AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Old 2004-01-15, 19:03   Link #41
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
Sure:

Yaoi - Love between men
Yuri - Love between women

Therefore "Low Key Yuri" roughly equals "suggested relationships of an intimate level between women"

Oh, thank you. Now I am even more interested.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 07:24   Link #42
wao
OK.

I wasn't very interested at first, because I thought it would be a boring anime meant to show girls how to behave properly, along with a load of religious crap... but I'm glad I watched it; there isn't much emphasis on religion, iirc it was supposed to be set in a period some time back where religion would have been a pretty large part of life.

However, I can identify with it well because I can understand their emotions pretty well. Hey, I am a girl... I also am in a girls' school; this kind of stuff does happen.

Hehe, so it's called Mari-mite for short. I keep thinking of Marmite... now why is that so? :P

I personally can't wait for the next ep. I love this kind of stuff (well hopefully it doesn't get too melodramatic...)
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 09:39   Link #43
Yakumae
Queen of the Gum-Gums

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
Sure:

Yaoi - Love between men
Yuri - Love between women

Therefore "Low Key Yuri" roughly equals "suggested relationships of an intimate level between women"

You can also use the words shounen-ai (boy / boy romance (not sex)) and shoujo-ai (girl / girl romance (not sex)).

If anything I would classify this series as shoujo-ai.... NOT yuri, at least not from what I can see from the first episode.
Yakumae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 01:46   Link #44
guynextdoor
arcueid !! ^^

one qns, is the artist for fruits basket the same as the one for Maria ? the chars kinda look similar
guynextdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 02:05   Link #45
Go-lytely

I'm glad I took all those years of french now. I've never seen Utena but it was refreshing to see something different. Like a lot of people here, I am curious where they are going to take the story.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 09:21   Link #46
shinobu4ever
The original echhi!!

I thought this was a very weird show at first it was hard to understand what was happening with all the french words,but i think i get whats happening now(may have to watch the episode again), the animation is beautiful thats atleast anough to keep me watching for atleast 3 more episodes.
shinobu4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 15:50   Link #47
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guynextdoor
one qns, is the artist for fruits basket the same as the one for Maria ? the chars kinda look similar
Not to my knowledge... But this art style is VERY common among shoujo manga/anime and that's why they look so similar.
Old 2004-01-17, 18:29   Link #48
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
I didn't much care for this anime.

Fighting a battle while still staying in "proper manners" is something that appeals to women more than men. (In fact it's VERY ANNOYING to most men.) This story does a good job of portraying it, though.

Utena had similar ideas, but also had the SPICY hot erotica, swordfights, and a touch of humor. I seriously doubt if this anime will have the same amount of fans.

-k
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 20:41   Link #49
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I didn't really like this series either. I don't really like any of the characters, so I don't care what happens to them. Still I didn't think it was horrible. It seemed well written, but it just didn't interest me. Maybe when a few more episodes are out I'll check back. It seems like it's going to be a slow anime season, so I'll probably have time for it.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 18:07   Link #50
mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempis Curious

Fighting a battle while still staying in "proper manners" is something that appeals to women more than men. (In fact it's VERY ANNOYING to most men.) This story does a good job of portraying it, though.

Utena had similar ideas, but also had the SPICY hot erotica, swordfights, and a touch of humor. I seriously doubt if this anime will have the same amount of fans.

-k
Don't want to be offensive or anything, but I have never seen anyone not-getting Utena like this.

The whole message of the series was how girls should choose their own path without acting in a the way deemed proper to them by men. Utena was hardly what you could call a girl being "proper". She almost killed Mikage outside of the battlefield while giving him a good ass-whooping, dressed in a guy's uniform (instead of a girl's) and her closet was so full of mess it could shoot you six feet back when you opened it.

I have a feeling this anime is also going to touch upon what it does to someone when being subjecated to a set of rigid rules (the title seems to indicate that) instead of glorifying it.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 21:24   Link #51
guess

well, in the preview of the 3rd ep, I think it mentions something that the president of student council of that boys' school, who is going to play the role of prince with Sachiko, is actually her fiancée. Is that true?
It’s highly possible that I got it wrong.
It's getting more and more interesting.
Old 2004-01-18, 21:28   Link #52
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
well, in the preview of the 3rd ep, I think it mentions something that the president of student council of that boys' school, who is going to play the role of prince with Sachiko, is actually her fiancée. Is that true?
It’s highly possible that I got it wrong.
It's getting more and more interesting.
All I know is that she really hates him enough to avoid getting the part. I don't think he is her fiancee.

Last edited by Keitarou20; 2004-01-18 at 21:47.
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 02:00   Link #53
ameoba

Send a message via ICQ to ameoba Send a message via AIM to ameoba Send a message via Yahoo to ameoba
I dunno... based entirely on the 1st episode, I fail to see any real romantic tension. Like another poster said, the relationships are closer to a sorority than anything, with some underclassman hero-worship type insecurities tossed in.

Granted, if this was the late-night movie on cable TV, the all-girl catholic school would be a perfect setting for some T&A sexual-tension stuff. We've all got weaknesses for that kind of thing but at this point (unless there's something in the manga that I don't know about) any assumptions of such goings on are just projection. Often times, one of the big things single-sex schools say they have going for them is the lack of sexual tension between students, allowing students to thrive accademically without the distractions of adolescents dealing with the opposite sex.
ameoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 08:04   Link #54
Kensuke

Hmm... ep. 2 was definetely more interesting than the first one, you can count this as a shoujo-ai series, but is there anything like that or just normal relationships...
Anyway I'm interested how the story is going to develop. Its clear that this series is not going to very fast. (slow pacing makes episodes seems longer than 20+ minutes)

Edit: Forget that to me
Spoiler:

Last edited by Kensuke; 2004-01-19 at 08:18.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 08:10   Link #55
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Just seen ep2 also. Yumi definitely has the hots for Sachiko. (sp) So this is definitely a shoujo-ai series. I'm liking it so far its a tad bit more interesting then the first episode. Its very interesting to see how all the girls interact with each other were their isn't the opposite sex around. I look forward to ep3.
Old 2004-01-19, 08:56   Link #56
davFunereal
Village watchman.

The second episode is very eventful--just saw it. It's hardly similar to the first, and I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

Highlight (spoiler): That piano scene had me swooning. This is such a sweet show. Yumi's face is more expressive too, na?

If you dropped off after watching the first episode, come back and see episode 2.

Last edited by davFunereal; 2004-01-19 at 09:07.
davFunereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 12:37   Link #57
saku~ya
la~li~lo

I loved that episode, I particularly enjoyed watching the Piano scene. It was also one of my favorite music pieces ^_^ Yumi obviously came to the conclusion of her feelings. Makes me wonder if anyone else knows whats going on with her.

I am looking forward to episode 3. Yumi is dancing with a boy, I wonder if she will be able to dance alright ^^;
saku~ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 13:20   Link #58
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by saku~ya
I loved that episode, I particularly enjoyed watching the Piano scene. It was also one of my favorite music pieces ^_^ Yumi obviously came to the conclusion of her feelings. Makes me wonder if anyone else knows whats going on with her.

I am looking forward to episode 3. Yumi is dancing with a boy, I wonder if she will be able to dance alright ^^;

Yumi is dancing with a boy??? I thought that “boy” was Rei, the stand-in prince, because Sachiko is dancing with that president of student council of some boys’ school in ep. 3. But Yumi needs practice anyway, in case she loses the bet, hehe.

Like I said, this is getting more and more interesting, and I love piano. I am just grateful that someone fansub this series and fast!
Old 2004-01-19, 15:21   Link #59
saku~ya
la~li~lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Yumi is dancing with a boy??? I thought that “boy” was Rei, the stand-in prince, because Sachiko is dancing with that president of student council of some boys’ school in ep. 3. But Yumi needs practice anyway, in case she loses the bet, hehe.

Like I said, this is getting more and more interesting, and I love piano. I am just grateful that someone fansub this series and fast!

Ehh.. gomen gomen I got confused for a second there I meant Sachiko
saku~ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 15:50   Link #60
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

It would be nice if Lunar or some other big name group picked it up but I think the only group subbing it is doing a pretty good job at it.