IceHism

Fantastic first episode. I am on board for this show
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 05:34   Link #42
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Liked the first episode a lot. The only issue was with pacing since there were too much scenes and characters, but nevertheless it was entertaining both for contents and for what it attempts to be. Furthermore, after having seen works inspired on manga artists, this might be the first I see about an actual anime company and its business.

Loved the tons of references all over the episode. I also liked the misspelled names of the Exodus' seiyuu, judging from the preview they should be these:

Going by the looks, left is Kayano Ai (she's nearly identical for both hairs and how she usually dresses), right is Itou Shizuka (long black hairs and that necklace), so middle one is Nakahara Mai, I remembered slightly longer hairs but other than that it's her.
Old 2014-10-10, 08:52   Link #43
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
After a year drought of PA Works sucking, they finally quelled my anger and gave me something worthwhile. That was a heck of a lot of fun. Sure there was moe girls that are obviously marketing tools for dem otakus but thankfully that wasn't the main focus. There were bits where I legitimately lold out loud like "GI Staff" or "Lanfis", the comment when the director made fun of stills or the whole Initial D part.

Definitely exceeded my expectations and one of the better shows this season.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2014-10-10 at 09:57.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 09:16   Link #44
Crossheart

A lightheaded story with a fast pacing? well, the first EP works on me.. also that anime industry jokes
Crossheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 09:20   Link #45
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Lol at the drifting video.

I don't know what the point of including that was but it was cool. But yes, Miyamori Aoi is really cute.

Last edited by ACertainStark; 2014-10-10 at 09:57. Reason: unneccessary!
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 09:39   Link #46
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Oh I love it. I wonder if the director is supposed to be self-deprecating version of Tsutomu Mizushima. And thank god this is 2 cour to tell the story and make the mockumentary of the anime production process.
Old 2014-10-10, 09:44   Link #47
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Oh I love it. I wonder if the director is supposed to be self-deprecating version of Tsutomu Mizushima. And thank god this is 2 cour to tell the story and make the mockumentary of the anime production process.
It's a 2 cour? news to me.
Old 2014-10-10, 09:54   Link #48
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
It's a 2 cour? news to me.
It's certainly somewhat of a concern to me as these kind of shows are better off in 1cour format.

But until then, I'ma sit back and enjoy the show.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 09:56   Link #49
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
It's certainly somewhat of a concern to me as these kind of shows are better off in 1cour format.

But until then, I'ma sit back and enjoy the show.
Makes me wonder though why the first half of the episode had its pacing then... I guess that's part of it? everything being frantic.

But yeah. Agree with that.
Old 2014-10-10, 10:22   Link #50
SidVicious
Anime addict

Nice first episode.
Old 2014-10-10, 12:31   Link #51
D-Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
The director is reference to his "brother(lol)" Mizushima Seiji
D-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 12:52   Link #52
Valky
Radioactive

The first episode was okay-ish, I guess? It has a lot of characters which I don't bother to remember. The story is so-so, so far. I'll keep watching for next few episodes.
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 14:02   Link #53
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Urgh, apparently youtube deleted my video right after uploading it, here is the new link:

Old 2014-10-10, 15:05   Link #54
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
After a year drought of PA Works sucking, they finally quelled my anger and gave me something worthwhile. That was a heck of a lot of fun. Sure there was moe girls that are obviously marketing tools for dem otakus but thankfully that wasn't the main focus. There were bits where I legitimately lold out loud like "GI Staff" or "Lanfis", the comment when the director made fun of stills or the whole Initial D part.

Definitely exceeded my expectations and one of the better shows this season.
Yeah, when I saw those drifting scenes, Initial D immediately was what came to mind. That was hilarious.

I also love all of the references to studios and RL people like others already mentioned.

Furthermore, I'm actually happy to hear this is 2 cour. It's easier for me to be invested to a show with a lot of things going on, if it has more space to be able to try to address everything that is going on within it. (At least, I'll feel this way as long as the show isn't just padded out, and the content is actually meaningful.)

I have to say that seeing this show is already making me appreciate every episode of anime that I see a little more. Sure it's only like 20-30 or so minutes (or longer if it's a special case like FSN), but it really takes a lot of effort to craft that "short" presentation (at least compared to the amount of effort put into making it, just like for video games)--and so it makes it feel more worth it.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 22:14   Link #55
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've made a characters/seiyuus page for this show, with pics of 24 characters and their seiyuus, and a bit of info about each seiyuu.

In addition, I have added the characters' job titles, which I found from the show, the official site, and Japanese Wikipedia. The translations of the job titles are based on this interesting page, which describes the functions of each staff member.

If I'm missing a character you want info on, please let me know. I got pics of the first dozen from the official site, but had to work with screenshots to get the rest.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 23:05   Link #56
Xeiros

Is there meant to be some sort of plot here or is it going be the same formulaic grind we got with episode one? It's clearly not a comedy and yet as a drama the audience needs to care about the characters and the trials they face, but they're doing a poor job of that.

I don't give two shits about the studio, the people in it, or the show they're making. Am I supposed to? Oh no someone fucked up and they might not finish the next episode on time. Yawn. Please tell me they're not going to just reuse that over and over. I'm sick of it. You can't just introduce a new character, 10 minutes later have something bad happen to them and expect the audience to care. We need to get to know them first, connect with them, form that audience and character bond over time.

It's boring and lifeless. See episode 6 of Golden Boy for this sort of premise done right. This first episode used the same conflict it did (issues arise during production and characters destructed try to complete it on time), but unlike Golden Boy it lacked any sort of emotional impact and Golden Boy was a comedy for fucks sake. This has far too many characters even though the majority wouldn't even qualify as archetypes. The closest we got to a character of any sort was donuts girl and she can't carry this show on her own.
Old 2014-10-11, 00:49   Link #57
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
Makes me wonder though why the first half of the episode had its pacing then... I guess that's part of it? everything being frantic.

But yeah. Agree with that.
It certainly could have been intentional, to get the audience to feel just how rushed an anime production can get and the number of people who are involved in the process.

I like that this is going to be a look into anime production. I'm looking forward to more references as well. xD
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 02:16   Link #58
larethian

A lot of information cramped into one episode. Otherwise a cool show that sheds light on background challenges and demystifies the anime industry.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 02:57   Link #59
ToaruLL
Lord of Lolis

P.A Works!!!! ahem Loved it Loved it so much potential and 2-cour as well.
Also that supporting cast what we talking hear 1st episode introduced over 20 characters is that a record?
Spoiler for large image:
Fansub Database See what fansubs are doing what animes.
Visual Novel Currently Playing - Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
Anime currently marathoning - Aikatsu, Honey & Clover, Nodame Cantabile
Light Novels Currently Reading - Hataraku Maou-sama
Manga Currently Marathoning - Berserk
ToaruLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 07:56   Link #60
Kamieichi

It seems because of SHIROBAKO, this anime gets some attention.

Kamieichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p.a. works, slice of life