AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-06, 20:09   Link #41
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I had thought this was only getting 12 eps?
Old 2014-01-06, 20:15   Link #42
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Rough start, rough start. Got better further in though I have to admit. The highlight was probably the interaction between the main character and that girl.

The whole argument between the siblings though.....noooott my cup of tea, I hope it isn't too much of a reoccurring theme, there's only so much of annoying, pointless arguments I can take.
Old 2014-01-06, 20:19   Link #43
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Let's give it a chance, eh?

Personally at the moment I see it could head in some really interesting directions, and it may have a lot more to unfold.

It has barely had a chance to introduce itself, after all. ^^
Old 2014-01-06, 22:39   Link #44
lightbringer
M9000

Off to a better start than half the other series that aired already. The setting is consistent, too (unlike both Nobunaga spinoffs, lol). There are some questionable moments but I will enjoy this.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 22:45   Link #45
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well Claire is cute and those planes look all right but ill wait for those air battles to come
Old 2014-01-06, 23:43   Link #46
jzmagic
flargansbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Hmm. I found myself really enjoying quite a few things in ep 1, but every once in a while something would come up that seemed "off", perhaps words like rushed or jagged or skittery might hint at it....

Hmm. Maybe the use of minor keys and the odd melody in the ED might be another hint or reference point.

Kinds like a ominous feeling of oncoming sadness and tragedy between Kal and Claire or... hmm... it is hard to put my finger on at the moment.

Definitely the most interesting of the first eps I have seen so far, but I kinda feel it will be a rocky ride....
I get the opposite impression actually. Also one thing I'll add is the color palette doesn't seem to point to a tragedy laden story.
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 23:54   Link #47
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmagic View Post
I get the opposite impression actually. Also one thing I'll add is the color palette doesn't seem to point to a tragedy laden story.
Well, nothing else to say except we will have to wait and see, right?
Old 2014-01-06, 23:55   Link #48
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
What's this show's relationship to The princess and the pilot? I know they were written by the same author. Do they take place in the same world or are they completely unrelated?
Everything I've read seems to indicate they are, and I did spot some of common elements (though some of them won't be obvious to someone who has only seen The Princess and the Pilot and hasn't read the novel it was based on). That being said this series feels very different. I think its because it features a huge cast of high schoolers while The Princess and the Pilot focused on two characters who had obviously never set foot in a high school (seriously, can you imagine a typical anime high school even existing in a place like San Marthilia?)

I'm going to stick with this because I absolutely love The Princess and the Pilot but so far my feelings on it are rather mixed. Hopefully I'll find it better as it goes along.

On a related note, here's a link to the discussion thread for The Princess and the Pilot/To Aru Hikūshi e no Tsuioku in case any one's been watching it recently: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=92558

Last edited by Darthtabby; 2014-01-07 at 01:41.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 01:41   Link #49
Esclair

Is Kal-el a Newtype? He seems to get attached a girl awfully quickly, especially considering just a few moments ago he was contemplating about REVENGE via suicide attack.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 01:55   Link #50
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I thought I was watching a TV version of Glibli's "****** Moving Castle and The Princess and the Pilot. Nice concept of planes and flying island though not really an original. I'll keep it on watching it. Can't wait for the action which is, as seen in the OP, that is, will be worth watching.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 01:58   Link #51
Hiro Hayase

Reminds me of Last Exile, Princess and the Pilot, and Fractale so I will continue watching it. It might be the animation and style, but it feels nostalgic in a way. Btw isn't it kind of interesting how Aoi Yuki is voicing both Claire Cruz (MC's likely love interest) and Nina Viento (MC's likely source of hate). That's a strange coincidence if I ever saw one.

The ending theme gives some possible death flags, I hope I'm wrong though.... regardless would still watch anyway from start to finish. Since the light novel is 5 volumes long, I am assuming its going to be a 2 cour series with 26 episodes.

Last edited by Hiro Hayase; 2014-01-07 at 02:13. Reason: Spelling
Hiro Hayase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 02:08   Link #52
Darthtabby

Gave the first episode a second watch. While I'm still not blown away by it, I did find it better the second time around.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 02:12   Link #53
jzmagic
flargansbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Well, nothing else to say except we will have to wait and see, right?
I just rewatched the ED, and the very end does seem kind of ominous when it cuts to just Kal-El riding the bike alone. Prior to that Claire was sitting on the backseat for most of the ED. Hmm..
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 02:48   Link #54
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I couldn't concentrate much because of my giant headache so I might have missed something. Where do you get that Nina and Kal-el (lol) are childhood friends? Obviously, he knows her since he hates her guts, but I didn't get the impression they were ever friendly.
OP pretty much establishes them meeting as children. Knowing the trope, they'd probably make them friends first then have an event happen that makes Carl hate her guts, in order to maximize the dramatic effect.

Regardless, since when was being friendly when you were kids a requirement to being osananajimi? *cough*Kou*cough*Aoba*cough* Yeah, Japanese are weird sometimes...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 02:56   Link #55
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro Hayase View Post
Reminds me of Last Exile, Princess and the Pilot, and Fractale so I will continue watching it. It might be the animation and style, but it feels nostalgic in a way. Btw isn't it kind of interesting how Aoi Yuki is voicing both Claire Cruz (MC's likely love interest) and Nina Viento (MC's likely source of hate). That's a strange coincidence if I ever saw one.

The ending theme gives some possible death flags, I hope I'm wrong though.... regardless would still watch anyway from start to finish. Since the light novel is 5 volumes long, I am assuming its going to be a 2 cour series with 26 episodes.
It IS a Princess and the Pilot. The thing happens in the same place (same world to be correct), just with different characters and during another time (if I'm not mistaken)
Old 2014-01-07, 03:17   Link #56
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Just to remind everyone of the initial post in this thread's quote from ANN:

Quote:
The 2009-2011 five-volume light novel series is set in the same world as Inumura's To Aru Hikūshi e no Tsuioku (Recollection of a Certain Airship Pilot/The Princess and the Pilot) novel and anime film, although it is set earlier with a different cast of characters. The story of love and aerial combat follows a former prince who lost everything to a revolution, a girl who became the symbol for the revolution, and another girl on a journey of her own. The orphaned prince, now renamed Karueru, embarks on a one-way voyage to discover the ends of the heavens. Aboard the levitating island of Isura, he meets a girl named Claire.
Makes a lot of things not clear in the first ep a little clearer, eh? I can totally understand why Kal-el (or Karueru according to the quote above ) would be as angry and bitter as he was portrayed to have boiling inside him....
Old 2014-01-07, 04:18   Link #57
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Second half was very good, first a bit indifferent. But then I adore Aoi Yuuki to tiny little bits.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 07:25   Link #58
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

The CGI in that opening sequence was nice to look at. I expect the air battles to be good because of that. The character designs are also nice to look at. Clair's so moe...lol

The episode started off slow, but it really picked up when he encountered Clair. Also, that dude who keeps glaring at him, looks like he'll be a great rival or rival turned best friend. (Depends on which route the Ln took.)

The MC also had much contempt when he saw that white haired girl. Looks like they have a prior history, the OP also shows that. The synopsis would match up with this. I'll see soon enough.

The show looks like it'll center around character interactions & development rather than forward plot progression only. The romance also looks to be strong with this one. Looks like my romance craving will be satisfied with this series. I'll watch it once it doesn't begin to drag.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 07:47   Link #59
Eclipze

The part where his eyes goes red and attempted some mad dive towards the princess-figure was just really strange considering that they have not even faced any brutal fights yet, so I'll give it a pass as some form of baggage from his past.

Then came the part where I'm like...what?

So he attempted to converse with the silver/white hair dude with a really bumpy landing and gets ignored. Okay. Next he has his silly "fight" with the Ariel, sees that the silver/white hair dude was staring at him, and suddenly he feels insulted enough to run out to confront him?

What kind of characterization was that? The "angst" here doesn't make any sense...
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 09:31   Link #60
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No... It's Kal-el!

Well, it is in fact a plane, but you get the idea.

The naming can't possibly be coincidental here. Superman is too well-known on a global scale, and his birth name isn't exactly commonplace. It'll be interesting to see why they named their male lead after Superman (and also Dumbledore). I hope it's not just because he flies a plane.

Another bit of evidence that this name is intentionally tying into Superman is the name of his first potential love interest. Her name is alliterative - Claire Cruz. This is very reflective of how the love interests in Superman's life tend to have alliterative names (Lois Lane, Lana Lang, Lori Lemaris).

Personally, I loved this first episode, and not just because of the Superman shoutouts. I liked the family scenes involving Kal. The first one with his full family was touching, and all of his interactions with his sister came across well to me.

The fight scene at the very beginning of the episode was a treat to behold. I very much enjoyed watching that, and it gives the viewer a good taste of what will be to come later on in the narrative.

Finally, I already love the romance between Kal and Claire. There's a real sweetness and softness to it that I find vaguely enchanting. Granted, I do think they made her a bit overly shy and fearful at the very beginning, but I liked how she came across once she started to trust Kal.

Not sure how I feel about the likely coming rivalry (and friendship?) between Kal and this brooding, anti-social silver-haired guy. This sort of relationship dynamic is kind of overdone in anime, but maybe they can manage to put a good spin on it.

On the whole, very good first episode! I'm definitely looking forward to more.

Tags
adventure, drama, pilot, romance