AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2011-11-08, 23:48   Link #6761
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

The problem with using the whole character with the traumatised childhood soldier for ocs, is that most writers easily fit them into regular life/school life like JUST like that. Even for somebody that is traumatised from war, they are very prone to avoid environment/certain stimuli that remind them of their tragedy. For example, for a child soldier who was forced to kill somebody with a knife may have second thoughts when they touch a cooking blade or etc.

We have Sagara Sousuke from FMP, while his side is done with a tinge of 2D humour, putting it realistic, it may take MANY years to readjust to a new life, especially from one that is filled with wartime trauma.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 23:48   Link #6762
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@Meister
*Sounds of head asplode*
So all your original OC is secondary characters? What the-

@Blitz
Thanks for the explanation, this is what I planned for Laura's 'development' (note, tiny adjustment of personality along the story).
Old 2011-11-08, 23:57   Link #6763
blitz1/2

From what I read of your fic in fanfiction.net, your characters haven't fallen into THAT trap yet, as they are still fighting/still soldiers, they haven't TRANSITIONED to a normal, peaceful life. That's why they are not prone to traumas, as they are RESISTANT and as I learned in English class (oh boy....) "Hard boiled."

Old 2011-11-09, 00:03   Link #6764
DarkJak2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
@ Zero - Everybody seems to be switching from "Guy who can use an IS" to "Guy that uses a machine as strong as an IS". At least Jak's suit is confirmed to be weaker than the IS suits.

@ Meister - She's lucky Irish's aggressiveness was taken out by Silver or she'd be full of injuries. Sorry if I gave Karon a berserk button for being flat. But you have to admit, it would be pretty insulting for a girl to find a guy has a bigger chest than her.
I didn't quite say that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
From what I read of your fic in fanfiction.net, your characters haven't fallen into THAT trap yet, as they are still fighting/still soldiers, they haven't TRANSITIONED to a normal, peaceful life. That's why they are not prone to traumas, as they are RESISTANT and as I learned in English class (oh boy....) "Hard boiled."
If you're refering to mine, then yeah. Near the end of Ch. 3 shows that Hot Shot's not all that okay psychologically, and Sideswipe is starting to get concerned about him.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 00:05   Link #6765
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJak2050 View Post
I didn't quite say that...
WAT
Old 2011-11-09, 00:06   Link #6766
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
@Meister
*Sounds of head asplode*
So all your original OC is secondary characters? What the-
Because they were created around a main core cast to fill in the gaps, they had to be made from scratch. Even then, I dreamed them up based on certain character stereotypes without much attention to their histories, unlike the cores, who have abilities, roles, lines and synergies all planned out.

I think Marv and Karon are quite original. While they have many familiar elements, I just took the most of their stereotypes and either turned it on its head (Marv) or in Karon's case just run as far as I can with it.

Those "secondary" characters are mains in their own story. Should I ever get to write Vandam Joaquim, then we'll learn about matters between Kajie, Li Zhiqing, Heidi Bodewig, Orimura Chifuyu and Shinonono Tabane.

Sidenote: Last Exile reminds me of the time I still built vast worlds with deep traditions. I guess while most of Vandam II's setting is borrowed from local culture, I do find myself thinking in terms of the entire backdrop when writing about people, including their habits and slang.
Old 2011-11-09, 00:07   Link #6767
DarkJak2050

Quote:
WAT
You'll just have to wait, man...

The combat armor that's in the story so far (Flashbacks), are the ones my guys used when they were mercenaries. Not the Silverbacks.

Last edited by DarkJak2050; 2011-11-09 at 00:20.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 00:10   Link #6768
blitz1/2

I read Astro Exodus, first of all, the synopsis needs work because the fact that the author says that another machine for males to RIVAL the IS is already going to set off Red Stu possible flags.

Suggestion, change it to "a new machine has been developed, will this change the balance of power of the genders once more?" or something like that, something that doesn't indicate it HAS to be a male that pilots it.

Next, Rong is ringing in that he is practically close to omniscient in terms of personality and IS knowledge which does not bode well with me. And next, nobody even knows if Chifuyu has got a bro-con tendency for the canon characters (other than Maya MAYBE).

Old 2011-11-09, 00:11   Link #6769
EthernalRain
Head of FRACTURE R&D

@ Eratas: The same friend from before made me play MW3, so I was gone for a bit.

Anyway, Kyuukai's probably a stu. I think, since my knowledge on them is lacking. Also, why he's so adjusted to the Academy and people are somewhat comfortable of his age...

That's something I hope to explain in a VOTP. Also, Kyuukai's stability is an issue. In chapter 11, he was very close to slitting Ichika's neck because he forgot he wasn't in a combat situation.

And he keeps up a mask for Laura's sake and the sake of his mother's sanity. It's good enough to fool himself, keep him stable enough to live life as "normal" as he can make it.
EthernalRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 00:16   Link #6770
blitz1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJak2050 View Post

If you're refering to mine, then yeah. Near the end of Ch. 3 shows that Hot Shot's not all that okay psychologically, and Sideswipe is starting to get concerned about him.
That's good, at least you are providing indication that even though they are soldiers, they still suffer the same flaws as some of us, they are humans and are prone to change due to certain 'events'. As long as you don't shove the change drastically and without purpose, you should be fine.

Old 2011-11-09, 00:22   Link #6771
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Rain
In my opinion "Probably a Stu" fits him better than "Marty Stu", since Stuism itself is very sensitive and subjective matters, the only problem is to please the largest crowd and you succeed at doing that. I actually go WTF when reading your story (before I join this forum) but in later chapters I was convinced that your story is a good example how to do an OC right.

About Exodus, yep, Rong actually Screams "Marty Stu" in my standard.
Old 2011-11-09, 00:26   Link #6772
blitz1/2

Quote:
@ Rain
In my opinion "Probably a Stu" fits him better than "Marty Stu", since Stuism itself is very sensitive and subjective matters, the only problem is to please the largest crowd and you succeed at doing that.

About Exodus, yep, Rong actually Screams "Marty Stu" in my standard.
That actually reminds me of that Sekirei fic that I wrote back a long time ago (and dropped), the thing was that (if you know the sekirei plot) was that my fic was dealing with the alien race as a TOTALITY, not just the main canon characters and thus, because I placed more emphasis on the others, my characters were just labelled as a sue and I already mentioned that the main characters aren't going to get main roles, or just as cameos....A fan side story does not always have to shout SUE at you. -_-

Old 2011-11-09, 00:32   Link #6773
EthernalRain
Head of FRACTURE R&D

@ blitz: It's a sad day when you realize you have/want to drop a story. I dropped my first fanfic ever, a Negima one... Put over one hundred thousand words in it for about 7 reviews. I loved the plot so much... Well, at least my character and his story lives on in a still-running yet long existing RP.

@ Zero: That's nice to hear/read.
Old 2011-11-09, 00:35   Link #6774
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Blitz

You mean Light of Ascension? Too bad the chapter actually gave me some explanation about Sekirei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthernalRain View Post
@ blitz: It's a sad day when you realize you have/want to drop a story. I dropped my first fanfic ever, a Negima one... Put over one hundred thousand words in it for about 7 reviews. I loved the plot so much... Well, at least my character and his story lives on in a still-running yet long existing RP.
Kinda sad, the same goes with me (it's called Dissonant Lyrics, a Nanoha fanfic). In my case, being tired of fandom's whining prompt me to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthernalRain View Post
@ Zero: That's nice to hear/read.
You welcome.
Old 2011-11-09, 00:35   Link #6775
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Here's the next bit of IS Vandam II

Spoiler for Scene 3:
Now things begin to move.
Old 2011-11-09, 00:37   Link #6776
blitz1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Here's the next bit of IS Vandam II

Spoiler for Scene 3:
Now things begin to move.
Decepticons Vandams mobilise... xD

Old 2011-11-09, 00:46   Link #6777
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Gou Kajie, F-35MC, Take-off!

*Cue awesome music from TM Revolution*
Old 2011-11-09, 00:46   Link #6778
Eratas123

Damn I missed a lot! Better get to typing.

@ Jak - You showed us a video of the Silverbacks capabilities did you not? I'd say it's weaker than an IS.

@ Rain - The only thing is that incident with Ichika was an accident. Irish dips into psychosis at periods of time and he obviously has no restraint since he doesn't hesitate to stab anyone no matter their affiliation.

Irish isn't adjusted to society which is why he frequently doesn't think much of murder and other heinous acts. He was conditioned not to, that's why he had no hesitation kidnapping Cecilia and jumping onto Ichika's mech.
Old 2011-11-09, 00:53   Link #6779
EthernalRain
Head of FRACTURE R&D

@ Eratas: Another major difference between Irish and Kyuukai would be that Kyuukai has had quite a few world changing resolutions. One would take effect for a while, shaping his view of the world, then another would come along, skewing the old view over and taking its place. The process has repeated from age 6 onwards, so Kyuukai's psychological profile has ebbed and flowed over the years. Sometimes he's stable, sometimes he isn't.

Irish's psychological profile is more linear, I think. Maybe. I don't really know exactly , sorry. But he seems to have a different set/class of circumstances shaping his ideals and mentality, so he gets leeway and the right to be declared psychologically unstable and to snap whenever.
Old 2011-11-09, 00:54   Link #6780
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

LOL.
Here's Dan's scene

Spoiler for spoiler, obviously:

Uh, I think I went a little overboard and OOC....

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest