AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-18, 15:29   Link #41
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Well it usually takes me 2 or 3 episodes to really warm up to any of the characters.
Even hime?
Old 2011-05-18, 16:12   Link #42
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Even hime?
And to quote Admiral Ackbar...

"ITS A TRAP!!"

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-05-18, 17:43   Link #43
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Her boobs would also be a lot bigger
Yeah, but Misa would be the one with the larger rack.

Quote:
On a second note, this is also the first time the Zentradi encountered with the so-called lost reactive technology. Most people have the misconception that these were thermal nuclear devices, but in fact, they actually weren't.
I thought they were but then thought it wouldn't make much sense, lol.

Radiological is much better for nukes.

Quote:
In fact, nuclear weapons were used only once in Macross Zero, and have proven to be rather ineffective against OverTechnology.
I don't remember that. We're doing a Zero re-watch after this one, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
The Stuff you May Have Missed:
Spoiler for Space:
Oh, ohhh... thanks for those. I always like those little easter eggs. And nice Yot-chan watch (didn't quote for space). The beginnings of a multi-millionaire... hahaha.

Quote:
I liked Roy off the bat in the first episode.
Yes, Roy is awesome. I was wondering how Hikaru heard him while he was in the plane... but I guess they just patched him through, haha.
Old 2011-05-19, 00:01   Link #44
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Even hime?
While I found hime...beautiful, he was a bit too snarky to my tastes.
Old 2011-05-19, 08:21   Link #45
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I didn't like Alto very much even through the middle of the series, myself. Roy, tho...

Old 2011-05-19, 08:58   Link #46
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Kawamori's Commentary

In the otherwise nearly-useless book "Best Hit Series: Macross Graffiti," Shoji Kawamori gives his commentary for every episode of of SDFM (the fact that it's HIM doing the commentary, rather than...say, Ishiguro, is one of the reasons I tend to think that Macross really was Kawamori's series from the get-go, and that he was the mastermind behind most of it).

Anyway, here's what he says about episode 1:

Spoiler for Minor spoilers for the series:
Old 2011-05-19, 11:56   Link #47
Tak

Quote:
Spoiler for Minor spoilers for the series:
Good one, and he is right, as the meeting went mostly unnoticed. The only thing I remember was Misa going:

GET YOUR ARSE TO AIR, NAO!!

Hikaru: Oh ok...

*flies to air*

WHAT DA FAAAAACCCKKK!!!???

And that was that. I doubt Hikaru at that moment had the time to think about Misa. He was way too confused.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-05-19 at 13:33.
Old 2011-05-20, 11:12   Link #48
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
The Stuff you May Have Missed:

Spoiler for Kawamori gawks at his own design:
Yes! Kawamori says "damn, I'm good!"

Quote:
Spoiler for The Rarely-Seen Ghost, which will become much more badass in Macross Plus:
Gee, I never noticed how similar that fighter IS to Guld's.

Quote:
Spoiler for Anime Friend? Gone.:

Spoiler for Artland? Gone.:

Spoiler for Studio Nue? Really gone.:
You gave me a GREAT laugh at this! I noticed the buildings before but never thought it was truly funny until I got more interested in the studio especially. There goes Studio Nue, ne?

Quote:
Spoiler for Some poor schmuck gets fried:
That poor bastard didn't get the memo that this was a mecha/action series and there would falling buildings.

Quote:
I liked Roy off the bat in the first episode.
Seconded!
Old 2011-05-20, 11:22   Link #49
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Gee, I never noticed how similar that fighter IS to Guld's.
Guld pilots the YF-21, later known as the VF-22 Sturmvogel. It has nothing to do with the unmanned GHOST series that appeared here or in the 4th episode of PLUS.

- Tak

Old 2011-05-20, 11:31   Link #50
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Guld pilots the YF-21, later known as the VF-22 Sturmvogel. It has nothing to do with the unmanned GHOST series that appeared here or in the 4th episode of PLUS.

- Tak
No, the color. But yes, I know what ya'll are talking about, the red beast from hell that Sharon uses to attack Isamu and Guld, yes.
Old 2011-05-20, 14:31   Link #51
Thess

I liked Roy since the beginning too and to this date, he's my favorite male character in Macross.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-05-20, 14:33   Link #52
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I liked Roy since the beginning too and to this date, he's my favorite male character in Macross.
My thoughts exactly.

I mean, besides Minmei's singing and Misa's strong-willed self, my favorite male character of ALL time is Roy!
Old 2011-05-20, 18:38   Link #53
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
According to this document

http://history.nasa.gov/conghand/nuclear.htm

"If a nuclear weapon is exploded in a vacuum-i. e., in space-the complexion of weapon effects changes drastically: First, in the absence of an atmosphere, blast disappears completely. Second, thermal radiation, as usually defined, also disappears. There is no longer any air for the blast wave to heat and much higher frequency radiation is emitted from the weapon itself."
There's no mention of an actual test being done, so I'm assuming that what you're quoting is someone's educated guess. Besides, if they're right then that eliminates a nuclear pulse engine.
Old 2011-05-20, 18:47   Link #54
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsenshi View Post
There's no mention of an actual test being done, so I'm assuming that what you're quoting is someone's educated guess. Besides, if they're right then that eliminates a nuclear pulse engine.
That is from an archive in NASA based on studies commenced by the U. S. Atomic Energy Commission. If you wish to doubt NASA and/or the Atomic Energy Commission, more power to you.

As for your second statement, nuclear reaction can still be used as a viable power source in space (requires no interaction with oxygen). It just won't be practical if weaponized.

- Tak

Old 2011-05-20, 19:10   Link #55
Darthtabby

The fact that a nuke wouldn't produce a shockwave in space due to the lack of atmosphere does make my question how effective any other sort of conventional or antimatter explosive device would be in space either. After all they wouldn't have a good way to transmit heat or a shockwave either would they? Or is my limited knowledge of physics letting me down here?
Old 2011-05-20, 19:57   Link #56
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
That is from an archive in NASA based on studies commenced by the U. S. Atomic Energy Commission. If you wish to doubt NASA and/or the Atomic Energy Commission, more power to you.
Again, until there's test results that back up these numbers....it's just a theory. If there's test results that back it up, I'd be interested in seeing them. ^_^
Old 2011-05-20, 21:30   Link #57
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsenshi View Post
Again, until there's test results that back up these numbers....it's just a theory. If there's test results that back it up, I'd be interested in seeing them. ^_^
Ah, but tests have been done since the Cold War. From 1958 to 1962, the US and Soviet Union conducted many tests in Earth's upper atmosphere and in space. The difference between an atmospheric detonation and high-altitude detonation is profound. Within the atmosphere, a nuclear detonation tend to release a mushroom cloud, but once a nuclear device is detonated in high-altitudes, the blast crosses hemispheres and stay within its confinement while creating a spherical cloud because the explosion is stopped dead in its tracks upon interacting with the vacuum of space.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2011-05-20 at 21:48.
Old 2011-05-21, 20:35   Link #58
BChoinski
Old Macross Coot

Ok, I'm in.

I was just going to lurk and read everyone else's comments, but thinking back on when I watched a subbed version of Yamato and got completely different vibes (and situations) about the characters and story then from the "Star Blazers" version ("It's not spring water! ) I suppose I should revisit it. The last time I saw this was, alas, a rewatching of robotech with my daughter, so I'm probably due for a cleansing anyways, but I beg leniency since I saw Robotech first before I saw plus, 7 and frontier.

Though granted, I did see "Booby Trap" on vhs back when HG was just doing Macross, complete with the original music (granted, with english vocals), and they at least were caller her Lisa Hayase...one wonders how it would have been had they just went with that instead of merging to form Robotech.

Grabbing torrents now so I can catch up. :P
Old 2011-05-21, 20:50   Link #59
sa547
*Author

Once you come to see the mother lode and the true essence after taking away the confusing dubbing and editing of the older versions, what follows is mind-blowing enlightenment.
Old 2011-05-21, 21:16   Link #60
BChoinski
Old Macross Coot

Rewatch

I'm sure I'll be seeing some interesting differences, though I rewatched Robotech/Macross saga about 6 years ago, at least. I'll be hard pressed to remember details, only seeing jarring differences where memory clashes with current.

(sorry, my bad).

Last edited by BChoinski; 2011-05-22 at 09:05. Reason: Remember: SDF Macross is LICENSED...
Closed Thread

Tags
action, romance