Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-14, 00:18   Link #41
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
So am I the only one who'd kinda rather see the series about the young genius negotiator and his asshat pal traveling post-boom Japan trying to make a difference?
At first I wanted to see that too. But then I thought "maybe not if every time they solve the problem by conveniently inventing a new technology".

Still, it was interesting. And a nice twist that the guy who tried to close the plant wasn't doing it to be an asshat.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 10:23   Link #42
bakato

The show is developing nicely. As I guessed, we got to see what Shindo was up to during episode 1 and establish communications with Yaha. We should have a concrete idea of the show by episode 3 and what to expect from the show.
Old 2017-04-14, 14:01   Link #43
kuromitsu

I enjoyed the second episode as well - also, I already want a novelization. It really feels like a novel adaptation, which is I guess not surprising given the writer, but it also feels like there is more to it which is not expressed in the animation. So I'm expecting a novel version after the show ends.

I really like the dynamics between Shindou and Zashunina, with its tension and curiosity. Also, the humor works surprisingly well (the time negotiation on top of the cube was hilarious and cute). And speaking of cute, human puppy Hanamori also continues to be cute. He's really puppy-like, right down to the scared/angry barking at the alien. What was he even trying​ to accomplish by jumping at Shindou and rolling down the slide with him? Who cares, it was cute.

After the female scientist I'm not surprised that Shindou's "opponent" will be a very young woman. How much of a genius do you have to be to get this sort of trust at such a young age, necessary lack of experience, etc? This hurts a little, given the relative degree of realism otherwise. Oh well.

And I must say Terashima is doing a great job as Zashunina. The last scene in the first episode made me wonder, but he's not going for "robotic", but a more nuanced, restrained portrayal.

So far I'm enjoying this show the most from the season's offerings, surprisingly enough. Come on, episode 3!

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2017-04-14 at 14:23.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 15:38   Link #44
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I enjoyed the second episode as well - also, I already want a novelization. It really feels like a novel adaptation, which is I guess not surprising given the writer, but it also feels like there is more to it which is not expressed in the animation. So I'm expecting a novel version after the show ends.

I really like the dynamics between Shindou and Zashunina, with its tension and curiosity. Also, the humor works surprisingly well (the time negotiation on top of the cube was hilarious and cute). And speaking of cute, human puppy Hanamori also continues to be cute. He's really puppy-like, right down to the scared/angry barking at the alien. What was he even trying​ to accomplish by jumping at Shindou and rolling down the slide with him? Who cares, it was cute.

After the female scientist I'm not surprised that Shindou's "opponent" will be a very young woman. How much of a genius do you have to be to get this sort of trust at such a young age, necessary lack of experience, etc? This hurts a little, given the relative degree of realism otherwise. Oh well.

And I must say Terashima is doing a great job as Zashunina. The last scene in the first episode made me wonder, but he's not going for "robotic", but a more nuanced, restrained portrayal.

So far I'm enjoying this show the most from the season's offerings, surprisingly enough. Come on, episode 3!
They're not young and they're not geniuses. They're competent adults.
Old 2017-04-14, 15:49   Link #45
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
They're not young and they're not geniuses. They're competent adults.
She's 24. Pretty damn young for representing an entire country and its government, if you ask me.
Old 2017-04-14, 15:58   Link #46
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
She's 24. Pretty damn young for representing an entire country and its government, if you ask me.
At least she's not a middle schooler. She's positively ancient, by anime standards.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 16:31   Link #47
bakato

Quote:
Don't make it sound like she's the president. That's what negotiators do and it's not always gonna be some old man. It's hardly unrealistic.
Old 2017-04-14, 16:32   Link #48
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
At least she's not a middle schooler. She's positively ancient, by anime standards.
And at least from the little we heard of her from the PV she seems less eccentric then the scientist. Her age and appearance don't bother me. I care more for how she'll act.
Old 2017-04-14, 16:46   Link #49
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
And at least from the little we heard of her from the PV she seems less eccentric then the scientist. Her age and appearance don't bother me. I care more for how she'll act.
Well, she's #2 after Shindo so we can expect some smarts. Though I wonder how different she is from him.
Old 2017-04-14, 17:18   Link #50
kuromitsu

Quote:
Don't make it sound like she's the president. That's what negotiators do and it's not always gonna be some old man. It's hardly unrealistic.
All I'm saying is that if Shindou gets to be 30 she could've been 30, too (like Natsume). It's not that it has to be an old man, but someone so young and with so little experience? Hell, in the real world she would be barely out of university, if at all...
Old 2017-04-14, 17:34   Link #51
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
I have to agree with kuromitsu here. 24 really is incredibly young to be entrusted with what is basically the most important negotiation in human history. Even Shindou is rather young to be so well known.

I guess that it could make some sense if all the senior people ran away to the private sector.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 17:51   Link #52
bakato

Quote:
All I'm saying is that if Shindou gets to be 30 she could've been 30, too (like Natsume). It's not that it has to be an old man, but someone so young and with so little experience? Hell, in the real world she would be barely out of university, if at all...
Oh, so he's really 30. He did strike me as middle aged, but his design made him seem younger. I suppose your skepticism is reasonable, but how old are negotiators usually? Tsukai may be young but the fact that she's the go-to girl after Shindo speaks volumes about her abilities and hints that she may be ambitious. I look forward to how she interacts with Shindo at the table.
Old 2017-04-14, 17:59   Link #53
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Oh, so he's really 30. He did strike me as middle aged, but his design made him seem younger. I suppose your skepticism is reasonable, but how old are negotiators usually? Tsukai may be young but the fact that she's the go-to girl after Shindo speaks volumes about her abilities and hints that she may be ambitious. I look forward to how she interacts with Shindo at the table.
It's not really negotiators specifically.

Government agencies are big on seniority, so someone of her age wouldn't even get the chance to acquire experience in being in charge of high level business regardless of ability.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 18:02   Link #54
Convoy
Knight of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
It's not really negotiators specifically.

Government agencies are big on seniority, so someone of her age wouldn't even get the chance to acquire experience in being in charge of high level business regardless of ability.
And plus, this is Japanese culture.
Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 19:33   Link #55
SeaDoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convoy View Post
And plus, this is Japanese culture.
and this is a fantasy.

Like where this seems to be headed already! Glad the annoying scientist woman was absent in the second episode. Hope that continues.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-15, 07:48   Link #56
drawr

I have to agree with those glad the scientist lady was out, the previous episode went a bit to far with her zaniness. Really enjoying this show so far, my only other minor gripe is all the praise Shindou gets. I know he's great at his job but it gets a little ridiculous with people praising him every time he breathes. But still I love his interaction with Zaha-kui. I'm surprised they have gotten friendly so quickly.
drawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-15, 17:52   Link #57
Arya

Definitely the most interesting show of the season for me too. I liked all the episodes and I not even bothered by the scientist. Still, I'm not sure I'd have gone with such an aggressive test like the AP round test against an alien cube you know nothing about, but whatever

Yeah Shindou's praise can stop now, we got it, not that it bothers me, but it is unnecessary.

I'm really curious about what the alien goal is. We can assume he is friendly, as far as an alien mindset can be. And that may be the line here, he claims that he knows what suits humanity best but of course is very debatable, it is even among us humans.
For now it seems that we will have our negotiators negotiating on the alien's offers. Having Shindou taking the alien side. This last bit seems a bit odd because Shindou is human so I can't see him going against his own race, making the presence of a second negotiator redundant. While it seems very likely that they won't go hand to hand in the negotiations, having different views on the possible benefits or cons. Shindou seems more risky so I'm expecting the girl to be conservative.

In any case I'm looking forward to the next episode.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-15, 19:05   Link #58
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Definitely the most interesting show of the season for me too. I liked all the episodes and I not even bothered by the scientist. Still, I'm not sure I'd have gone with such an aggressive test like the AP round test against an alien cube you know nothing about, but whatever

Yeah Shindou's praise can stop now, we got it, not that it bothers me, but it is unnecessary.

I'm really curious about what the alien goal is. We can assume he is friendly, as far as an alien mindset can be. And that may be the line here, he claims that he knows what suits humanity best but of course is very debatable, it is even among us humans.
For now it seems that we will have our negotiators negotiating on the alien's offers. Having Shindou taking the alien side. This last bit seems a bit odd because Shindou is human so I can't see him going against his own race, making the presence of a second negotiator redundant. While it seems very likely that they won't go hand to hand in the negotiations, having different views on the possible benefits or cons. Shindou seems more risky so I'm expecting the girl to be conservative.

In any case I'm looking forward to the next episode.
It's precisely because they know nothing about it. Doing nothing might be just as bad as doing something.

What praise? He appeared along with an alien. It's only natural for him to be the center of attention.

Everyone's wondering why a higher order being would want to intervene in mortal affairs, but it may not be for any materialistic gains. I think he's doing this for humanity. He said it himself. He's going to advance humanity.

From what we know about Shindo's work ethics, negotiators don't really take sides. They're working towards the interests of both parties. Someone has to represent the alien who doesn't know much about human bureaucracy. The government doesn't really know what happened to Shindou. He may be brainwashed by the alien. So it's only natural for them to have reservations about trusting him.
Old 2017-04-15, 19:52   Link #59
Kunagisa

Quote:
That's how Nozaki operates though. Huge exaggerations and fully intentional. The fact you point this out is kinda funny because I'm used to geniuses of even higher caliber in his other work.

As for the story itself, considering more than half the cast hasn't even made an appearance yet (assuming those blocked squares on the websites will be populate by character profiles and not just for aesthetic purpose), seems kinda tough to guess where the direction is going. BUT, the scale seems way too small right now. If this is relating to human advancement as a whole, then we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg. Since LongNameAlien clearly makes a case that humanity must constantly discuss whether he's friend or foe, "It" will probably provide some new topics (technological advancement seems like a given) that would serve as the trigger for the debate. Hopefully the "food for thought" would not just be/more than just weapons.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-15, 21:01   Link #60
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
That's how Nozaki operates though. Huge exaggerations and fully intentional. The fact you point this out is kinda funny because I'm used to geniuses of even higher caliber in his other work.

As for the story itself, considering more than half the cast hasn't even made an appearance yet (assuming those blocked squares on the websites will be populate by character profiles and not just for aesthetic purpose), seems kinda tough to guess where the direction is going. BUT, the scale seems way too small right now. If this is relating to human advancement as a whole, then we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg. Since LongNameAlien clearly makes a case that humanity must constantly discuss whether he's friend or foe, "It" will probably provide some new topics (technological advancement seems like a given) that would serve as the trigger for the debate. Hopefully the "food for thought" would not just be/more than just weapons.
Yaha said he's keeping to Japan first, but I hope he expands his contacts to the international community. You've given me an idea. Maybe Yaha plans to release new technology to humanity and with conditions as a means to test and stimulate them.

Tags
3dcg, sci-fi