Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
NOT SURE IF WANT.

Spoiler:
Spoiler for Chapter 306:
DSDSSDWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 07:05   Link #642
Wrath88
Kissing...

Overpowered.... but Pitou being happy is quite foreboding about what will happen to Gon later.
Old 2010-04-22, 07:24   Link #643
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Overpowered.... but Pitou being happy is quite foreboding about what will happen to Gon later.
I can't wait to see Killua's reaction.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 07:26   Link #644
Cipher

Excellent! Finally, our young hero has reached his peak in the mastery of fight.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 07:53   Link #645
Key Board
Carbon

Actually using this comes with a dire consequence it seems

Spoiler:
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 08:25   Link #646
Hikari no Clover

Spoiler:
Old 2010-04-22, 10:55   Link #647
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Quote:
Indeed. Though I think he is mostly relieved that Gon's resolve was aimed at him instead of the King.

I've read the chapter a few times now, and also read a few chapters back and I have to say this turn of events, while unexpected, isn't totally out of the blue. Gon's emotional state has been carefully built up since he lost vs Knuckle all through the Ant arc, Killua being the only one sensing it untill Knuckle saw Gon and Pitou together. I don't mind the powerup as much as I did first.

We all known Nen is a power with a seemingly infinite number of possibilities. I find it impossible to argue against Gon's powerup and approve of all the other -sometimes ridiculous - things we have seen in this world of Nen. The explanation has already been given: Gon called forth 'all' his potential and fast forwarded through time, at the cost of his Nen. Corny: yes. Unbelievable in the rules of HxH? No.

If you think about it: As strong as the Royal Guards were, it was never argued that other strong Nen users couldn't handle them. Technically, had Gon met the ants 10 years later, this outcome would have been plausible the way the story has treated Gon and Killua's prowess with Nen. What did Wing-san say again? Talent one only sees in 1 in 10.000.000 people?

And if you really want to get technical: as somebody already pointed out on the Nexgear forum. Pitou is Transformation and weak against Reinforcement to begin with.
Old 2010-04-22, 11:21   Link #648
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for 306:
Old 2010-04-22, 12:42   Link #649
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Somehow Gon's change and new appearance reminds me a lot of Bisque.
Me too. Btw, Key Board, Pitou only said that it was an ability akin to making the condition of 'not ever being able to use Nen', it's not specifically stated, is it? (Need to check the raws for that)

If we consider the nature of the ability, it is that his Nen has kicked into overdrive for forceful maturity, something along the lines of 'I want to be strong enough to kill Pitou'. (Explains why he grew so much hair... but shouldn't his finger and toe nails be long as well? What about facial hair?)
Old 2010-04-22, 13:44   Link #650
ZeroForever

hmm scan is out.

Spoiler for new chap:
Old 2010-04-22, 14:16   Link #651
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Me too. Btw, Key Board, Pitou only said that it was an ability akin to making the condition of 'not ever being able to use Nen', it's not specifically stated, is it? (Need to check the raws for that)

If we consider the nature of the ability, it is that his Nen has kicked into overdrive for forceful maturity, something along the lines of 'I want to be strong enough to kill Pitou'. (Explains why he grew so much hair... but shouldn't his finger and toe nails be long as well? What about facial hair?)
Spoiler:
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 15:05   Link #652
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Somehow Gon's change and new appearance reminds me a lot of Bisque.
I thought "Lazer" instead.

Well, no. That was my second thought. My first one was "looks like there's going to be a hiatus again soon".
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 15:29   Link #653
Trax
Rock beats scissors

What could have been a great fight was turned into a two-shot victory. What a jip.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 17:27   Link #654
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

An incredible chapter. Again. Just the last two chapters are worth animating alone, apart from the rest.

It seems Pitou thinks Gon is done after that attack, and that is why he is glad, that he was the one to stop him. We will see about that.

But, Gon forcing himself to grow (or mature as the scanlation mentioned) is quite interesting. I guess measuring the length of the hair, some kind of estimate can be made, regarding how many years has passed for his body. I don't mind a matured Gon. He will be close to Killua in the strength of the mind, though, in body it will look similar to Kurapica and Killua, not a pair of kids anymore.

Anyways, I hope, as Small One referred to, this change is more like what Bisque is experiencing. Allowing Gon to change to this matured self anytime he wants in the future, rather than him being that way all the time. Also, I wonder, if that is what Bisque went through in the past. She attained that form due to a similar unexpected power-up?
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 18:43   Link #655
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
Anyways, I hope, as Small One referred to, this change is more like what Bisque is experiencing. Allowing Gon to change to this matured self anytime he wants in the future, rather than him being that way all the time. Also, I wonder, if that is what Bisque went through in the past. She attained that form due to a similar unexpected power-up?
When Bisque's large form was introduced she said it was her "original" body/size. That is, the petite Bisque is the "fake" one - the opposite of what Gon's just done.

In terms of how the showdown played out, I'm pretty satisfied right now. A lengthy battle with a narrow win for Gon would have been too predictable. Instead, we have Gon maxing out his fury (after several foreshadowings) and winning quickly, but potentially at massive cost.

If Pitou is right then Gon's life as a Hunter is over.
Old 2010-04-22, 18:45   Link #656
Marikina

Spoiler:
Marikina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 04:31   Link #657
Boduar

From what the translated version I read it said it will definitely shorten his lifespan and the possibility of never being able to use nen again (possible burn out).
Boduar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 06:13   Link #658
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Well, nen's potential is limitless, plus Ant Arc isn't going to be the end of HxH ( unless Gon's forced growth is an avatar of Togashi burning himself out with HxH ), so while Gon may be out of commision for a while, it's probably not going to be the end of his life as a Nen practitioner/Hunter.

After all, there's technically nen-created items that can cure any disease/injuries and technically reverse time on one's physical body itself.

It's good enough of a reason to have Gon out of picture in a future arc, allowing the story to go back to Kurapika or Leorio.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 07:51   Link #659
Wrath88
Kissing...

'Let's go back into Greed Island and get an Archangel's Breath!'
Old 2010-04-23, 08:30   Link #660
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Somehow, Gon's burnout reminds me of Kuwabara's temporary blackout from his spiritual awareness (N.B. Yu Yu Hakusho, shortly after the Dark Tournament). I tend to think he's using up his nen to the point where he won't be able to use it for a while. Think of it this way. Nen is that energy coming from your body, so I'm guessing it would work similarly. Muscles, when working out, are destroyed and then rebuilt stronger than they were before after a time of rest. Most likely, Gon right now is using so much nen that it's getting burned out, but after a long period of rest, it will come back much stronger than it was before. It will take quite a while tho, imo, so the story probably will go back to Leorio and Kurapika, and perhaps a bit more time for Killua to shine. Rather, we need the Genei Ryodan back.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overpowered villain