AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-07-05, 20:30   Link #41
Kazu-kun

I see some people bitching about Iris, but I did like her myself, even if she's kinda the typical stoic girl. Nagisa was interesting but I don't like his character type.

I wonder who is the protagonist. Kaito (the teacher) is billed first, but it's clear as day Iris and Nagisa are more important. Nagisa for being the mysterious transfer student related to the powerful corporation and Iris for being the ace character who gets the shit done (sort of like Inaho, only female). But of the two, I'm not sure which one will be more relevant once the plot gets rolling. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

EDIT: I just read a tweet from the writer apologizing for lying about the show being a rom-com.

So it's not a rom-com after all. I don't know if it will have any romance at all, but it seems the focus is on conspiracies and internal politics, that sort of thing.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2015-07-06 at 02:20.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 21:20   Link #42
IceHism

Out of the many writers I know, Maruto is the least that i would expect to troll viewers since his works are often straightforward but sincere. That is surprising.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 21:22   Link #43
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Why does this anime sort of reminded me of Valvrave? Following this...
Old 2015-07-05, 21:25   Link #44
Psyco Diver

First episode looked good, should be interesting to watch
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 21:40   Link #45
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well dont know about this that girl who know how to fly and ride seem to be cool but the jerk seem to be putting this off
Old 2015-07-05, 23:48   Link #46
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
Why does this anime sort of reminded me of Valvrave? Following this...
Space, colonies with their own spheres.......yea, definitely Valvrave.

Protagonist has a bad attitude, hope that changes. At least the VA is good.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 23:57   Link #47
Alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I wonder who is the protagonist. Kaito (the teacher) is billed first, but it's clear as day Iris and Nagisa are more important. Nagisa for being the mysterious transfer student related to the powerful corporation and Iris for being the ace character who gets the shit done (sort of like Inaho, only female). But of the two, I'm not sure which one will be more relevant once the plot gets rolling. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.
I guess Kaito will be the first POV because he is long winded like Haruki@WA2 and Tomoya@Saekano. But the event might be centered around Nagisa because he represent the corporate side, and his attitude of placing corporate interest above his own safety seems to be related to the story concept. The interaction between these two might be interesting to watch.
Quote:
EDIT: I just read a twitter from the writer apologizing for lying about the show being a rom-com.

So it's not a rom-com after all. I don't know if it will have any romance at all, but it seems the focus is on conspiracies and internal politics, that sort of thing.
Although it's said to be like that, I think there will be a layer of comedy or even on top of the corporate politics layer to make things more light toned and entertaining, given how the characters are being designed.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 00:05   Link #48
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
....EDIT: I just read a twitter from the writer apologizing for lying about the show being a rom-com.

Well, that rearranges my parameters of expectation and shovels some of my interest out the window too.
Old 2015-07-06, 00:28   Link #49
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Honestly, I hate it when production staff bank too much on bait and switch concepts.
It's like they're sure that their work won't generate that much buzz unless they try to sensationalize the concept.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 01:02   Link #50
Kazu-kun

That kind of tricks seems to have gotten popular recently. I don't like it either.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2015-07-06 at 02:18.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 01:41   Link #51
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

I don't get why do that, I mean, if your show is about conspiracies and all that(?), why try to mask it as anything other than that?, specially as a rom-com, wich atracts a totally different audience who probably won't dig being decieved, and won't dig the concept of the thing they were tricked into watching ....
Old 2015-07-06, 13:01   Link #52
Tranhieu

Maruto what have you done?!

It was a pleasant surprise and I kinda like ep1, though I can see how this show's gonna bomb in terms of sales.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 15:51   Link #53
Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salva View Post
I really don't like those Rei types. Why are they so popular
The idea of an emotionless robot of a girl is very appealing to some people. It implies submissiveness.
Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 15:58   Link #54
Tenzen12

...which is not exactly what got this time
Old 2015-07-06, 17:08   Link #55
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
The idea of an emotionless robot of a girl is very appealing to some people. It implies submissiveness.
I don't think blatantly disobeying orders and going off your own is very submissive
Old 2015-07-06, 19:33   Link #56
Alf

It's more like lack of expression gives a mysterous image.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 21:46   Link #57
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Episode 1

Basic characters, interesting premise, solid storytelling, knows how to build its setting (except for that odd 'introduction' at the end), easy on the eyes, and...is that a jazzy soundtrack I hear?

This show is just stupid enough to work.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 23:43   Link #58
IceHism

I don't really see anything wrong with bait and switch itself. It's just badly executed here. At least pick a audience that would like to be deceived in the first place. I don't think rom-com SoL people like that.

Also, the synopsis. In other bait and switch shows, the synopsis isn't as different as the content of the show compared to this (that is if this show really is about conspiracies?)
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-07, 01:46   Link #59
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Reading all the reactions in this thread, it seems I’m one of few who’s actually having a blast watching every minute of this episode . It’s has nice pace, good enough characters (so far), intentionally stupid and just roll with it with confidence. It also helps that I don’t expect any genre from this series, so I’m fine with whatever direction it will go. Wait, so Maruto wrote this? LOL That’s a nice surprise if true. I always find his works to be very entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
I don’t know about you, but I know a number of people who actually like Rei-clones due to their mysterious aura and that they are a challenge to get (even more challenging than tsunderes according to them). It’s not about being submissive. Also, Iris here is everything but submissive as she never did what she was told and just do things her way .
Old 2015-07-07, 21:00   Link #60
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I liked the first episode. It's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun and I love its overall sense of style.

I dislike "bait and switch" as a general concept, but this is one case where I prefer "the switch" to the "bait", so in this particular case, it makes for a very pleasant surprise for me.

Frankly, anime romcoms are extremely commonplace, arguably a dime a dozen. A sci-fi show with good corporate/political intrigue - That I find is a much rarer treat, and I'm glad to see the potential for it here. It's for that very reason, in fact, that I find it a bit disappointing that they felt it necessary to do a "bait and switch" at all. I guess if the point was to pleasantly surprise some people, then that's fine. But while some like myself will be pleasantly surprised, others will be disappointed, and you also run the risk of failing to grab the attention of fans of your show's actual genre(s). This show may have escaped my attention entirely if not for Akuma Kinomoto's recommendation, and there's no way I'd want to miss a sleek-looking sci-fi show with good corporate/political intrigue.

The characters and settings look really good, the spaceships look great, and the whole thing just does an excellent job of being eye-catching.

I understand that some people don't like Rei Ayanami expies, and that's not my favorite anime character type, but honestly, it's been awhile since I recall seeing one. Maybe it's time for another "Rei Ayanami" to take the stage in modern anime.

So far, I really like Iris. She's cool and mysterious. Like Obelisk wrote, that's much the appeal to this character type - They don't read as easily as most other anime character types do, so it can be interesting to speculate about these characters and what makes them tick. Usually there is something (or someone) that they care a lot about, and it's here where their mostly hidden personality shines through well.

Iris did crack a smile at one point, and she does seem to care about her friend, so she's not entirely unemotional. There's already some hint of what she might care a lot about, and seeing that play out could make for an excellent story.

The transfer student... Well, I'm not the biggest fan of this type of character, but he could make a good foil for the teacher. There seems to be a sort of over-the-top idealism vs. ice-cold rationalism at play here, and it has some potential anyway. How well this philosophical conflict is handled might go a long way's to determining how good (or not) this show is as a whole.

For now, I'm on-board. It was probably the most intense and suspenseful first episode I've watched so far, this Summer 2015 anime season. I just hope it can keep that intensity up.