AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-06, 17:30   Link #601
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Like others are saying the pacing is quite fast, but really only the people have already played the games will notice it. Yu summoned Izanagi rather early compared to the game as well, as in the game it doesn't actually awaken till his second time inside the TV. Still I was expecting it to have rather fast progression with just it just being two-cour though. Not really enough episodes to animate every last thing in the game, so I'm fine with it.

And Yu still doesn't talk much. Guess that's a throwback to how he's always silent in the game.

I noticed it shows Yu's social stats grid during the eyecatch...does that mean it's going to increase somehow throughout the episodes? Wonder how that will work...

Also like how they're using the game soundtrack. It is awesome music so no complaints here. Looking forward to seeing the actual OP next week and hearing the ED song.

Interested in seeing what the anime-only viewers will hypothesize in the future. Also I hope Persona gets a sub forum eventually too.
Old 2011-10-06, 17:38   Link #602
Bila
*Graphic Designer

Well the episode was a kinda fast, nway
Spoiler:
Old 2011-10-06, 17:44   Link #603
SidVicious
Anime addict

Loved the battle theme.
Old 2011-10-06, 17:54   Link #604
Godslayer
人間・失格

Woah, so this is what a too faithful of adaptation tastes like, it's like playing the game without the grinding
Solid 1st episode overall, I got the same chill when Narukami summoning Izanagi like I did with the simultaneous summoning at F/Z.
Godslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 17:55   Link #605
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
They reshuffled the beginning of the game to move the plot faster... P3 and P4 started rather slow. Soundtrack is basically same/similar to the games, as was Igor's voice, I heard the poor dude died recently.

Horie Yui as Chie and Nanako singing :3

The protagonist seems quite retarded. Oh! and during the battle (which I did not find short at all), it was like a fujoshi's wet dream...
Spoiler for scene from the first episode:

Anyway, my begest complain is that the character designs are a little bit off from the artbooks, but with 2 cours that is to be expected :/

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-10-06 at 21:53. Reason: Removed game hint
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 18:10   Link #606
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Yep, it's faithful to the source alright - though as many have said, pacing was a touch too fast. Granted, they've pretty much halved the amount of time it took to get to that point - so it was to be expected (and apart from anything else, the adaptation is trying to get through a 70+ hour game in the space of just under 11 - things will be cut, period).

Personally reckon a four-cour adaptation may have helped deal with the pacing problems (and given the popularity of the game, it wouldn't have surprised me either).

Anyway, they've certainly been faithful (nice touch to bring back Pursuing My True Self for the OP for this episode - as I said earlier, it definitely brings along that theme of being truly faithful to the game) - though there were some extra touches that certainly paid off (Yosuke with the concert tickets to give to Saki - that certainly wasn't in the game, but it gave a clear indication, to me, of what Yosuke thinks of her).

The poster Yu noticed in the car was another little touch that worked for me - certainly less brash and in your face compared with what was in the game (and in the effort of time saving, did a massive job).

Loved the game references (day changes, the personality grid), and the battle at the end was, contrary to others above me, about right in terms of time. The opening battle in the game (against the same foes) was seriously about that length of time too - there would have been no point in drawing it out. Izanagi eats those things for breakfast

Yep, definitely enjoyed it - some time saving measures worked, some didn't, but overall a good opening episode. Yu Narukami is definitely more shy than he was in my game - so some of the total scene cuts made a lot of sense.

Hopefully they can slow the pace down a little and this will be a quality anime.

7/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
The protagonist seems quite retarded.
I'd say that's more being a touch shy and trying to make sure he doesn't make any enemies in his first few days. He is a transfer student, after all.
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 18:18   Link #607
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I've played the game (actually, every Persona and Mega Ten game). My own views on the game is it's the best Persona game from a mechanistic standpoint, and the worst from a story standpoint. So, that's the perspective I'm watching this from. My thoughts, without spoilers:

1) I'm not a fan of the art style. It's hard to peg what, exactly, bothers me. But, I suspect it's the same thing that bugs me about the anime video sequences in both the Persona 3 and 4 video games (ie: they don't really match up to the in-game graphics). I'd likely have less issues if I had nothing to compare it to. From purely an art/animation point of view, this is definitely below that of Persona Trinity Soul, which for all its faults, art/animation was not one of them.
2) Igor's NA VA is much better than his Japanese counterpart, imo.
3) I dislike the main character's VA, because I always get a derp derp feeling listening to what I like to call the "puffy cheek" voice. It's very common in male protagonists in harem shows as they speak like they've got brain aneurysms. It's obviously very popular, but this isn't a harem show, so I'm a little less tolerant of that type of voice.
4) I thought the Teddy-Bear thing was annoying in the NA video game, but omg. Japanese Teddy-Bear thing. LoL. I'll refrain from getting into this due to possible spoilers, but I hope it eases up on...I don't even know what the right adjective would be to describe its voice. :/
5) Otherwise, I love most of the other VAs. I thought the NA VAs for the girls were to voice acting what Hadena is to fansubbing, so this wasn't a big surprise. And, I usually love Laura Bailey.
6) That said, whatever extra voiced the girl on TV getting interviewed...LoL. I don't think even inhaling helium can make you sound like that.
7) I liked that they made Yosuke a little less kiddy looking.
8) Yes, they're moving fast, but so what. It's a lot of months to cover, and do we really want to focus on all the minutia of all the filler days in the game?

Overall, as I already know the story, a lot of the impetus for watching is already gone, but I'll likely continue watching while I wait for Guilty Crown and Penguin Drum to come out. After no-show Wednesdays, I'm kind of starved for some anime when Thursdays roll around.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 18:22   Link #608
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

They fasten thing up?
Good.. That damn long prologue gonna be painful to watch if they moving with same pace as they did in game.
Old 2011-10-06, 18:26   Link #609
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

very good episode, i think everything got translated very well into anime, sure some thing were omitted, but nothing important( maybe the first encounter with izanagi), the only thing is that the main character design seemed a little inconsistent but was never bad so not such a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
The protagonist seems quite retarded.
well he was quite silent, but you saw his stats he has not the exppresion nor courage yet.
Old 2011-10-06, 18:33   Link #610
karuroso

It seems many of you guys haven't played the undubed version =O I thought it would be the contrary
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 18:59   Link #611
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuroso View Post
It seems many of you guys haven't played the undubed version =O I thought it would be the contrary
The dubbed version actually is very good. The voice acting and script is top notch, and I actually like most of the dub voices better than the originals. Plus, a good number of us can't read Japanese.
Old 2011-10-06, 19:14   Link #612
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

My inner fanboy has been satisfied. This is a better adaptation than I had initially anticipated.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 19:18   Link #613
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
That was a... really bad first episode. It's not even because it's rushed, it's because it went from--

=(
to
=)
to
=|

all in a span of 5 minutes. The direction is all over the place. They spammed sound effects like an Asian variety show. They also spammed background music way too much. Pretty disappointing start.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 19:28   Link #614
karuroso

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
Plus, a good number of us can't read Japanese.
Me neither >_> and undub = jap voices + eng text
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 19:37   Link #615
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuroso View Post
Me neither >_> and undub = jap voices + eng text
There's no such option in the game anyway unless you hack it yourself.

Speaking of voices I forgot to mention Chie's voice was actually pretty tolerable in this compared to The Ultimate in Mayonaka arena. I dunno where all that squeakiness went but I'm glad it's gone.
Old 2011-10-06, 19:50   Link #616
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Well the pacing was quick and there were noticeable amounts of QUALITY, but I still enjoyed it a lot. OST is awesome as usual, and who doesn't like the P4 cast? And Brotag at the end of the episode...unbuttoning his jacket...and that smile...
Old 2011-10-06, 19:58   Link #617
Godslayer
人間・失格

^I know right?
It's like he really awakens after he put his swag on, the girls would never know what hit them
Godslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 20:36   Link #618
Sciel
Etoilé

I loved all the stuff they reused from the game. The calender was pretty cool to see again. Also looks like they are keeping the stats system from the game which would make thing pretty interesting to say the least.

On the episode itself, i have no complaints really; the pacing is a bit off but expected. Most people think that the beginning of the game is incredibly boring and i can see why they tried to rush things.

Lastly, Yui Horie as Chie = so much win. Never really liked her with the english VA in the game but this one episode has changed my mind .
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 20:57   Link #619
Yuna Amakura

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
They also spammed background music way too much. Pretty disappointing start.
That I can't agree at all. For me, the best thing about this episode was the OST and its usage.
And I squealed like a fangirl when Reach out to the truth was played

Anyway, I think it was, let's say, a nice episode. After all, that prologue certainly does not work in a tv series, and it was pretty obvious they would end the episode with Izanagi so, yeah. Fast and a bit of oscillation in the animation department, but overall, good.
Yuna Amakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 21:01   Link #620
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Even if I didn't play the game, I would have thought this was too fast. The main character barely talks, he made friends way too quickly, there's no sense of danger or mystery because the pacing is faster than Code Geass R2's, and on top of that, I barely know a thing about any of the characters introduced in this episode. I don't even think the basics of their characters were formed that well, making them pretty boring.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy