AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-12-19, 06:10   Link #41
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

IGN gives anyone a good score if they can afford it. I mean, what?

I have only played a little of MW2, so most of my exposure comes from a boatload of disappointed fans who were expecting the world and failed to get it. So yeah that would definatly fit the overrated context.

MW1 was pretty good though, but really all CoD games are similar. I'll remember the first fondly. I kinda remember it getting panned a bit cause it was short too.
Old 2009-12-19, 06:15   Link #42
paladinenvec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Never bother with game magazine/site rankings. They always give "big name" titles like FF a 9 or better.
I used to see them often but i noticed a little too late that those sites are sold beforehanded to particular games, i wonder how much companies pay to websites to gave their games an overrated score... xD.
Edit
Quote:
IGN gives anyone a good score if they can afford it. I mean, what?

I have only played a little of MW2, so most of my exposure comes from a boatload of disappointed fans who were expecting the world and failed to get it. So yeah that would definatly fit the overrated context.

MW1 was pretty good though, but really all CoD games are similar. I'll remember the first fondly. I kinda remember it getting panned a bit cause it was short too.
Yes that's what im talking about ,the scores of websites are overated and by that fans/ppl get overhyped(partly by trailers and previews too)
they buy the game thinking "Omfg this will be awesome" 3 hours later it happens one of 2 things : "fuck this game was so good... eh its already the end! give me back my 50 bucks!" (CoD,GoW) or "Wth this is shit!"(FFXII) and then they go to the forums and bitch about it (the "lol" part).
paladinenvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 11:42   Link #43
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

to me MW2 is great in single player and blows in multiplayer.
Old 2009-12-19, 14:35   Link #44
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
to me MW2 is great in single player and blows in multiplayer.
Its quite the opposite for me, I really like the multiplayer and special ops is awesome. Single player is just amazingly easy even though it was my first Call of Duty game and it was on veteran straight away.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 15:21   Link #45
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

MGS4 imho was wildly overrated.

Dont get me wrong I adore metal gear in general but I felt a little short changed after playing through number 4...

Especially on the second playthough when I just ended up skipping all the cutscnes which really showed the shortness in games overall length.

Also having to reinstall every level again everytime you finish it, who thought that was a good idea ?

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 15:25   Link #46
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

Dont get me wrong I adore metal gear in general but I felt a little short changed after playing through number 4...

Especially on the second playthough when I just ended up skipping all the cutscnes which really showed the shortness in games overall length.
I completely agree.

Quote:
Also having to reinstall every level again everytime you finish it, who thought that was a good idea ?
Also, when I decided to play the game after while of not playing it, I suddenly found I had to wait for it to re-install again. Not exactly fun when all you wanna do is pick up a controller and pop some heads.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 15:30   Link #47
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

While we're on the subject of mgs4 the plot is in no way as newbie friendly as alot of people made it out to be.

Hell i've played through almost every metal gear game released and even I had trouble keeping up at some points.

That said its still a great game and I did enjoy it but theres no way it was 100% 10/10 GOTY material.

Old 2009-12-19, 15:52   Link #48
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Bioshock is another overrated game, especially by the press. They were all over it when it came out.
Old 2009-12-19, 18:02   Link #49
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:

just wait until Metal Gear Raising
Old 2009-12-19, 18:16   Link #50
Oppius
Banned

Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 3. Clearly don't deserve the praises it have.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 18:25   Link #51
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

IF anyone even dares mention army of two can go shoot them selfs. that game was a masterpeice, and so will #2
Old 2009-12-19, 18:59   Link #52
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
IF anyone even dares mention army of two can go shoot them selfs. that game was a masterpeice, and so will #2
Get off my internets.

Anyway Rising has had absolutely no info released at all which is worrying.

Unlike the peacewalker team they're keeping their cards extremely tight to their chest so either its something special or its complete tosh...

Old 2009-12-19, 19:06   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The "over rate" of many games ..... often it isn't the game itself but the DRM that cripples and damages it. When half of a game's forums are trying to address issues and crashes directly related to DRM - it tends to leave gamers wondering why anyone enjoyed the game.

I try to avoid SecuRom in particular.... there's a rootkit called Gameguard many asian MMO imports use - it should also be avoided (requires a special set of steps not provided by the vendor to extract from your computer after you delete the game).
Old 2009-12-19, 19:28   Link #54
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I try to avoid SecuRom in particular.... there's a rootkit called Gameguard many asian MMO imports use - it should also be avoided (requires a special set of steps not provided by the vendor to extract from your computer after you delete the game).
Ugh... don't remind me. That stuff basically qualifies as spyware. Though the early incarnations of Norton were even worse. You literally had to boot secure mode and manually remove every map related to Norton. And I'm not even sure that cleared everything.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 23:12   Link #55
Atmospheric
Dango Time~

H A L O 3. Yes? I don't see whats so great about it, the whole franchise for that matter.
Atmospheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 23:34   Link #56
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:

MGS 4 isn't that great, yeah. I am also a big Metal Gear fan. I like MGS 4. It is rather good. For the MGS games, I'd rank it 3rd, however. I'd rank them like this: MGS 3, MGS, MGS 4, MGS 2. Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence (that version) is easily in my top 3 for games. Some days, I'd call it my number one game, too. I love that game. It is also the underrated MGS game out of all four of them. It also got the lowest scores by the press (by average). Sucks. The original MGS is a classic. MGS Twin Snakes I'd rank along with MGS 2. Better graphics and gameplay, but they botched everything else (the presentation, the execution of the cinematics, Snake's voice; those are some examples).

I also think Halo is overrated (the series). It is a good series, but it just has such ridiculous amounts of praise. I think Halo 1 made such an impact because it was the first time an FPS which matched up to a PC FPS hit consoles. And it also gave console gamers a taste of LAN parties. Halo 1 might be only a little overrated. Halo 2 is overrated by a bit more. It made a big impact by giving console gamers the first taste of great online multiplayer. Halo 3 is definitely overrated. Didn't really bring anything new to the console table. Things lost steam by this point.

FF XII is overrated, I think, too. It is a solid and good game. But it isn't a great FF game, IMO. It gets bashed a lot, which I basically agree with. It did get great ratings, and I think it should have got more mid 8s for scores then mid 9s. I mean, the main producer of the game even had to leave early in development of the game, and you can tell his presence leaving the project had an impact on the game. It was a decently good game, but it wasn't too good for an FF game, as I said. I spent so much time level grinding and collecting loot, and then when I beat the game, I felt like I spent a few dozen more hours level grinding then I really should have. It wasn't worth all the hours I put into it.
Old 2009-12-20, 08:05   Link #57
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Have you played Bayonetta yourself?
Of course he didn't, read the PS3 thread if you want to see how his Bayonetta sucks argument started.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 12:56   Link #58
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence (that version) is easily in my top 3 for games. Some days, I'd call it my number one game, too. I love that game. It is also the underrated MGS game out of all four of them. It also got the lowest scores by the press (by average). Sucks.
You know why that is? It wasn't overhyped as a system seller, unlike MSG2 and MGS4. The original one got great ratings because it was new and good.
Old 2009-12-20, 13:39   Link #59
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Urzu 7 was MGS3 subsistence the version with the awesome monkey capture minigame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I also think Halo is overrated (the series). It is a good series, but it just has such ridiculous amounts of praise. I think Halo 1 made such an impact because it was the first time an FPS which matched up to a PC FPS hit consoles. And it also gave console gamers a taste of LAN parties. Halo 1 might be only a little overrated. Halo 2 is overrated by a bit more. It made a big impact by giving console gamers the first taste of great online multiplayer. Halo 3 is definitely overrated. Didn't really bring anything new to the console table. Things lost steam by this point.
The first is the only one that really deserves any praise and it sold the xbox to me (an avid ps2 fan) way back then.

Number 2 was definatly the weakest, most overhyped and most dissapointing in all.

The third was definatly a better effort and put right a few wrongs but it was still heavily hyped and just didnt add enough new in the end.

Edit: thanks to those who neg repped me for no real apparent reason =s

Last edited by Drake; 2009-12-20 at 13:48. Reason: Spelling.
Old 2009-12-21, 06:49   Link #60
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

How the hell is Halo overrated? Everyone cries about how bad it is. It's like calling Wii Sports overrated sure everyone is playing it, but that doesn't mean they think it's the best game evar. Sure Halo3 didn't bring anything new, but hands down one of the best 4 player game you can find. 4 people on bench playing online is mad fun.

Not mention the singleplayer campaign is pretty good definitely better then say whatever Call of Duty brought to the table.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote