AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-05-19, 13:17   Link #41
Jagger

Most superhero costumes are modernized in some way when they're adapted.

Compare a 1980 superman

to a 2013 one

Fashion has changed a lot since the old source material, not a great idea to copy it too closely
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-19, 13:34   Link #42
monster

Even the 2013 version of Superman's outfit can still be described as a cheerleader outfit with a cape. I see nothing wrong with that as cheerleader outfits can look great. The only thing that actually needs to be changed is the outside-underwear look.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-19, 16:49   Link #43
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
Most superhero costumes are modernized in some way when they're adapted.

Fashion has changed a lot since the old source material, not a great idea to copy it too closely
What Monster said. Superman's "pant-less" costume in MoS is also pretty much from the newer version of Superman in comics:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, my previous Supergilrl example is among the newer version of the Supergirl costumes from the comics, just like the "modern" Superman above. It's waaaay newer than your Christopher Reeve-era example.
Old 2015-05-19, 20:14   Link #44
Jagger

Lol man of steel doesn't look like a cheerleader. I wouldn't mind seeing Clark Kent in a skirt though, that would be... interesting.

Isn't comic book supergirl like 16? I could buy the costume if it was a 16 year old wearing it. But in the TV show she's 24 and working a job, it feels off. They gave her the brain of a 16 year old too.
Old 2015-05-19, 20:56   Link #45
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well there likely was a bit of social adjustment for her that could contribute to that reality. Going from the culture you know, all your friends, your family, and being shot off to some strange land where you know at most, one person, and he spent basically his entire life there. You have serious culture shock going on, then powers from the yellow sun on top of that. She's not exactly going to be a normal 24 year old.
Old 2015-05-19, 22:18   Link #46
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Isn't comic book supergirl like 16? I could buy the costume if it was a 16 year old wearing it. But in the TV show she's 24 and working a job, it feels off. They gave her the brain of a 16 year old too.
So now you change your tune from “Cheerleader outfit with cape sucks!!” to “Well, I can buy the outfit but the one wearing it is 24 so it sucks!!”? Skirt has always been part of Supergirl’s costume in most of her iteration. Abandoning it will be like abandoning the Bat-logo on Batman’s chest. It is very much possible in some occasions, but you’ll be removing one of the costume’s trademarks. Hell, even Nolan’s “realistic” approach still retains the Bat-logo on the chest despite being unnecessary realistically-speaking. Supergirl and skirt and cape are very close together. Unless you want them to treat her like Clark in Smallville or live-action Wolverine: no costume, just boring civilian clothes, black tight-suits or shirtless .
Old 2015-05-19, 22:49   Link #47
Jagger

The costume is ugly and age inappropriate. If you like it, well good for you. You can argue all day that the costume "has" to be this or that way, but it doesn't, they had regency to do whatever they wanted and they chose to do this.
Old 2015-05-19, 23:31   Link #48
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Lol man of steel doesn't look like a cheerleader. I wouldn't mind seeing Clark Kent in a skirt though, that would be... interesting.

While this isn't Clark Kent, he is the night, he is..

Old 2015-05-20, 00:48   Link #49
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

To quote Mrs. Kent in "Lois and ClarK", "Well, they won't be looking at your face."
Old 2015-05-20, 02:31   Link #50
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
The costume is ugly and age inappropriate.
Since when a skirt is inappropriate for 24-year-old girls?

Since when a skirt is inappropriate for 24-year-old female superheroes when the older Wonder Woman are just fine kicking criminals’ asses while wearing what amounts to a bathing-suit?
Old 2015-05-20, 19:14   Link #51
Jagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
While this isn't Clark Kent, he is the night, he is..

That's.. glorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Since when a skirt is inappropriate for 24-year-old girls?
What? The cheerleader vibe of the costume is what's off for me. Nobody said she's not allowed to wear a skirt.
Old 2015-05-20, 20:01   Link #52
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
What? The cheerleader vibe of the costume is what's off for me. Nobody said she's not allowed to wear a skirt.
Well, outside the skirt, no other elements of her costume is anything special from any other female superheroes. Cape? Tight suit? Been done a million times already. So, if you don’t have a problem with her wearing a skirt (pretty much the only element that makes it look like a cheerleader), why do you even said it’s “age inappropriate”? Your reasoning seems to contradict itself.
Old 2015-05-20, 20:29   Link #53
Jagger

I'm impressed by your insistence to debate the semantics of skirts on the internet
Old 2015-05-20, 21:00   Link #54
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I'm impressed by your insistence to debate the semantics of skirts on the internet
  1. I’m not debating on the meaning of skirt. Just doing comparison and finding hole in your argument.
  2. If we talk about Supergirl’s costume, talking about her skirt is inevitable just like Batman’s cape and cowl.
  3. I’m not the one who has problems with Supergirl’s “cheerleader-like” costume. So I actually enjoy talking about it.
Old 2015-05-20, 21:06   Link #55
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The only one I can remember that was noticably different was Supergirl's look during the 1990s on the Superman animated series (and most of those that came after until her last appearence in Justice League Unlimited which returned her something like what she will wear in this new series). That was a white top and blue tight skirt.
Old 2015-05-22, 19:48   Link #56
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well the pilot is out. there is a lot of "because she's a girl" type feeling going on. tone that down, and you've got an entertaining show. otherwise it just becomes irritating over time.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-22, 23:14   Link #57
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Agreed.
Arrow and Flash don't beat us over the head every 10 minutes with "because he's a man", so knock it down a few notches, this is not 1950.
People are used to female heroes, we've had decades of Buffy, Xena or Sidney Bistow who fought the good fight and got the job done.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-22, 23:35   Link #58
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe they are doing it to justify the "girl" in Supergirl, rather than have her be Superwoman, or just Super (or some other potentally politically correct naming convention).
Old 2015-05-23, 00:44   Link #59
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
People are used to female heroes, we've had decades of Buffy, Xena or Sidney Bistow who fought the good fight and got the job done.
I don't know who Sidney Bistow is, but I'm pretty sure Buffy had a lot of "because she's a girl" moments. And Xena also had her moments, but her background included being an actual villain, so that helped even out her character, not to mention she lived in a more dangerous time.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-23, 08:21   Link #60
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well i just watched the pilot.
Spoiler for Impressions:

Tags
series