Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-22, 12:31   Link #41
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
The episode scripts and everywhere else of official material have been fairly inconsistent with one another... so really, we're not sure.
That depends... are you going by what sage has to say or are you watching the Gundam.info Youtube channel (which is what I'm interested in). I've translated everything related to Age thus far (I'm not sure anyone else has really cared enough to), so I have to go on my own spellings until something comes out. I try not to rely on sage as they edit things and spit out something different, so I can't tell if they tamper with names...
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 12:46   Link #42
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I'm sensing that there's going to be trouble in Flit and Emily's marriage in generation 2. Considering that there was literally no development, not even last-second, between the two, and even more importantly the staff made it clear that Flit is completely fixated on Yurin and her death, literally all the way to the last second of the episode. FlitxEmily may turn out to be a loveless (or one-sided, at least) marriage after all, as some have predicted on other forums on the 'net.

Of course, that would be a nice way to keep Flit and Emily on the stage in generation 2; Flit being still being haunted by Yurin's death and getting over it as generation 2 progresses, finally realizing he loves Emily, etc.

Though this would all likely mean we're getting some more traditional Gundam-protagonist-with-father-issues in generation 2 as well.
Old 2012-01-22, 14:02   Link #43
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
That depends... are you going by what sage has to say or are you watching the Gundam.info Youtube channel (which is what I'm interested in). I've translated everything related to Age thus far (I'm not sure anyone else has really cared enough to), so I have to go on my own spellings until something comes out. I try not to rely on sage as they edit things and spit out something different, so I can't tell if they tamper with names...
The official Youtube subs are as inconsistent as he says... For example, Yark Dole was spelled Yack Dole in this ep, but had the former spelling in previous ones.
Old 2012-01-22, 14:35   Link #44
LystAP

Spoiler for UE bridge fillers:
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 15:03   Link #45
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
Spoiler for .:
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 16:43   Link #46
Slick_rick

A pretty good end to the first arc of the story. I was pleasantly surprised by this first season while nothing mind blowing it was solid throughout for me. I think the most interesting thing for me going into the next arc will be what kind of person Flit turns out to be in the future.

They can really go many different directions with Flit's character and I don't know which one I'd prefer. It could be just as interesting if he turns out to be a bit of an asshole in the future or if he is more benevolent and moved on because of these events. I think the former is more likely but they could find some middle ground too. I can't wait for next week, it should shed a lot of light on the direction the show is going in. Flit's almost certainly going to play an important role in both the direction of the show and the direction of his son's character.
Old 2012-01-22, 17:58   Link #47
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
They didn't seem concerned there was a group of armed soldiers on their bridge and that their commander was shot.....

Other than that I don't think this is the end of Grodeck.

Since the Federation took the credit for wiping out the UE they're gonna get a lot of heat when the UE comes back in greater force and will be expected to do what they "supposingly" did.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 18:30   Link #48
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Mars' mineral resources are more abundant than what the Space Colonies have to offer. They use it to construct the Gafrans and similar MS which was why they gave the Earth Feds so much trouble until AGE gundam arrived.

And this pretty much seals Flit's fate, a bitter man in the second era, training his son to become his hand of vegence
well my point is that they have trouble even surviving in that environment

Everything from air to water and correct gravity must be created. Having more minerals mean little if you do not have the technology, and you're too busy dying from the environment and unknown diseases to develop such technology

Remember that they FAILED to colonize Mars. How did they suddenly succeed after being abandoned? It doesn't make sense

I find it hard to believe that they managed to do that all on their own, much less create advanced mobile weapons

There must be some unknown factor.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 19:43   Link #49
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Well Flit definitely lost it this ep. Luckily his true X-rounder abilities helped him out. I doubt he would've shot Dole, but glad Grodek shot first. Obviously Yurin's death will haunt Flit a long time. Too bad there's a time skip, would have liked to get some Emily development even at the end there was a chance, but oh well.

So the enemy are indeed humans. Wonder who the big boss is from his name. So Dole's son will want revenge as well as Desil. Sucks what happened to Grodek, but even worst is that the Federation took credit for it. At least they know where the enemy is now though.
Old 2012-01-22, 19:57   Link #50
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

The real ennemy is not the UE but the federation.

Great episode for a really good first season overall. I really enjoyed this first part of Gundam Age and I can't wait for the next part.

It deserves a good 8/10.
Old 2012-01-22, 19:59   Link #51
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

So...Geera Zoi really is Yark Dole? Good episode, excellent conclusion to the first generation, I really enjoyed the revelation of what the UE truly are, felt kinda bad for them actually. The colony they have above Mars looks pretty damn cool. Shame the Defarse didn't really do much instead of get destroyed, but eh there was a good chance that was gonna happen anyway. Sucked to see Grodek to go jail and loose credit for his mission, typcial Federation treatment of their soldiers. I'm pretty excited for the next generation, can't wait to see Emily and Flit all grown up.

9/10
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 20:44   Link #52
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
This won't really be fixed even if the second arc focuses on the rift in Flit's family because the family is never effectively established on screen and is just a: "It happened when you weren't looking." Not a very fulfilling development or method of writing.
Which is a bit surprising since that kind of thing felt like it was supposed to be part of the foundation for the whole generational thing this particular installment is built around.

Thoughts on the Gen-2 cast that started in the ep 14 discussion:
Spoiler:
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 20:50   Link #53
erapath

I feel like next main protagonist will look like emo kid.

I hope Asem will not say
Spoiler:
erapath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 21:17   Link #54
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Just finished episode 15 and I have to say the first arc exceeded my expectations. Granted, my expectations weren't that high to begin with... I really don't like the lack of romantic development between Flit and Emily. Are they just going to say it happened during the time skip? A convenient explanation like that just detracts from the plot IMO. If they're going to end up marrying and then consummating the marriage, I would expect to the see how that happens, not have the narrator tell me that it did during a time skip I agree Flit's going to be an angsty father, but hopefully we'll see some kind of mental projection or something of Yurin when he finally lets it go?

Looking forward to the 2nd generation and the advances in technology! Hopefully we'll get some cool looking MSs besides the gundam, a more aesthetically appealing ship Desil and Yark Dole's kid should be at least 10 years older than Asem though, right? I wonder if we'll be able to tell the difference.

Also, if Grodek revealed who the UE were, wouldn't there be massive outcry against the Federation? And what was Woolf holding when he was standing in the bow of the ship? Was that something the dying Veigan gave him? And who is Sir Ezelcant? Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't seen him on screen yet?
Old 2012-01-22, 21:27   Link #55
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Note: I was writing my commentary while I was watching. I got a bit riled up and kept pausing to comment when things enraged me in particular, so this might sound a bit upset ^^'
On the plus side I actually cared about this episode This is mostly stuff I noted that made me go "WHAAAAT", which I think will be addressed later on. Only some are criticism for the writing.

fun:
- Yark Dole looks like a penguin. That makes me so unspeakably happy.
- The UE are actually called Ve(i)gans. Someone in Level 5 has a problem with non-meat eaters...

real stuff:
- Flit's moral BS- I basically wanted to throw up every time he said something. It's okay for him to shoot and kill UE, it's even ok for him to attack a helpless man with a Gundam. But the UE is not human because they fight for their cause. Sure...
- Grodek and Flit being revenge-driven fools who neither care nor acknowledge their enemy just because of their personal little drama: "20% of you people died, and you basically got screwed over royally? WHO CARES, you killed 3 people we cared about- your victims don't matter, and we don't really care about anyone else either."
And what he told the little boy. Again, if they were as righteous as they claimed, Grodek would've offered the boy to kill him to make up for his sins or something. Not antagonized him.

We're also all really happy that Flit&Co managed to commit a senseless mass murder. It's so cool after all.
I hope we're not supposed to sympathize with them?!
The best part was where Grodek complains that the UE's plans were "just revenge"- FUNNY, coming from the guy who just shot a man who gave him perfectly legitimate reasons for his actions and didn't even bother to acknowledge his humanity- or his poor son who did nothing wrong. I seriously can't believe he said that thing to the kid. What hypocritical idiot- and no, Millais, the man is no hero, or was that a rhetorical question?

- Setting Flit up to be some bitter crazy who doesn't care about his wife- as we got zero development for what is a pivotal plot point. Because of some girl he hung out with for a few days when he was 12. Laughable, this is bad writing at its finest. I could understand Yurin as a symbol for the innocent getting involved, or "someone he briefly cared about and who unfortunately died which was sad and gave him a hard time for a while, but the whole thing is in the past now, as these things happen in war, (and it's not as if they were going to get married- they were 12)"- you know... as would happen in real life, or in a well-written script. Instead he wants to become a righteous hero- well that ship has sailed.

I'm glad some depth was added to the plot, which I appreciate- revelation that the Federation and government are the real enemy.
Unfortunately, the scene after the credits ruined that impression, presenting the UE as evil again. So we're supposed to think everyone is evil except Flit, the supposedly righteous? I lol'ed.

As for Grodek, I'm glad he gets to rot in prison and didn't die. I hope he lives up to a ripe old, miserable age in there.
Hopefully something similarly gruesome awaits Flit... <_<

Overall:
this episode: 7/10 because it managed to rile me up. If the moral nonsense was intentional and will have consequences, Code Geass style, I'd give a higher score, but I'm not sure about that for now-especially since really no one faced justice except Grodek.

for the first gen: 6/10 for poor writing and execution. Sorry.

Okay, now I'm hoping things will get serious for Gen 2. Asem seems like a much better lead alr.eady and to be fair I have a suspicion that maybe, just maybe they were setting Gen 1 up to leave this negative aftertaste. That's what I hope anyways
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 21:35   Link #56
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Now Emily would always be Flit's second best...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 22:29   Link #57
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Note: I was writing my commentary while I was watching. I got a bit riled up and kept pausing to comment when things enraged me in particular, so this might sound a bit upset ^^'
On the plus side I actually cared about this episode This is mostly stuff I noted that made me go "WHAAAAT", which I think will be addressed later on. Only some are criticism for the writing.

fun:
- Yark Dole looks like a penguin. That makes me so unspeakably happy.
- The UE are actually called Ve(i)gans. Someone in Level 5 has a problem with non-meat eaters...

real stuff:
- Flit's moral BS- I basically wanted to throw up every time he said something. It's okay for him to shoot and kill UE, it's even ok for him to attack a helpless man with a Gundam. But the UE is not human because they fight for their cause. Sure...
- Grodek and Flit being revenge-driven fools who neither care nor acknowledge their enemy just because of their personal little drama: "20% of you people died, and you basically got screwed over royally? WHO CARES, you killed 3 people we cared about- your victims don't matter, and we don't really care about anyone else either."
And what he told the little boy. Again, if they were as righteous as they claimed, Grodek would've offered the boy to kill him to make up for his sins or something. Not antagonized him.

We're also all really happy that Flit&Co managed to commit a senseless mass murder. It's so cool after all.
The best part was where Grodek complains that the UE's plans were "just revenge"- FUNNY, coming from the guy who just shot a man who gave him perfectly legitimate reasons for his actions and didn't even bother to acknowledge his humanity- or his poor son who did nothing wrong. I seriously can't believe he said that thing to the kid. What hypocritical idiot- and no, Millais, the man is no hero, or was that a rhetorical question?

- Setting Flit up to be some bitter crazy who doesn't care about his wife- as we got zero development for what is a pivotal plot point. Because of some girl he hung out with for a few days when he was 12. Laughable, this is bad writing at its finest. I could understand Yurin as a symbol for the innocent getting involved, or "someone he briefly cared about and who unfortunately died which was sad and gave him a hard time for a while, but the whole thing is in the past now, as these things happen in war, (and it's not as if they were going to get married- they were 12)"- you know... as would happen in real life, or in a well-written script. Instead he wants to become a righteous hero- well that ship has sailed.

I'm glad some depth was added to the plot, which I appreciate- revelation that the Federation and government are the real enemy.
Unfortunately, the scene after the credits ruined that impression, presenting the UE as evil again. So we're supposed to think everyone is evil except Flit, the supposedly righteous? I lol'ed.

As for Grodek, I'm glad he gets to rot in prison and didn't die. I hope he lives up to a ripe old, miserable age in there.
Hopefully something similarly gruesome awaits Flit... <_<

Overall:
this episode: 7/10 because it managed to rile me up. If the moral nonsense was intentional and will have consequences, Code Geass style, I'd give a higher score, but I'm not sure about that for now-especially since really no one faced justice except Grodek.

Okay, now I'm hoping things will get serious for Gen 2. Asem seems like a much better lead alr.eady and to be fair I have a suspicion that maybe, just maybe they were setting Gen 1 up to leave this negative aftertaste. That's what I hope anyways
The UE didn't just kill Flit's mother and Grodek's wife and daughter. They killed an entire colony worth of people. The colony as Grodek points out didn't even have Federation forces stationed on it.

There's nothing wrong with Flit's view of the UE not being humans. They have indiscriminately murdered civilians, and just because they have a "cause" doesn't justify it. The Federation doesn't have an overwhelming advantage where you can say ok, these guys resort to terrorism because they have no other option. In this case the UE have or rather had an overwhelming advantage in terms of technology where they could've easily gone after the Federation forces, but instead they deliberately went after civilians. You can't deny that the UE didn't show a blatant disregard for human life in their actions...
Old 2012-01-22, 22:41   Link #58
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

More than an episode to reveal the identity of the UE, it also explains the rationale for the UE's unilateral, inhumane attacks on civilians and unprotected colonies. You see, the UE are a bunch of castaway humans, brainwashed under the domineering influence of that "Sir" guy, so can we really attribute the whole UE for the atrocities that they have committed, or to their sovereign who basically maneuvers them from Mars? For their blatant disregard for life, and their supposed superiority in technology, would this be of any concern when your enemy basically caused the death of your parents and those you hold dearest to your heart?

I forsee the "Sir" guy as rather like Gihren Zabi, preaching the "survival of the fittest", galvanising his followers in the belief that as "humans who survived the harshness of Mars", they are both physically and psychologically superior to their Earth counterparts, and as a result have prepared and is in the process of orchestrating a plan to retake Earth. This is probably why the main battle is situated on Earth in the second arc, as the plan progresses. Even if the UE eventually loses, the Federation would have been fatally discredited for their inability to protect the people.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 22:42   Link #59
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
There's a HUGE difference between what the Veigan did and what the Diva crew is doing. The Veigan attacked and destroyed colonies full of millions of innocent civilians who were practically defenseless. The Diva crew went and destroy the base that was housing these terrorists. There's no way to even compare the two actions, and yes, the Diva crew should be considered heroes no matter how you look at it.

Quote:
He shot and killed a mass murderer who directly caused the death of his family. That type of revenge is different from the Veigan killing thousands/millions of innocents who have nothing to do with the situation that the Veigan are in.
Old 2012-01-22, 22:49   Link #60
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
real stuff:
Well for starters.

As a child he had to stand by and watch his mother get immolated and his entire colony wiped out.

I mean that's pretty traumatizing to any child.

Then he finds his first true love and once again stand by and watch her forced to fight and die and not just as a person but as someone else's "plaything"

I mean come on give Flit a break. To any person that ranks into the acts of the devil. They destroyed his home, murdered his mother, and killed his first love and you say it's crap that he does not consider them human?

Quote:
I will admit that was weird though.

Especially the part where he let Decil float away after nearly killing him.

Quote:
Which doesn't make any sense. It's as Grodeck stated, they have an angst against the Federation but they've been focusing almost all of their resources at the colonies and not actual Federation bases.

However perhaps it's because they want the Federation to fall apart from within by instigating rebellions and insurrections rather than do it upfront.

Quote:

Oh crap are we going to go into the whole, "oh fighting will not solve anything! Sure they wiped out your family but killing them now will just continue the cycle of hatred!"

I really hate that crap.

Quote:
He shot and killed a mass murderer who directly caused the death of his family. That type of revenge is different from the Veigan killing thousands/millions of innocents that have nothing to do with the situation that the Veigan are in.
I think it was because they were jealous that the Earth Sphere had an easy life compared to what they had.

That's still no excuse though. That's like trying to justify Gundam 00's Nena who opened fire on a wedding party simply because they were having fun and she had to go out and fight.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion