Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-13, 23:12   Link #7261
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist

Send a message via AIM to neutralizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by anselfir View Post
shallow in the relative sense. when you do a character A > character B based on a relatively shallow criteria.

anyway this is a bit offtopic
I would think that moe qualities include moral character and personal qualities. It's not just physical appearance.
Old 2007-10-13, 23:16   Link #7262
orange.a
SUN faction member
*Graphic Designer

I wasn't judging based on moe neither.

I was judging based on overrall character traits, personality twists and traits, plot strenghts and at which what extent they can reach the viewers. Runa and San certainly have all of them, while others not.

I liked to get a little offtopic with this but I guess it was a hard thing to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralizer View Post
I would think that moe qualities include moral character and personal qualities. It's not just physical appearance.
And you wouldn't be wrong, at all ^^

Now I'm off to play some Dungeon Siege II, later mates <3
Old 2007-10-13, 23:27   Link #7263
anselfir
Style Über Alles

I frankly fail to see any values in a harem comedy show.
Old 2007-10-13, 23:33   Link #7264
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Then you aren't looking deeply and just judging based on genre. Just because the show makes you laugh along the way hardly means the characters don't have depth and there aren't important values there.

Anyways can't wait to get to the next stage of the tournament. Can finally see the finish line and just know there will be despair along the way.
Old 2007-10-13, 23:35   Link #7265
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist

Quote:
Well, good for you. You're entitled to like whatever kind of anime you want. But just because you don't find values in a harem comedy, doesn't mean that other people can't enjoy a popcorn anime with mounds of entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Anyways can't wait to get to the next stage of the tournament. Can finally see the finish line and just know there will be despair along the way.
The rounds. They get shorter and shorter. I look on the calendar of matches and can see the end, but the question is what kind of epic matchups will be along the way. Especially after the randomizer for the Elite 8.
Old 2007-10-13, 23:50   Link #7266
Mad Dog
Banned

Before this sweet 16 star i just want to have a little run down on your opinions on what were your favorite moments of the Tournament so far.

A few of may favorite moments were when Yue, Nodoka, and Asuna were all knocked out. None of the Negima!? girls should have even gotten past the prelims and seeing them get taught a lesson was very gratifying. Now if only Konoka had faced one of the Dolls earlier on none of the BS about Konoka making it this far would have ever happened.

Another moment would be seeing Tsukasa take up the flag as leader of the LS army. She bravely took on the roll after her sister's (unfair and highly contested) demise and got past the 3rd round. To all the San fans be happy that San gave Tsukasa a good run for her money, you guys should be proud. And In my eyes the more wins Tsukasa gets the better it will make San look.

Yutaka, although lost to Nanoha in the end of the 1st round, really gave the Nanoha faction a BIG scare. I can't imagine the shock it would have caused to the Nanoha legion if their White Devil had been taken down by a little sickly girl in the very 1st round, who at the time barely had any aire time to start with at that time. If the Tournament had started 2 weeks later after Yutaka had more aire time, the outcome could have been way different with Yutaka actually winning. Too bad i was forced to miss that match, otherwise Yutaka would have only lost by 7 votes.

Seeing Gin murder Fate was a site that i will always remember. I don't like ANY of the Nanoha characters and seeing Fate get upended on my birthday for that matter was a great site.

And finally Sayuri. Who would have guessed she would have come this far? She is the true Cinderella story here. And seeing her get revenge upon Eruruu for beating our poor Ugu! was very sweet. Lets just see if her Cinderella story can continue! And who knows! People love to cheer on the Cinderella character!

Last edited by Mad Dog; 2007-10-13 at 23:58. Reason: Changed Desu to Gin.
Old 2007-10-13, 23:55   Link #7267
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
Seeing Desu murder Fate was a site that i will always remember. I don't like ANY of the Nanoha characters and seeing Fate get upended on my birthday for that matter was a great site.

You must have been watching a match in some alternate universe. Certainly it wasn't Desu who beat Fate this year... In any case, Fate crushed Suigintou in Koreanmoe and she will continue to do the same with Desu... So there!!!!
Old 2007-10-13, 23:57   Link #7268
Mad Dog
Banned

DO'h! I meant Gin not Desu. I get them mixed up sometimes.

And who cares about the Ksaimoe. The J Saimoe is the one that REALLY matters.
Old 2007-10-13, 23:58   Link #7269
anselfir
Style Über Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Then you aren't looking deeply and just judging based on genre. Just because the show makes you laugh along the way hardly means the characters don't have depth and there aren't important values there.

I dont mean entertainment value etc. I am very easily entertained. I just think they are shallow characters, or rather, the genre is a shallow expression of character. Let's face it, the otaku/hikikomori population isn't a foundation of good values.
Old 2007-10-13, 23:59   Link #7270
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist

Quote:
Before this sweet 16 star i just want to have a little run down on your opinions on what were your favorite moments of the Tournament so far.

A few of may favorite moments were when Yue, Nodoka, and Asuna were all knocked out. None of the Negima!? girls should have even gotten past the prelims and seeing them get taught a lesson was very gratifying. Now if only Konoka had faced one of the Dolls earlier on none of the BS about Konoka making it this far would have ever happened.
You know some people like the Negima girls. Don't kick people in the face when you don't want it to happen to you.

Quote:
Another moment would be seeing Tsukasa take up the flag as leader of the LS army. She bravely took on the roll after her sister's (unfair and highly contested) demise and got past the 3rd round. To all the San fans be happy that San gave Tsukasa a good run for her money, you guys should be proud. And In my eyes the more wins Tsukasa gets the better it will make San look.
Only you contest it.

Quote:
Yutaka, although lost to Nanoha in the end of the 1st round, really gave the Nanoha faction a BIG scare. I can't imagine the shock it would have caused to the Nanoha legion if their White Devil had been taken down by a little sickly girl in the very 1st round, who at the time barely had any aire time to start with at that time. If the Tournament had started 2 weeks later after Yutaka had more aire time, the outcome could have been way different with Yutaka actually winning. Too bad i was forced to miss that match, otherwise Yutaka would have only lost by 7 votes.

Seeing Desu murder Fate was a site that i will always remember. I don't like ANY of the Nanoha characters and seeing Fate get upended on my birthday for that matter was a great site.
Again, with the rubbing salt into wounds. BTW, in case you didn't notice, Fate lost to Gin, not Desu. And it wasn't a murder, they were fairly close. What happened in Best Moe between Fate and Gin was a murder.
Old 2007-10-14, 00:00   Link #7271
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
DO'h! I meant Gin not Desu. I get them mixed up sometimes.

And who cares about the Ksaimoe. The J Saimoe is the one that REALLY matters.
Not true. K.Saimoe will inevitably become the international moe tournament, Saimoe is made up of fake voting and angry i.p. banned foreigners. Myself included.

Last edited by Demi.; 2007-10-14 at 00:35.
Old 2007-10-14, 00:04   Link #7272
anselfir
Style Über Alles

Well, that much is true. The korean tournament is much more professional and superior. It is not comparable.
Old 2007-10-14, 00:07   Link #7273
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

Eh... I got in the mood to do a little reliving ... isn't turning out very good.. probably because I'm trying to stay too close to the last arc and somehow make it make sense.

Spoiler for It already doesn't make sense...:
Old 2007-10-14, 00:18   Link #7274
Falkor

Quote:

And finally Sayuri. Who would have guessed she would have come this far? She is the true Cinderella story here. And seeing her get revenge upon Eruruu for beating our poor Ugu! was very sweet. Lets just see if her Cinderella story can continue! And who knows! People love to cheer on the Cinderella character!
Your hate for Negima!? and Nanoha is quite unbelievable as to say they shouldn't be here at all. If they are to be eliminated, they will eventually be at any given point. Some people like Negima!? and will be very frustrated to see Konoka go in the next round and far worse to be constantly repeated that none of the girls shouldn't be in the tournament.

Plz, let Yutaka rest in peace. She did good enough against Nanoha considering her screen time. If Yutaka had more screen time... it didn't happen; she lost by a thin margin and still means that she lost. She is not here anymore.

I still don't understand how is Sayuri's journey through Saimoe related to Cinderella's story. Will her magical transformation end at midnight or a prince in white horse marry her by tracking down her slipper? Just kidding. To each his own i guess. For me Sayuri's success is due to a chain of coincidental and beneficial situations where Aria's vote was split and Eruru's support was dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todkapuz
Eh... I got in the mood to do a little reliving ... isn't turning out very good.. probably because I'm trying to stay too close to the last arc and somehow make it make sense.
Some people sure have time
Old 2007-10-14, 00:19   Link #7275
orange.a
SUN faction member
*Graphic Designer

Hey wait just a minute.... SnH isn't a popcorn anime =[

*orange is sad*
Old 2007-10-14, 00:21   Link #7276
-CaliphLysius-
I AM BOSS

My thoughts on the group finals:

As usual, bold indicates my picks, italicized indicates who I think will actually win:

Group A: Shana vs. Nagi

If you had asked me 2 weeks ago who was going to win this match-up, I would have said Nagi. However, all the close-calls that Shana has been going through in both J-Saimoe and K-Saimoe have surely rallied a large amount of fan support behind the character. Momentum is squarely on Shana's side, both with SnS season II starting and the backing of her votes. Personally, I'm voting for Shana because when i watched HnG I just couldn't stand Nagi.

Group B: Konata vs. Konoka

Konata has the fanbase support here, but this match is surely going to be a close one. Konata is by far my favorite character from Lucky-Star, so my vote wasn't difficult, but this match-up could very easily swing either way. In the end, I think the otaku-ness of Konata will help to win out over the anti-KyoAni out there, especially since it seems like Negima's fanbase's support is wavering down the stretch in the two tournaments.

Group C: Nanoha vs. Vita

I haven't seen Nanoha, so I'll probably abstain from voting in this group's finals. However, everything that I've read indicates that the fanbase will support Nanoha over Vita, boosting her into a second Top 8.

Group D: Yuno vs. Rena

I can't quite decide which way this match-up will go, but I'm definitely throwing in my vote for Rena. A loli psychotic yandere who can (and will) chop you up into tiny pieces? sign me up please!

Group E: Shinku vs. Ayumu

I'm honestly surprised that Hamster is still in the tournament at this point. Considering her character status in HnG, I would've expected her to lose to Teana, or at least Tamao. However, she's managed to persevere. I know there's a lot of talk regarding sacrificing Shinku in favor of Desu/Suigintou, but I think the right decision for Rozen Maiden fans would be to sacrifice Desu, since that outcome of that contest is much less certain.

Group F: Suiseiseki vs. Tsukasa

Sorry, I don't think there will be a repeat here this year. The match-up is very nearly 50-50, and it is very probable that when the day comes, Desu will defeat Tsukasa, but the correct decision here, strategically, is to allow Tsukasa to advance in favor of pursuing a Suigintou victory in the Top 8. Both of these characters are extremely moe, although in different ways. Personally, I think Suiseiseki has a lot more depth to her than Tsukasa, although what made me fall in love with Tsukasa in the first place was the fact that so many of the quirks about her character I could see inside myself and my friends.

Group G: Sayuri vs. Rika

This vote is purely based on the series for me, but I don't think that Rika has the power necessary to overcome Sayuri.

Group H: Suigintou vs. Louise

The most "sure" of the brackets, although if Saimoe has taught us anything it's that it can always leave us in despair with a few, nasty surprises. However, this is most likely the year that Gin wins it all.

So what type of Top 8 does that give us?

We'll have 3 KyoAni characters (2 from Lucky Star), 2 Dolls, 1 return champion, Shana, the dark horse, and either one Higruashi character or one Hidamari character. Unless they get favorable pairings, I'd expect all 3 KyoAni characters to be out in the Quarterfinals, although if one of the Lucky Star characters gets paired against Shinku, I'd say they'd advance over her. Nanoha won't lose to anyone except for Suigintou or Shana, but that means she could be out in any round, depending on her pairings. I think Suigintou is the most likely character to win at this point, although if she's paired up against Nanoha (and defeats her) in the Quarterfinals, that's going to create a lot of hate-votes from the Nanoha faction for defeating both Fate and Nanoha, which might relegate her to an early exit, especially if it's against Shana in the Semis.

Most likely winner: Suigintou
Also likely: Shana
Possible but probably not: Nanoha repeat
Old 2007-10-14, 00:36   Link #7277
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

He is not quite at that level yet but mad dog reminds me of "rin-sama" form last year.

both of them seems to like to pick fights with people for no reason.

As far as match ups. I like nanoha's chance against anyone but gin. Shana is the hot thing going right now but there is a lot of Nanoha fans over at the K.saimoe who are frothing at the mouth over nanoha's 1 vote lost to shana. This would be the time to avenge that match.

As far as the sugintou match. it is going to depend on a lot of factors. if they meet in the finals Gin has a slightly better chance. but if they meet before the finals you might see a lot of tactical voting in Nanoha's favor in order to knock out Gin before Gin can knock their character. As it is Gin is currently the leader in the number of votes receive so far.
Old 2007-10-14, 00:39   Link #7278
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by todkapuz View Post

Goodness! You did all that? ^^000

The Rika-supporter in me applauds you.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2007-10-14, 00:39   Link #7279
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by todkapuz View Post

Wow...Feel some deja vu there. Not sure if it's related to the Higuarashi episode or whether I'm picking up memories from a previous Saimoe 2007. Though perhaps there is too much despair to push into that. Still really an amazing job with that.

Predictions beyond these matches can be pretty dangerous. For the reason we have no clue who will win or go up against who. Toss in tactics, revenge, the expected fake votes, and what is going on in K.Saimoe there are a ton of factors to wade through.
Old 2007-10-14, 01:53   Link #7280
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post

Some people sure have time
eh.... it's more like I just dont want to think about the things I am supposed to be thinking about.... i've needed a "break from reality" for awhile...

but took a break to watch some sky girls and seto no hanayome... hm.

Spoiler for Next few matches of interest in my portraying of the story.:

Last edited by todkapuz; 2007-10-14 at 02:35.
Closed Thread