Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-12-21, 20:07   Link #601
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
If they were connected to the government, Yor wouldn't need to worry about the Secret Police arresting her. It's very possible Yor has been brainwashed/tricked into thinking what she's doing helps the country and she's actually working for the mob. I doubt she does much research on her targets, she just uses the information provided to her.
The targets she wiped so far were presented as bad guys by the author. The only exception is the terrorist organisation she partially wiped in one side story. But it is only cleared in the recent manga arc. Her organisation has ties to criminal world but they are also presented as relatively good guys.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-22, 00:47   Link #602
Frontier

I assume she's worried about the Secret Police because even if her targets had it coming, she's still effectively an assassin/murderer.
Old 2022-12-22, 03:56   Link #603
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I assume she's worried about the Secret Police because even if her targets had it coming, she's still effectively an assassin/murderer.
She may have standing orders to stay under the radar even if her bosses could, in theory, bail her out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Seems like there is plenty of necessity still. Her motivations may have started to provide necessary funds to keep her brother alive, but she obviously picked up additional reasons as time went on. Hardly seems like she just enjoys killing so much that she can't quit the job. Or that she fears being hunted down if she left. Not when she was unconcerned about taking on what she thought was the secret police.

Said herself in episode 3 that she believes the work she does helps the people of that city. So at the very least she seems certain her work is helping keep the peace. Loid and Yor seem to have very similar intentions. Just that her job always leads to bloodshed while his job only sometimes leads to bloodshed. Both seem very willing to do whatever it takes.

Yor's situation is interesting since it hasn't been explored very deeply. We don't really have a great grasp so far on the organization she's working for. Are they connected to the government? Are they just working under their own authority seeking to protect the state from "traitors?" Honestly, I don't know.

I don't expect she'll be sent after Loid anytime soon. Though it could happen near the end of the story for dramatic tension. No reason for Loid to be targeted by secret police or shadowy assassin organizations. Gives the appearance of a pretty normal and well liked psychologist. And Yor seems (from what we've seen) to be sent after concrete targets at specific locations. When no one can get a grasp on Twilight's identity or location she's probably not going to be sent after a mysterious spy called Twilight in the near future.
One could be charged with protecting the other's target.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-22, 07:42   Link #604
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
One could be charged with protecting the other's target.
Something like this or something similar will happen at some point, precisely when their relationship has progressed enough to wrench maximum drama from the situation.
Old 2022-12-22, 11:41   Link #605
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Yor being commissioned to kill Yuri would be an especially explosive situation.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-22, 19:01   Link #606
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Yor being commissioned to kill Yuri would be an especially explosive situation.
That's never going to happen for a multitude of reasons. Her handler must know better than anyone that Yuri is the only reason she became a hitman in the first place. Who would even want Yuri to be killed? He's just a random SS officer.
Old 2022-12-24, 12:05   Link #607
Frontier

It's time for the social gathering, and Twilight is determined to find an in to see Donovan Desmond and make progress on Operation Strix, no matter how insurmountable it may seem! Although it would help if Plan B worked !

Sneaky Anya is adorable .

Was that Tomoya Takagi or Natsuki Hanae as Demetrius Desmond? Either way, it doesn't sound like there's a lot of warmth in the Desmond brothers' relationship, but I guess Demetrius did pass along his younger brothers' message to their father, even if he didn't think Donovan would show .

Anya either comes off like a psychic or a stalker when it comes to Damian, but her words about how she loves her father and is open and honest with him despite not always knowing for sure if he loves her hits hard! Especially for Damian who has a lot of mixed feelings about seeing his father and learning how his father really feels about him .

Classic Anya falling asleep before the big encounter. I guess it also helps Donovan's air of mystery that we don't get to hear his thoughts and we get the priceless moment of Becky sticking with Anya to root for her "love" only to have Martha drag her back home when she falls asleep. Friendship goals !

There it is! The moment we've all been waiting for! Loid Forger makes his introduction and is all smiles to the one, the only, Donovan Desmond !

Sylvia is still wearing those tacky rings .

So what can we gleam from Donovan Desmond in this episode? He seems amiable and nice enough, but also seems to keep his deeper opinions and thoughts to himself and never appearing more than mildly bemused by anything. He's not a particularly affectionate person, it seems, and he seemed annoyed at Damian's insistence over his lack of reaction to Anya's punch, but he still showed up to see his son because he asked him too (even if it was just a whim) .

And there's also an interesting foil for Twilight...Donovan doesn't believe people can truly understand each other and connect, and we know Loid lives a life of masquerading and tricking people and isn't 100% honest with his own family (and they in turn with him), but believes that even if you don't fully understand someone like he does with Anya, there's still value in trying to connect with and be there for them .

Loid making Anya out to be really interested in Damian and is just a tsundere...don't get the boys' hopes up too much, Twilight! Although he finally admits out loud he wants to be friends with her !

I'm glad Anya's words were enough to get Damian to finally open up to his dad, and in his own way Donovan expresses pride for Damian and his accomplishments and wishes him to keep doing what he's doing as a Desmond man...and hopefully it's genuine, for Damian's sake .

The boys getting so pumped for Stella's was absolutely adorable !

Yor didn't get a lot to do in this episode, but that will be rectified in season 2! To be continued indeed !
Old 2022-12-24, 12:54   Link #608
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

They tease Cruise arc in the S2 promo. Yor fans should rejoice.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-24, 14:11   Link #609
Decel

I am pleasantly surprised by Donovan. He already seems to have the character depth of Sylvia and Loid, which I wasn't expecting since they're so rare.
Old 2022-12-24, 17:45   Link #610
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Wait was this the last episode?
Also to whoever thought this is WWII Germany, since I can't find it anymore.

Names, and general behavior of both sides point more towards West-and East Germany.

i.E. West Germany vs Soviet Germany. Just that they deliberately omitted how poor east Germany was, and that "berlint" would be divided into two pieces.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-24, 19:12   Link #611
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's really hard to get a read on Donovan. He at least remembered Damian got punched and bothered to show up to the meeting despite writing it off as a whim, so he may not be as cold as he appears.

I thought this season was an improvement over the first. Great all around. Where's my Yor's butt chapter though?
Old 2022-12-24, 19:57   Link #612
ryllharu

Quote:
Where's my Yor's butt chapter though?
My hopes now are that they use it as the core basis for the movie.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-24, 21:03   Link #613
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Donovan is definitely a tricky person to get a read on. He's certainly dangerous though. I think on a certain level he does absolutely believe in his stance of not trusting people. But it's clearly not 100%. He did actually take time to meet with his son. Can say he makes time for both sons in a sense, although going to that meeting very realistically had more political reasons than just spending time with his other son.

Loid showing his composure though during that conversation. Had to walk a fine line. Make himself interesting, but not so interesting that he's suspicious. And it was important on managing to dig a bit and learn what he could and even trying to support Plan B with telling some...helpful lies to keep Damian's crush going strong.

This meeting was a big one. It's something Loid has been building up for a long time towards. And it's honestly as good a start as he could have asked for. Even if Anya had miraculously gathered enough Stellas in time, this was still a pretty effective conversation.

I am glad we got season 2 already confirmed and the movie as well. There's a lot of fun left for this franchise. The first season was good overall. Of course it would have been nice if this episode had a bit more Yor in it, but it wouldn't have made sense to focus much on her for this specific moment so that's fine. Will look forward to season 2.
Old 2022-12-24, 21:06   Link #614
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-24, 21:28   Link #615
Random14

Nice summary of all the challenges of Operation Strix, not just infiltrating a high level gathering like that but actually trying to get intel from Desmond. He's... intense looking and hard to get a read on. Definitely someone to be wary of, but beyond that who knows. Twilight was probably already pushing it with the "coincidental" meeting, but at least this is progress in his mission. And Anya helped a lot too. Poor Damian, he's a good kid but his family sure is intimidating.

Its been a fun season, I'm happy that they reached the bigger arcs, from Bond joining the family to that ridiculous tennis tournament (and Nightfall's even crazier inner thoughts). Looking forward to them animating future chapters and more Loid, Anya and Yor.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-24, 22:49   Link #616
Frontier

Quote:
It's really hard to get a read on Donovan. He at least remembered Damian got punched and bothered to show up to the meeting despite writing it off as a whim, so he may not be as cold as he appears.

I thought this season was an improvement over the first. Great all around. Where's my Yor's butt chapter though?
And it seems like he was gauging Loid as much as Loid was gauging Donovan.

(Also, what's with those stitches on his head? War wounds?).
Old 2022-12-25, 13:45   Link #617
Gerard07

Having seen the episode, we saw a bit of Damian's family relationship, Loid was finally able to make contact with Donovan and Anya fell asleep XD, I think it was a good last episode of the season.
The anime has been entertaining and the good thing is that it will have a 2nd season and a movie ( i hopefully Yoru will have more prominence), to wait for more news.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-25, 15:48   Link #618
magnuskn

Well, I can't say that I liked this second cour as much as the first one, which was stellar. Too diffuse in its stories and I am simply not that interested in the school stories than the spy and assassin stuff.

Still, it's fun and heartwarming and sometimes unexpectedly some great action shows up.

So, still 8,5/10. Let's hope the next season (or movie in-between) has a bit more focus on the stuff I like.
Old 2022-12-25, 16:39   Link #619
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Where's my Yor's butt chapter though?
It's going to be part of the second season (my guess is that it will be the season premiere). It was confirmed in the trailer for it (the bit pertaining to Loid going on a date with Yor is actually from that chapter, not the cruise arc).
Old 2022-12-25, 19:01   Link #620
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Oh, there's a trailer for the next season already? I somehow didn't come across it. That's good to know! I loved that chapter, it's going to be even funnier voiced.

Tags
action, bondman, comedy, espionage, james bond, secret agency