Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-04-07, 00:53   Link #41
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The damage Benio inflicting on it wasn't all that significant, and she herself got a beating (look how much she's bleeding in that scene).

The other thing to note is the Impurity seemed to be afraid of Rokuro's arm. And he called it a curse, so there's obviously something very special about this power.
Well I suppose the definition of significant could be debated. Taking out multiple smaller arms (which are still freaking huge considering how big that thing is) and sending something like that flying back a fair distance to the point where it couldn't immediately go after her is pretty solid work. She definitely paid a price for it, but that thing took its share of a beating.

Wouldn't be surprised though if it's a particularly effective power that Rokuro has. After all...he has an arm that he shouldn't as seen by the start of the episode. That thing is not normal to be sure.
Old 2016-04-07, 02:28   Link #42
Utsuro no Hako

I look at it this way: Benio and Rokuro are about even in raw strength, but Benio gets a 50% attack bonus because she's better trained, whereas Rokuro gets a 50% bonus for having a magical power-up on his arm, and then another 50% for being the shounen hero of a shounen battle manga.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 02:34   Link #43
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Rokuro gets a 50% bonus for having a magical power-up on his arm
I'd say that arm gives him a 100% bonus.
Old 2016-04-07, 05:38   Link #44
IceHism

Yea this is my type of show outside of the characters being too small and young for me. Hopefully both protagonists share similar amounts of development and screentime. I enjoyed the premiere a good amount.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 07:36   Link #45
aakun4

I thought this was really good. The direction and framing were particularly great but it felt like a really good production overall. Shows themed around exorcists have been a big hit with me in the past (Shaman King, Noragami) so I can't help but be excited about this one too.

The general impression I got about the show was that this is the type of show that would greatly benefit from a large amount of episodes so it if really is 4 cours it should be wonderful. I hope its split in half though if there's less than 30 chapters to adapt and they are already including a lot of anime only content...
aakun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 09:04   Link #46
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Pretty generic shonen stuff so far, but I found it engaging, and I like this particular flavor of setting. The character design doesn't do it for me, but the battles and action scenes were good and, well, a magic battle series needs to have good action. And the leads seem basically likeable, from what I've seen of them.

One thing really frosts me, though: We're in 2016, and we still can't just have "onmyouji" go untranslated? I mean, it's a very specific kind of spiritual/magical tradition that in turns calls for very specific historical roots and context. Yet virtually every anime or videogame series that makes it West insists on throwing that out and replacing it with "medium" (Tokyo Babylon) or "oracle" (Final Fantasy Tactics) or "exorcist" (this show!) or whatnot. Especially egregious if it's something like Kuon that actually has freaking Abe no Seimei in it! I think Tokyo Ravens is the only one I can think of that left it intact (and I genuinely don't remember if the Heian arc of Otogi Zoshi did or didn't translate it).

This is made even more annoying in this show by the fact that "Kegare," of all things, is left in the original Japanese. Kegare isn't a generic term for "monster" like "youkai" or the like; it's the specific word for spiritual impurity in the Shinto sense.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 09:53   Link #47
SakurazukaJames

I thought this was alright, although I do need to read up on some of the terms they were using. There's a lot of Japanese-specific culture in show that I'm not really understanding.

I will never apologize for enjoying fanservice.
SakurazukaJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 10:38   Link #48
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

I really like this tsukkomi MC, him and the girl's troll faces and the jokes during the off-action moments.

Immediately went and looked for the manga, got hooked and read all available chapters in one sitting.

This is a gem.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 12:08   Link #49
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Yea this is my type of show outside of the characters being too small and young for me. Hopefully both protagonists share similar amounts of development and screentime. I enjoyed the premiere a good amount.
I think it's refreshing to see a series where the protagonists are middle-schoolers instead of high-schoolers for a change. It actually doesn't happen all that often.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 21:20   Link #50
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Its seem that the MC is really unlucky wonder how he keeped his teeth after falling on that
Old 2016-04-07, 22:31   Link #51
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
The childhood friend will get blown the F out in this one, haha service these cockblocking scum right. Anyway for the people that hate harem (like me) you will enjoy this series very much, we will get our official couple established very soon.

The train battle scene, the voice talking to Benio while she fighting in Magano is all anime-original. That short hair girl talking to MC after he got rejected actually didn't happened in manga, she was introduced a bit later in the manga not this soon. There some anime original but mostly follow the manga.
Then why does your name have dxd in it? Isn't that a popular harem series
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 23:34   Link #52
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMancer View Post
Then why does your name have dxd in it? Isn't that a popular harem series
My taste in animes/LNs when I'm a HS student compared to the me of now as a college student is very different. I would like to change it to "Sakibestwaifu" though.
Old 2016-04-08, 03:23   Link #53
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think it's refreshing to see a series where the protagonists are middle-schoolers instead of high-schoolers for a change. It actually doesn't happen all that often.
mmm, I have preferred high-schoolers too to be honest, but probably it's the mix with the unnecessary comedy, for me, that got in my way.
Those teeth above all

The perfect mix for me would have been this with kabaneri!!

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 03:49   Link #54
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

I just love this kind of humor:

ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 04:17   Link #55
Arya

It's not a matter of humor per sè, but more in which context it's used. In this case the atmosphere looks quite grim so that level and kind of comedy breaks the mood for me more often than not.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 09:05   Link #56
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
My taste in animes/LNs when I'm a HS student compared to the me of now as a college student is very different. I would like to change it to "Sakibestwaifu" though.
If it has been a year since you had it, you could request to have it changed.
Old 2016-04-08, 11:09   Link #57
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Same here. It was a interesting episode with nice action scenes and cool powers. It's been quite a while since i last saw an anime about the Onmyouji theme. However, it's really a shame the protagonists are still kids and the art style does not help it either... their faces, especially the girls, look like they all are 10 years old but with boobs. It's really weird..lol.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 12:13   Link #58
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
If it has been a year since you had it, you could request to have it changed.
It fine, I been using this username since I first joined AS. I have some attachment to it.
Old 2016-04-09, 06:48   Link #59
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Mayura fan reporting for duty! Ah, I just love that gradient hair, ever so luminous.... and I admit I have fantasies of running into her full speed, well not too fast, at least not bodily injury fast, but.... yeah, you get the idea

But I love stories about skyfalling girls, painting me like a laser guided bomb, planting their pantsu on my face knocking me out cold..... ahem, I am most certainly going to be following this series. Strangely enough, I for some reason suddenly thought about Shakugan no Shana....Mostly because I haven't finished it due to circumstances but I'll get there one day when I'm healthy
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 19:18   Link #60
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Those legs
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote