Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-28, 23:03   Link #701
Auxilism
For the yuri (╹◡╹)

Free gifs:

To conclude my 'make a gif from every episode' campaign:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Final product resized to 427x240 13.2 megabytes: http://uploadir.com/u/sjlp53vg
Download the full 640x360 26.2 megabyte gif: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8k...psum_final.gif
Characters are from Madoka Magica, Symphogear and Sakura Trick.
Please see the uncompressed version on the right.
Click this for my gif request thread.Max quality version
I take gif requests here.
Please read the opening post (revised as of 22/8/2014).

Last edited by Auxilism; 2014-03-29 at 00:02.
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 01:11   Link #702
The Green One

A cute end to a cute series. I'll miss this as my weekly unwind Anime.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 01:13   Link #703
Sol Falling

Great last episode. I think a lot of people, particularly those familiar with the manga, might be a bit too pessimistic about the 'not real lovers' thing. Really, as much as it even matters, Yuu and Haruka have already said they love each other (with this episode). If Yuu and Haruka's current "love" is enough for them to hold hands, go out with each other, sleep over together, and kiss, isn't that enough? The only thing I can think of which might separate Yuu and Haruka's relationship from the conventional concept of "lovers" would be having sex.

Well, aside from that, I suppose you could get down into the specifics of the difference between the Japanese words "suki" and "ai". But really, what it comes down to the same maturity angle which is what I believe this whole "love" issue the show has brought up is really dealing with. If you consider what that last (freakin' intense, btw) kiss scene was trying to communicate, I think that was the entire point: (sexual) awareness/maturity. By saying "suki" while kissing each other Yuu and Haruka were bringing their passion to a level unlike ever before. However, rather than allowing that passion to be brought to its natural (mature) climax, Yuu and Haruka backed off out of 'embarrassment'. What that 'embarrassment' said to me was very simply discomfort with allowing their bodies to go out of control in a wildly unfamiliar way.

Accordingly, the point where Yuu and Haruka become "real lovers" might simply be the point where they finally have sex. However, as (at this point, 15-16 yr olds), I think it is totally reasonable that they are still too immature to even approach the subject. But similarly to how Yuu and Haruka have been shown not to have a ready or conscious awareness of 'sexuality', it is also natural that they neither understand the concept of 'sexual orientation'. Basically, from this perspective I think it is perfectly natural that Yuu/Haruka do not demonstrate any conscious attention to things like (formal) "dating" or "being lesbian".

The current 'shying away from' of sexuality in Yuu and Haruka's relationship has been further underlined in prior episodes with stuff like Haruka's discomfort with having her breasts touched. Really, I think a somewhat curious sense of a lack of 'real' sexuality had been subtly present throughout the whole show. To one extent I had somewhat dismissed it as simply complying with magazine and television content guidelines/laws. However I now see that it was a deliberate theme. And in that light, it's a theme I consider particularly interesting and believable in the context of Yuu and Haruka's relationship. In fact, assuming that Tachi at some point actually goes through with it, I consider it very bold that she has set her story up to be dealing with the delicate process/idea of sexual awakening.

Anyway, as for the show itself: main idea is, I really loved it. Although the execution could've been better in a lot of places, I would dearly enjoy a second season. The BDs will mark my first imported anime series with the only exception of the Madoka movie adaptations. I'm also pretty sure I will follow through with the rest of the manga; my shaky Japanese is enough for my own comprehension, so at this rate I might even move into scanlation if I have to.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2014-03-29 at 03:29.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 02:19   Link #704
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Great last episode. I think a lot of people, particularly those familiar with the manga, might be a bit too pessimistic about the 'not real lovers' thing. Really, as much as it even matters, Yuu and Haruka have already said they love each other (with this episode). If Yuu and Haruka's current "love" is enough for them to hold hands, go out with each other, sleep over together, and kiss, isn't that enough?
If what they have is enough for them, that's okay. But I'm not sure that's the case. To begin with, Haruka's interest in figure things out seemed a bit deeper than mere curiosity, at least for a moment. More importantly, unlike Haruka, Yuu already gets this stuff. She knows what love is. She knows their relationship isn't just friendship but not lovers either. And the thing is, I'm not sure she's fine with this. I think she's letting things move at their pace because she's a bit scared of taking the next step. She's basically alone on this after all, since Haruka's clueless about it. There's an emotional gap between them, and it's probably going to effect their relationship at some point, I think.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-03-29 at 02:37.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 06:02   Link #705
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

She's just checking her temperature, yup. Cheek to cheek, you know, the whole forehead thing is so old-fashioned.... While they are on the grassy plains.... some creepy crawly bugs crawling up their necks... *runs for his life*
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 06:04   Link #706
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
A cute end to a cute series. I'll miss this as my weekly unwind Anime.
Same here, and I'm glad that Mitsuki-kaichou mustered all of her courage to confess to TAKAYAMA HARUKA! Then again, Haruka has Yuu-chan so sorry Mitsuki...
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 06:40   Link #707
Kazu-kun

^ Mitsuki has Rina so there's nothing to be sorry about.
Old 2014-03-29, 06:41   Link #708
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
^ Mitsuki has Rina so there's nothing to be sorry about.
Then again, Mitsuki has no idea that Rina has a crush on her. So, they're just friends!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 08:13   Link #709
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I didn't expect Mitsuki to outright try to NTR Yuu. As an older sister, she should be more considerate of her younger sister's feelings. She was being pretty selfish. Even so, I can't really blame her for following her heart. She needed to confess to Haruka first in order to later be able to give up on her. In the end, it all turned out for the best, but this could have been pretty messy (it's not that kind of series though, and I like it for that)

I figured Haruka was a bit clueless about love, but I didn't think it was that bad. She really has no idea what it is. There's no doubt in my mind she loves Yuu (she's always thinking about her and wants to kiss her all the time) but it seems like she doesn't understand her own feelings. Surprisingly, Yuu is the most mature of the two when it comes to romance. I think she really meant it when she declared her love for Haruka. In my view, the two of them are already lovers, they (especially Haruka) just don't know it yet.

Although I liked Mitsuki, I'm glad she's out of the way. Sakura Trick doesn't need love triangles. I loved this show precisely because it doesn't have the usual melodrama that plagues yuri, and romance in general. It's just cute lesbians doing cute lesbians things, with good comedy to boot. It's a real breath of fresh air compared to slice-of-life shows with yuri undertones that never, ever cross the line. As a fan of slice-of-life/comedy and yuri, I've always wanted to see an anime that mixed the two, and Sakura Trick is that anime. A solid 9/10. I need another season!!
Old 2014-03-29, 08:16   Link #710
Biohazardous

Mitsuki might not know at this second but based on what she has learned she will. I'd hope that us seeing Mitsuki in the future doesn't evolve jus us seeing her with Yuu and Haruka. I'd like to see Mitsuki think back on what she said and what happened with Haruka. We always get a little peak back to that kind of stuff. Mitsuki can think about that then the things Rina said. This will probably have her think wait a minute does she like me? We can then get a side story of the two of them. Hopefully she wont mess around and will just ask Rina.

I cant wait for another season if we are lucky and some OVA's I also cant wait for more Sakura manga translated.

*edit*
Kanon Mitsuki knew and admitted she was going to be selfish. While it does suck to consider doing that kind of thing to someone you love (sister) it was best for everyone. Even Rina saw that and basically made her own little confession. This story needs to continue. I'd love to have a few chapters even let us know what's going on with everyone after graduation too at the end.
Biohazardous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 11:21   Link #711
Kazu-kun

Mitsuki had to confess, so I don't blame her for that. What I did not like is that she didn't even spared a thought about her sisters' feelings. That, more than the confession, makes her come across as selfish imo.
Old 2014-03-29, 16:33   Link #712
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Then again, Mitsuki has no idea that Rina has a crush on her. So, they're just friends!
It is such a common thing, not seeing someone close is in love with you.

But one day Mitsuki will report to Rina
Old 2014-03-29, 17:36   Link #713
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
That's going to change soon enough.
Old 2014-03-29, 21:04   Link #714
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well they kick off the yuri way to soon and Yuu became annoying

5/10 It just stays with kissing
Old 2014-03-29, 21:24   Link #715
ZodiacBeast
Dreaming Butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Well they kick off the yuri way to soon and Yuu became annoying

5/10 It just stays with kissing
Yeah, it's cute, but that's about it. I also find Yuu to be really annoying, and it doesn't really have a more mature counterpart in the relationship to balance it since Haruka is pretty childish herself.

I'm glad that the yuri fans (me included) got their anime, but it seems to not be selling that well.

...is it weird that I enjoy "yuri" anime like MariMite when it's not even really a yuri anime (uh...except for those two girls) over Sakura Trick?

"Lincoln had potential. However, his weakness was he couldn't handle bullets." - Hoshimiya Kate
ZodiacBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 21:27   Link #716
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodiacBeast View Post
is it weird that I enjoy "yuri" anime like MariMite when it's not even really a yuri anime (uh...except for those two girls) over Sakura Trick?
I guess. Personally, I did like MariMite but I enjoyed this a lot more. Well, except for the Mitsuki moments. She was just too annoying.
Old 2014-03-30, 02:14   Link #717
teja208
Critical fanboy

Episode 12 and Final Impression

Ahh well, it’s finally over, so here goes my final impression of Sakura Trick.

I do really appreciate that the author of this series is bold enough to go far as introducing a few official couples with them kissing each other. This is what makes this series stands out from the rest of “cute girls” genre. However, this series also comes with admitingly many obvious flaws that are very hard to dismiss. The flaws came from an unexpected angle, something I had rarely seen in other “cute girls” series, and I’m a big fan of those kinds of genre.

Now let me start by comparing my impression of before and after the final episode. This one episode had quite a massive impact on my overall impression of the whole series, and not in a positive light, and it concerns Mitsuki and Haruka.

Mitsuki

Impression before the Final Episode

Spoiler for length:

Impression after the Final Episode

Spoiler for length:

Haruka

Impression before the Final Episode

Spoiler for length:

Impression after the Final Episode

Spoiler for length:

Kotone and Shizuku

Spoiler for length:

Well, I’ve covered most of the stuffs I want to say. Now it’s time for my final verdict.

Overall Impression

Without taking into account of the final episode, I do say for most part, I find Sakura Trick enjoyable despite its shortcomings. Normally, this series could’ve easily scored a 10 from me with well established official yuri couples, and HarukaxYuu has such great chemistry together. However, the author could use a better screentime distribution and some characters behaviors aren’t consistent especially coming from Mitsuki and Haruka in the final episode. Overall, the author is good at creating interesting and entertaining characters with good chemistry but aren’t as skilled at managing them. The flaws are very difficult to overlook and the final episode has a negative impact on my impression of some characters. In the end, the highest score I can give this is a 7/10.

So do I want a 2nd season? Like most “cute girls” series, I will definitely be watching when it comes around, but if you asked me whether I’m looking forward to it, I could only answer, “not so much compared to new season of K-on or Hidamari Sketch.” For me, all the unique good points and unusual bad points of this series offsets each other completely that it result in +/- 0 so I feel quite neutral about it despite this series being anything but average in almost every aspect. The flaws aren’t easy to ignore, but not something I can’t tolerate.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-30, 03:07   Link #718
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Spoiler for length:
That was my impression as well. The manga is exactly the same so my guess is that this change in Haruka's characterization was forced by Tachi's editor to drag things out and that's why it comes across as inconsistent. Although, the way Tachi handled Mitsuki was awful so maybe she's just a crappy writer.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-03-30 at 03:40.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-30, 03:32   Link #719
shigeru212

@teja208

Your comments are very well thought-out and for the most part I agree. Sakura Trick is a very fun show but it definitely could have been even better. As you mentioned, I think there was too much focus on Yuu and Haruka and not nearly enough focus Kotone and Shizuku.

In the end, Studio Deen should have been more proactive here, if they had the flexibility to do so of course. From what I heard, they adapted the manga faithfully but they should have added in more Kotone and Shizuku, even if the original author didn't. Not adapting the manga "faithfully" is always a risky proposition, something that shouldn't be done haphazardly, but I think the source material needed some minor alterations, basically more Kotone and Shizuku, to make the anime as appealing as possible.

There was just too much focus on Haruka and Yuu. Their relationship was interesting but this show would have better if they spotlighted another couple as well. Other slice of life shows do a much better job of balancing out screen time. Additionally, this manga has a lot more yuri than other similar manga (like Kinmoza and Yuyushiki), so I think it would have been better to hold everything else fairly constant and see how fans would have responded to the additional yuri, instead of the additional yuri plus other alterations to the genre.

That being said, it was still an enjoyable series. I hope to see more yuri adaptions in the future and I hope another production committee takes a chance on another yuri light novel or manga.
shigeru212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-30, 05:55   Link #720
Biohazardous

I think Mitsuki and Ruri would start after Mutsuki has her reflection of the things that happened. Especially if Ruri got her to reflect by sharing it all with her. This would leave her able to tell her feeling or jus be bold and possibly steal a kiss. I want to see what happens with them along with the others.
Biohazardous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4koma, manga time kirara, yuri