Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-12-17, 08:12   Link #581
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
I think I'll have a heart attack if I finally see a show that doesn't have the same cringy stereotype "corset" scene. And if Fern hasn't been wearing a pair of bodies (the English medieval name for what we'd call a corset today), what in the world has she been wearing for bust support. I guess she's just been free birding.
Wanted to say the same thing about corsets but it is a so familiar cliche that trying to point it out is futile nowerdays.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-17, 13:53   Link #582
Frontier

Quote:
I think I'll have a heart attack if I finally see a show that doesn't have the same cringy stereotype "corset" scene. And if Fern hasn't been wearing a pair of bodies (the English medieval name for what we'd call a corset today), what in the world has she been wearing for bust support. I guess she's just been free birding.
I was just reminded of Sei in "The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent" and all the scenes of her getting forced into corsets .
Old 2023-12-18, 14:17   Link #583
Shadow5YA

Quote:
That's not true. While we might have more physical examples of bodies or stays worn by nobility, lower class women also wore stays /bodies, or stiffened fabric, or would add boning directly to garments depending on the time period. Stays or wearing stiffened garments to support the bust and torso wasn't just unique to England.
"Depending on time period" goes both ways.
They've existed for centuries, so of course there's going to be a point where they become more widespread.

Regardless, it doesn't disprove my point that bodies/stays were not always commonplace. Early ones back in the 16th centuries required expertise from a tailor that only the upper class would've had access to.

This is starting to stray a little from the main topic anyway, so I'll just point back to Fern's upbringing. Aside from the blue winter dress she got from the Graf, she's been wearing the same loose-fitting outfit as when she was a kid living with Heiter.
I think proving that she's been wearing a stay all this time is a stretch, so it makes sense that she wouldn't be used to wearing one in this episode.
She went from her usual loose attire to a very tight one. It's not that complicated.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-19, 07:31   Link #584
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Amazing episode. No wonder it involved three directors and research of dances. The whole dance scene involving Fern and Stark dancing had no cgi at all and it was instead made handdrawn.
Old 2023-12-19, 08:34   Link #585
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
...so I'll just point back to Fern's upbringing. Aside from the blue winter dress she got from the Graf, she's been wearing the same loose-fitting outfit as when she was a kid living with Heiter.
It's a convention in anime production, once they depict a character in a given outfit they rarely change it even if long periods of time pass in the story. Similarly, Frieren has been wearing the same pair of boots for going on a hundred years. They have really lasted (pun intended).
Old 2023-12-19, 09:45   Link #586
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

P.A. Works, for example, likes to play dress-up with their characters. But yeah, often it is just for convinience as drawing to many character outfits is extra work both in manga and anime.
Old 2023-12-19, 11:33   Link #587
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
P.A. Works, for example, likes to play dress-up with their characters. But yeah, often it is just for convenience as drawing to many character outfits is extra work both in manga and anime.
There's also the advantage of re-using previously-drawn images of characters in succeeding episodes if their costumes and outfits (and hairstyles) stay the same.
Old 2023-12-20, 13:58   Link #588
Shadow5YA

Old 2023-12-20, 14:06   Link #589
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
It's a convention in anime production, once they depict a character in a given outfit they rarely change it even if long periods of time pass in the story. Similarly, Frieren has been wearing the same pair of boots for going on a hundred years. They have really lasted (pun intended).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
P.A. Works, for example, likes to play dress-up with their characters. But yeah, often it is just for convinience as drawing to many character outfits is extra work both in manga and anime.
That advantage only applies if the character's proportions remain the same, like Frieren. Even in her case, she still technically got different outfits for when Flamme was alive, to when she was secluded in the forest.

Fern's proportions as a kid living with Heiter were completely different compared to now, so I think the decision to keep her outfit the same is deliberate for reasons other than just convenience.
Considering Stark didn't have the same clothes as a kid, I think it's more likely that Fern keeps the same clothes for sentimental reasons.
Old 2023-12-20, 14:32   Link #590
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

That's one reason that shows with high-school students in uniforms are common. It limits the number of costume changes considerably.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-20, 20:44   Link #591
Shadow5YA

Sure, but that doesn't apply in this case. Fern isn't wearing a uniform.
Old 2023-12-22, 08:42   Link #592
Shadow5YA

Tweet from the official anime twitter stating that today's episode will be the last time Yoasobi's "Yuusha" opening song will be playing:

https://twitter.com/Anime_Frieren/st...54517890478380

Quote:
今日よる1️⃣1️⃣時から
『葬送のフリーレン』放送

ここまで毎週のスタートを飾ってくれていたOPテーマ「勇者」#YOASOBI が今日アニメではラストのオンエアとなります。最後までお楽しみください
YOASOBI さん、ありがとうございました
Old 2023-12-22, 09:21   Link #593
kari-no-sugata II

There's lots of very nice fanart out there. I particularly like the ones with modern clothing...

Images
high fashion
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
street fashion

Images
hero slayer
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-22, 09:51   Link #594
Shadow5YA

Trailer for the First Class Mage Certification arc starting on 1/05.
Since today is the last episode for the cour, that means there will be a break next week.

Old 2023-12-22, 10:03   Link #595
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I know a lot of people that said "Yuusha" fits pretty bad to this series, but if it is a new OP in the PV, it sounds generic as hell and is even less fitting.
Old 2023-12-22, 11:05   Link #596
GDB

Looks like the new OP does start playing half way through. A song by Yorushika, think it's called "Haru"? It does feel kind of generic, but that isn't necessarily bad depending on how the final arrangement is.

Few thoughts: didn't realize that one girl had green hair, but going back to check it looks like it has been colored as such. Also glad to hear the voice of that one character with the feathery necked jacket, as in the manga I had the impression of him being a woman for quite a while.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-22, 11:44   Link #597
Frontier

That was a sweet flashback between Sein and his old best bud from their childhood days! Also, magic photos !

I love how Frieren could totally say somewhere for a decade and Fern has to keep insisting that they can only stay for a week at most like a total buzzkill .

It's not often Frieren gets to meet someone from her past who is still around, someone she can still talk to about the past, which makes it all the more important when Old Man Voll is still kicking and acting more senile than he really is, being still just as experienced and capable a warrior. And now he's Stark's new teacher !

Old Man Voll had his own poignant experience with Himmel, having revealed that he stayed behind to protect the village in honor of his human wife, even if he doesn't remember her anymore. But the feeling is still there, and Himmel acknowledged that, which lead Voll to acknowledge Himmel as well .

Honestly I don't think Frieren minds having Himmel's handsome poses memorized the way she wistfully smiles, but she still remembers his face and words. It's not something she thinks she could ever forget, but even Voll forgets pieces of the woman he loved, and he genuinely is turning senile, which is a little sad. But Frieren was able to let him dream of his wife again, which made it all worth it .

Stubborn old woman sidequests! The staple of any JRPG quest! And she's voiced by Fumi Hirano! And she keeps the cast quite busy !

Having a name like "Gorilla Warrior" is definitely pretty hardcore, especially with his best bud Goatee Priest. The best part is Heiter is the one who dubbed Sein by that epithet .

Oh snap, a statue of Kraft from his adventuring days! And his partner that probably only he still remembers! Not only did that statue inspire Gorilla Warrior but it's still maintained in that village to this day! People may have forgotten about Kraft and his companion, but some lingering presence of their heroic journey still lingers .

Uh oh! Sein has a lead to his buddy, but it takes him on a separate path from Frieren and co. I'm not ready to see them part .
Old 2023-12-22, 11:45   Link #598
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Also glad to hear the voice of that one character with the feathery necked jacket, as in the manga I had the impression of him being a woman for quite a while.
I think you're the first person I've ever seen who has thought that Wirbel is a girl
Old 2023-12-22, 13:11   Link #599
Twi

Kraft was a hero who came before all of them and his name has been forgotten to all even if the statues remain. No wonder he turned to faith.
Old 2023-12-22, 14:08   Link #600
TURI123456

I think people take the wrong idea about Kraft and Voll those two are what will or could happen to Frieren in the end she going to forget her friends and people will forget her and her party eventually.

About the next opening song, I don't think we can judge the song before we hear it.
By the way, does someone know when the full version of the first opening song is out?
TURI123456 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy