AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Old 2013-04-14, 21:56   Link #661
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeomni View Post
That's the beauty of this series so far. You've got the sweet hopeful opening with pretty girls in skimpy outfits against the harsh actions in the main story. It's like looking at complementary colors, you appreciate one more with the other.
Very nice writeup there. Made me feel a little less out of place. This, again, might sound weird, but for as much as I claim to be a fan of robots, I'm not a fan of war stories. Most of the robot action I've seen is stuff like Rinne no Lagrange or Gyrozetter or (what I'm really thinking of) Super Sentai. So I was drawn to this series for the Gragantians, which is why I mentioned in my capsule review of the first episode that I had forgotten this even was a mecha show. It's clear that the current Earth is fighting for its survival, but it also has this feeling of... adventure to it. Free spiritedness. I like that in my heroes and heroines.

And so we go.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 22:11   Link #662
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
I may have missed something, where did it say he was running out of power? Though i guess that would naturally happen anyway.
Sorry, I should have mentioned it was back in episode 1 which I re-watched recently along with episode 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
I wouldn't say running out of power but certainly low in power.

It's implied by how Chamber mentioned "even with our current power levels we can totally waste these scrubs".
Since Chambers is conserving energy, it implies that's it finite resource. His last fight with Hideauze sounds like took a lot out of him. There's no telling how long Ledo will stay on earth or if he will ever leave, so logically this will become big problem if alternative is found.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 22:14   Link #663
scr
my sides are in orbit

During the pirate "battle" part, my expression went from shock, to awe, to absolute terror. Appearance of such devastating weapon will drive the planet toward high-intensity war.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 22:15   Link #664
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Since Chambers is conserving energy, it implies that's it finite resource. His last fight with Hideauze sounds like took a lot out of him. There's no telling how long Ledo will stay on earth or if he will ever leave, so logically this will become big problem if alternative is found.
He could prob use those creatures in the Sea Galaxy for some energy supplementation.

Wouldn't it be funny is this was the alien "nursery" and those humans are food and they don't know it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
During the pirate "battle" part, my expression went from shock, to awe, to absolute terror. Appearance of such devastating weapon will drive the planet toward high-intensity war.
The planet doesn't have the technology to replicate it so it won't be an arms race. They'll just get steamrolled when Ledo's space people pays a visit.
Old 2013-04-14, 22:24   Link #665
Mangaka-chan

Saw the first two episodes and so far I like this show quite a lot. The two main characters do remind me somewhat of Kaname and Sousuke from FMP! but Ledo and Amy's characters' feel more natural given their circumstance. And the fact that Ledo is making a trench art ocarina from the Hideauze's tooth is really endearing to me for some reason.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 22:27   Link #666
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The planet doesn't have the technology to replicate it so it won't be an arms race. They'll just get steamrolled when Ledo's space people pays a visit.
But who is to say there aren't any advance tech underwater? There might not be tech advance as Ledo's machine, but there could be weapons that are powerful. In that area this show could be like Turn A Gundam, lot of hidden outdated machines underground, but existence of far more advance people in space.
I would actually like to know if or how much Ledo's people advanced their technology more after they left earth.
Old 2013-04-14, 22:27   Link #667
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
He could prob use those creatures in the Sea Galaxy for some energy supplementation.

Wouldn't it be funny is this was the alien "nursery" and those humans are food and they don't know it?
Don't give Urobuchi any ideas.

Quote:
Right, it would be like people from 1000 BC Greece trying to fight a modern day fighter jet.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 22:40   Link #668
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Right, it would be like people from 1000 BC Greece trying to fight a modern day fighter jet.
Something something movie adaptation John Travolta something something...
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 23:55   Link #669
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Suisei no Gargantia. First Thoughts

I found another winner title with this show for the current season, and I felt bad not giving a proper review for the first episode last week.

So, to start.....

The setting introduced in the prologue greatly reminded me of Gunbuster, at least because in space mankind faces possible extinction threat from the Hydeauze.

Mankind traveled into space and became a wandering species, but through the course of ages mankind's technology evolved to such lengths that it was capable of building a titan feat creating the artificial planet, Avalon, which houses a number of 470 million humans. Furthermore, this humans continue to strive and to excel in order to explore far deeper corners into space until finding a suitable planet with the proper conditions to sustain life.

Eventually, mankind gathered its groups in space forming a single nation, the Galactic Alliance to fend off against the Hydeauze which competes against mankind, reminding the former that even in space the ruthless laws of nature also take hold: the strong stand in their place while the weak must struggle to stand their ground and to find a proper place to fit in.

Now, after Red inside Chamber got suck through the wormhole I opened up myself to the possibility of a space-time travel into the past, or more specifically both got whisked and unwillingly landed into the Earth, mankind's birthplace which according to the Alliance's archives it became regarded as a hystorical myth by the humans who live in space.

The surprise for both Red and the locals when the former experience the setting and culture shock to find, after the analysis eliminated all possible except for a single match, that he found himself on Earth.
Through Amy, now we learned that Earth suffered a titan cataclysm that forced most of its population to take off into space, which their descendants eventually created Avalon and founded the Galactic Alliance.
On the other hand, those who stayed on Earth managed to endure and survived the cataclysm, though few suceeded to survive. However, the increased sun's heat melt the ice caps, thus increasing the ocean levels until the planet got covered in water. Fortunately, the survivors managed to live on giant ships to live and work on them. Subsequently, Earthling humans once again managed to increase their numbers and adapted to their new lifestyle, forming treaties and communities.

Both the descendants of the people who remain on Earth and the boy whom came from space, at first, regarded their origin stories a myth, but the facts remained.

Now, Ledo must learn how to cope with his new environment and start adapting, but it isn't going to be easy. Right now, unknowingly Ledo threw himself into a big pinch which could lead him to be ostracized and feared due to Chamber's one-sided and unrivaled power.
The people of Earth managed to develop technology to the level of 20th and 21st century standards and given their nature to live, work, struggle, and to find the land, they're not as much of serious competitors like the humans from space.
However, what's clear is that mankind's nightmarish predator will always be mankind itself.
The people on the ships must struggle and keep away from the pirates whose ruthlessness and lust makes them a danger not to be understimated, however, with Led and Chamber's arrival the balance of power has been easily trampled on.

People in Earth are not ready to take or understand the carnage that this technology from outer space unravels; it is too much for them, and it's out of their league of comprehension.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 23:57   Link #670
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
This being Gen, I immediately thought exactly that when that scene played. Thematically, it'd allow a much smoother way of folding the aliens back into the story if they were actually already there on Earth.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 00:08   Link #671
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Something something movie adaptation John Travolta something something...
When I see clips of that movie, my neck STILL hurts.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 01:16   Link #672
Marly
>AS

This is objectively the best show this season and Chamber is the best character in this show. This would logically translate into Chamber being the best character this season. I also don't see how the idea of time traveling would be silly in any level and how it wouldn't "make a difference." I'd think it would make a huge difference on what direction the plot will take.
Marly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 01:20   Link #673
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSkip View Post
Since Amy said she's never seen land, we can assume that Earth is underwater. However, there are seagulls flying in many scenes. Where do they sleep or make nests? Ship's deck?
Or there is land but the Sea Galaxies keep them in the middle of the ocean and they don't know it.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 01:35   Link #674
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Or there is land but the Sea Galaxies keep them in the middle of the ocean and they don't know it.
Couldn't the seagulls just as easily live on wrecks and boats and survive just fine? Half the time I see seagulls they're just perched on top of the creations of humanity anyhow.

Or in that one picture I took, hovering against a post like gravity is out of style.
Old 2013-04-15, 01:43   Link #675
Cirno
Eye'm the strongest

Someone's already done deciphering IGHL alphabet.

Images
Gargantia
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Cirno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 01:59   Link #676
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marly View Post
This is objectively the best show this season and Chamber is the best character in this show. This would logically translate into Chamber being the best character this season. I also don't see how the idea of time traveling would be silly in any level and how it wouldn't "make a difference." I'd think it would make a huge difference on what direction the plot will take.
Chamber works best in combination with Ledo though...and I guess Amy at this point too.

That's really is the dynamic which sells it -and by extension the other characters- right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
This being Gen, I immediately thought exactly that when that scene played. Thematically, it'd allow a much smoother way of folding the aliens back into the story if they were actually already there on Earth.
That's not impossible...but even then, I really doubt this will be a story with much of a tragic end so a bittersweet resolution, at most, is what I'd expect out of anything on that level.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 02:04   Link #677
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
A possibility is that there could be plenty of the time for the show to allude to this, if the writers had conceived that direction. For example, the people on the ships telling tales about mysterious phenomena like reports of alledged sea monsters or wandering ghosts ships in working conditions along with the cargo untouched but mysteriously devoid of any crew.

Changing the topic, I don't see either the theory of time travel that absurd. Actually, that was my first thought that crossed my mind when Chamber got sucked through the wormhole.

Or more likely, space-time travel, since Chamber arrived in the solar system through the other side of worm hole and crashed into Earth's ocean floor before being discovered and hauled up by the Gargantia.

It is an era after mankind has long recovered from the Earth's natural cataclysm and revived in considerable numbers. Their technology caught up with 20th/21st century standards but is still far off from the technological milestone of achieving the construction of artificial islands to live in; the humans in space evolved to the point of building Avalon, which houses 470 million humans, and they want to continue expanding their territory with the hope of finding a planet that can support life.
Old 2013-04-15, 02:11   Link #678
ReddyRedWolf

I do have to wonder if any of those propaganda dreams teach Ledo what sex is in the first place.

Cause he doesn't seem interested in the process of making babies.

Even his mech is saying he should get laid.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 02:14   Link #679
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Even his mech is saying he should get laid.
Chamber is so wise.
Old 2013-04-15, 02:14   Link #680
Clarste
Human

When I said "silly" I didn't mean it was absurd. I meant it would be pointless. I still don't understand what kind of plot could come out of it that's different from the plot of being stranded on the other side of the galaxy on a world that's presumably spent hundreds or thousands of years developing out of sight. Ledo's culture lost track of the Earth, and now the Earth is different from how they remembered it. Who cares if it's the past or the future? It's still completely different, especially since it's basically confirmed that Ledo's culture abandoned Earth centuries before the present, which means that regardless of when he is it's after his culture forgot about Earth. Which means anything that happens here is completely irrelevant to his civilization on the other side of the galaxy, and we have no sense of that civilizations history or even its current status so there's nothing interesting on that side either, time-travel wise. I guess it also implies that he'll never meet anyone he knows ever again, but he doesn't know anyone (or at least the show has made no attempt to play anything like that up).

There is basically no way that time travel could have any effect on the story, at least not in a way that any of the characters care about. Unless I guess the lightbugs turn out to be the ancestor of the Hideauze and Ledo needs to make a moral decision to exterminate them or not (since the human rely on them), but then again you could make the exact same story by saying they're the larval form or something. It simply makes no difference.

I challenge you naysayers: how exactly could time travel possibly have an effect on this show's plot in a way that couldn't be accounted for without time travel? Be specific.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi