler for Warning, Huge Image:
Old 2009-07-31, 11:55   Link #578
Saga_CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
I'd say 99% unlikely...
Oh, don't say that...
Old 2009-07-31, 16:20   Link #579
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So does anyone figure that if Bright Noah makes an appearance in Gundam Unicorn he probably won't have any lines. Keeping in mind that Hirotaka Suzuoki is dead and all.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 17:26   Link #580
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

He is going to be voiced by someone, he has to. His role in the series is crucial.

Tags
sci-fi, shounen