Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-24, 19:20   Link #41
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Okay, I'm confused.

Spoiler for ep.1:

Other than that loved ep. 1. Thanks Shinsen.
Old 2008-01-25, 05:51   Link #42
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Yosha Yosha Yosha

I did not know about this was a like a pleasant shock which super kicked me on my face . A spin off of GeGeGe no Kitaro ar directed by Mononoke guys . One Word Awesome .... I cant believe it . And as subbers are my fave subs Shinsen , this series will see the end .

I love GeGeGe No Kitaro and this series is supposedly truer to the manga . If I have to stay up really late I am going to watch this anime . I hope this anime is a huge success which may lead to subbing of GeGeGe no Kitaro 2007.. (Clicky)

I checked the cast the Seiyu have changed

Quote:
* Ep Title

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2008-01-25, 05:56   Link #43
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Chracters in GeGeGe no Kitaro

Chracters in GeGeGe no Kitaro
Quote:
# Kitaro

Spoiler for Space / Spoiler:
Quote:
# Medama Oyaji

Spoiler for Spoiler / Space:
Quote:

# Nezumi Otoko

Spoiler for Spoiler/Space:
Quote:
# Neko Musume

Spoiler for Spoiler/ Space:
Quote:
# Sunakake Babaa

Quote:
# Konaki Jijii

Quote:
# Ittan Momen

Quote:
# Nurikabe

Source : Wiki
Old 2008-01-25, 06:10   Link #44
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Okay, I'm confused.

Spoiler for ep.1:

Other than that loved ep. 1. Thanks Shinsen.
The Gegege anime had a few people who turned demonic after committing a mortal sin. Like how with that mother in that episode. And maybe the Ghost Tribe has a sort of a viral effect on people turning them into Mononoke/demons.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 11:13   Link #45
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
The Gegege anime had a few people who turned demonic after committing a mortal sin. Like how with that mother in that episode. And maybe the Ghost Tribe has a sort of a viral effect on people turning them into Mononoke/demons.
Thanks for the explanation. And...
So then why was she advised to do what she did if that was going to happen in the end? Didn't the other lady know about the "turning into a demon if you commit murder" clause?
Old 2008-01-25, 11:21   Link #46
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Having seen the first episode of the original and 20007 Kitaro I can say this one is a lot dire darker dire and scarier . I was expecting the art to be unique and path breaking like Mononoke but it isn’t so . The opening is quite funky and the art style used has a nostalgic 50-60s feel to it . I was reminded of the old batman comics I had glanced upon . the opening is quite foot tapping and I like it already . GeGeGe must be a huge franchise as the op track for both the Kitaro (2007/2008) are tailor made to fit the series

More I watch the anime more I am in agreement this art style too is unique, it breaking new grounds . Also the opening story is quite different from what I had expected I actually like this . A new specter called hitodama was introduced, after checking up on wiki ..

Quote:
Hitodama ( "human soul" or "human ball") are believed in Japanese folklore to be the souls of the newly dead taking form of mysterious fireballs. The word hitodama is a combination of the Japanese words hito, meaning "human", and tama, meaning "soul". These flames supposedly appear as pale blue, some times green, spheres with long tails and are believed to be tricksters originating from fluorescent gases that can sometimes be seen above human graves.
The little story-history lesson on Yurei tribe was pretty fascinating. True to the show ghosts are shown in a different light . The birth of Kitaro was pretty scary unique but fascinating at the same time . I never knew about little detail It was pretty cruel for the man to abandon him which led to loss of Kitaro’s eye but at the same time he sorta made it up by taking caring of him. The birth of Medama Oyaji was also pretty interesting, in itself, the love for his son made him take the form he is in.

This Kitaro is darker and less antisocial than other Kitaro’s I have come across , which is a welcome change to early to tell The grandmother was pretty insane in herself the older Kitaro would have tried to rescue his adopted father but this one didn’t , though he warned him . I did feel he was obligated to save him . In the other Kitaros , the protagonist is a savior or doer of good but this one its is a negation of old Kitaros . Is the manga actually like that?

On an ending note the op , listening to it make you wanna put your dancing shoes on and do a little jig : )

Old 2008-01-25, 15:44   Link #47
solomon

I've heard in some circles that this is the "original" Kitarou. I think that means it's the first version that Mizuki created before he pushed the concept and characters toward a more youth audience. What really cemented it as a youth production was the various anime though.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 21:58   Link #48
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Hmmm, this is good. I prefer this over the other Gegege series that is currently on. This has a much darker atmosphere and sound effects.

I done a bit of reading up on Wiki and found this version of the show is based on the very first 1959 Manga that Mizuki Shigeru drew after his original Kitaro slide show series failed to gain popularity back in 1954. It was then in 1964 did the character design change so that the series could get published in Manga magazines aimed at young boys.

That explains the completely different looks Too bad it's going to end at 11 episodes.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 08:58   Link #49
Dop
Mmmm....

Well, I'd not been planning on watching this until I discovered it was the latest Noitamina offering, so as I've never seen a Noitamina series I didn't like I thought I'd give it a try.

Very strange. Reminds me of those old 1950's EC Horror comics from America.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 12:33   Link #50
Saber Cherry
Marionette

This seems very trippy and surreal. Unfortunately, surrealism makes my brain hurt and discombobulates my optic nerves. So, while I made it through episode 1, I doubt I'll continue... and yet, I must say that it is an extremely unusual, unpredictable, and creative anime.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 14:26   Link #51
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
I done a bit of reading up on Wiki and found this version of the show is based on the very first 1959 Manga that Mizuki Shigeru drew after his original Kitaro slide show series failed to gain popularity back in 1954. It was then in 1964 did the character design change so that the series could get published in Manga magazines aimed at young boys.

That explains the completely different looks Too bad it's going to end at 11 episodes.
Nice research was very informative but I have question . In the 1959 manga is Kitaro also an anti social character ? This Kitaro is like the good Kitaro's Evil Twin : D

Let me spam this thread later after I am done with ep 2 : )
Old 2008-01-26, 16:03   Link #52
solomon

Maybe not evil twin in a literal sense. I just think that this was the original Kitaro that Mizuki came up with before he "revisioned" him. No proof, just an educated guess.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 20:53   Link #53
orion

This is like Demon Prince Enma in that nothing good ever comes out of humans coming into contact with demons.

Spoiler for ep.2:
Old 2008-01-27, 00:42   Link #54
jedinat

Just watched the first two episodes; I like it. Hopefully the subs will continue where GeGeGe was dropped. Just based on the the first ep of the 2007 series and these two episodes, I like this series more. This one is a lot less shounen-y than the last. The art style is very fun.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 08:56   Link #55
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
I have question . In the 1959 manga is Kitaro also an anti social character ? This Kitaro is like the good Kitaro's Evil Twin : D
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Maybe not evil twin in a literal sense. I just think that this was the original Kitaro that Mizuki came up with before he "revisioned" him. No proof, just an educated guess.
Apparently at this point in the story, the concept behind the just born Kitaro was he is not on the human's side yet and was a bringer of misfortune which is why he seems "evil" here. He's not really doing anything bad though. In other words, he's still learning about his own race and the humans. Notice the Gegege series that's on just now didn't start off with the birth of Kitaro.

After the character design change, the story itself was also shifted towards the whole "Kitaro of justice will defeat all bad Youkai" idea which actually helped increase the series' popularity. Then in 1968 when the Manga series was turned Anime, they decided to change the title too because "Hakaba (Graveyard)" sounded too dark so they made it "Gegege".

Now I'm curious to see what the original Neko Musume looks like in comparison to the current fan service version of her
Old 2008-01-27, 16:00   Link #56
plzd0ntkeelme
self-proclaimed otaku

Ep 2 is great. The world in this series is creepy and interesting with the existence of Yasha, Dracula, and Hell. Gotta wonder about Kitaro's vest, tho'. Does it mean that Kitaro forever can't die as long as he wear the vest? I don't really like that kind of cheap powers.
plzd0ntkeelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 21:32   Link #57
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Xcomp firstly I was wondering where were you ? As you were the only person actively watching raws of GeGeGe and informing us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
Apparently at this point in the story, the concept behind the just born Kitaro was he is not on the human's side yet and was a bringer of misfortune which is why he seems "evil" here. He's not really doing anything bad though. In other words, he's still learning about his own race and the humans. Notice the Gegege series that's on just now didn't start off with the birth of Kitaro.
Why I used this term 'Evil' was, how he abandoned his adopted father in hell . He did warn him but still for raising and feeding him he was in a way obligated to that man . As the adopted father was researching paranormal he could easily used Kitaro as a side show freak to up his career . But in ep 2 Medama Oyaji rectifies that error . But I would have been happier if Kitaro would have done it instead . This Kitaro is dark cynical and in his own right a sadist .

I wouldnt call him evil but a bringer of misfortune eh oO ( Am I being too critical I dont know )

Quote:
After the character design change, the story itself was also shifted towards the whole "Kitaro of justice will defeat all bad Youkai" idea which actually helped increase the series' popularity. Then in 1968 when the Manga series was turned Anime, they decided to change the title too because "Hakaba (Graveyard)" sounded too dark so they made it "Gegege".
It was a pleasant shock from Yokai super hero to uninterested protagonist . I can understand a little why the intial Kitaro was not that sucessful . Though I am still undecided on which Kitaro I like better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Just watched the first two episodes; I like it. Hopefully the subs will continue where GeGeGe was dropped. Just based on the the first ep of the 2007 series and these two episodes, I like this series more. This one is a lot less shounen-y than the last. The art style is very fun.
Yeah I hope this series becomes popular and its orignal version gets subbed . GeGeGe has alot more simpler theme than Hakaba , but I really enjoyed the first ep from 2007 GeGeGe . Being a Yokai Supernatural anime lover it would be the best gift, if some one would sub GeGeGe Kitaro .

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2008-01-27 at 21:44.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 00:19   Link #58
gaguri

I didn't hate it but I don't think it's that good either. Nothing grabbed me except for its 'unique' style. Creepy? Funny? Dramatic? It was none of those for me, with characters and a story I cared very little for.

By the way, people might want to check out a show called Requiem of the Darkness for similar style and premise. Actually the premise is closer to Mononoke in that they both examine darker human nature that is responsible for what seems to be supernatural phenomenon. It has its flaws but I'd personally recommend that over this. This of course is coming from me who has seen only two episodes of Hakaba, so meh.
Old 2008-02-02, 07:46   Link #59
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Well, might as well post my thoughts on the series so far...

Hakaba Kitaro is pretty much as everyone pointed out, the adult version of Gegege no Kitaro. However, there is still those elements that are present that would make this appeal to younger kids, despite the overall more mature tone of the series.

Episode 1 and 2, so far, rank the best episodes so far. They give a rather eerie atmosphere to the series, as well as some light weclomed comedy. However, I honestly didn't like episode 3 all that much.

There was just something missing, but I couldn't point my finger on it. The whole story surrounding Trump was a little bit interesting, but... Something just didn't feel right. The idea of the entire episode, was I thought the Blood Sucking Tree would kill it's victom. Given Trump become more of an alcoholic because he thought he was going to die... But I don't understand why Trump decided to get immediate medical attention to remove it in the first place though...

Then, the one thing I didn't quite understand, was why Trump came out alright at the end of the episode. Another thing I'm a little confused about is how he was half his size at the end of episode 3, then his normal size in episode 4. I might have missed a piece of importent dialogue in episode 3, but I can't recall anything being mentioned about the size difference.

At anyrate, episode 4 goes back to the same quality as the first two episodes. It was interesting to see that Neko turned into a cat whenever she smells a rodent. We also get to see a more softer side of Kitaro, despite the previous episodes where Kitaro is a bit sadistic. Although, I'm unsure as to whether or not it's just simply because Kitaro has a crush on Neko.

However, my favorite portion of the episode, and I'll have to say it is the insert song halfway through the episode. To be honest, the song seriously feels out of place with the show, but it's a nice breakaway from the general atmosphere of the show. Certainly one of the high points of the episode.

I'm also rather curious about the other Kitaro that popped into the episode. While we didn't get much information about him in this episode, he thinks of Kitaro as an obstical. I wonder why...

Regardless, I feel bad for Neko, and even a bit towards Kitaro, because of what happens to Neko at the end of the episode.

Spoiler:

I'm really looking forward to the next episode. Hopefully we get more information about the fake Kitaro...
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 08:41   Link #60
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Xcomp firstly I was wondering where were you ? As you were the only person actively watching raws of GeGeGe and informing us
I've kind of dropped the remake series now because it doesn't quite have the same feeling as I remember the series. It feels a bit too modernised such as seeing all the Nintendo Wiis and Nekomusume fan service in the show.

Quote:
Why I used this term 'Evil' was, how he abandoned his adopted father in hell . He did warn him but still for raising and feeding him he was in a way obligated to that man . As the adopted father was researching paranormal he could easily used Kitaro as a side show freak to up his career . But in ep 2 Medama Oyaji rectifies that error . But I would have been happier if Kitaro would have done it instead . This Kitaro is dark cynical and in his own right a sadist .

I wouldnt call him evil but a bringer of misfortune eh oO ( Am I being too critical I dont know )
You're right but I guess he's still learning to be "human". Humans themselves can do harsh things TBH

Quote:
It was a pleasant shock from Yokai super hero to uninterested protagonist . I can understand a little why the intial Kitaro was not that sucessful . Though I am still undecided on which Kitaro I like better
Yes, I never knew about Hakaba Kitaro until my friend told me about it (haven't been paying attention to new Anime releases). I thought it was just some subtitle then I saw this and thought, "Kitaro doesn't look like this!". Now I know Kitaro went through a number of changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by plzd0ntkeelme View Post
Gotta wonder about Kitaro's vest, tho'. Does it mean that Kitaro forever can't die as long as he wear the vest? I don't really like that kind of cheap powers.
Spoiler for vest:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiGoku View Post
Well, might as well post my thoughts on the series so far...
You're making me feel like downloading the RAWs now which means I could also end up blogging about them in the end. But no, I think Persona Trinity Soul and Rosario + Vampire is taking up enough time already just now. English subs means I don't have to feel obliged to "document" the episodes to share the stories early

Tags
comedy, horror, noitamina, shounen, supernatural, wierd