AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-07, 02:16   Link #581
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Episode 4:
- While Youto isn't completely dense, he still missed the "major" hints from Tsukiko ('course those hints are obvious from a watcher point of view). Though, he did notice that his swimsuit proposal might have gotten interpreted wrongly by her, so +1. And while his idea to turn onii-chan for Tsukiko's sake was with good intentions, it was a slap in the face with the pervy antics and ultimately Tsukiko's "vision".
- Tsukiko in christmas dress? Awww <3. Her twirling her hair around the finger was the expressionless version of dere-dere or being nervous. I felt sorry for her that she had such an baka-nee-san and was temporarily sister-zoned by Youto.
- A siscon nee-san + being an airhead (outside of academics it seems). I didn't find her funny or interesting in this episode. Her forced "antagonist" role/staying cold to towards Tsukiko just to be able to marry her later on was annoying. Just not my type of humor.
- Azusa? Not much to say as she didn't have much of an (important) role this time.

- I obviously missed/skipped that part, but why did his house disappear? I don't remember that he made a wish, unless the stone cat played a prank on him and interpreted his decalaration of become Tsukiko's "brother" to Steel King in this way.

Overall: Tsukiko made the episode enjoyable (the saving grace would be maybe too harsh in regards of the whole episode, but tendency in that direction) and seeing Youto serious, ignoring how "stupid"/funny the outcome of each situation turned to, was definetly nice to watch.
Old 2013-05-07, 03:30   Link #582
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
- I obviously missed/skipped that part, but why did his house disappear? I don't remember that he made a wish, unless the stone cat played a prank on him and interpreted his decalaration of become Tsukiko's "brother" to Steel King in this way.
They haven't explained it at all yet, so you didn't miss anything (it was an unexpected twist)... but I think your guess is probably on the right track. The only thing that's a bit weird is the timing because the house didn't disappear at the same time as the cat statue's powers did (that happened in the night one day, and he noticed his house was gone some evening a while later after they already realized that the statue's power was gone). So it's like whatever curse/spirit/magic was inhabiting the statue is still around and pulling tricks on them.
Old 2013-05-07, 06:27   Link #583
Silverwyrm

Spoiler for Comparison to the manga:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-07 at 16:31.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 08:33   Link #584
Gohan78
Awakened One

Was I supposed to laugh? It seems that I have lost my emotions like Tsukiko because I didn't find the plot twist in episode 4 one bit funny.

I know that Henneko is a comedy but with Azusa's story last episode the author demonstrated a certain degree of competency in handling character drama. Now, when I heard that the rift between the Tsutsukakushi sisters was due to a ridiculous misunderstanding, I facepalmed hard.

If I were Tsukiko now I would be too freaked out to live in the same house as my incestuous elder sister.
I also didn't like that Tsukiko refused to get back her expressions. Why? It's a cheap way to keep the character emotionless.

Not worthy of a drop but this episode certainly lowered my expectations for this show.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 12:09   Link #585
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
They haven't explained it at all yet, so you didn't miss anything (it was an unexpected twist)... but I think your guess is probably on the right track. The only thing that's a bit weird is the timing because the house didn't disappear at the same time as the cat statue's powers did (that happened in the night one day, and he noticed his house was gone some evening a while later after they already realized that the statue's power was gone). So it's like whatever curse/spirit/magic was inhabiting the statue is still around and pulling tricks on them.
I think it has to do with what someone else said earlier: he made a wish to not run away (presumably from Tsukushi) again, so I think the statue moved his house to the Tsutsukakushi sisters' property, meaning that he'll end up living with them for some time, until he can get to undo his wish.

It's also possible that Azusa now has possession of his house (since she lives in a relatively small apartment, and might like the extra space), and that he needs to live with her for the time being. In the case of the latter, that might give her renewed incentive to try and win him over, as I don't believe she has fully given up on him already.

The next episode will have to make that clear.
Old 2013-05-07, 12:16   Link #586
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

The made it look like he would be staying with Tsukiko, considering he was in a sleeping bag the the wooden floors seemed to mirror what we saw of the Tsutsukakushi house.
Old 2013-05-07, 13:18   Link #587
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeEntity View Post
The made it look like he would be staying with Tsukiko, considering he was in a sleeping bag the the wooden floors seemed to mirror what we saw of the Tsutsukakushi house.
I guess I missed that detail earlier on, then. It would make more sense if he stayed with Tsukiko. Now she can treat him as her personal pet.
Old 2013-05-07, 19:37   Link #588
Iron Maw
Banned

It make sense too because at least Yokodera won't have explain to her parents why he's staying over indefinitely.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 19:46   Link #589
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Not that Azusa's mom would mind him staying over
Old 2013-05-07, 20:05   Link #590
backbone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Now, when I heard that the rift between the Tsutsukakushi sisters was due to a ridiculous misunderstanding, I facepalmed hard.
Yeah, same here. All the drama built up turned out ridiculous and laughable, making the entire eps looked cheap and jarring (=_=).

Another pet peeve of mine being the status of Azuki Azusa. The last week she was still an important heroine, but she got sidetracked and ignored so abruptly. And it's hard for me to emphatize with her since her story got cut even before her character really grows on me.

I'm going to consider dropping this show if all these jarringness still remain intact on the next eps
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 20:07   Link #591
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
Yeah, same here. All the drama built up turned out ridiculous and laughable, making the entire eps looked cheap and jarring (=_=).
The first impression from the first episode -- I gave this series a 9. However, reasons to dock that rating have come already. All I have to say about that: Gosh darn it.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 20:36   Link #592
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I just lost all hype in episode 4...
why you should build something and let it down in the end with... umm.. dumb resolution

well, I respect Tsukiko's last decision by letting her nee-san to take her face's emotion though

I just hope Azuki Azusa will be the winner in the end...
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 20:38   Link #593
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Was I supposed to laugh? It seems that I have lost my emotions like Tsukiko because I didn't find the plot twist in episode 4 one bit funny.

I know that Henneko is a comedy but with Azusa's story last episode the author demonstrated a certain degree of competency in handling character drama. Now, when I heard that the rift between the Tsutsukakushi sisters was due to a ridiculous misunderstanding, I facepalmed hard.

If I were Tsukiko now I would be too freaked out to live in the same house as my incestuous elder sister.
I also didn't like that Tsukiko refused to get back her expressions. Why? It's a cheap way to keep the character emotionless.

Not worthy of a drop but this episode certainly lowered my expectations for this show.
Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about the "twist".
This show was riding high on my list this season, but I feel a bit wary now that I know it can pull weird stuff like this out of the blue.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 21:20   Link #594
Sol Falling

You guys should keep in mind that it's not the subject matter itself which is nonsensical, it's the presentation.
This is just another case of JC Staff fucking up an LN adaptation. I'm starting to think the only properties they can handle competently are SoL comedies without any plot development (granted, those are some of my favourite animes: Milky Holmes, Kill Me Baby, Joshiraku).

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-08 at 00:59.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 21:29   Link #595
Seitsuki
Onee!

Story? You guys were watching this for story? Deep, complex, well written plot? Edgy drama and angst or something?

Tsukiko best girl! Tsukiko Tsukushi OTP! What do you mean there's a dense harem lead in there as well, get him the **** out DFC banzai! Yuri banzai! Eh, Azuki Azusa is ok too. Kuudere banzai! Navels banzai! Banzai everything!
Old 2013-05-07, 22:46   Link #596
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Story? You guys were watching this for story? Deep, complex, well written plot? Edgy drama and angst or something?
What? What idiot here does that?!

Y'know. If the series ended up being devoted to Mr Hentai Prince chasing after Azusa for the whole series -- I would actually be happy with that. But alas, this is not the case.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 01:17   Link #597
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
You guys should keep in mind that it's not the subject matter itself which is nonsensical, it's the presentation.
This is just another case of JC Staff fucking up an LN adaptation.
I think it actually is the subject matter that is the more nonsensical. I mean, the way the whole thing was presented in the anime was pretty logical for what they were trying to do: keep things pretty serious (causing misunderstandings) and then resolve the whole thing with an incredibly facepalm-worthy gag. So, although I haven't read the novels or the manga, I don't know that the essential problem is in the "presentation" or that the writer "fucked up" (the show's had the same writer for all four episodes so far, who also did the story planning), it's the fact that the story set-up a serious problem and resolved it in a completely nonsensical way (on purpose). If you really want to maintain that it's a presentation problem, I'd really need to get a better understanding of how exactly you make the twist better when the whole point of it in the first place was a massive painful facepalm (the effects of which are being felt).

Now personally I thought the resolution was quite funny, and it sort of sets the tone for the characters going forward, but I can see why some don't like it so much. If they thought this was going to be a serious issue with a serious resolution, the episode basically "trolled them" with its serious mood and banal plot twist (that was, however, foreshadowed a little bit). I'm okay with this.
Old 2013-05-08, 01:20   Link #598
Sumeragi
Banned

The "problem" here is that Tsukushi is extremely clingy and gullible, beyond the usual standards we're used to.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 01:24   Link #599
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
The "problem" here is that Tsukushi is extremely clingy and gullible, beyond the usual standards we're used to.
..plus her transition from "bad" sister to siscon is too quick....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 01:25   Link #600
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Spoiler for Comparison to the LN:

...And many a doujin will be published because of this episode...
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, harem, romantic comedy, seinen, supernatural, tsundere