Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-12-13, 23:30   Link #41
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
There is a Central America?
Usually "Central America" refers to all those little countries in between Mexico and Columbia.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 05:06   Link #42
Iron Maw
Banned

Oh I know that, it just a jest poking fun at how people rarely ever remember (or mention) that part of the Americas. For anyone who took me seriously, I apologize and meant no offense.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 11:09   Link #43
Jun pls

Why is everyone complaining about Slay's design, you want protags that look like Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh! or something? (not that I disliked Yugis design, it fit the series)
I rather have normal-looking people than over-the-top-hair styles like Milla from ToX. But of course, that is personal preference and all.
Can't wait to see other characters and get more information in general
Jun pls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 13:17   Link #44
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

When I'm looking into a game- especially like this one- I don't want normal. Though I don't consider Milla in general over-the-top at all. Slay is just plain.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 13:26   Link #45
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun pls View Post
Why is everyone complaining about Slay's design, you want protags that look like Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh! or something? (not that I disliked Yugis design, it fit the series)
I rather have normal-looking people than over-the-top-hair styles like Milla from ToX. But of course, that is personal preference and all.
Can't wait to see other characters and get more information in general
I uh... don't think it's his hair that most people have an issue with.

Personally, for me, it's his derpy outfit. Hence why I'll desperately need an alternate outfit to use him.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 14:41   Link #46
Shadow5YA

Slay looks more like some priest or mage than a melee fighter.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 19:17   Link #47
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
When I'm looking into a game- especially like this one- I don't want normal. Though I don't consider Milla in general over-the-top at all. Slay is just plain.
That and he looks like a male Colette. Besides they have made pretty normal looking character while still having him stand out before: Yuri.

Slay doesn't much of an excuse.
Old 2013-12-14, 22:29   Link #48
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
That and he looks like a male Colette. Besides they have made pretty normal looking character while still having him stand out before: Yuri.

Slay doesn't much of an excuse.
Yeah. Yuri still remains one of there best designs. Both appearance & character-wise.
Old 2013-12-17, 09:30   Link #49
Kirayuki

Images
Magazine Scan
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-17, 09:50   Link #50
GDB

Slay looks better there than in the game. I think it's the puffiness of his shawl that makes him look derpy in-game, since it's rather close to the body in that image and looks fine.
Old 2013-12-17, 10:24   Link #51
Jun pls

I actually like his design, he's pretty cute. But if you all don't like him, I take him home anytime with no need to share him then

The only thing i'm sad with is that he's a sword fighter again. Nothing against sword fighters (since I tend to play with them the best and suck at all the others especially mages ) but I would've liked the MC to be something else (a mage for example, I love mages ).

But I guess that has something to do with that everyone has to be able to use the MC in the beginning and anything else will be too difficult??
Old 2013-12-17, 11:07   Link #52
GDB

Pretty much. Mages have a higher learning curve, plus usually suck regardless until at least the middle of the story due to spell/mana/skill limitations.

Further, the "Sword" is the archetypical weapon of choice for the hero in most stories.
Old 2013-12-17, 13:05   Link #53
Jun pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Pretty much. Mages have a higher learning curve, plus usually suck regardless until at least the middle of the story due to spell/mana/skill limitations.

Further, the "Sword" is the archetypical weapon of choice for the hero in most stories.
Ah yeah, that is true. In Tales of the World I chose magic as my weapon and man never again (though it was pretty fun)
Old 2013-12-17, 13:20   Link #54
Shadow5YA

Namco simply cannot make a combo friendly mage thanks to the casting mechanic making it impossible to chain spell artes together.

The only mages who can chain artes well are ones who can either circumvent the casting animation completely (Rita in overlimit) or have physical artes that don't really count as spells (Cheria, Malik, Pascal). Even then, those characters are good not because they're mages, but because they have a way to cheat out of the limitations mages normally have.

Namco needs to find some way to change how magic works.
Old 2013-12-17, 22:00   Link #55
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun pls View Post
I actually like his design, he's pretty cute. But if you all don't like him, I take him home anytime with no need to share him then

The only thing i'm sad with is that he's a sword fighter again. Nothing against sword fighters (since I tend to play with them the best and suck at all the others especially mages ) but I would've liked the MC to be something else (a mage for example, I love mages ).

But I guess that has something to do with that everyone has to be able to use the MC in the beginning and anything else will be too difficult??
He doesn't even need to be mage to differentiate him. He could fight using dual daggers, battle staffs, spears, guns, bows, claws or any hundreds of assorted weapon types and styles. Namco just isn't very creative company when it comes to things like this.
Old 2013-12-17, 22:15   Link #56
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Eh? We already have dual sword heroes before, and fist user. Of course, even if it's another sword user, the new protagonist can have different moveset from the previous heroes like Asbel(battoujutsu) or like Milla(hybrid sword/mage). Just because it's a sword user doesn't mean it has to play the same(except having majinken of course ).

Still, I won't deny gaving an axe/spear wielding protagonist could be fun. A bow/other long range weapon might be harder because they'll have to give a tank companion in the early level.
Old 2013-12-18, 01:09   Link #57
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Eh? We already have dual sword heroes before, and fist user. Of course, even if it's another sword user, the new protagonist can have different moveset from the previous heroes like Asbel(battoujutsu) or like Milla(hybrid sword/mage). Just because it's a sword user doesn't mean it has to play the same(except having majinken of course ).
The first one although nice is still a sword and fist users are certainly a step in the right direction but that doesn't mean we can't have more variety.

Quote:
Still, I won't deny gaving an axe/spear wielding protagonist could be fun. A bow/other long range weapon might be harder because they'll have to give a tank companion in the early level.
Not necessarily. If you play Dragon's Crown you can see a example of an awesome long-ranged fighter who isn't useless in close range combat. There is no reason Namco can't replicate that.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2013-12-18 at 02:00.
Old 2013-12-18, 09:01   Link #58
GDB

Well, based on the videos, I'd say Slay uses daggers moreso than Swords. Or, at most, short swords. The blade he was using didn't even look as long as the length from his wrist to elbow.

Quote:
There is no reason Namco can't replicate that.
But again, they want the hero to use a sword. Because heroes use swords. Which is why Milla is the true hero of Xillia rather than Jude.

However, there's no reason they couldn't do like Ludger and give the hero multiple weapons to choose from if they so desired.
Old 2013-12-18, 14:09   Link #59
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

His hair colour is noticeably different from in-game lol. At least, from stream quality.
Old 2013-12-18, 15:06   Link #60
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
But again, they want the hero to use a sword. Because heroes use swords.
Senel Coolidge?