AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-21, 18:17   Link #701
SugarBosomCCAC

SNOOP!

You're friggin' crazy! I was thinking about trying to find all of their names, but you beat me to it! Hahah. So sweet!

HEY EVERYONE: I found this on the link that WAO told us about to the Mushishi live journal community (which Cal-Reflector is part of). This is about an upcoming release of a Mushishi artbook.

User ambientlight posted:

'i thought i should share the pain:

1. a mushishi artbook is going to be released!
2. unfortunately, it is strictly order-only, i.e. you have to send in an order for it.
3. the relevant kodansha page says: Please note that we can only accept orders from customers residing in Japan.

for those of you lucky enough to live in japan/have a japanese mailing address/have some other way of obtaining this, here's what else i know about the artbook:

it will cost 4800 yen. orders close on the 7th of may. you have to be a member of kodansha's BOOK倶楽部 to order.

it is called 二十景, so i assume that there are only 20 pictures in it? including the tankoubon covers, presumably, in all their panoramic glory.

some of the pictures will be printed as if they were the original versions for the tankoubon covers, i.e. super huge (the one for volume two is 78 centimetres long, the site says), high-res, and on proper artist paper. paper like the one urushibara-sensei uses, apparently. which means watercolour paper, i suppose; rather like the current jackets of the japanese manga volumes? in a bid to be as faithful as possible to the original drawings, says the site.

the super-huge versions won't be folded, because they'll come in a tube.

the artbook will also include new pictures, drawn especially for the artbook. and urushibara-sensei's commentary on the pictures.'

So, get ready to drop over $50 to get the book imported! You can probably get it from a large Japanese book store chain called "Kinokuniya". They are a great bookstore that keeps things up to date when they release in Japan. You can order the books at the store or online.

Also, someone from the livejournal site posted this picture that looks like a real-life mushi. Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:G...acco_plant.jpg

SB-
SugarBosomCCAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 18:21   Link #702
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Ask him about the kind of music used in the series. What prompted him or Masuda Toshio to use that kind of music in the anime? What kind of feelings or thoughts did they exactly want to invoke to the viewers?
Ah, thats a genius question. I've always believe that a strong point of the Mushishi anime is the musical score --- the fact that they have certain tracks for each episode shows that. Your question could also be placed together with my 'Whats your favourite track from the two soundtracks?'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBosomCCAC View Post
Also, someone from the livejournal site posted this picture that looks like a real-life mushi. Here's the link:
I'm speechless --- though if they're looking for a Mushishi, i'm ready to go.
Old 2007-03-21, 19:26   Link #703
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
@SugarBosomCCAC:On the subject of female characters, I particularly like that woman in the episode about the ink stone as well. I found her story very touching for some reason—along with the stories of Tanyuu, Grandma Renzu and the mother who's losing her memory. Those stories make up my top four list actually. Darn it, I can't remember her name. (Hmmm, perhaps a rewatch is in order..?)

Oh yeah, I wonder if others have noticed this avatar I got (read: ripped) from Mushishi already. He's that horned kid from way back. It's kind of odd using it in forums or discussions considering it shows a kid covering his ears.
I think everyone recognizes that avatar; it is one of the earliest episodes afterall.

On the subject of the ink-stone chick: Tagane is her name, google "Mushishi inkstone." And yes, she's quite fascinating and left a deeper impression than most of the other characters; quite a feat considering how many there are.

On the subject of Mushishi Alternative: It doesn't have to be an Erogame; there are plenty of novel-type/dating games that have succeeded without H-scenes and fanservice... I just don't know any. But anyways the point was, is, ummm... a Romance RPG for Mushishi may have more potential than it sounds. Observe the list of characters, we have among them:

Wandering (blind) musician girl
Supernatural Tsundere Loli
Amnesiac Single Mother
Artisan/craftsman who lost her fiance
Disabled daughter of a well off family
Twin Sisters (One of them)
Down to earth Sister living alone with her brother
Stubborn professional rival lady

To name but a few.

To Heart2? Key? Type Moon? They've got nothing on Mushishi, which boasts the most original cast of girls and by far, by FAR the best male protagonist. A alternative summary for Mushishi could read as "Following the journeys of Ginko, the cavalier Mushishi, who between peddling suspicious merchandise like aphrodisiacs helps those afflicted by mushi, almost always resulting in attractive unattached woman becoming indebted to him." It would stay true to the original, just... interpreted in a slightly different light.

Did I mention that Mushishi Alternative would have the best male protagonist?
Old 2007-03-21, 19:43   Link #704
SugarBosomCCAC

Cal:

Somehow, Nui would have to come back for the game. I don't know how, but it'd be hot seeing Ginko mack with a prettier version of Ginko. He'd be all, "You knew me as a child, but now I'm all man".

Yeah.

SB-

P.S. So far for Nagahama questions, we have:

1. Future of Tanyuu and Ginko?

2. Favorite Episode?

3. Favorite Song/ Reason for style of music?

4. How long does an episode take to make/ how did color coating come into play?

5. Thanks for your work.

6. Why don't you come to France? (Snoop)

Did I miss any?

Last edited by SugarBosomCCAC; 2007-03-22 at 01:10.
Old 2007-03-21, 20:24   Link #705
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
On the subject of the ink-stone chick: Tagane is her name, google "Mushishi inkstone." And yes, she's quite fascinating and left a deeper impression than most of the other characters; quite a feat considering how many there are.
There we go. Thanks.

She's really great indeed. Why if it wasn't for Tanyuu, I probably would've considered Tagane as my most favorite female character in the series.

Quote:
Did I miss any?
The reason(s) for the style of music please. You can probably place this under question #3.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 20:28   Link #706
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Cal: We're gonna have to work on this idea of yours --- a fan disc sounds perfect. :3

& those questions look perfect SugarBosomCCAC. Its a real shame we all can't be there when you ask.
Old 2007-03-22, 01:08   Link #707
SugarBosomCCAC

Hey,

I was remembering last year someone asked series producer about "The Sore Feet Song" by Alley Kerr and why it was chosen as the opening theme.

The producer responded: "I don't think there was any special meaning. As it is with a lot of anime, people just get together in a room and say 'That sounds good' and that's how many anime opening sequences are chosen".

Now, that was the producer answering questions by himself because the director was late to the panel, so I will ask again. Hopefully, the director has his own story.

Also, has anyone ever listened to the full version of the "Sore Feet Song?". It's hilarious! He talks about holding up liquor stores, fighting bears, and killing them, too. I think they cut that out of the opening theme for ambiance's sake. Hahah.

Kujoe: Correction duly noted.

SB-
Old 2007-03-22, 01:28   Link #708
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Hey,
Also, has anyone ever listened to the full version of the "Sore Feet Song?". It's hilarious! He talks about holding up liquor stores, fighting bears, and killing them, too. I think they cut that out of the opening theme for ambiance's sake. Hahah.

Kujoe: Correction duly noted.

SB-
On how many times I've listened to the sore feet song: Windows Media Player tells me 103, add another hundred for times listened to on the iPod, yeah.

Correction: Do you mean the Ginko macking with a prettier version of Ginko? *Thinks about it* Or was that what you meant in the first place, that Nui is a prettier version of Ginko? I've always considered Nui as a mother figure to Ginko, but meh, if Renzu and Shinra are blushing at each other, then I guess anything goes.

Nui will feature as the main attraction for the expansion pack as Ginko's elder second cousin by ten years.
Old 2007-03-22, 03:08   Link #709
wao
OK.

Oh god, Cal-Reflector, I can't help but laugh hilariously at your ideas.. A dating sim version of Mushishi, it just sounds SO WRONG but at the asme time it would fit so well that it'd be hilarious crack (even for a girl like me)>

And I've been listening to the whole of Sore Feet Song before it was even released in Japan, I won't say by what horribly sneaky way I did it though (well, it involved a music video).

I love the song - although the whole theme of searching for someone and love keeping one strong doesn't completely fit with my vision of Ginko, although for those of you who love Ginko and Tanyuu (I might count...) it's nice to er, let your imagination go berserk .

My favourite line in the song HAS to be this though, I crack up every time: "I robbed convinience stores cos I thought they'd make it easier". LOL!

And now, ages after it was published, I am going to digest Mushishi 8 which I snagged from Kino's yesterday! I scanned through some of the chapters on the bus and is it me or is Ginko looking Speaking of which, SugarBosomCCAC, does Kinokuniya really help you order books as a proxy? What's the prices like? (You're probably speaking about America though, I assume)

Must resist reading the Afternoon chapters.
Old 2007-03-22, 03:43   Link #710
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Oh god, Cal-Reflector, I can't help but laugh hilariously at your ideas.. A dating sim version of Mushishi, it just sounds SO WRONG but at the asme time it would fit so well that it'd be hilarious crack (even for a girl like me)>
Actually Cal makes sense. Well, think about it. Each girl has a serious, a-matter-of-life-and-death personal problem which is tied to a mushishi for some reason. Enter Ginko who then interacts with the locals (because since it's the game version, all the girls live in the same town), finds clues, helps the girl out and makes her realize that life is oh so beautiful by shedding some insight from the mushishi problem while solving it at the same time. Bam! Instant drama. It's just like the series except with an added (crack) romantic element.

In fact, we already have a bunch of familiar character types:

- the default, main girl who already has some history with the protagonist (Tanyuu)
- the tsundere loli with quirky, albeit commanding speech patterns (Renzu)
- the oneesan who has yet to move on from her past (Tagane)
- the mature woman, the single mom with a problem (Sayo)
- the odd and mysterious, supernatural character, only available as an unlockable route after clearing the others (Nui)
- the obligatory best friend of the protagonist (Adashino-sensei)

See? It all makes sense. Now, all we need is...is.... holy crap, what the heck am I saying?! I can't believe it, but Cal's infectious ideas are starting to rub off on me!
Old 2007-03-22, 03:55   Link #711
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Actually Cal makes sense. Well, think about it. Each girl has a serious, a-matter-of-life-and-death personal problem which is tied to a mushishi for some reason. Enter Ginko who then interacts with the locals (because since it's the game version, all the girls live in the same town), finds clues, helps the girl out and makes her realize that life is oh so beautiful by shedding some insight from the mushishi problem while solving it at the same time. Bam! Instant drama. It's just like the series except with an added (crack) romantic element.

In fact, we already have a bunch of familiar character types:

- the default, main girl who already has some history with the protagonist (Tanyuu)
- the tsundere loli with quirky, albeit commanding speech patterns (Renzu)
- the oneesan who has yet to move on from her past (Tagane)
- the mature woman, the single mom with a problem (Sayo)
- the odd and mysterious, supernatural character, only available as an unlockable route after clearing the others (Nui)
- the obligatory best friend of the protagonist (Adashino-sensei)

See? It all makes sense. Now, all we need is...is.... holy crap, what the heck am I saying?! I can't believe it, but Cal's infectious ideas are starting to rub off on me!
*Smiles* Call me Johan.
Old 2007-03-22, 05:56   Link #712
Lost

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:G...acco_plant.jpg
That was engineered by men, mind you.

On Mushishi Alternative; well, the girls are already there (or at least their stereotypes are there - Great characterisation, kujoe ) - they will need to be given new names/faces; or if not, at the least given new stories behind them, or variants of the original story. Even new choices with different outcomes. Afterall, without the H, all that's left is the story (), and I wouldn't want to play a game with a story I already knew. So, time to take this idea off the ground and start with suggestions for new stories or/and new alternatives...
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 11:35   Link #713
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Thanks to the whole idea of Mushishi Alternative, i'm starting to vision Ginko in a Japanese school uniform (yeah, i'd turn gay for him). As for the female uniforms --- anyone got any ideas? I don't wanna vision them in past already used uniforms, hopefully something new that'll work for the girls.
Old 2007-03-22, 12:19   Link #714
Cal-Reflector

*Looks at all the... well, four people discussing the matter* What have I done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
On Mushishi Alternative; well, the girls are already there (or at least their stereotypes are there - Great characterisation, kujoe ) - they will need to be given new names/faces; or if not, at the least given new stories behind them, or variants of the original story. Even new choices with different outcomes. Afterall, without the H, all that's left is the story (), and I wouldn't want to play a game with a story I already knew. So, time to take this idea off the ground and start with suggestions for new stories or/and new alternatives...
1)It doesn't have to leave out the H. But maybe H, where it does occurr, wouldn't be the point of the game; shouldn't be. Even I would feel uncomfortable about bastardizing Mushishi that far when its supposed to be a tribute.
2)Same names/faces new stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Thanks to the whole idea of Mushishi Alternative, i'm starting to vision Ginko in a Japanese school uniform (yeah, i'd turn gay for him). As for the female uniforms --- anyone got any ideas? I don't wanna vision them in past already used uniforms, hopefully something new that'll work for the girls.
In my mind, I've always thought that, for the sake of story and convenince, the setting would be some small suburban community college town. This allows for 1)Accomodating a wide range of character ages, interests, and professions, neccessary for Mushishi 2)A location closer to nature to allow proximity to Mushi activity 3)A slower less crowded pace of life to match the original.
Old 2007-03-22, 12:44   Link #715
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
In my mind, I've always thought that, for the sake of story and convenince, the setting would be some small suburban community college town. This allows for 1)Accomodating a wide range of character ages, interests, and professions, neccessary for Mushishi 2)A location closer to nature to allow proximity to Mushi activity 3)A slower less crowded pace of life to match the original.
I never did say it would have to be set in a huge school --- your idea of course works much better when keeping the original concept in mind. I just wanna think about the girls in more cute uniforms. :3
Old 2007-03-22, 14:43   Link #716
wao
OK.

Well, some of the younger ones could be going to high school or middle school...

...Why am I doing this?! But I am so highly amused by the image of, say, Aya and Ito as high school girls...
Old 2007-03-22, 16:41   Link #717
kujoe
from head to heel

Well, it doesn't have to be set on a contemporary setting. You could still maintain the pseudo olden times vibe and still make it work. Moreover, you'd be staying much closer to the spirit of the original work (with the exception of the dating sim elements). I mean, Tanyuu wearing contemporary clothing or dressing up in a school uniform sounds like blasphemy! (Oh wait.)

But if it were going to be set on a university or high school, then you might have to play around with the backgrounds of the characters. For example here is what I came up with. In the same spirit as my previous list (God, here I go again...!) --

- Tanyuu is now the ojou-sama who lives away from home and lives a simple life with her Mushishi caretaker. Same year as Ginko and a long time friend of his. She's crippled due to the Mushi that resides in her leg, and doesn't go out as much.
- Tagane becomes the friendly but wistful senpai who has connections with the Calligraphy Club at school. She only has a few friends and quietly enjoys Ginko's company.
- Uhm... Renzu is the tsundere loli Ginko gets to banter with from time to time. For instance, when Ginko asks why she's been stalking a young boy, she becomes angry and tells him to respect the elderly.
- Sayo is the young mother of that kid who plays baseball with Ginko at the park. Kind and gentle, but for some reason she keeps forgetting Ginko's name...
- Nui was Ginko's teacher whom he greatly admired and respected, and he's still searching for her after she disappeared a few years ago. Where is she now?
- Adashino-sensei is now Adashino-kun, Ginko's buddy who likes to collect a lot of weird, Mushishi-related stuff, etc.

Man, I better stop digging myself a hole here..! There is just something sooo wrong, and yet so right about all of this. And for some reason, I can't help but find this line of musing entertaining and hilarious at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
*Looks at all the... well, four people discussing the matter* What have I done?
You're a monster, you know that?

Hmmm. Maybe I should come up with their introductory one-liners or something... yeah, of course. I can see it now...

Last edited by kujoe; 2007-03-23 at 00:52.
Old 2007-03-22, 17:10   Link #718
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
- Sayo is the young mother of that kid who plays baseball with Ginko at the park. Kind and gentle, but for some reason she keeps forgetting Ginko's name...
Who runs a small cafe/diner by herself that caters to the campus and local population, particular popular with the students, who affectionately refer to her as Okaasan. Over time, her son observes that Ginko gradually becomes one of few people whose name she can remember consistently, especially after Ginko gave her the advice to constantly create new memories; to think often of those she does not wish to forget...

That is, of course, the plot if you the player decide to "pursue" her.
Old 2007-03-22, 17:59   Link #719
lommm
l'homme de lommm

i remember a couple of months ago when Cal started this idea of Mushishi alternative and several of us thought it was something that was real. then Cal said it was not real, but a joke. now the joke has taken on a life of its own as we are all comtemplating how to structure it. maybe we should actually make a group effort fanfic...?
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 18:01   Link #720
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post
maybe we should actually make a group effort fanfic...?
I really do believe we have enough material to do so --- and i'm sure anyone can tell it would be so much fun to work on. :3

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural