AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-02-03, 19:37   Link #601
123456fred

Hi,

I'm really new to this stuff so please bear w/ me...

I have a MBP, running Leopard 10.5.1. I'm currently trying to watch an anime w/ softsubs w/ Mplayer OSX, which i have downloaded what i believe is the latest build by Nonezumi. I have installed it and have added the:

-ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig

but it causes the movie to crash immediatley after opening. When disabled, the movie plays fine, but with no softsubs.

I am not sure what do do, please help! Thank you!
Old 2008-02-03, 20:59   Link #602
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123456fred View Post
Hi,

I'm really new to this stuff so please bear w/ me...

I have a MBP, running Leopard 10.5.1. I'm currently trying to watch an anime w/ softsubs w/ Mplayer OSX, which i have downloaded what i believe is the latest build by Nonezumi. I have installed it and have added the:

-ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig

but it causes the movie to crash immediatley after opening. When disabled, the movie plays fine, but with no softsubs.

I am not sure what do do, please help! Thank you!
It's not likely to be the build off the front page of this thread then...

Copy and paste the last 15 or so lines of the error log and we'll have a look.
Old 2008-02-04, 01:08   Link #603
123456fred

Ok, I uninstalled my original mplayer, and downloaded the version from the frontpage, and installed from there. After i did that, everything worked like a charm!

The one i had before was this one: which i guess is different than the one from the front page... so i got confused... (what is the difference anyway?)

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=529

anyway, sorry for wasting peoples time! and thank you for helping me.

also: I couldn't not install the x11 thing because it told me that i had a newer version. I assume that this is ok, b/c everything is working fine. maybe the front page should be updated to show that leopard users do not have to install the x11 thing...? just a thought.

Thanks again!
Old 2008-02-04, 05:13   Link #604
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123456fred View Post
Ok, I uninstalled my original mplayer, and downloaded the version from the frontpage, and installed from there. After i did that, everything worked like a charm!

The one i had before was this one: which i guess is different than the one from the front page... so i got confused... (what is the difference anyway?)

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=529

anyway, sorry for wasting peoples time! and thank you for helping me.

also: I couldn't not install the x11 thing because it told me that i had a newer version. I assume that this is ok, b/c everything is working fine. maybe the front page should be updated to show that leopard users do not have to install the x11 thing...? just a thought.

Thanks again!
That build worked, but it still requires the installer from the first page, which I said in there

And yes, I agree that the front page should be updated to say that X11 isn't required for Leopard.
Old 2008-02-04, 14:15   Link #605
voxxchubbs

Guys please help me out with this. I've tried to use MPlayer through the command line, but I seem to be doing something wrong, because none of the commands that I input do anything. I tried via terminal, tried also opening the terminal within the MPlayer package. I've also tried different versions of MPlayer within this thread, and none of them worked. I guess it must be that I simply don't know what in the hell I'm doing with terminal or command line. My goal is to switch audio tracks in an .ogm file. Please, I know this is possible and its killing me that I have to watch .ogm files in crappy vlc subs >.<
Old 2008-02-04, 16:50   Link #606
Vavali

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtetsuo View Post
I had the same problem. To get the bar to disappear you need to select Mplayer as the video output.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
@ Vavali

The reason the bar is appearing is because you are using Quartz/Quicktime output. Try with the CoreVideo (BETA) output, and it'll disappear

-Andiyar
Ah, it seems to have worked. I had it in the Quicktime output because before, by having the output on MPlayer, it would crash all the time and not play anything at all, but when I tried it again on MPlayer, it just suddenly works now. So thanks again for the suggestions~
Old 2008-02-05, 12:09   Link #607
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxxchubbs View Post
Guys please help me out with this. I've tried to use MPlayer through the command line, but I seem to be doing something wrong, because none of the commands that I input do anything. I tried via terminal, tried also opening the terminal within the MPlayer package. I've also tried different versions of MPlayer within this thread, and none of them worked. I guess it must be that I simply don't know what in the hell I'm doing with terminal or command line. My goal is to switch audio tracks in an .ogm file. Please, I know this is possible and its killing me that I have to watch .ogm files in crappy vlc subs >.<
You don't need to go into the Console to do this if you're not comfortable doing so...

You need to press # to cycle audio tracks within Mplayer. If you do not have this key on your keyboard (for example, on my UK-layout keyboard), then Option-3 should do that for you.

PM me if you _really_ want to do it from the command line, and let me know if you're using a PPC or Intel-based mac!
Old 2008-02-06, 23:22   Link #608
bchan009

According to CoreAVC on their forums, they'll be releasing a Mac version of the decoder on 2/21. I doubt they'll actually release it on time, but if the do, is there a way to make mplayer use CoreAVC for decoding?

Thanks! =)
Old 2008-02-07, 01:21   Link #609
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
It depends what they release it as.

In case you feel like not messing with mplayer commands, Perian 1.1 is out. Subtitles should be nearly accurate to VSFilter now, and it has much better frame skipping.

Pengvado added 4% faster decoding to ffmpeg h264 yesterday, so the next version should be faster again, unless the next developer tools are broken even more...
Old 2008-02-07, 01:36   Link #610
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Perian 1.1 works with Quicktime 7.4.1. Excellent, I've been waiting on Perian 1.1 for a while now! I'd heard bad things about Quicktime 7.4, so I'm glad to see that it all works nicely.
Old 2008-02-07, 12:57   Link #611
sk3

Will perian 1.1 "erase" mplayer for anime playback? i hope not, i like mplayer more than quicktime lol
Old 2008-02-07, 13:10   Link #612
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3 View Post
Will perian 1.1 "erase" mplayer for anime playback? i hope not, i like mplayer more than quicktime lol
Nope. They can live quite happily with one another.
Old 2008-02-08, 10:36   Link #613
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Perian 1.1 is awesome. It finally fixes the "exporting subs rendered onto video" problem with Perian 1.0. You can now export from some weird-ass format like MKV with soft subs to an iPod/iPhone compatible movie with hard subs, styling intact, with one click.

Now THAT'S the Mac Way.
Old 2008-02-09, 07:43   Link #614
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
What, reencoding the video and audio to drop quality in order to transport the streams to a different container/format for a portable device?

I'd have thought the Mac way would be for Apple to provide us with an easy, beautiful subtitle renderer built into the Quicktime framework that's included on iPhones/iPods/in iTunes, and to incidentally sell us this beautiful material from the iTS for a small charge per episode

Oh, and MKV... it's not a format. It's a container. Really. But still, Perian 1.1 is fantastic - Front Row + Perian + 22" WS monitor = lazy awesome anime ^_^

-Andiyar
Old 2008-02-09, 14:00   Link #615
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
What, reencoding the video and audio to drop quality in order to transport the streams to a different container/format for a portable device?
Like you could tell the difference on a tiny screen.

Quote:
I'd have thought the Mac way would be for Apple to provide us with an easy, beautiful subtitle renderer built into the Quicktime framework that's included on iPhones/iPods/in iTunes, and to incidentally sell us this beautiful material from the iTS for a small charge per episode
Yeah, because the "terrible anime" market is definitely big enough for that. For what it's worth, the iPhone and iPod touch now support subtitles, I believe.

Quote:
Oh, and MKV... it's not a format. It's a container. Really. But still, Perian 1.1 is fantastic - Front Row + Perian + 22" WS monitor = lazy awesome anime ^_^
Yes yes, I know what a "container" is. But MKV + H.264 + AAC + Softsubs = format in my book, especially since so many groups have standardized on it.
Old 2008-02-10, 23:45   Link #616
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
Like you could tell the difference on a tiny screen.
Actually, I can. I can especially tell the audio difference - perhaps because I use expensive earphones with my iPod - but I just (for fun) transcoded one of SS-Eclipse's widescreen Kanon subs (from 1024x576 h.264) to ipod format and watched them alongside each other. There's definitely quality loss in both video and audio.

Oh, and the fact that it took around two hours to transcode the episode (on my dual core 2.2Ghz C2Duo MacBook) doesn't exactly endear me to the method at all - Quicktime seems to have horrible multithreading here, using only one core to actually do anything at all. I might see if ffmpegX is any better, though I don't know it will be.

Quote:
Yeah, because the "terrible anime" market is definitely big enough for that. For what it's worth, the iPhone and iPod touch now support subtitles, I believe.
Interesting with the iPhone and the iTouch. I wonder if it supports .srt files, or if it's bound up in the containers Apple uses to distribute video from the iTunes Store - couldn't find anything online about it. I highly doubt they have nice styling, but at least this sounds like a good step.

Oh, and as to the other - Funimation sells anime through iTunes.

-Andiyar
Old 2008-02-11, 22:27   Link #617
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quicktime is multithreaded and will use more than one core when transcoding. It all depends however on the source format. From a quick test here with Perian 1.1 QT will only use a single thread to transcode a h.264 encoded mkv file. An XviD file however uses two cores.

Also, you will of course notice a difference in quality when you export for iPod. The iPod has a tiny screen and a slow processor. It can't decode high res, high bitrate video. Its also compressed to help make the file smaller since iPods have less space than the computers they sync to. Flash based iPods have even less space.

You'll also notice a bigger difference in quality because you're going from one lossy format to another.
Old 2008-02-11, 22:40   Link #618
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Epyon9283

Interesting that an Xvid video will use both cores but a h.264 won't. I wonder why that is - if it was a design decision, etc. And yes, I was aware that there would indeed be quality differences. Merely a point being made. It appears that the iPod uses what, around 200kbps video (going from ffmpegX, can't find any settings or information on the actual Quicktime encoder for iPod format). Not exactly ideal for many forms of video.

-Andiyar
Old 2008-02-12, 15:55   Link #619
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonezumi View Post
That build worked, but it still requires the installer from the first page, which I said in there

And yes, I agree that the front page should be updated to say that X11 isn't required for Leopard.
Done!

If anyone else has any updates or changes they would like done to the OP please PM me with them as I don't check this thread as regularly as I should.
Old 2008-02-13, 15:03   Link #620
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
From a quick test here with Perian 1.1 QT will only use a single thread to transcode a h.264 encoded mkv file. An XviD file however uses two cores.
That sounds odd to me. How did you do it?

(use Shark)

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate