AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-11-22, 13:29   Link #41
NenMaster

id like to see groups seed there bt releases without no 10/20 mbit hacked machines.

if a company doesnt want there shit fansubed they can go after groups if they really want to stop all of it. it will scare some groups to stop etc, but then it will become underground and ALL the fans will use the bots even though they are hacked.
its like WHEN naruto gets lisenced, all the people who are against distrobution of lisenced anime will still download naruto. i dont see them waiting x months/year for the dvds, they cant even wait a week

and the people who consider fansubs legal are stupid
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 16:20   Link #42
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerox20
I gurantee you have downloaded from a hacked XDCC bot, its a means by which distribute files and its getting very bad. There are a lot worse situations then anime channels rooting bots.
There are some of us who try and avoid the hacked bots and use the "legit" bots. The problem is sometimes the distinction is hard to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by q8p
I wonder how many people would soil their drawers if I went through popular anime channels and reported edu xdcc bots (discovered by successfully starting a transfer and grabbing the reverse dns of the IPs by connection rather than user) to abuse@*.edu =P
Uh, in some cases, yes, you would be right the box is hacked. However, in some cases, you would be reporting a student who knowingly put iroffer on. Therefore not the greatest idea. There are some really obvious signs of hacked bots (all bots having the same nick/ident). And then there are groups that distro a client and dont tell you how to configure it...like a certain group did back in the old days.
Just "unzip and run".
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 19:09   Link #43
Zerox20
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Zerox20
Its just one of those things, yes its wrong, but I never make my bots do BT seeding, thats way to much bandwidth and I know if I was a college net admin I would be mad at th ebill next month. Thats not the point, yes its wrong, but most people rely on bots, if you want to report them, its fine with me, its not very hard to get an IP from anyone lol even if they BNC it. netstat etc.
Zerox20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 19:50   Link #44
Digital-Kitty
Evil Supreme Kitty

Quote:
There are a lot worse situations then anime channels rooting bots.
Ahh, your right. Silly me. That does seem to make rooting for anime distro A-OK now that I think about it...

Quote:
Its one of those things people complain, but if there were no XDCC bots, people would whine about BT being too slow all the time. IF there was no BT, people would whine about the slow Fservers and waiting in ques.
Ohhh god! That must be devastating listening to all those poor leechers whine like that. You really cant help but to feel sorry for them. Heck, why dont we just go steal some R2 DVDs to fansub and better encoding equipment to further improve the fansubs also?
Digital-Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 21:34   Link #45
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

I can see this going to way of the Anime Junkies vs the world topics

"Fansubbing is illegal"

"But fansubbing is good!"

"but it's illegal!'

"but its good!"

Eventually, mods come and the topic gets closed down.

Just a warning (not trying to hijack the thread), do not post until you've read everything (this wont happen until the thread gets to about 5-6 pages). It's good to hear your opinion and you have every right to express it, but when someone has said something you already have said, then its probably best to just observe their said argument and shoot from there.

Anyway, have fun
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 22:48   Link #46
q8p
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
...Uh, in some cases, yes, you would be right the box is hacked. However, in some cases, you would be reporting a student who knowingly put iroffer on. Therefore not the greatest idea...
Heh, all is not lost in the event of a mistake. Every uni of the three I've been to has had some sort of policy that would normally forbid one from using such an inane amount of band. Surely they'd still be interested.
q8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 23:25   Link #47
Anax
Animefactory Encoder

Actually, for the record, complich8, I don't like rooting because I know how it hurts people--I've worked as a sysadmin in the past. The "you could get caught" argument was meant to appeal to the folk who don't care.

The ethical fansubbing POV (I haven't read your big rant yet) is, I believe, really aimed at "So long as it doesn't hurt anybody enough for them to care." If either US or Japanese companies came out and said "We object to the entire practice of fansubbing", I would stop.

I think it's really a matter of having respect for the people who make a living at it. While we're tromping over their intellectual property rights, we set limits on ourselves (different limits for different people) and say "I will go no farther than this." My personal limit is that I won't touch anything licensed in the US or available in Japan with English subtitles, nor will I touch anything that hasn't been "added to" by someone's work (subtitled, basically. If I saw radio dramas that were in files along with translations, I might listen to them. Music, no way.) And I'll report anybody who I see breaking the law and making money at it to the authorities if I have the chance.

Anyway, I'll stop now. But as far as breaking into machines goes--just don't do it.
Anax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-24, 02:23   Link #48
DarKBoArDeR
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anax
Wait. You're not condoning it, but in the same breath you're saying that it's helped the digisubbing scene and has helped a lot?
Anax if u cant understand what i meant ill explain it in simple facts. 1) hacking is bad dont do it. Thats y i said i do not condone it anymore 2) its a fact that it has helped fansub distribution alot. if u cant see that then ur blind.

I have rooted for a good amount of time and tho i was ignorant at first i have come to realize (by a close friend being cought) that its not going to pay off (i quit rooting). I run distro for #anbudom and i use legit bots instead of "hacked" ones. I personally dont feel like having the FBI on my ass. I'm sure this path is the best way to go, for both the channel, and the ppl involved.

Last edited by DarKBoArDeR; 2003-11-25 at 00:40.
DarKBoArDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-24, 03:35   Link #49
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKBoArDeR
2) its a fact that it has helped fansub distribution alot.
The majority of the original set of xdcc bots used by fansubbers were donated by students at edu's. Installed and admined by the students, and they had their own personalities. Rooted bots are a newer fad.... and just further pushed it toward a warez scene.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-24, 04:14   Link #50
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKBoArDeR
Anax if u cant understand what i meant ill explain it in simple facts. 1) hacking is bad dont do it. Thats y i said i do not condone it anymore 2) its a fact that it has helped fansub distribution alot. if u cant see that then ur blind.
Sure it has helped fansub distribution a lot, but has it actually helped the fansub community a lot? To me, it seems the number of idiots who think everything they need can be gotten for free has been on the rise. -_-;;
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-24, 11:57   Link #51
Digital-Kitty
Evil Supreme Kitty

God, I cant help but thinking that any group that consciously utilizes such methods is just as low as those R1 anime DVD ripping groups. They use the similar method as those spammers who go around hunting for openrelays to use if I read right. No consideration for personal property of others. I guess they figure that if a door isnt locked tight enough, its free for their use.

I dont see any reason why a group has to steal a high-speed connection if they dont need one. Its equivilant to a charity group stealing a car off the streets because they need a ride to work. You make do with what you have unless you can afford or someone can give you better. If someone cant handle that, then do they really need to be fansubbing? People might be shocked at how much money they have once they give up soft drinks for water, stop smoking, and stop going to the movies etc. Hell, that what Ive done to afford my import anime and translations in the past. $40 per to month isnt that bad if holyangel is serious.

I pray that no group that I ever have any affiliation with will ever resort to such method.
Old 2003-11-24, 20:49   Link #52
NenMaster

u guys think bandwith is so cheap, 10mbit server (web) cogent banwith is about 450-500 bucks, ded server with good spec pc.
tell me which group can afford that. none!
Old 2003-11-25, 01:58   Link #53
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NenMaster
u guys think bandwith is so cheap, 10mbit server (web) cogent banwith is about 450-500 bucks, ded server with good spec pc.
Why would a group need a dedicated server? And I think 450-500 a month is a bit on the rip off steep price side.
Racknine has a 50gb/month limit + 2.5gb storage limit on its highest deal, and it's only $30 a month. And racknine is plenty fast, it maxes out around 800kB/s.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 03:59   Link #54
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
50gb/month limit + 2.5gb storage limit on its highest deal, and it's only $30 a month
let's see.....
50 gb/month ....
how many of those do I need to meet my 1 TB/week needs?

whoops, 80.

50 gb/month might be enough for your needs, if you've got a small following, but when you hit a certain point (like any time you have more than 285 people downloading your single 175 meg release once a month) you're over that. Do 4 eps/month (one weekly series you're keeping up with) and have 500 people who you're feeding? once again, that's 8 of those servers. 2 per release completely consumed.

The best wholesale bandwidth deals I've seen are rackshack's. 10 megabits dedicated is about 3 TB/month. 3 TB for 500 bucks isn't too bad. Their dedicated 100 mbit servers are a bit better though, 700 gigs data transfer for $100/month. 500 gets you 3.5 TB of transfer, and more machines to do stuff with (also more disk space, if I remember right the standard rackshack cheapo package has a 60 gig hdd), but you run the risk of their rather steep overage charges if you don't watch your bandwidth pretty closely. That, and its still $500/month. I know I can't foot even a fifth of that bill without drastically altering my lifestyle (like ... no longer being a student).

Just on the fansubs traffic (getting raws to people, getting release candidates to people, getting scripts to people) and distro (getting releases to distro people), my group uses a good 15-20 gigs/day of bandwidth, we eat almost a whole rackshack worth in bandwidth behind the scenes alone, and that's just 30 or so active people on a kinda large number of series.

Yeah, if we had ... I don't know, 3, 4 more of those, we could probably have what people would call a "good" distro.

On the other hand, if you are smaller, slower, and on less projects, 30 bucks a month for 50 gigs isn't bad at all. Why, that's an average of 20K/sec across the whole month, I know a lot of people who pay more for their cable modems than that and have slower upload!
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 11:23   Link #55
NenMaster

i meant that the servers are from webhosts

10mbit line = to 100gb aday so if u want to run a bot on that it will be enough but 10mbit isnt alot, i think u will need 5-10 of them to fully get ure releases out
Old 2003-11-25, 12:58   Link #56
holyangel
Kawaii Fantasy

Digital-Kitty, I already own the freaking host $80 already for 2 months payment, and u still think my bot are illegal? wtf is this....

P.S, I just bought another new bot hehe..
holyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 21:43   Link #57
Digital-Kitty
Evil Supreme Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyangel
Digital-Kitty, I already own the freaking host $80 already for 2 months payment, and u still think my bot are illegal? wtf is this....
wtf indeed, I havnt mentioned you or your group except to quote the price you mentioned you crazy little monkey you > Actually, I havnt accused anyone yet, but I do have my suspicions about a couple of ya who openly admitted to it...
Old 2003-12-21, 17:04   Link #58
Poemi
Inactive Member

most of the hacked stuff are so elementary, if u r kind enuf, you can go in and patch it for them or leave them a note about it.

i've told "rooters" that its ass fscking colony for them if they get caught, but i've seen arguements saying that they are not from teh US and make themselves feel better about it.

if you know its rooted and u feel wrong about it, dont use it.
if you really feel wrong about it, report it.
using the excuse of distroing anime cuz you dont have enuf legit bots to hack isnt not good enough excuse.
Poemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 04:14   Link #59
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Not true.

Anyway I think if your lame enough not to notice that u're missing 20gigs and your bandwidth is used even you have no dl/ul then I think it's a wake up call
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 09:44   Link #60
Ketsu-Kun
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ketsu-Kun Send a message via MSN to Ketsu-Kun
Quote:
id like to see groups seed there bt releases without no 10/20 mbit hacked machines.

if a company doesnt want there shit fansubed they can go after groups if they really want to stop all of it. it will scare some groups to stop etc, but then it will become underground and ALL the fans will use the bots even though they are hacked.
its like WHEN naruto gets lisenced, all the people who are against distrobution of lisenced anime will still download naruto. i dont see them waiting x months/year for the dvds, they cant even wait a week

and the people who consider fansubs legal are stupid
AnimeRev is one such group that seeds their releases without hacked machines. How? I do it personally from the Nandayo server, I do it for lots of groups including Lunar, AREV and more. Not all things are hacked or rooted as some people seem to think.

Some people still pay for stuff to serve, Nandayo pay for a server on a 100MBIT port burstable to 1GBIT. So stop assuming ALL things are hacked or rooted.

NenMaster, 10MBIT server on a P4 2.4GHZ serve from TMS (High Quality Datacenter Which Uses HE.NET, Not Cogent Which Is The Worst BW Known To Man) is only $399 a month. I can get cheaper as well if I look around, it's not hard.
Ketsu-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote