AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-08, 10:10   Link #41
u&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion
you who said you liked Avenger: You are history's greatest monsters!

Layla is boooring with her I'm-so-baddass-I-don't-have-to-have-a-character shtick
Yup, Avenger sure is garbage.

I belive Layla has reasons for behaving like she does there is manga precluding the anime that gives alot more background on the characters. I'm sure we'll see some character backround episodes in the future fleshing out Layla, Yuri and the rest.

Anyway the fact that the rest of the crew (a bunch of desillusioned(sp?) loosers) gets faced with with this totally naive idealistic optimist is whats drawing me into this show. That and the fact that the show also can be interpreted as just a big heap of left-wing anti globalist propaganda. If this is going to be Tanabe vs the system I'm cheering for Tanabe all the way.
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 10:21   Link #42
NenMaster

dumping this shit as well. u forget it s 2075 or what ever, dont u think the youngsters in that era would be more inteligent?

did u see ep 3, shes a god damn hipacrite
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 12:22   Link #43
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NenMaster
dumping this shit as well. u forget it s 2075 or what ever, dont u think the youngsters in that era would be more inteligent?

Actually kids are getting more stupid these days. Some of them can't even use the shift key... :fingers:
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 15:40   Link #44
NenMaster

lol, but compared 2 us now they should be more inteligent

DoNt YoU ThInK?
Old 2003-11-08, 15:47   Link #45
Tboz

Quote:

you are talking about planetes?

can elaborate about the hypocrite part?
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 16:08   Link #46
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Quote:
dumping this <profanity removed> as well. u forget it s 2075 or what ever, dont u think the youngsters in that era would be more inteligent?

Hypocrit ?
Did you actually pay attention to the anime, If you did then elaborate.
More intelligent in the future ?
Comeon we are not much clever then our Great great grand fathers.
Sakaki- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 17:18   Link #47
NenMaster

She said make a will so that your family will know your wishes are etc and she when on <...> about it.
Then when they find a space coffin she disregarded what the guy said in his will.

Need more?

Edit by Mod (xris): colourful language removed

Last edited by xris; 2003-11-09 at 05:54.
Old 2003-11-08, 18:28   Link #48
musouka

No, it was more like she was saying "Death is a serious matter. Leave something to comfort those you leave behind and don't be so selfish." That's why she was having so much trouble writing her will. She wanted to leave something more to her family, not say "follow my instructions to the letter, dammit".

Also, I really don't know what the big stink about her actions in episode 3 is about. Before the board got reset, you heard people complaining that they didn't follow the dead man's wishes...

Well, I've got some pretty shocking news for you, but he's DEAD. He doesn't want anything at the moment, he's just a corpse in a tube. And, hell, if bringing the body back to earth helps the person that's LIVING (his daughter) deal with his death better, then I say go for it. It's obvious that she had regrets about his death, and that maybe having his remains be with her would be a source of comfort. So what's wrong with that? It's not like he's going to magically wake up and get all pissed off about, so I'm afraid I can't see the harm in Tanabe trying to make someone feel a little better about a painful moment in their life.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 18:44   Link #49
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Well, she made it clear she thought the guy floated back to Earth of his own accord - dead or not. That's the whole reason she was so insistent about not sending him packing again. She thought he had changed his mummified "mind" and wanted to return. So it was for *his* sake and not his daughter's.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 18:52   Link #50
Tboz

Quote:
She said make a will so that your family will know your wishes are etc and she when on like a <bee-ep> about it.
Then when they find a space coffin she disregarded what the guy said in his will.

Need more?
Did she said that?

From the subs. She said "I thought that you're supposed to put word of thanks or farewell messages to your parents and friends in your will..."

And in the warehouse she said "I need to think about what I can leave to my family and friends..."

She never said anything about wishes...

Last edited by NightWish; 2003-11-09 at 09:42.
Old 2003-11-08, 19:25   Link #51
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboz
From the subs. She said "I thought that you're supposed to put word of thanks or farewell messages to your parents and friends in your will..."
And in the warehouse she said "I need to think about what I can leave to my family and friends..."
Yes, she seems to not have a good idea about what a will is for. A will is a legal document - she seemed to be thinking more along the lines of a suicide note
Old 2003-11-08, 19:29   Link #52
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocariSweat
Well, she made it clear she thought the guy floated back to Earth of his own accord - dead or not. That's the whole reason she was so insistent about not sending him packing again. She thought he had changed his mummified "mind" and wanted to return. So it was for *his* sake and not his daughter's.
You could look at it that way.

Or, what I got out of it was that the daughter had doubts about how much he really cared about her and her mother. She even mentioned that his will contained nothing about the two of them. This is what Tanabe was thinking about earlier in the episode, and I think that's partially what set her off.

Using the "miracle" of him coming back from deep space, she argued that, in fact, he really HAD loved her and her mother, and wanted to be with them. Otherwise our dear mummy in a tube would still be out there floating. She wasn't saying this for the benefit of the mummy. She was telling the daughter "Hey, your dad loved you and wanted to come back to you. That's why he's here."

And that made the daughter feel better. That's why I think Tanabe was so insistant upon the space-mummy going home, otherwise she would have taken action before talking to the daughter.
Old 2003-11-08, 20:03   Link #53
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
You could look at it that way.
That's why I think Tanabe was so insistant upon the space-mummy going home, otherwise she would have taken action before talking to the daughter.
Heh, I think that's just how long it took to percolate through her noggin. I propose this mental transcript (now in XML!)

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<TanabesBrain>
<THOUGHT>His return was a "miracle"</THOUGHT>
<THOUGHT>His daugher felt neglected by him</THOUGHT>
<CONCLUSION>He wanted to return to his daughter!</CONCLUSION>
<ACTION style="rash">Steal Coffin now!!!!</ACTION> 
</TanabesBrain>
Old 2003-11-08, 21:55   Link #54
NenMaster

hahaha, he wanted something doing in his will and she ignored it by saying it was a miracle that he came back. so forget the will and bury him on earth
Old 2003-11-08, 23:52   Link #55
Lanthis
Nen Addict

If its not Gundam, DBZ, or Naruto, or does not have fighting, it MUST suck, duh.
Lanthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 01:28   Link #56
zzzz

er, hachimaki and russian guy said it was a miracle since the beginning of ep3.
zzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 01:39   Link #57
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
I think what disappoints people is that it's not full of whiz-bang action.

I think they're also put off by the lack of one constant storyline. I don't remember how that affected people's perception of Someday's Dreamers (Mahou-tsukai ni taisetsu na koto), and I'm sure such an opinion would have damaged people's perception of Cowboy Bebop!

Personally I like stories like Planetes. They have a rock solid setting, and tell stories within it. The creators (and original manga artist) take no liberties with it being fiction and keep the science aspect "hard," making Planetes as close to true scifi as you can get.

And personally I like all the characters, if a few are a bit over the top at times. Tanabe is still a bit green to the "real world," and Hachimaki seems to have been stomped on by it (but learns to mostly get over it.)

I must say, I thought episode 4 was great. I think by the end everyone including myself was hating the punk kid that was stuck to them. I think anyone who liked the show probably cheered for Tanabe at the end.

So I say:

If you don't like it, don't watch. I don't expect any more than what I've seen but I certainly like it a lot.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 01:50   Link #58
musouka

Quote:
hahaha, he wanted something doing in his will and she ignored it by saying it was a miracle that he came back. so forget the will and bury him on earth
Yes, but the point was that it wasn't hypocritical of her to do so, since she made it perfectly clear that she though wills should be more about the survivors, and not about the people that had died's wants. I don't understand why you have such difficulty grasping this concept.

Quote:
I must say, I thought episode 4 was great. I think by the end everyone including myself was hating the punk kid that was stuck to them. I think anyone who liked the show probably cheered for Tanabe at the end.
Yeah, I've liked Tanabe since the beginning--I find her more amusing than annoying--but that episode just solidified it in my mind. Sure she has some growing up to do, and, yeah, she can be loud, but at least her heart is always in the right place.

Four was a pretty typical type of story (aka "The Asshole Rich Kid Gets Taught a Lesson") but that doesn't make the ending any less satistfying.
Old 2003-11-09, 03:06   Link #59
Anax
Animefactory Encoder

Thinking about it, Tanabe reminds me a *lot* of Izumi Noa in Patlabor. She's the new kid, she's kind of naive, but she has a lot of heart. In Πλανετεσ, Tanabe is humanity contrasted with the harsh realities of space. From compassion to irrationality even to the urge to *be* in space.

Anyway, this is certainly not the first time that naive newcomer joins team of misfits has been done. And, well, it's been done well before, too. We'll just have to see where this one goes. The danger is that I'm not sure there's much of a possibility of conflict in this series--but, well, I liked Someday's Dreamers well enough even though it was lacking that as well. (I'd really like to see it developed further, though... So many unanswered questions.)

But Πλανετεσ is good, like Someday's Dreamers, for what it's not: it's not a fighting show, it's not a harem show, it's not a moody conspiracy show, and it's not a "So Crazy It's Undefinable!" show. In short, it's *not* just another version of what's currently very popular. (And yes, I do like some of those kinds of shows as well.)

How can it not be good to see people trying to tell a story in a different way?
Anax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 03:18   Link #60
Tboz

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
So I say:

If you don't like it, don't watch. I don't expect any more than what I've seen but I certainly like it a lot.
Yea, its similar to Evangelion, some people trash it, and some people love it. Some shows are just targeted at specific audience, they can't possibly please everybody and still retain the essence of what they were trying to convey.

Heck, this thread might not have existed if there were none of the thrashing to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
Yes, but the point was that it wasn't hypocritical of her to do so, since she made it perfectly clear that she though wills should be more about the survivors, and not about the people that had died's wants. I don't understand why you have such difficulty grasping this concept.
Exactly.