AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 49 31.61%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 31.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 34 21.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 9.68%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.58%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.65%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.65%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.29%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-14, 05:31   Link #41
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Why do I feel a yandereish vibe from that pic?
Because two of Mai Nakahara's roles came to fame for their emo facial distortions?
Old 2008-03-14, 06:10   Link #42
Deathscyther

Nice episode

The side-characters were given bigger roles than in the game and I'm all for that. The pacing was quite nice as well, and I do like that they explained how Nagisa found out about Akio and Sanae's pasts.

The first few minutes had quite a lot of 'fanservice' with Kotomi, Ryou and Kyou stretching and such

Can't wait for next episode.
Old 2008-03-14, 06:48   Link #43
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Watched the TWH-Sprocket sub of Episode 21.

The first few minutes just about turned my brain to mush.

Otherwise, pretty slow episode with little going on. 8/10.

Blog article coming tonight.
Old 2008-03-14, 07:00   Link #44
Ruhisu
Tomoyo/Kotomi/Fuko fan

This episode leaves big misteriours atmosphere because Nagisa finds out the past of her parents so we don't know how she will handle her play.
Old 2008-03-14, 07:29   Link #45
Kristen
*Author

This was another very nice episode. It portrays a very warm sort of feeling, a lot how 20 did.

Well, first, did anyone notice the notebook at 17:56? It says on it "Hikarizaka High School Drama Club". So, this story takes place somewhere called Hikarizaka, since I cannot see them naming the high school after anything else.

It was interesting seeing everyone recite that tongue twister in unison. All the various voices meshing together, it was just perfect! Very symbolic of how everyone has joined forces for one very nonsensical girl.

Kotomi-chan actually made a couple non-filler comments this week, which was good. And, I'll have to wait for the screentime post, but I think this was enough to leap her over Fuuko.

Really, I'm finding this adaptation of the drama club to be better than the game itself. It's showing Nagisa with support, instead of trying to conquer something alone with just her boyfriend and some doofus who decided to come along. I find it to just be more powerful, and more beautiful.

And glasses Tomoyo really looks like a grandmother, thanks to her grey hair.

Anyways, 9/10. This episode was nice and beautiful, a lot like a largo in a symphony, but I thought it was moving a little too slow at times.
Old 2008-03-14, 07:55   Link #46
Takuto19
Yarrrr

9/10 for me.

Was a great episode but never had the feeling that some other episodes did, really enjoyed it though and looking forward to next weeks, 3 episodes left and doesn't look like there going to do any After Story at all.
Old 2008-03-14, 08:38   Link #47
Sammich
Crazy Quoting Machine

Great episode.. Only they cut off the picnic >.<
I was hoping a certain part of the game would be animated but I was wrong, sadly. :P
I bet the Megane Tomoyo pictures are flying around as I'm writing this..
Spoiler for More spoilery comments for people who haven't seen 21 yet:

Oh, and the camerangle after the OP with Ryou and Kotomi certainly was.... interesting. >.>
And WHAT is Akio... err, smoking, at around 6 minutes into the episode? o.0

Last edited by Sammich; 2008-03-14 at 08:56.
Old 2008-03-14, 08:54   Link #48
arkxkra
全力全開

Spoiler for :

looking forward to next episode.
Old 2008-03-14, 09:23   Link #49
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Meganekko Tomoyo = <3. Almost up to Kotomi in my moe meter again lol.

But really though, I dunno, but I feel so detached to both Tomoya and Nagisa now. Heck, that applies to all characters but Sunohara, who didn't get screentime. So yeah, I was half bored watching this episode. And if the next episode has something drastic happening, I dunno if I would actually feel anything at all to these characters. Oh well, nothing to do but wait and see.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-03-14, 10:28   Link #50
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Please do not watch Clannad thinking it is another tear-inducer like AIR or Kanon, it is not. If you think it is, of course you will be justifiably disappointed, because you're looking at it from a different perspective which is not what the creators have intended.

Though if you're just looking for a good story to tell, regardless of it being happy or sad, then Clannad is a safe bet for you.

The first few minutes with the camera angles on Ryou and Kotomi was, interesting. And finally, we get to see Megane Tomoyo FTW.

They're no doubt saving Tomoya's confession for Nagisa for the climax at the end of next episode, though in the game, they're already hanging out together for sometime.

Unlike the game, the Drama Club now certainly look more like a school club with Kyou, Ryou and Kotomi involved. Guess you need at least 5 people for a school club to be decently lively, much like the "infamous" SOS Brigade.

It was the most unfortunate of coincidences that led Nagisa to find out about her parents sacrificing their dreams for her, no doubt shaking her confidence greatly just before she was about to fulfill her dream of performing for the Drama Club. Poor girl.

(BTW, doesn't Sanae-san look incredibly young in one of the photos carrying baby Nagisa? She hardly ages. Neither does Akio, for that matter. )
Old 2008-03-14, 10:34   Link #51
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Glasses *drool*
Glasses are so sexy *drool*
Tomoyo looks so

The tongue twister training session was mad. I hope they release the out takes to them trying to record that

I am fearing a power tear fest next epi, I'm going to make sure I got plenty of snot rags ready...
Old 2008-03-14, 11:24   Link #52
Bankai29
Evenkurga wanna-be

Tomoyo and Sanae = HAWTTTTTTTTT
Old 2008-03-14, 11:29   Link #53
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-03-14, 11:44   Link #54
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
Nagi......got patted on the head......like a little kid/dog...by an underclassman. I find that weird.
Weird? I always thought patpat was rather normal... I like patting and being patted. It feels nice

However, it IS easy to forget that Nagisa is actually two years older than Tomoyo!

Whatever leh, this episode very touching one ^^ (I give it 8 because at my university, a 70% is A or first class honours, the average mark is around 55% and maybe 5 people out of 100 get 80% or more.)
Old 2008-03-14, 11:44   Link #55
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmm... I wonder why some people are criticizing the episode for being slow pased and uneventful. I myself would praise the character for being slow pased, and slice-of-life'ish uneventful. CLANNAD isn't an action flick, and while we might argue it is drama based and drama asks for things to happen on a more frequent basis, I'd say that drama is not the main theme CLANNAD revolves around. In the school arc it is something much more simple, yet much more meaningful, and that is growing up. Growing up is much more about sharing your memories with the people around you through day-to-day, common, simple events, and IMHO the episode succeeded at showing so.
Old 2008-03-14, 11:46   Link #56
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Why do I feel a yandereish vibe from that pic?
Spoiler for length's sake:

I don't think she's going to pull a Ryugu Rena (who's also voiced by Nakahara Mai). Her personality just does not seem right for this.

Not to mention, if she were this nutso, After Story wouldn't even take place.

--Ian.
Old 2008-03-14, 11:56   Link #57
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Blog article is up:

[RIUVA] CLANNAD (TV), Episode 21

Warning: May contain traces of sociological rambling.
Old 2008-03-14, 12:01   Link #58
kininku buster
I wanna be Itou Makoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Weird? I always thought patpat was rather normal... I like patting and being patted. It feels nice

However, it IS easy to forget that Nagisa is actually two years older than Tomoyo!

Whatever leh, this episode very touching one ^^ (I give it 8 because at my university, a 70% is A or first class honours, the average mark is around 55% and maybe 5 people out of 100 get 80% or more.)
When I had met a girl at my job a few years ago I used to do the same thing. But she was 2 years older than me (she was 22) and she didn't like that at all.
Old 2008-03-14, 12:06   Link #59
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Hmm... I wonder why some people are criticizing the episode for being slow pased and uneventful. I myself would praise the character for being slow pased, and slice-of-life'ish uneventful. CLANNAD isn't an action flick, and while we might argue it is drama based and drama asks for things to happen on a more frequent basis, I'd say that drama is not the main theme CLANNAD revolves around. In the school arc it is something much more simple, yet much more meaningful, and that is growing up. Growing up is much more about sharing your memories with the people around you through day-to-day, common, simple events, and IMHO the episode succeeded at showing so.
The fact that they made what I'm thinking is supposed to be an emotional scene at the end in such a slow pace overall killed a lot of dramatic reaction.

Not to mention I really don't get why Nagisa would be so hung up about this. I guess that is where she needs to be growing up.
Old 2008-03-14, 12:13   Link #60
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I didn't think the end of the episode with Nagisa's discovery of her parents' past was slow-paced at all. It was understated, to be sure, but to good effect. It gave the audience time to imagine their own notion of how Nagisa would react as she came to discover the journal and albums, what with the whole blatant Chekhov's gun and all.
Closed Thread