AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-05-23, 03:31   Link #641
rei_lied

Can I ask something. Does having the DVD release means that this series has been/will be license(d)?

Anyway, just watch episode 7. I really want to be Inori single now. IMHO, Josh Groban's version of You raise me up was no match for Lena Park's version.

Umai was fast with their release. I hope this keeps up.
Old 2007-05-23, 04:56   Link #642
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Wow, poor Hermione.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 07:59   Link #643
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei_lied View Post
Can I ask something. Does having the DVD release means that this series has been/will be license(d)?
No it doesn't mean that. Japanese anime studios releases their series on DVD after they are aired on tv.
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 09:39   Link #644
raideralan

Are they going to put the english version (one during he kissing scene) of "you raise me up" on the album of the opening song?
raideralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 09:54   Link #645
kikko_s
What's in a name....?

Send a message via AIM to kikko_s
Oh shoot the story's really picking up now.
kikko_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 10:08   Link #646
rei_lied

Quote:
Originally Posted by raideralan View Post
Are they going to put the english version (one during he kissing scene) of "you raise me up" on the album of the opening song?
yes they are. The single will have the full version of the song, english version and instrumental.
Old 2007-05-23, 10:51   Link #647
kandidasama
Serial mouse killer

Can't wait to see episode 8.
But I bet the story will not gonna be thrilled as previous one. Probably some sad scenes.
kandidasama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 11:53   Link #648
EragonJeriel
heh

Whats the title of the OP?
and why does it sound so familiar?? like an english song or was it a church song
EragonJeriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 11:54   Link #649
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

You Raise Me Up in Japanese, sang by Lena Park.

Go google or wiki it up. I'm sure everyone's heard a version of it sometime in their lives before.

Like the version by Westlife, or Josh Groban.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 13:41   Link #650
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Go google or wiki it up. I'm sure everyone's heard a version of it sometime in their lives before.
Maybe in America. I've never heard of it before this anime. However, it's a nice song, especially when sung in English

Spoiler:
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 14:44   Link #651
Ryusei

This series is pretty awesome. What i wonder is why Umai fansub went to the lenght of translate "kempeitai" (military police) with "carabinieri". While it's true that the "carabinieri" are a kind of italian military police, it's pretty inappropriate for the term to be used here. The terms comes from the 1800s, and come from the fact that their traditional weapon is the carabin. It's pretty evident that the military police in neo Verona fights with spears and swords.
This without counting that the Carabinieri still exist as a police force, and I don't think it's appropriate to associate them as a rogue-ish enemies of the people.
I understand that the temptation of italianizing the translation even more than the original might be strong, but in this case i would have just kept the correct translation "Military police"
Ryusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 16:17   Link #652
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan View Post
Umai just came out with epi. 7 subs but the subtitles won't show up for me. I used different programs including BSplayer and windows media player classic, but BSplayer doesn't show the subtitles and WMP classic somehow only worked for epi 6 but not 5 or 7. Does any one have any ideas why?
I've never gotten media player classic to show any of the subs from Umai. They work perfectly fine in the standard windows media player though, so I'd suggest you try that.
Old 2007-05-23, 16:50   Link #653
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryusei View Post
This series is pretty awesome. What i wonder is why Umai fansub went to the lenght of translate "kempeitai" (military police) with "carabinieri". While it's true that the "carabinieri" are a kind of italian military police, it's pretty inappropriate for the term to be used here. The terms comes from the 1800s, and come from the fact that their traditional weapon is the carabin. It's pretty evident that the military police in neo Verona fights with spears and swords.

Okay, so we're not very historically accurate on this one, but then neither is the series

We were looking for a term that denoted military police in Italy - Carabinieri seemed to fit that (just as gendarmerie would fit if the series was set in France).

EDIT: if anyone is having problems with our releases - uninstall all your codec packs, then install CCCP (http://www.cccp-project.net/) and use either Media Player Classic or Zoomplayer (it comes with the CCCP pack install). That should cure your problems. If you have any others, drop by the umai chan (#umai@rizon.org) and we'll try to help.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 17:23   Link #654
Guppy

Spoiler for ep. 8:
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 17:31   Link #655
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
EDIT: if anyone is having problems with our releases - uninstall all your codec packs, then install CCCP (http://www.cccp-project.net/) and use either Media Player Classic or Zoomplayer (it comes with the CCCP pack install). That should cure your problems. If you have any others, drop by the umai chan (#umai@rizon.org) and we'll try to help.
Well, that's what I've been using from the start. No dice. No big deal though, it works in WMP.
Old 2007-05-23, 17:45   Link #656
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Our releases are softsubs as well. Did you check that the right subtitle track was turned on? (sometimes I have problems with it turning itself off too :s)
Old 2007-05-23, 17:49   Link #657
Ryusei

Quote:
Okay, so we're not very historically accurate on this one, but then neither is the series

We were looking for a term that denoted military police in Italy - Carabinieri seemed to fit that (just as gendarmerie would fit if the series was set in France).
It's not just a matter of historical accuracy actually (to be honest that's the least of the problems), just that it sounds mighty weird to an italian when he reads that, first thing that comes to mind is "where's the carabine?"

Was it necessary to put it in italian? I mean, i doubt having left the literal translation "military police" would have ruined the atmosphere, even because, after all, it isn't in italian originally. Just personal insight of course, you're doing a great job on it.
Ryusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 18:00   Link #658
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryusei View Post
I mean, i doubt having left the literal translation "military police" would have ruined the atmosphere.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I've never actually heard somebody say "military police" but then, that's probably because I'm British

I don't particularly believe it's necessary for them to have "carabines" in a *fantasy series* (and I'm sure they don't use them these days either) to be Carabinieri, but I suppose it's up to you. As far as I've been told, they are a military force that act as policemen. There are no real equivalents in English, and as the story is set in Italy, it made more sense to use an Italian name for military police, rather than anything else. Yes, it may have neglected historical context slightly, but I think it was the best word for the occasion
Old 2007-05-23, 18:00   Link #659
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Our releases are softsubs as well. Did you check that the right subtitle track was turned on? (sometimes I have problems with it turning itself off too :s)
Well, the subtitle menu and subtitle context menu are always grayed out when I open your releases in WMC.

On another note, the subtitles also work in VLC, although the video becomes extremely pixelated/blocky.

Also, about the whole carabinieri thing: It's kind of obvious that anyone reading that will wonder where the carbines are. I think your localization idea is a bit too anachronistic here (polite way of saying very anachronistic, lol). You wouldn't translate soldier as rifleman either, right? Even if he was actually using a bazooka

On the other hand, 16th/17th century is about the right time for gunpowder, even though that seems to be neglected in this anime.

Last edited by lightbringer; 2007-05-23 at 18:12.
Old 2007-05-23, 20:58   Link #660
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

OH MY GOD, EPISODE 7 WAS SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!! They did the kiss scene REALLY well. Umai fansubs, THANK YOU FOR SUBBING THIS SERIES!!!!!!

and yeah, I feel bad for Hermione too. She didn't do anything wrong...=[

EDIT: when she was "struggling" in Romeos arms, did anyone else think that looked like a sex scene sort of. I bet that if they had a sex scene, they will edit that part and just make them naked and throw a blanket on top.

Last edited by Double_Edge; 2007-05-23 at 21:21.
Double_Edge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance