AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2022-01-03, 08:56   Link #41
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
That makes no sense. There aren't that many characters out there being voiced by people the same age as themselves.
And this is ignoring the fact that what matters is their voice itself, not age.
Yes, the voice is what matters, and I'm not sure that based on her recent work that Lum's VA could pull off voicing a 16 year old. She's mostly been voicing grandmas lately, the most recent being in Blue Period. Ataru's VA can still sound the same (proven by Nezumi Otoko) but they kind of come as a package. You can't just bring one back and not the other.

There's the workload to take into account too.

Anyway, nothing wrong with a remake changing the VAs.
Old 2022-01-03, 10:21   Link #42
Frontier

A 4-cour remake for modern audiences...I think it makes sense to use newer VA's, and certainly you can't dispute Sumire or Kamiya's talent.
Old 2022-01-03, 18:37   Link #43
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm fine with changing seiyuu after 35(!) years, and I think Sumire is fine. My issue is I think Kamiya is woefully miscast and generally insufferable in this sort of role. And in broad terms, if you're going to re-cast a male role anyway, I think it's dumb to get a middle-aged man who sounds ludicrous playing teenagers (as Kamiya does).
Old 2022-01-04, 10:25   Link #44
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm fine with changing seiyuu after 35(!) years, and I think Sumire is fine. My issue is I think Kamiya is woefully miscast and generally insufferable in this sort of role. And in broad terms, if you're going to re-cast a male role anyway, I think it's dumb to get a middle-aged man who sounds ludicrous playing teenagers (as Kamiya does).
I dunno, on-paper it feels like the kind of role he'd fit well in, and I don't think his voice sounds that ill-fitting for a teenager compared to other seiyuu in his age group. At least as long as his voice fits the personality of the character and no doubt he's got the performance chops, I don't see the issue .

Although to be honest I thought that teaser visual of him next to Ataru where he's looking at the camera like "Yeah, that's right, I'm in this for some reason" was hilarious .
Old 2022-01-04, 19:11   Link #45
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

His most iconic role is as much of a pervert as Ataru, so it works for me.
Old 2022-01-04, 19:40   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
His most iconic role is as much of a pervert as Ataru, so it works for me.
It's hard for me to think of anything but Natsume as his most iconic role.
Old 2022-01-04, 19:43   Link #47
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Instead of voice-acting, what concerns me more is whether the story & comedy will resonate with new modern audience or not (assuming they want to attract new viewers). The show might be a hit back in the 80s but today's anime industry has outgrew Rumiko's UY-brand of rom-com. Speaking of Rumiko, how successful was the Rin-ne anime?

I'll be honest, aside from Maison Ikkoku, Rumiko's writing is not something that I regard highly. Some of you might know how I hate many of Inuyasha's characters past their concept & ideas (eg. am I suppose to symphatize with a molester like Miroku?). I like Lum, but Ataru can be insufferable at times. But I guess if today's audience is fine with the ultimate loser MC like in Rent-a-Girlfriend which I don't even want to remember his name, Ataru will be a walk in the park.
Old 2022-01-04, 20:34   Link #48
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Instead of voice-acting, what concerns me more is whether the story & comedy will resonate with new modern audience or not (assuming they want to attract new viewers). The show might be a hit back in the 80s but today's anime industry has outgrew Rumiko's UY-brand of rom-com. Speaking of Rumiko, how successful was the Rin-ne anime?
I mean, that is a valid concern. What really puzzles me is, who exactly was asking for this? I have nothing against Urusei Yatsura but it's not like it's some seminal work that demands to be updated for the modern era. In a sense anime (much less NoitaminA) is a zero sum game - there's literally only so much production capacity out there. Why in the world do we need a four cour reboot of this series now?

Frankly, if they were going to reboot any 80s romcom I would have thought Touch would be the better candidate. It's the most popular TV anime ever, and not only that, it has a decently popular sequel currently running which would benefit from the exposure.
Old 2022-01-05, 00:34   Link #49
Frontier

I was reading the manga recently and found it fairly entertaining, so I think a modern remake will work fine...and it's David Productions, so I think they'll probably add their own nice touch to it .
Old 2022-01-05, 04:35   Link #50
SidVicious
Anime addict

Quote:

I'll be honest, aside from Maison Ikkoku, Rumiko's writing is not something that I regard highly. Some of you might know how I hate many of Inuyasha's characters past their concept & ideas (eg. am I suppose to symphatize with a molester like Miroku?). I like Lum, but Ataru can be insufferable at times. But I guess if today's audience is fine with the ultimate loser MC like in Rent-a-Girlfriend which I don't even want to remember his name, Ataru will be a walk in the park.
The janapese are the intended audience and they really love Lum. That's reason enough for the remake.
Old 2022-01-05, 05:42   Link #51
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I mean, that is a valid concern. What really puzzles me is, who exactly was asking for this? I have nothing against Urusei Yatsura but it's not like it's some seminal work that demands to be updated for the modern era. In a sense anime (much less NoitaminA) is a zero sum game - there's literally only so much production capacity out there. Why in the world do we need a four cour reboot of this series now?
It is curious since David Production also revived Captain Tsubasa back in 2018 for some reason. The result was a great Tsubasa anime and the global fans were overjoyed. But CT-2018 was unable to adapt the entire Tsubasa story and stopped at episode 52 (aka. 4 cour). It was a successful remake and fans wanted more but it just stopped there with no major follow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
The janapese are the intended audience and they really love Lum. That's reason enough for the remake.
I'm not talking about fans & people who already like UY. I'm talking about new viewers who aren't familiar with UY in the first place. Will the producers target the current/new/younger audiences as well? If yes, I would like to see how they do it when it air. I'm just curious.
Old 2022-01-05, 08:27   Link #52
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
It's hard for me to think of anything but Natsume as his most iconic role.
It's a toss. He spent about as much time voicing Araragi as he did Natsume. Araragi is the one that came to mind here when I heard he was cast as Ataru because they're kinda similar, while Natsume couldn't be any more different from them.

Quote:

Has the industry really outgrown that kind of romcom? A lot of series follow the same formula: introduce more girls as the series go on and never have the protagonist make any real progress with any of them until the final stage of the story.
Old 2022-01-05, 08:41   Link #53
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Has the industry really outgrown that kind of romcom? A lot of series follow the same formula: introduce more girls as the series go on and never have the protagonist make any real progress with any of them until the final stage of the story.
It's not about the premise but more about the execution of Rumiko's brand of comedy in UY back then.

For comparison, we saw how the new versions of Devilman, Dororo & GeGeGe no Kitaro still had their basic premises but they changed their narrative style/ execution to a certain degree to adapt to new/current generation of audiences. I'm simply curious to see how UY will adapt (to attract viewers other than existing fans).
Old 2022-01-05, 09:38   Link #54
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
@Kanon Lets just say, since at least 2012, there is sadly a very vocal minority that is against the ecchi part of a lot of ecchi comedies, and this is a part of Rumiko's works like UY and R1/2. And some of those people are part of overseas publishers, like Funimation.
Old 2022-04-07, 05:29   Link #55
SidVicious
Anime addict

New Urusei Yatsura Anime Casts Maaya Uchida, Mamoru Miyano

The official website for the new television anime of Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura manga posted an updated version of the anime's teaser promotional video on Thursday. The video announces two more cast members.

Maaya Uchida as Shinobu Miyake
Mamoru Miyano as Shūtarō Mendō

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...miyano/.184439
Old 2022-04-07, 09:16   Link #56
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
New Urusei Yatsura Anime Casts Maaya Uchida, Mamoru Miyano

The official website for the new television anime of Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura manga posted an updated version of the anime's teaser promotional video on Thursday. The video announces two more cast members.

Maaya Uchida as Shinobu Miyake
Mamoru Miyano as Shūtarō Mendō

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...miyano/.184439
They're really aiming for an all-star cast .
Old 2022-04-07, 15:30   Link #57
Alchemist007
*Author

Miyano as Mendou might be as close to perfection as a choice can be.
Old 2022-05-19, 05:16   Link #58
SidVicious
Anime addict

New Urusei Yatsura Anime's 1st Animated Video Unveils More Cast & Staff, October Premiere

The official website for the new television anime of Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura manga posted the anime's first full promotional video with animation footage and first key visual on Thursday. The video announces two more cast members, more staff members, and the October premiere of the anime.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...emiere/.185816
Old 2022-05-19, 05:42   Link #59
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

For those who want English sub for the teaser:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2022-05-19, 06:15   Link #60
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

We have a season assigned. At least something else I can rely on will actually air in 2022. Really wasn't keen for a second year in a row of one title I want to remember.