AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-07-05, 15:42   Link #41
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Thank you Gamer_2k4 that helped a lot. So...

The subversion seems clear enough at this point.

But can we say in a few words the deconstruction comes when a common narrative trope gets analyzed from a realistic perspective, without the utopistic view often associated with them?

For example Watchmen is a deconstruction of the superheroes, and Don quixote is a deconstruction of the chivalry novels.

On the other side the first episode of Ga-rei zero is definitely a subversion.

But then is Ubiquital really right by saying that Madoka is deconstruction?

Isn't the famous episode 3 actually a subversion of the common trope in magical girls anime that

Spoiler for Madoka episode3:

And can we really say that the tropes are analyzed from a realistic point of view?
It looks more like a dystopic view to me, which would make it a subversion.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 15:53   Link #42
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Thank you Gamer_2k4 that helped a lot. So...

The subversion seems clear enough at this point.

But can we say in a few words the deconstruction comes when a common narrative trope gets analyzed from a realistic perspective, without the utopistic view often associated with them?

For example Watchmen is a deconstruction of the superheroes, and Don quixote is a deconstruction of the chivalry novels.

On the other side the first episode of Ga-rei zero is definitely a subversion.

But then is Ubiquital really right by saying that Madoka is deconstruction?

Isn't the famous episode 3 actually a subversion of the common trope in magical girls anime that

Spoiler for Madoka episode3:

And can we really say that the tropes are analyzed from a realistic point of view?
It looks more like a dystopic view to me, which would make it a subversion.
Well Madoka isn't generally considered a deconstruction for episode 3 but because of it playing with the trope of when a magical creature offers you powers with no adverse effects or ulterior motives. This is basic trope that gets deconstruction throughout the show.
Old 2011-07-05, 16:32   Link #43
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I guess I always kind of have the feeling (right or wrong) that subversion is punchier, while deconstruction is more drawn out. In other words, a deconstruction is sort of an amalgam of subversions. From this perspective, Madoka is totally a deconstruction, not a subversion. But a deeper, more relevant reason than that, is that it goes out of its way to answer the "whys," something subversions don't necessarily do.

And, what the heck, just so it's not out in the open...
Spoiler for plot spoilers for madoka:
Old 2011-07-05, 18:24   Link #44
Kagayaki

Here is a nice reading of Madoka according to the more formal literary criticism definition of deconstruction (instead of the TVTropes variety).

Spoiler for madoka:
Old 2011-07-05, 18:31   Link #45
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
On what Kagayaki linked to on Madoka Magica

Spoiler for Madoka Magica spoilers:
Old 2011-07-05, 18:59   Link #46
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
On what Kagayaki linked to on Madoka Magica

Spoiler for Madoka Magica spoilers:
Spoiler for Madoka:
Old 2011-07-05, 19:57   Link #47
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
To me, magical girls have to have a transformation sequence or a costume change and they actually need to use magic. People call shows like Fancy Lala and Full Moon "magical girl" series but I don't really consider them as such because neither girl is a magic user.

I also think a magical girl is different from a witch or sorceress. Like Lina Inverse can use magic but Slayers is definitely not considered a magical girl series. I don't really count Shakugan No Shana as a magical girl series either....though I'm not sure why, really. It just doesn't feel like one. lol Perhaps because Shana doesn't actually perform...."spells"....she just has her sword and can use fire. She feels more like a warrior. But so does Youko from Devil Hunter Youko....and she IS classified as a magical girl.

So yeah....trying to come up with an explanation to why Shana is not a magical girl series is.....difficult.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2011-07-05 at 20:10.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 20:32   Link #48
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
So yeah....trying to come up with an explanation to why Shana is not a magical girl series is.....difficult.
Let's see...
1) No cute animal mascot
2) No fancy costume
3) She doesn't actually save anyone or make people happy. She kills monsters and replaces their victims with temporary clones that fade away and are forgotten. Shana herself is cynical and jaded. There's no happiness or reward in a Flame Haze's job.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 20:58   Link #49
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Man, it seems these terms are pretty damned arbitrary.

Then again, I see most genre defining terms as pretty worthless, as many a term gets thrown around like nothing (slice of life, etc). Or something like moe, people can't agree at all on that it seems.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 21:13   Link #50
Kagayaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
Spoiler for Madoka:
Spoiler for madoka, and perhaps off topic by now:
Old 2011-07-05, 21:15   Link #51
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
One thing to take note of, to get things back on track.... meanings change. The meanings and definitions of words and terms change over the years, slowly evolving bit by bit. So what someone might consider mahou shoujo today, is not quite the same that the next generation will.

There are probably people out there who are adamant that Sailor Moon isn't mahou Shoujo, because she's fighting evil people and there's more than one girl. "Magical girl implies just one girl, like Sally the Witch! And they use their magic for every day stuff! This stuff today isn't TRUE classical mahou shoujo!"

What would you say to such people?

So it's one thing I urge thought and caution on. We're always tempted to say our view is the correct one, and they changed it, now it sucks. Anyone familiar with the Transformers fandom, probably remembers the negative "Trukk not Munky" reaction in response to finding out Optimus was going to be a gorilla in Beast Wars.

Things change, evolve. And old people always think that they are the ones who listened to music, while kids today just listen to crass noise. It's called "getting older" but also heralds shades of elitism, ie, "I'm a TRUE fan because I liked it the way it was! But all these new people are n00bs and everyone coming in is ruining it!"

For myself, I can only then phrase these classifications as my opinion. I don't want to come across as old or elitist. Whether change is good or bad, is solely in our own mind. If a lot of people like something, such as Nanoha Force amounts of older women with mecha-like attachments pulling their magic for energy, then the genre will evolve and change.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 21:36   Link #52
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post

There are probably people out there who are adamant that Sailor Moon isn't mahou Shoujo, because she's fighting evil people and there's more than one girl.
You're KIDDING me.....

That's...........

I mean, WHAT!?

Sailormoon defines the mahou shoujo genre for me, personally.

Fighting evil is WHAT MAHOU SHOUJO DO!!

Sakura...........fights evil/chaos/things that could hurt people.
Ririka.............fights evil
Himeno.........fights evil.
Ahiru.............fights evil.
Jeanne..........fights evil.
Nanoha, Wedding Peach, Mermaid Melody, Pretty Cure, Tokyo Mew Mew... there are so many mahou shoujo series that fight evil, I'm positive there's way more of them that fight evil in ratio to the ones who don't!!

Quote:
1) No cute animal mascot
That's not exactly mandatory.... I can name a few series that don't have 'em.
Old 2011-07-05, 22:43   Link #53
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
3) She doesn't actually save anyone or make people happy. She kills monsters and replaces their victims with temporary clones that fade away and are forgotten. Shana herself is cynical and jaded. There's no happiness or reward in a Flame Haze's job.
Uh... other comments are valid, but Shana does save people if she didn't defeat them more people would certainly be harmed in addition she does heal those who she can after the battle, and repair damages done to the environment.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 23:48   Link #54
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Uh... other comments are valid, but Shana does save people if she didn't defeat them more people would certainly be harmed in addition she does heal those who she can after the battle, and repair damages done to the environment.
You know that is not what I mean by saving people. Mahou shoujo generally save actual victims, not just potential victims. After defeating the MotD, everything goes back to normal in a typical mahou shoujo show. In Shana, a victim who has been consumed is permanently dead. And the way she repairs damage after a battle involves sacrificing previous victims who are almost burnt out. A typical mahou shoujo would never sacrifice other people.

Old 2011-07-06, 00:25   Link #55
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I'm not incredibly familiar with the genre, but even with my limited knowledge I think it's easy to say which qualities make a magical girl show...

- Cute young female lead with the majority of the supporting cast being female
- Cute familiar that is usually the one to grant the girl her powers
- Frilly dress outfit that's applied through a somewhat suggestive transformation scene
- Magic is the core method of battle, but at times could branch out to other ways
- Story usually involves defeating some villain or gathering items of some sort
- Target demographic is young girls

Of course the last point has exceptions. I'm a young adult male and yet I'm finding Nanoha StrikerS quite entertaining to watch. It feels like they tried to aim at the male audience with this season unlike the first, and to a lesser extent A's.

Experimentation is risky sometimes but if done right it can really result in a unique and awesome experience. From what I've heard Madoka Magica is like this, and while I have yet to watch it myself, I believe the series would be a good example of that based on what I've heard and considering it's stellar reception.

I'm still waiting for that magical girl lead that's a total badass though. Not sure how long that'll be.~
Old 2011-07-06, 06:11   Link #56
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
You're KIDDING me.....

That's...........

I mean, WHAT!?

You can say this because you're deliberately disregarding shows that don't conform to your world view.
You disregard girls like Full Moon and Fancy Lala but would Mermaid Melody Pitchi Pitchi Pitch exist without their forerunner Creamy Mami?
(There were a couple of scenes where Mami used non transformation magic BTW.)

Shows like Creamy Mami have never not been considered magical girl series.
Also you're using very loose definitions of evil (Sakura) and fights (Ahiru). Yes fighters are more popular now but non fighter still exist (Lil Pri), partial fighters exist (the first and last seasons of Shugo Chara had several episodes with no fighting.) and shows about idols who aren't magical girls are also becoming common (Kirarin Revolution, Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream).

This last point reduces the amount of idol magical girls because the magic isn't needed anymore.
Old 2011-07-06, 07:23   Link #57
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
This last point reduces the amount of idol magical girls because the magic isn't needed anymore.
Wait a minute, you're saying that Kirarin Revolution and Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream are mahou shoujo, and that no magic is needed? I have not watched the shows, but from what I know of them they're not mahou shoujo at all! For lack of a better term, they are idol shows, for lack of a better name for that genre.

Old 2011-07-06, 07:34   Link #58
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Wait a minute, you're saying that Kirarin Revolution and Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream are mahou shoujo, and that no magic is needed? I have not watched the shows, but from what I know of them they're not mahou shoujo at all! For lack of a better term, they are idol shows, for lack of a better name for that genre.
I'm saying exactly the opposite.

Kirarin Revolution and Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream are NOT magical girl shows but they are idol shows.

The first idol shows were magical girl shows because the girls needed to be kids (like the audience) but old enough to be in show business. To fix this problem the girls were able to age themselves up with magic (in a way that makes them magical girls).

Now days however idol shows WITHOUT magic are being created. Therefore reducing the number of non-fighting magical girls.
Old 2011-07-06, 07:54   Link #59
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
I'm saying exactly the opposite.

Kirarin Revolution and Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream are NOT magical girl shows but they are idol shows.

The first idol shows were magical girl shows because the girls needed to be kids (like the audience) but old enough to be in show business. To fix this problem the girls were able to age themselves up with magic (in a way that makes them magical girls).

Now days however idol shows WITHOUT magic are being created. Therefore reducing the number of non-fighting magical girls.
Okay, that's more clear. I was vaguely aware of those, but never did seriously consider them mahou shoujo since the magic was limited to aging up as far as I know.

Old 2011-07-06, 19:12   Link #60
4Tran

If we pare down the Mahou Shoujo genre to its essentials, we can see that historically it's just an extension of the the shoujo genre in general. Instead of stories about girls doing their best to accomplish tasks, it's about girls gaining powers to allow them to do cool things. They are very much wish fulfillment fantasies where the target audience is supposed to identify with the main character.

A lot of newer Mahou Shoujo shows are geared towards a male audience, and so they move away the original concepts. Here, the audience isn't supposed to identify with the magical girls; rather more as subjects of admiration. I don't think that the difference is enough to disqualify such shows as Mahou Shoujo shows, but it's useful to distinguish between the two groups. Perhaps the former can be classified as Classical Mahou Shoujo, and the latter as Shounen Mahou Shoujo.

Looking at the vast majority of Mahou Shoujo titles, a few useful patterns show up:

1. The show should be about a girl (or girls) who uses magic as an empowerment tool. The magic could be classical magic, super science or what have you, but it has to be prominent.

2. This magical power should be unknown in the normal world; with perhaps just a couple of groups aware of its existence.

3. There should be a strong dichotomy between the girl's normal life and her magical life. Almost always, this manifests as a need to keep the magic a secret from friends and family.

Pretty much everything else (transformations, mascots, etc.) can be considered as trappings. Some or most shows will have them, but they aren't an essential part of what makes the Mahou Shoujo part work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
For all intents and purposes, why isn't Shana considered a magical girl show? Shana is a girl, wields supernatural powers, and even has a bit of a transformation. She's fighting some kind of destructive forces. Personally, I think the traditional approach to mahou shoujo is much too rigid.
The only reason why Shana can be considered a magical girl at all is because she has magical powers. Her show isn't about her to begin with, and she doesn't satisfy the condition of having a normal/magical dichotomy. Her Flame Haze aspect is what she truly is, and everything is subordinate to that. The transformations and what not aren't really defining characteristics of Mahou Shoujo. It's really easier to just regard Shana as a Shounen action show that happens to have a girl with magical powers in it. It's about as much of a Mahou Shoujo show as Twelve Kingdoms.

I'm not trying to pick on Triple_R. I'm responding to these points only because they're a good summation of the debate.
Quote:
1. Action-oriented with a female lead (Sailor Moon's impact is somewhat lasting here I think)
This shouldn't be necessary, and in fact, Mahou Shoujo show weren't action-oriented until Sailor Moon.

Quote:
2. Frilly, pouffy costumes as DonQuigleone pointed out.

3. Transformation scenes.
While both of the above are common conventions, I'm not sure why either of them are necessary. They don't have much to do with the substance of being magical girls, they're just artifacts of how magical girls appear.

Quote:
4. Powers explicitly arising from magical and/or supernatural source
Agreed. Although I'd also add sufficiently advanced technology.

Quote:
5. Cute familiar (even if evil )
The reason why cute mascots are so common in Mahou Shoujo shows is because it gives a character to explain things to the protagonist, and it serves as a way to discuss magical happenings without revealing the secret identity. In other words, the mascot exists because it is a Mahou Shoujo show rather than it defining it as one.

Quote:
6. Female-dominated cast (but can have male characters in major roles).

7. Magical monsters and/or Dark Magical Girls/Witches for enemies.
This is more overly strong influence from Sailor Moon. As long as the show is about a magical girl, there doesn't have to be another female character in the cast, nor does there have to be an enemy to begin with.

Quote:
To me, magical girls have to have a transformation sequence or a costume change and they actually need to use magic. People call shows like Fancy Lala and Full Moon "magical girl" series but I don't really consider them as such because neither girl is a magic user.
And yet those shows are entirely about the main characters using their magic. What would be your justification for not including them? For that matter, why do you think that a costume change is required at all? After all, Sally the Witch didn't.

Quote:
You're KIDDING me.....

That's...........

I mean, WHAT!?

When Sailor Moon first came out, it was very different from all the pre-existing Mahou Shoujo shows except for Devil Hunter Yohko. Sailor Moon is the superlative Mahou Shoujo now, but it only defines the genre because it was such a new take on it and because it spawned so many imitators.