AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2010-04-04, 18:06   Link #641
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I liked the first episode. The setting is definitely an interesting one. Besides I like a few thought that hell would be a school anyways . Of course something about this feels more like a possible purgatory. Anyways think Otonashi should just keep his options open since out of the 3 times he's been 'killed' so far 2 of them were due to that SSS group. Of course the trap wasn't intentionally targeting him .

A strange situation to be stuck in. You can fight to stay in that world since at least you have a handle on it. It involves fighting, but at least you have a sense of it. While disappearing can mean just about anything. Maybe you are reincarnated or maybe something else entirely happens. I'm pretty curious about that world and what Otonashi is going to do.
Old 2010-04-04, 20:15   Link #642
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
That's the thing though. They are facing their problems. They are trying to figure out their world with the slight hope of encountering the supposed God and hopefully finding out a way to get back to their old bodies alive (or get a second chance at their last moments). Well, if that can't be considered as "facing their problems" then I don't know what can be considered in this situation.
Maybe they could accept the fact that they're dead? As it is, they're basically angry ghosts who are lashing out violently. They need an exorcist to come and calm them down and send them down the road. Dead people don't come back to life, and I don't see anything noble or courageous about them trying to do so. They don't even know what happens when they disappear, for all they know that'd lead to heaven or something better. They're just scared of the unknown, plain and simple. Not that this is an unreasonable thing, but I really do believe that the proper thing to do in the long run is to accept their fate and stop fighting back.

Assuming that this actually is the afterlife of course. If not, everything changes, but they certainly seem to believe it is, so I'm rather surprised that only Otanashi seems to be thinking at all along these lines. Maybe they just fail to recruit most of the non-stubborn people.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 20:20   Link #643
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I wanted to bring a comment from Sankaku about Angel beats.

"Wait, if they're dead, how did the sniper rifle appear?"
"Maybe the sniper rifle 'died'."

LOL, priceless.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 21:22   Link #644
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Maybe they could accept the fact that they're dead? As it is, they're basically angry ghosts who are lashing out violently. They need an exorcist to come and calm them down and send them down the road. Dead people don't come back to life, and I don't see anything noble or courageous about them trying to do so. They don't even know what happens when they disappear, for all they know that'd lead to heaven or something better. They're just scared of the unknown, plain and simple. Not that this is an unreasonable thing, but I really do believe that the proper thing to do in the long run is to accept their fate and stop fighting back.

Assuming that this actually is the afterlife of course. If not, everything changes, but they certainly seem to believe it is, so I'm rather surprised that only Otanashi seems to be thinking at all along these lines. Maybe they just fail to recruit most of the non-stubborn people.
The biggest wild card is definitely that they don't know anything for sure. Everything is just pure conjecture on Yuri's part. Tenshi herself denies she's an angel and she doesn't look the type that lies. So while the purgatory thing is the dominant theory both by viewers and Yuri odds are its something else entirely.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 21:27   Link #645
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
The biggest wild card is definitely that they don't know anything for sure. Everything is just pure conjecture on Yuri's part. Tenshi herself denies she's an angel and she doesn't look the type that lies. So while the purgatory thing is the dominant theory both by viewers and Yuri odds are its something else entirely.
Is tenshi even her name as a better question or is that just what the SSS calls her?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 22:24   Link #646
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Is tenshi even her name as a better question or is that just what the SSS calls her?
Hm... I think that's just what they call her too...
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 22:32   Link #647
ZODDGUTS

Yeah if there really dead and if there truely in the after life than yeah they should just accept their dead and move on, they can no longer go back to their previous lives. There acting like spoiled children heck just listen to Yuri's whiny voice in the preview with the whole "Don't you think it isn't fair?" because she happen to die.

One other thing that I don't like about the group is that their targeting and provoking Tenshi. I mean what exactly bad thing has she done? She's just doing her job keeping things in order and protecting those people who want to move on.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 22:55   Link #648
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
I don't think it's her name. I think the SSS are a clique of outsiders who call the student council president "Angel", like you might call someone "goody two shoes". They are acting out their rebellious fantasies (like playing an impromptu Rock-n-Roll concert and littering), but "Tenshi" hasn't done anything, as yet, to deserve what the SSS has been dishing her.
Old 2010-04-04, 23:03   Link #649
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
I don't think it's her name. I think the SSS are a clique of outsiders who call the student council president "Angel", like you might call someone "goody two shoes". They are acting out their rebellious fantasies (like playing an impromptu Rock-n-Roll concert and littering), but "Tenshi" hasn't done anything, as yet, to deserve what the SSS has been dishing her.
According to the Angel Beats ANN page, Tenshi (Translation: Angel) is her name but there is a possibility that she has a real name unless she isn't human.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 23:23   Link #650
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
Seems like this series can't escape from the discussion of fighting against 'God' and 'God's minions'. Only natural, I guess, with such subject matter.
If no-one minds, I'm posting 'rage against God' quotes weekly (given the subject matter) everytime a episode comes out. And hopefully we can still keep this thread on topic. Starting with...

Why Yuri (damn, it stop thinking like that) fights...Or how many adjectives we can use in a single sentence.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."- Richard Dawkins

Actually comes to think of it, I think this is more a case of 'my God is better then your God'

But we all know who the real God is...
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 23:51   Link #651
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post

i am breathless waiting for the doujins of when Yuri meets Haruhi
Old 2010-04-05, 00:05   Link #652
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Exactly what I mentioned earlier. Until we have something more solid, we can't just accept what Yuri is saying.

Hmm... Tenshi seems to require move-calling. They should make some paint-guns and aim for her mouth.
Old 2010-04-05, 00:10   Link #653
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Exactly what I mentioned earlier. Until we have something more solid, we can't just accept what Yuri is saying.

Hmm... Tenshi seems to require move-calling. They should make some paint-guns and aim for her mouth.
Yeah for now we should keep an open mind and see how events unfold. We've only gotten a limited view on the situation so far. Yuri is the only one that's offered answers at this point.

It's a good strategy, but the troops seem comfortable waiting for her to finish her move-calling. She doesn't speak so fast that they couldn't fire first. Suppose no matter how powerful the enemy it's just bad form to interrupt move-calling.
Old 2010-04-05, 00:16   Link #654
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i am breathless waiting for the doujins of when Yuri meets Haruhi
Haruhi Yuri? Oh yeah, there's Yuki/Haruhi, Haruhi/Miku...damn it!! Damn my yuri fanboy.

But yeah crossovers will be great. But I like Yuri better then Haruhi

Quote:
Whatever resistance they mustered only came after their slow realization that the Nazis were gonna turn on them too, and those were much overshadowed by their original silent pact with the Third Reich, and the atmosphere they'd cultured, an atmosphere which allowed certain atrocities to ever be contemplated in the first place.
It was one man, but let's not forget the Nazi ratlines under Alois Hudal.
Old 2010-04-05, 00:22   Link #655
ZODDGUTS

Why even bring up this whole Nazi shit and wherever or not chatolic church supported them in this thread? Serious get that shit out of here, it's so off topic.
Old 2010-04-05, 00:25   Link #656
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Why even bring up this whole Nazi shit and wherever or not chatolic church supported them in this thread? Serious get that shit out of here, it's so off topic.
True but the debate is entertaining.

I also wonder if this will turn into heated religious debates.
Old 2010-04-05, 00:37   Link #657
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:

Interesting. All of this argument over religion and the cast has yet to meet god

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 00:44   Link #658
ZODDGUTS

Quote:

I mean I know God is going to be brought up in this thread because of story/theme of the series but this whole Nazi's and catholic church being involved/supportive in WWII or not has nothing to do with this story and the series, why even bring it up?
Old 2010-04-05, 00:58   Link #659
NinjaYali
Banned

Oh shi...I just realise that like Haruhi this is an epic way to troll Athiest v Religious debates by posting with a SSS emblem. 'Rebels against the Gods'. Win!!

Shame, people are still arguing over it being 'moeshit' or 'Haruhi rip-off' when we can 'easily find' common ground. Rebellion against God!!
Old 2010-04-05, 01:33   Link #660
Orrin
Sumika Kagami Fanboy

Manage to pick up something interesting when I rewatched the first episode.

Spoiler for Episode 1, very large image:
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key