AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2021-04-08, 13:12   Link #7081
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post

He always liked rom-coms. At least he has the guts to do a harem now.
Harem litreraly means NOT having guts to choose one heroine. Negima had lot of flaws, but at least romantic conclusion was decent.
Old 2021-04-08, 13:15   Link #7082
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
I wonder if Kirie is next. Also, first it was the sea and now it’s outer space, I wonder where’s next.
Seems like they're scrolling through the elements, so earth or wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Harem litreraly means NOT having guts to choose one heroine.
That's...not really it.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-08, 13:23   Link #7083
AP24

Quote:
Seems like they're scrolling through the elements, so earth or wind.
For earth it can be anywhere on land. For wind it should be in the sky.

Looking forward to see Kirie’s, it’s something she wanted since Ch135.

As for Eva, I’m curious if she’s going to be in adult form or child form.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-08, 13:42   Link #7084
Tenzen12

Quote:
That's...not really it.
That's exactly it.
Old 2021-04-08, 13:43   Link #7085
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
That's exactly it.
It really, really isn't.

Old 2021-04-08, 13:51   Link #7086
Tenzen12

There isn't any other reason to write harem. If everyone wins, there is no winner. Harem would only make sense if girls in it didn't suck, but that wouldn't fly because any girl willing do go through that is either coward unwiling to fight for her man (thus suck) or doesn't like him enough in first place (in which case she suck)
Old 2021-04-08, 13:58   Link #7087
XFire
150% done

I see Tenzen has already begun his harem rage rant

For my part I'm glad Akamatsu actually carried through with it, I thought he might back out after last chapter
Old 2021-04-08, 14:02   Link #7088
Tenzen12

Then why don't you try flip it. Try imagine you have to share your girlfriend with 10 other guys. That's called being cuck.
Old 2021-04-08, 14:07   Link #7089
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
For my part I'm glad Akamatsu actually carried through with it, I thought he might back out after last chapter
it was pretty obvious this was what he was going for, so seeing people screech about it is hilarious.

Quote:
Then why don't you try flip it. Try imagine you have to share your girlfriend with 10 other guys. That's called being cuck.
There are things called open relationships.

Old 2021-04-08, 14:08   Link #7090
XFire
150% done

Quote:
That's called a reverse harem, and is in fact a popular genre among young to young adult women

It's a fantasy rom com between a bunch of immortals, the fact that they act like human teenagers should have warned you away from expecting realism in the first place.
Old 2021-04-08, 14:13   Link #7091
Tenzen12

Except reverse harems don't usually end with harem ending (and if there is some then yes. it's girl with bunch of cuckold with no self-respect and it's probably only writen because author have guts to pick one).

Quote:
There are things called open relationships.
Open relationship isn't harem ending though. After all girls in question are all faithful, probably because they are affraid to get kicked out. Also if there is author making story with actual open relationship where heroines also get multiple lovers as well, I certainly wouldn't think such author lack guts. More like that he/she trying commit suicide by fans. Well, while I would hate it and probalby wouldn't finsish it, I would still have to give author some respect for their bold choices...
Old 2021-04-08, 14:18   Link #7092
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Except reverse harems doesn't actualy doesn't end with harem ending (and if there is some then yes it's girl with bunch of cuckold with no self-respect and it's probably only writen because author have guts to pick one).
There are a number that do, actually. And your personal hatred isn't going to change the fact that in a lot of the actual harem stories the character writing and chemistry is better than those drama filled shuraba trash
Old 2021-04-08, 14:22   Link #7093
Tenzen12

Well that's just means there are female authors who don't have guts to pick one male lead.

Also it doesn't matter if I hate it or whatever, only whether I am right, which I am.
Old 2021-04-08, 14:26   Link #7094
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Well that's just means there are female authors who don't have guts to pick one male lead.

Also it doesn't matter if hate it or not, only if I am right or wrong and I am not wrong.
No it means your personal interests and views aren't shared by everyone.

Yeah, you kinda are. The hilarious trashfires the fandoms of those harems where the writer has the "guts" to choose a girl inevitably descend into and the increasing popularity of the real harem genre makes that clear.
Old 2021-04-08, 14:29   Link #7095
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Yeah, you kinda are. The hilarious trashfires the fandoms of those harems where the writer has the "guts" to choose a girl inevitably descend into and the increasing popularity of the real harem genre makes that clear.
Exactly. It's getting to the point where writers are doing "What If' storylines when they choose the end girl.

For me, if you're not going with a harem end, don't bother doing a harem to begin with or at least end it as swiftly as possible.

Old 2021-04-08, 14:33   Link #7096
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Exactly. It's getting to the point where writers are doing "What If' storylines when they choose the end girl.

For me, if you're not going with a harem end, don't bother doing a harem to begin with or at least end it as swiftly as possible.
Pretty much. If you want a serious, realistic relationship than you should have left "harem" out of the search terms. Go read something about an actual married couple, those tend to have better handled and more enjoyable drama anyway
Old 2021-04-08, 14:36   Link #7097
Tenzen12

Because if everyone doesn't win, there is no point of competition?

Nothing against vanilla, but triangles and harem genre stories are more entertaining because there are bigger stakes (which then are ruined when author does not have guts write conclusion). It's like watching world cup just stop in finale and say everyone won. Harem stories are fun because you can choose your favorite and root for them. Sometimes you loose, but that's part of game. That's why this genre exist in first place.
Old 2021-04-08, 14:45   Link #7098
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Because if everyone doesn't win, there is no point of competition?

Nothing against vanilla, but triangles and harem genre stories are more entertaining because there are bigger stakes (which then are ruined when author does not have guts write conclusion). It's like watching world cup just stop in finale and say everyone won.
Except this is about relationships and not sports?

There's nothing particularly entertaining about watching a bunch of girls make fools of themselves while scrabbling for the D and trying to knock each other off tbh.

And one girl winning retroactively trashes any investment the readers might have in the other girls and makes the series borderline unreadable on a second time through.

Not to mention how absurdly toxic those fandoms always get as the series goes on.

If it's just stakes that you want, I'd recommend star crossed lovers and similar settings. Or maybe in a wartime setting. Get the stakes from the setting and such rather than betting on it like a horse race.

Quote:
Harem stories are fun because you can choose your favorite and root for them. Sometimes you loose, but that's part of game. That's why this genre exist in first place.
Harem stories are popular because young adults like to imagine scenarios where lots of attractive members of the opposite (or same) sex are attracted to them.

It's a relationship fantasy, and cutting it short because "lol realism" just ruins the fun.
Old 2021-04-08, 14:48   Link #7099
Shippuu
┐(-。ー')┌

For me there's really three times of harem stories.

Type A sees the MC surrounded by a bunch of girls. He may or may not have a specific love interest but nothing comes of it either way. The typical open non-ending.

Type B sees the MC still surrounded by girls except this time he gets together with one, several or all of them but it's poorly executed. The relationships have no depth, happen way too early in some stories, often feel so unearned it borders on disturbing and generally feel more like tinder hookups than actual romance. They are often designed to keep the readers guessing, to form camps and the ensuing waifu wars to sustain the work's popularity. They are not designed to be good stories or romances which is why, no matter who wins, it always feels unsatisfying at best. Often it just feels like an asspull regardless of whether the author actually planned it out or not.

Type C sees the MC get together with all or several of the girls but the relationships have actual depth and the story takes its time to flesh out each of them. Even the girls have a better relationship with each other compared to Type A and B, where they often just orbit the MC and have little else going on. Despite harem being one of the most common genres the actual Type C version is astronomically rare and you can probably count them on one hand.

I'm all for wish-fulfillment but that doesn't mean I don't have standards. As far as I'm concerned both A and B are waste of time for both the writer and the readers. I just don't understand what's enjoyable about it. If you're not going to do it properly don't bother with at all. Especially when you're neglecting the story, character development and worldbuilding because you keep getting sidetracked with this nonsense.

Last edited by Shippuu; 2021-04-08 at 15:03.
Shippuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-08, 14:48   Link #7100
Tenzen12

Nah harem genre stories are all about competition. If you don't want competition you would read vanilla instead.

Toxic fandoms are bad, but that's part of it too.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, mother-con, negima, sequel, time travel, waiting for love