AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-02-05, 12:13   Link #581
Norn
Dazed and Confused

Gotta hand it to trigger, making horn tapping cute/hot. I could see Oni's hairband with horns become a popular product like Hestia's ribbon was

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
What hospital? Even Mitsuru with all his injuries was put back in his bedroom and told to tough it up.

Except for that one line that Nana told Hiro to make him feel better, no one has heard of Naomi since. Bet she was quietly transported out.
Except Mitsuru was a stamen, so he gets some preferential treatment. Hiro, though not an official stamen, seems to have some worth. What that worth is we don't know, and Hiro himself believing that his own worth lies in whether he can pilot or not is making this more complicated. As Hachi clearly touched upon the point that Papa doesn't mind that Hiro can't pilot. What's up with that?

Speaking of Nana, I don't like her. I don't understand why, because I tend to not mind characters like her. But seeing Hiro disobey her felt cathartic somehow.

So we've seen Hiro get tired after riding Oni. He himself seems to think that his compatibility is great with her, but he also notes that she's slowly eating away at him. This makes me think that whatever special thing Hiro has is causing the decay to be slower than with other stamen. Let's not forget that there's only one person at APE who deems that stamen are dirtying Oni, and that stamen largely just seems to be okay with watching things play out. They're also willing to keep Hiro regardless of whether he can pilot or not, so he has some kind of use to them.

Lastly there's Oni herself. She's currently influencing Hiro, kind of dying him in her colors. But I think that she, in turn, is getting attached to Hiro. There may be a chance that he's going to influence her gradually, regardless of whether he does it voluntarily or not. What if she gets so attached to him that she doesn't want him to die? This would make the moment her decay reaches a critical point in Hiro. I think that critical point will change their relationship and Hiro's life, the question is: In what way?
Norn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-05, 13:25   Link #582
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The moving cities on a desert world filled with giant monsters really reminded me of Chrome Shelled Regios. Though for better or for worse, Hiro and Layfon have almost nothing in common.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-05, 14:00   Link #583
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I see lots of Final Fantasy referents in this show. The "destroying the planet by mining its resources" theme is the premise for Final Fantasy Vii. The circular "gardens" where kids are trained appear in FF VIII. Those gardens can also fly though they don't house cities.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-05, 14:14   Link #584
Twi

So many things have used those plot points they're not exclusive to games. I thought Chrome Shelled Regios with mechs at first.
Old 2018-02-06, 01:14   Link #585
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Man the tonal dissonance in this show is interesting. Pairing with the main female character literally kills you, but here it's treated as a huge triumphant moment that someone doesn't die after the second time. We're told Naomi went to the hospital, but then we see an active pilot left to recover outside of one. The Klaxosaur resemble the Noise of Symphogear more than they do actual animals. The Franxx look more like people than machine. On and on....there's a lot to unpack. There's a huge element of "something feels really wrong about all of this", to me, at least.

Also note the use of letterboxing again. Hrm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
We really got to appreaciate Trigger's animation style. Animating that giant monster without relying heavilly on CGI was just beautiful. It's almost a lost art these days
The entire fight, not just the monster. I realize CGI is becoming more prominent in anime but I appreciate when creators step back and let the hand drawn art speak for itself.
Old 2018-02-06, 02:36   Link #586
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Also note the use of letterboxing again. Hrm.
Hmm...many people keep pointing at this. Is it really that special? I mean, Katanagatari & Monogatari series frequently played with ratios. Heck, even Monster Musume & the now-airing Grancrest Senki also played with letterbox ratio in one of their episodes for comedic & dramatic effects. I think they just did it for the style.
Old 2018-02-06, 04:56   Link #587
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Everytime I see the Franx I can't help noticing how cartoonish their faces look in comparison to the actual people themselves, as if the kids' actual nature is being projected on the mech for all to see. Really jarring design but at least it takes up only a small portion of each ep.

Also hope they subvert the whole Ichigo/02 rivalry trope by having them come to an understanding in battle early or something. Pretty tiresome to see such shipping-war bait especially if it gets in the way of the main plot
Old 2018-02-06, 10:15   Link #588
Penpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Yeah, it does lol.

I think they are trying to sell something don't you think?
Penpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 11:16   Link #589
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

the part in the OP where a falling Hiiro is catch swallowed via the mouth cockpit of the animal form Strelitzia then turns into its humanoid form reminds me of something.............

Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 12:08   Link #590
Twi

I was thinking Fooly Cooly.
Old 2018-02-06, 17:37   Link #591
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Hmm...many people keep pointing at this. Is it really that special? I mean, Katanagatari & Monogatari series frequently played with ratios. Heck, even Monster Musume & the now-airing Grancrest Senki also played with letterbox ratio in one of their episodes for comedic & dramatic effects. I think they just did it for the style.
I don't know if it's special yet. But it is out of place compared to the rest of the show, which makes it notable at least for that. I'm not sure it's just for style. Things so far seem deliberate.
Old 2018-02-06, 17:42   Link #592
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I don't mind it so much for Monogatari since that was Shaft playing up "weirdness for the sake of weirdness" style that was in line with the source material. But I do think it feels kinda forced doing it for dramatic reasons. I've also seen it deployed for flashbacks which I'm also cool with.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 19:00   Link #593
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i like the explanation of the letter boxing being they're events from Hiro's point of view where he is a spectator or he feels like he's unable to make a difference in what is going on.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 19:20   Link #594
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penpa View Post
maybe we can find a razer brand in the credits!
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 22:01   Link #595
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
maybe we can find a razer brand in the credits!
Is Remington a sponsor?
Old 2018-02-07, 02:46   Link #596
Twi

Crunchyroll posted an article with some details on the character's mental states and thoughts.
Old 2018-02-07, 07:18   Link #597
EroKing

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-23 at 08:32.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-07, 09:03   Link #598
ScrewySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penpa View Post
My thought is taht the Klaxosaurs represent the difficulties of Puberty:

The first Klax was that initial onrush of hormones - the first voice crack in a guy for instance,

The second one represented Acne

the third one with its norelco look represented hair growth: peach fuzz on the chin, or *ahem* elsewhere...
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-07, 16:43   Link #599
LG-MAX 2.o

DARLING in the FRANKXX manga vol 1 sold in 3 days 51,926 copies, this can be considered an incredible success.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-07, 17:47   Link #600
Twi

It hasn't even been a month since it came out, so how are there enough chapters for a volume?