AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-29, 19:07   Link #6281
25th

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenceblade View Post
I meant how to injure the user of psion armour. Except non-magic attacks such affecting the environment there is no way but a huge different in magic abilities.
I think that the degree of decomposition (mist dispersal) he fired against tomitsuka is on a much lower degree as compared to when he's decomposing a tank. I also think that he can decompose him if he really wants to.
Old 2013-08-29, 19:35   Link #6282
NoLife222

BTW, anyone got the translation for ninendo chptr 6?
Old 2013-08-29, 22:00   Link #6283
babbo3d
2d 3d all lolis are equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakazee View Post
Part 0-2 @ EnigmaticAxiom

Spoiler for Chapter 0:

Spoiler for Chapter 1:

Spoiler for Chapter 2:

Spoiler for Chapter 3:

Part .....???.....
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1856

Part 3

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=2805
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=2859

Part 4
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=4207
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=4249

Part 5
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=4926

Part 6

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=6057
Here, is it me or in this summaries it feels like there are parts missing but i can't remember.
Old 2013-08-29, 22:40   Link #6284
NoLife222

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbo3d View Post
Here, is it me or in this summaries it feels like there are parts missing but i can't remember.
Thanks for the summary. But is there any full translation of the novel, sometime summary did not give out all the details.
Old 2013-08-29, 23:06   Link #6285
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLife222 View Post
Thanks for the summary. But is there any full translation of the novel, sometime summary did not give out all the details.
Only if you read Chinese.
Old 2013-08-29, 23:07   Link #6286
NoLife222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasen View Post
Only if you read Chinese.
Where can i find it? Not Baidu u mean?
Old 2013-08-29, 23:47   Link #6287
Rasen

Quote:
I dunno. I don't read Chinese, so I don't care.
Old 2013-08-30, 03:04   Link #6288
hakazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
More Vol11 Chinese translation is up:
Spoiler for comment on new stuff:
maybe Koichi want to has a good relationship with Yotsuba. but Yotsuba do not give a damn
Old 2013-08-30, 05:33   Link #6289
Ultragunner

oh dear, an old man with an obsession with his old love?
Old 2013-08-30, 07:38   Link #6290
AeraColthearts

Hello everyone, I'm someone who's quite new here in animesuki. However, I've been actively reading this thread for the past few months.

I just want to reply to questions based on my own simple understanding. (I'm not really fond of reading Mahouka's wall of text explaining about the magics.) Please feel free to correct me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasen View Post
Quote:
Has it ever been indicated that Tatsuya has excellent psion control?
He can construct magic sequences with skill, but that's a different issue.

As I understand it, the only reason more people don't use Gram Demolition is because they don't have the psion count for it. Other than that, it's a simple technique.
Actually, from what I remember it has been indicated multiple of times that Tatsuya has an excellent psion control. The fact that he can dual-wield cads is already a testament to it. I think it has also been mentioned during the Nine Schools Competition by Miyuki?

Is it really true that Gram Demolition needs fine control of psions to use?

If so, then I don't think that Miyuki would have it since she doesn't exactly have a fine control over her psions.

One more thing...

Quote:
This way, the magic that your opponent is casting is forcibly blown away by the psions.
In order to halt that kind of furious charge, a multi-layered defensive wall of psions might barely hold up.
I know that Phalanx is Mist Dispersion's natural enemy. However, I think that with the aid of Gram Demolition, Tatsuya would win against Juumonji. Or is it actually Decomposition?(if so, then it would make my opinion wrong)
Old 2013-08-30, 08:42   Link #6291
babbo3d
2d 3d all lolis are equal

Quote:
if there was one would we have given the summaries.
Old 2013-08-30, 08:43   Link #6292
Jirachier

Quote:
Who said anything about wasting power? Let me try and use a math example, because we're talking about Tatsuya's magic calculation area. Let's say you want to know the number of marbles in a jar. A brain which can only handle simple calculations will be forced to count the marbles one by one. It's very precise, but it's also slow. In contrast, a more powerful brain might instead do an estimate by counting the number of marbles high and multiply by another estimate of the number of marbles in a horizontal cross section of the jar. And if the jar has an irregular shape, even more estimates have to be made. It's much faster, but the answer is much less precise.

So going back to the Magicians in MKnR, because the Magicians are taught from early on that speed is what is critical (and for the most part, this is true), they power their way through creating magic sequences by doing a rough job, or quick estimates. And Tatsuya, with his abacus-level calculation area, is forced to do everything step-by-step.
You are assuming that the faster the spell the less control a person has over it which is something that has never been mentionned, and again Honoka was very impressed by this because she herself could not perform such an action, if your assumption was true then Honoka would know that if she took her time she'd be able to do that but the truth of the matter is, can't.

Quote:
The book already implies Miyuki knew Tatsuya was going to do it.
Even if she knew Tatsuya was gonna do it, she actually took the time to wait for him to do so instead of doing it herself, it's pretty clear that she does not possess Gram Demolition, Miyuki likes to let her brother show off but not when people's lives are hanging in the balance.

Quote:
Let's use a real-world example: Even if you can do a karate chop, it doesn't make you a karate practitioner. Same idea.
Your analogy doesn't really work here.
If we follow that example then, if Tatsuya could use Gram Demolition and had no other magical abilities and he decided to just live a normal life, he wouldn't be called a Gram Demolition practionner ?
Magic is different than martial arts where you need to learn many moves and techniques as well as gain experience, any person who can use a single magic spell is considered a magician.
Old 2013-08-30, 08:58   Link #6293
NoLife222

The most suitable example of Tatsuya's advanced psion control is during the presidential election, when Miyuki's magic run amok when angered, Tatsuya gather all the rampaging psion around and pour it back into Miyuki. Juumonji once comment that controlling other's people psion is almost an impossible feat.
Old 2013-08-30, 09:15   Link #6294
cyberdemon

Quote:
The most suitable example of Tatsuya's advanced psion control is during the presidential election, when Miyuki's magic run amok when angered, Tatsuya gather all the rampaging psion around and pour it back into Miyuki. Juumonji once comment that controlling other's people psion is almost an impossible feat.
considering the link between them it makes sense but others don't know about it so it would be shocking to them.
Old 2013-08-30, 09:43   Link #6295
NoLife222

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
considering the link between them it makes sense but others don't know about it so it would be shocking to them.
Juumonji know the sibling relationship and consider even such relationship does not guarantee that type of psion control over their siblings.
Old 2013-08-30, 11:35   Link #6296
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeraColthearts View Post
Actually, from what I remember it has been indicated multiple of times that Tatsuya has an excellent psion control. The fact that he can dual-wield cads is already a testament to it. I think it has also been mentioned during the Nine Schools Competition by Miyuki?
If Miyuki says it, that's one thing. But dual-wielding is another. Shizuka can dual-wield as well, and the only real reason Miyuki doesn't dual wield is because of her idol worship of Tatsuya (she doesn't want to surpass him in anyway) This is more or less implied when the book describes Miyuki's reaction to Shizuka dual-wielding.

Actually, now that I think about it, Shizuku is a perfect example of what I was saying earlier. Shizuku is known for her magic power, not her fine control. So she usually told her technicians to add in as many fine-tuning functions to her CAD, and she trusted in her power to force the calculations through quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
You are assuming that the faster the spell the less control a person has over it which is something that has never been mentionned, and again Honoka was very impressed by this because she herself could not perform such an action, if your assumption was true then Honoka would know that if she took her time she'd be able to do that but the truth of the matter is, can't.
It's a reasonable assumption to make, however. Typically the faster work is done, the sloppier it is. This is indirectly stated when the book talks about Shizuku's abilities. (The addition of fine-control for spells slows things down) Furthermore, a great deal of the magic processing is done in the unconscious area of the mind where it's faster and uncontrolled. Unfortunately for Tatsuya, his areas are dominated by his BS magics, so when he does magic processing for anything else, he has to do it consciously in his artificial calculation area.

If anything, this would also help explain why he's such a great technician. Because he has to do everything consciously instead of by instinct, he has to understand the exact workings of magic sequences, whereas everyone else has to fumble with a mix of knowledge and instinct. Of course, this is further supported by his Elemental Sight. Whereas others get fuzzy impressions of the magic sequences, he sees things in detail.

It's like how if you have a teacher, you want a regular person who studied and suffered, as opposed to a genius who understood everything in their gut. The regular guy understands the difficult areas. The genius can't understand why you're so slow and stupid.

Quote:
Even if she knew Tatsuya was gonna do it, she actually took the time to wait for him to do so instead of doing it herself, it's pretty clear that she does not possess Gram Demolition, Miyuki likes to let her brother show off but not when people's lives are hanging in the balance.
The thing is, WITH a CAD, Tatsuya is as fast as everyone else in casting magic, because he doesn't have to construct the magic sequences. So for Miyuki to "wait" for Tatsuya is probably faster than doing both by herself (or at least of similar speed), because she would have to do the calculations for one spell, cast it, then do calculations for another and then cast it.

And remember, Miyuki uses Generalized CADs, which are usually slower than the Specialized CADs (which Tatsuya uses).

Quote:
Your analogy doesn't really work here.
If we follow that example then, if Tatsuya could use Gram Demolition and had no other magical abilities and he decided to just live a normal life, he wouldn't be called a Gram Demolition practionner ?
Magic is different than martial arts where you need to learn many moves and techniques as well as gain experience, any person who can use a single magic spell is considered a magician.
Ah, but to be considered a Gram Demolition "Practitioner" as you put it, maybe you have to be able to cast it multiple times. If you cast it once and then can't cast any more spells (or at least a second one), it's really not a weapon you would ever use. To go back to the Karate practitioner example, let's say he knows all the moves and techniques. But if he ever hits someone, he breaks his own bones instead. Then he's really not a practitioner, and certainly not in a practical setting.

Quote:
As someone else mentioned earlier though, that's because Miyuki's magic is being used to seal his power. That bond does crazy things. For instance, Miyuki's magic control goes down when the seal is in place, because she's sealing Tatsuya. When the seal is removed, then her control goes back to excellent.

Last edited by Rasen; 2013-08-30 at 12:10.
Old 2013-08-30, 12:32   Link #6297
Jirachier

Quote:
If Miyuki says it, that's one thing. But dual-wielding is another. Shizuka can dual-wield as well, and the only real reason Miyuki doesn't dual wield is because of her idol worship of Tatsuya (she doesn't want to surpass him in anyway) This is more or less implied when the book describes Miyuki's reaction to Shizuka dual-wielding.

Actually, now that I think about it, Shizuku is a perfect example of what I was saying earlier. (Jirachier, this applies to you too) Shizuku is known for her magic power, not her fine control. So she usually told her technicians to add in as many fine-tuning functions to her CAD, and she trusted in her power to force the calculations through quickly.
First Shizuku is known for her magic power more than precision, which means she literally isn't good at precision, it's not her choice not to be precise, she just isn't. Second this precision doesn't have anything to do with psion control, it has to do with using her magic to accomplish the goal she wants and nothing more.

Quote:
It's a reasonable assumption to make, however. Typically the faster work is done, the sloppier it is. Furthermore, a great deal of the magic processing is done in the unconscious area of the mind where it's faster and uncontrolled. Unfortunately for Tatsuya, his areas are dominated by his BS magics, so when he does magic processing for anything else, he has to do it consciously in his artificial calculation area.

If anything, this would also help explain why he's such a great technician. Because he has to do everything consciously instead of by instinct, he has to understand the exact workings of magic sequences, whereas everyone else has to fumble with a mix of knowledge and instinct. Of course, this is further supported by his Elemental Sight. Whereas others get fuzzy impressions of the magic sequences, he sees things in detail.

It's like how if you have a teacher, you want a regular person who studied and suffered, as opposed to a genius who understood everything in their gut. The regular guy understands the difficult areas. The genius can't understand why you're so slow and stupid.
You do realize that Tatsuya can use his inborn magic in around 0.2 seconds but also he can even use it to only target part of an object rather than the whole which is an extremely difficult thing to do.
My point is, even if we assume speed equals less precision, when it comes to the strongest magicians they are able to accomplish things swiftly without any loss in precision.

And why do you choose to ignore my argument about how Honoka was impressed by Tatsuya's demonstration, if this was something that can be easily accomplished just by taking your time with it, it would not have left such a lasting impression on her, she even went as far as saying that it was something she saw for the first time in her life. There is no way that what Tatsuya did was mundane.

Quote:
The thing is, WITH a CAD, Tatsuya is as fast as everyone else in casting magic, because he doesn't have to construct the magic sequences. So for Miyuki to "wait" for Tatsuya is probably faster than doing both by herself (or at least of similar speed), because she would have to do the calculations for one spell, cast it, then do calculations for another and then cast it.

And remember, Miyuki uses Generalized CADs, which are usually slower than the Specialized CADs (which Tatsuya uses).
This is the age of modern magic, even "slow magic" is super fast, using Gram Demolition by herself then following up with another magic would most definitely have been faster than waiting for Tatsuya.

Quote:
Ah, but to be considered a Gram Demolition "Practitioner" as you put it, maybe you have to be able to cast it multiple times. If you cast it once and then can't cast any more spells (or at least a second one), it's really not a weapon you would ever use. To go back to the Karate practitioner example, let's say he knows all the moves and techniques. But if he ever hits someone, he breaks his own bones instead. Then he's really not a practitioner, and certainly not in a practical setting.
Why do you have to be able to use a spell multiple times to be called a practitioner of said spell, that makes no sense.
Take the head of the Itsuwa family, her body is extremely fragile so she probably shouldn't even use weak magic, so she probably can only cast Deep Abyss once a day otherwise it will be bad for her health, should she not be considered a strategic class magician because of that ?
Should we not consider Mikihiko a practitioner of Sense Tuning because he can only go as far as 2 senses ?
There exists levels of power for every magic, that is what separates two practitioners of the same magic, but even if someone can barely use something they are still considered one.

Quote:
As someone else mentioned earlier though, that's because Miyuki's magic is being used to seal his power. That bond does crazy things. For instance, Miyuki's magic control goes down when the seal is in place, because she's sealing Tatsuya. When the seal is removed, then her control goes back to excellent.
Although the bond might have helped, it's undeniable that it was thanks to Tatsuya's power that he was able to put her psions back inside of her.
Old 2013-08-30, 13:46   Link #6298
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
First Shizuku is known for her magic power more than precision, which means she literally isn't good at precision, it's not her choice not to be precise, she just isn't. Second this precision doesn't have anything to do with psion control, it has to do with using her magic to accomplish the goal she wants and nothing more.
And what determines precision? Her eyes? No, it has to do with the Magic Sequence. That's why they add in functions to the CAD to add in the details for targeting or whatever else the caster can't deal with.

Quote:
You do realize that Tatsuya can use his inborn magic in around 0.2 seconds but also he can even use it to only target part of an object rather than the whole which is an extremely difficult thing to do.
My point is, even if we assume speed equals less precision, when it comes to the strongest magicians they are able to accomplish things swiftly without any loss in precision.
First, the only magic of his that was timed was Auto-Regen, I believe. And then, we have no idea as to how "clean" the magic sequence is.

Quote:
And why do you choose to ignore my argument about how Honoka was impressed by Tatsuya's demonstration, if this was something that can be easily accomplished just by taking your time with it, it would not have left such a lasting impression on her, she even went as far as saying that it was something she saw for the first time in her life. There is no way that what Tatsuya did was mundane.
Because you're ignoring my argument about most of the magic calculations being done by the UNCONSCIOUS mind. That means they have limited control on how fast they construct the magic sequences. This is why Erika could improve her construction time by putting one hand over the other, even though it has nothing to do with magic construction. Tatsuya is different because he HAS to use his artificial calculation area for anything other than his BS magic.

Furthermore, since the magicians are being trained to keep improving their speed in calculations they don't fully comprehend, they just get used to doing everything really quickly, and it becomes difficult to slow things down. Think about how much work it was to understand multiplication in the beginning. Now, you not only do it lightning fast, but you've even stopped thinking about the math behind it. You just "know" the answer. Now, if you try and slow yourself down to the time when you were figuring out that multiplication is just another form of addition, you can't do it. You can try, but your brain will keep screaming the answer out to you before/during you actually working it out step-by-step.

Lastly, because Honoka fell in love with Tatsuya's magic when he was forced to do a regular spell. We have no idea as to what her impressions would be of his BS magic.

Quote:
This is the age of modern magic, even "slow magic" is super fast, using Gram Demolition by herself then following up with another magic would most definitely have been faster than waiting for Tatsuya.
That depends on how you look at it. Gram Demolition doesn't hit a target immediately, it's forced to travel a distance. Whereas the magic Miyuki uses probably acts on a specific coordinate.

Therefore, even if she cast Gram Demolition by herself, she would have to wait for it to reach the target before she casts the next spell. (otherwise, the next spell would get lost in the mix of magic sequences)

Either way, she's forced to wait for Gram Demolition to arrive and work before she does the next spell..

Quote:
Why do you have to be able to use a spell multiple times to be called a practitioner of said spell, that makes no sense.
Take the head of the Itsuwa family, her body is extremely fragile so she probably shouldn't even use weak magic, so she probably can only cast Deep Abyss once a day otherwise it will be bad for her health, should she not be considered a strategic class magician because of that ?
You based this on what? I don't recall any discussion about physical health and magical ability.

Quote:
Should we not consider Mikihiko a practitioner of Sense Tuning because he can only go as far as 2 senses ?
If he can only use it once, or if Sense Tuning specifically refers to 3 senses or more, then no we should not.

Quote:
There exists levels of power for every magic, that is what separates two practitioners of the same magic, but even if someone can barely use something they are still considered one.
You're contradicting your earlier statement about karate users. First you said a person has to know all sorts of things before they can be considered a practitioner. Now you're saying that they only need to know a few things.

It comes down to this: people all over the world have the ABILITY to do something like karate. But unless they actually DO it, they're not a practitioner, or a user. And for most magicians, it's not worth pursuing because of the psion requirements. They have better and more efficient ways of fighting other magicians.

Quote:
Although the bond might have helped, it's undeniable that it was thanks to Tatsuya's power that he was able to put her psions back inside of her.
Yeah, but Tatsuya's power in what? Just because it LOOKS like Tatsuya forced the psions back in, doesn't mean that's what he did. Like what he did with Miyuki's ice, by using his ability to rewrite the magical record, things look like they're being rewound/reversed/healed. Which would make the psions look EXACTLY like they were being poured back into Miyuki

Last edited by Rasen; 2013-08-30 at 14:00.
Old 2013-08-30, 17:28   Link #6299
Sylux

How would you like it if Tatsuya's friend would find out about him being a Youtsuba and a Bs and exactly what kind of Bs?

Personnaly i would find that interesting.
Old 2013-08-30, 21:01   Link #6300
NoLife222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
How would you like it if Tatsuya's friend would find out about him being a Youtsuba and a Bs and exactly what kind of Bs?

Personnaly i would find that interesting.
Erika already find out that he is a Yotsuba. Most of his most closed friend know he is BS.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings