AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-02-10, 20:56   Link #41
lavalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
[slight pedantry]Well, there are a lot of free software licenses other than those two, they're just probably the most important. Some different definitions of "free software" too.[/slight pedantry]
Well, if it's DFSG compliant it's all good, I suppose.
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 21:07   Link #42

Send a message via AIM to Karma Send a message via MSN to Karma
I've got another dilemma (I'M SO SORRY!!), on one of my computers (HP Pavilion, 800 mghz, 40 gig hdd, 265 ram) there is no hard drive (I got it at an auction for cheap), and I've been trying to put an operation system on it (Linux), I've made a boot disk with CD-ROM support and have te disk in the tray, but I don't konw what to do now. The disk in the CD-ROM tray has 'College Linux' on it. I was just going to put it on to see how I liked it. I'm downloading 'Red Hat' now, and will put it on the computer if possible, please some help

Old 2004-02-10, 22:32   Link #43
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

You need a hard drive to run anything besides Knoppix.
Old 2004-02-11, 07:31   Link #44
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
You need a hard drive to run anything besides Knoppix.
Not really. He can setup a diskless workstation with something like this http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...orials/4472/1/
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 07:42   Link #45
ato
Oups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma
Also, where can I download (if needed) Linux GUI's? Do most Linux OS's come with a set of them?
I hope you don't mind me answering as well Indeed, most distributions (that's what the different flavours of Linux are called) include several window managers and desktop environments. It might be a little bit confusing, having so many choices from the beginning, but there is practically always a default environment - Usually KDE or Gnome. Both are quite good, so it's mainly a matter of taste which one you prefer.

Quote:
One more thing (sorry ) but where is a good place to download Linux applications, besides Wine, which I"m getting now.
Again, most distros have their own sites where you can get information on how to get (and sometimes fetch directly) their pre-compiled packages. Some distros (notably Gentoo and Slackware) does not come pre-compiled, but packaged for your convenience. To each, his own

For new releases of a lot of software from feshmeat, but usually only the most popular kinds of packages can be found there. Of course, for one not afraid of compiling him/herself, this is no problem

Last edited by ato; 2004-02-11 at 07:53.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 15:14   Link #46

Ashibaka-Sama, I meant that I do not know how to install a new OS (there is no OS on the computer at this point) to a computer without one. Is there someway I can get the installation to go by itself? Or some boot disk that will make the installation go automatically. I have a boot disk that boots with CD-ROM support, but I do not know how to get the installation to go....Sorry for the trouble.

Old 2004-02-11, 15:52   Link #47
lavalyn

Quote:
Ashibaka-Sama, I meant that I do not know how to install a new OS (there is no OS on the computer at this point) to a computer without one. Is there someway I can get the installation to go by itself? Or some boot disk that will make the installation go automatically. I have a boot disk that boots with CD-ROM support, but I do not know how to get the installation to go....Sorry for the trouble.

If you (by now) have cd-roms of RedHat or Mandrake, those disks are bootable. If they're not, there are utilities on the cds themselves that will provide for booting from floppy.

Automatically? As in boot disk, answer questions? Yes. Automated and unattended? Well, sorta... I don't know RedHat Kickstart all that well.
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 17:36   Link #48
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Ashibaka-Sama, I meant that I do not know how to install a new OS (there is no OS on the computer at this point) to a computer without one. Is there someway I can get the installation to go by itself?
Try just putting the CD-ROM in, without a boot disk. That will work on many computers, and I know it works with Red Hat CD-ROMs at least.
Old 2004-02-11, 18:43   Link #49
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Alrighty I want to get Linux with the FVWM window manager. Can someone give me links to the exact downloads for the iso's so I can burn it onto a cd. And plz inform my noobish butt of any steps i need to take to get this one my comp ^^;.

O.o''' My head is spinning from all the different file types..... I dont know what to get so many and they all look alike.....
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 18:48   Link #50
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
Alrighty I want to get Linux with the FVWM window manager. Can someone give me links to the exact downloads for the iso's so I can burn it onto a cd. And plz inform my noobish butt of any steps i need to take to get this one my comp ^^;.

O.o''' My head is spinning from all the different file types..... I dont know what to get so many and they all look alike.....
you can have FVWM on ANY linux distro...even BSD for that matter. Just choose some EASY linux distro and play with it...you have to try them all to see what u like (that's what I did).
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 18:49   Link #51
Shii
*Fansubber

Direct ISO download link:

http://linuxiso.org/

If you don't know which to get, choose Fedora or Mandrake (for easiness of installation) or Debian (better in the long run).
Old 2004-02-11, 19:09   Link #52
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

YAY thanks ^^. I'm getting Red Hat now (only 3 disks lol). Now after I install all these disk does how would i put the new windows manager in. I dl'ed FVWM earlier but it looks like a directory would i just polp that in somewhere or what?
Old 2004-02-11, 19:21   Link #53
linuxguru

Quote:
First go to this link and read the article. It's about a Windows user who decides to give Linux a try.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,113746,00.asp

Next go to http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
and read the article on choosing a Linux distribution. Check out the rest of the site while you're there.

Finally, get a book! Try "Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye!" by Marcel Gagne.

As the folks at SuSE Linux say: "Have a lot of fun!"
linuxguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 19:25   Link #54
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
YAY thanks ^^. I'm getting Red Hat now (only 3 disks lol). Now after I install all these disk does how would i put the new windows manager in. I dl'ed FVWM earlier but it looks like a directory would i just polp that in somewhere or what?
Red Hat should still come with FVWM if it's still a half-decent Linux distribution. When you first turn on your computer it will load up GNOME, which is pretty easy to use. You need to do some stuff to switch WMs:

1. Make a .xsession file that calls FVWM
2. Tell GDM-- the login screen-- you want to use your custom .xsession file rather than one of its options

If Red Hat does not come with FVWM, you need to:

1. Unzip the FVWM folder into your Linux partition
2. Run "./configure"
3. Run "make"
4. Become root
5. Run "make install"

and then it will be installed.
Old 2004-02-11, 22:07   Link #55

I tried to boot the computer up without a boot disk, just with the Red Hat disk, but it was to no avail.....I think I need to make a boot disk for it, but I can not locate where on the disk the files are. The Red Hat install disks are CD-RW's if that matters, though the drive I'm using is able to read them (it's a CD writer with CD-RW capabilities). Any advice?

Arigatou,
Old 2004-02-11, 22:25   Link #56
Shii
*Fansubber

I don't know how to use a boot disk to load a CD-ROM... search Google maybe :/

You can try to rearrange the boot devices in your computer's BIOS. For example, if they're arranged like this:

1. Floppy
2. HDD
3. CD-ROM

they need to be rearranged to:

1. Floppy
2. CD-ROM
3. HDD

You can usually edit your BIOS with F1 while the computer boots up.
Old 2004-02-11, 22:39   Link #57
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
yeah, you can rearrange your boot devices like Ashibaka suggested or sometimes these distributions also provide the necessary files to create a boot floppy which will run the installation cd-roms. Take a look around the website of your distribution.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 22:56   Link #58
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

eek3.... I just decompressed the file I got and A mess load of shit..... most of the stuff laying around are README texts in other laguages, but I have 4 folders that have .imgs in them.
There's - dosutils - images - isolinux - redhat -
dosutils has a bunch of other folders in it relating to something called fips *shrugs*
images has a couple of 1-2 MB .imgs and than a folder called pxeboot w/ another .img
isolinux has a bunch of MSG files w/ 1 .img file and a .bin file
redhat has 2 folders called base and RPMS

What I want to know is what am I suppose to burn to the disk?!?!! Do I take all the .img's and throw them on the same disk?!?!
Also this is instal disk Red Hat Linux 9 shrike from the link provided by ashibaka

EDIT!!!! eep3 i think im a dumbass...... Do I just take the winRAR file that I dl'ed and put in on the cd lol?.... oh god i need a drink......... *searches for b33r*

Thanks for your ub3r 1337 patients w/ my |\|oob!5h butt ^^;

Last edited by SiL Eighty; 2004-02-11 at 23:13. Reason: im dumb thats Y......
Old 2004-02-11, 23:14   Link #59
Shii
*Fansubber

You don't want to decompress it, you want to put it on a CD and reboot your computer. ISOs are CD images.
Old 2004-02-12, 09:57   Link #60
linuxguru

Quote:
I tried to boot the computer up without a boot disk, just with the Red Hat disk, but it was to no avail.....I think I need to make a boot disk for it, but I can not locate where on the disk the files are. The Red Hat install disks are CD-RW's if that matters, though the drive I'm using is able to read them (it's a CD writer with CD-RW capabilities). Any advice?

Arigatou,
To make a boot disk for Red Hat do the following:

You need a computer that has Windows installed. Copy the file rawrite.exe from the dosutils directory to a folder on the hard disk. Copy the file bootdisk.img from the images directory to the same folder as rawrite.exe.

Now open a command prompt and go to folder where you copied the files. Run rawrite and it will prompt you for an image name. Enter bootdisk.img and press Enter. When prompted for a drive enter A and press Enter. Make sure a formatted disk is in the drive and it will create a bootdisk for you.

To use it put the first CD and the floppy in their drives and reboot the system.
linuxguru is offline   Reply With Quote