AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-12-20, 02:47   Link #7381
TwilightsCall

Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
One thing I couldn't help but think while I was reading Episode 8. I know (or atleast I seem to remember hearing) that Ryukishi named the Witch Hunters in the series as a nod to you guys, so I felt like I needed to ask, did you guys get mixed feelings at all when he started painting them in a...less then positive light? xD
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 04:11   Link #7382
AlexiaCarcera

Done marathoning! Over all, ep 8 was better than I expected, and I thoroughly enjoyed both ends <3.

Just wanted to join in the giving of thanks! I may have joined the party late (I joined in during the wait for ep 6 after marathoning ep 1~5 early january) but these few years were still very fun and I'm glad that you were the ones to translate it!

Quite a weird feeling now that I can actually remove W-H and the forums from my bookmark bar and just check every few months. I think I'll actually miss the wait for translations and the spoiler avoiding.

;_;

Spoiler for Photo! I can't draw hearts fffff:

Spoiler for typo:
Old 2011-12-20, 07:25   Link #7383
goldenlove27
Tortured Pet

Hey guys, I was re-reading Umineko EP 8 over again and found a problem by the time Ange gets her lice of cake. I'm not entirely sure of this problem is only on my part but I thought I should present it. When "Reflection-Call" plays, it sounds like a slower and put of tune version of what it normally sounds like. I'm sorry that I can't explain it better but if there's any way I can give a better example please let me know.

Edit: "le4-octobre" has the same error when on EP 7 when Krauss is introducing Leon to Will.
"Reflection-Call" is the same way when played in EP 7. I will see if reinstalling the game will fix this problem.

Edit 2: Thanks for your help guys. It was because I was playing around with my ons.cfg file a few months back when I was fixing the text of the game with it.
Thanks for the code Yirba, it fixed it up nicely.

Last edited by goldenlove27; 2011-12-20 at 10:24. Reason: Problem fixed
goldenlove27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 07:58   Link #7384
Witch of Uncertainty

I've been stuck on Bernkastel's game forever.. I suck at this.
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 08:26   Link #7385
st_nick5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove27 View Post
Hey guys, I was re-reading Umineko EP 8 over again and found a problem by the time Ange gets her lice of cake. I'm not entirely sure of this problem is only on my part but I thought I should present it. When "Reflection-Call" plays, it sounds like a slower and put of tune version of what it normally sounds like. I'm sorry that I can't explain it better but if there's any way I can give a better example please let me know.

Edit: "le4-octobre" has the same error when on EP 7 when Krauss is introducing Leon to Will.
"Reflection-Call" is the same way when played in EP 7. I will see if reinstalling the game will fix this problem.
I think this was a bug in onscripter wasn't it? I think someone mentioned how to fix it earlier in the thread.
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 09:00   Link #7386
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
One thing I couldn't help but think while I was reading Episode 8. I know (or atleast I seem to remember hearing) that Ryukishi named the Witch Hunters in the series as a nod to you guys, so I felt like I needed to ask, did you guys get mixed feelings at all when he started painting them in a...less then positive light? xD
Isn't it an amazing thing to go from "minor side characters" to being part of the central antagonists of the story tho?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexiaCarcera View Post
Done marathoning! Over all, ep 8 was better than I expected, and I thoroughly enjoyed both ends <3.

Just wanted to join in the giving of thanks! I may have joined the party late (I joined in during the wait for ep 6 after marathoning ep 1~5 early january) but these few years were still very fun and I'm glad that you were the ones to translate it!

Quite a weird feeling now that I can actually remove W-H and the forums from my bookmark bar and just check every few months. I think I'll actually miss the wait for translations and the spoiler avoiding.
There should still be a few more things up from the group that is related to Umineko, starting with our confession.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 09:40   Link #7387
st_nick5

If Witch-Hunt translates the "Our Confession" booklet (I believe it's the booklet, correct me if I'm wrong), how would they go about doing it? Bit more difficult to translate a physical book, plus if they did just throw the translation on their website or something, what's stopping people from reading it without having bought the book?
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 09:45   Link #7388
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove27 View Post

It may help to create a text file called ons.cfg in the game folder, containing the following text:
Code:
match-audiodevice-to-bgm
Might work, might not… Still worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_nick5 View Post
If Witch-Hunt translates the "Our Confession" booklet (I believe it's the booklet, correct me if I'm wrong), how would they go about doing it? Bit more difficult to translate a physical book, plus if they did just throw the translation on their website or something, what's stopping people from reading it without having bought the book?
chronotrig has confirmed that they'll be translating Our Confessions (yes, it's a booklet). They haven't said how it will be released.

It may be possible to have a way to pay online for a digital version of the booklet (say, in PDF format) containing the translation. Not sure what they could do about people who already have a copy. (Hopefully they wouldn't make people break the support disc…) Anyway, Witch Hunt might do something completely different. I really don't know.
Old 2011-12-20, 16:22   Link #7389
ghost_zero5

With Ep8 patch and onscripter-en on Linux I have some issues.
I even compiled the latest (same version as the Windows .exe 20111217).

Actually, it seems to work fine mostly but when ending credits start most of the time the program crashes with a segmentation fault. I guess the issue lies with onscripter-en
Btw. I also tried to use all internal libraries and no external ones by checking out the newest onscrlib from mercurial repository.

EDIT:

The debug output didn't really help which is why I compiled the DEBUG version and run it with gdb and did a backtrace (part of it displays):
Code:
(gdb) backtrace full
#0  0x000000000045c4b5 in resizeImage (dst_buffer=0x7fffcfcfa010 "", dst_width=1440, dst_height=39375, dst_total_width=5760, src_buffer=0x7fffdd546010 "", src_width=640, src_height=17500, 
    src_total_width=2560, byte_per_pixel=4, tmp_buffer=0x7fffe4ba3010 "", tmp_total_width=2560, num_cells=1, no_interpolate=false) at resize_image.cpp:215
        p = 16320
        x = 0
        dx = 0
        ix = 4
        k = -17451520
As in the code tmp_buffer[ k ] does use k which is negative, I guess this is the issue.

My guess is that there is a value overflow at this line (196) - and gdb seems to agree.
int y = (i<<3) * src_height / dst_height;

I did the following with gdb
(gdb) display src_height
1: src_height = 17500
(gdb) display i
2: i = 15340
(gdb) display i<<3
3: i<<3 = 122720
(gdb) display (i<<3) * src_height
4: (i<<3) * src_height = -2147367296

As both values themselves are positive this is most definitely an overflow.
Well the resulting value of 17599*122720 speaks for itself actually
It definitely requires long instead of int, well I guess we could even use unsigned as k most definitely shouldn't be negative which would give us even more "space".

Though I have to wonder why the source height is that big - is the ending sequence one big scrolling picture?

EDIT2:

Btw. now that I see it is related to resizeImage I tried removing the window-width line from my ons.cfg file
and that way it works too - after all I don't need to resize that way.

I also tried changing k and various other variables to long and it works with resize.
However, there: (i<<3) * src_height
I also needed to cast src_height to long because otherwise the calculation would still be done using int
so it is (i<<3) * (long)src_height

Maybe Uncle Mion could change this.
I actually wonder why it works under Windows...

EDIT3:
OK. The modification is not perfect yet, as it doesn't scroll completely down to the bottom - although this could be an issue somewhere else - but at least it doesn't crash anymore
Actually that reminds me that on Windows (well actually on wine, didn't want to reboot just for the credits ) - if I use resize on the "Trick" credits the seemed to miss the bottom, it was only "black" for some time, maybe this is also related somehow.

Last edited by ghost_zero5; 2011-12-20 at 17:30.
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 17:25   Link #7390
ghost_zero5

Something else:

Are there different tea partys or something like this weither I choose "Magic" or "Trick"?
Also, are there are any significant differences based on the "party-quiz" (well I know that answering the questions correctly, seems to give some small scenes after the question but is there anything else?)
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 18:00   Link #7391
AlexiaCarcera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_zero5 View Post
Something else:

Are there different tea partys or something like this weither I choose "Magic" or "Trick"?
Also, are there are any significant differences based on the "party-quiz" (well I know that answering the questions correctly, seems to give some small scenes after the question but is there anything else?)
I don't know if this helps but I chose "Trick" first and didn't get tea party or anything; I didn't get those until I chose and completed "Magic" end.
Old 2011-12-20, 19:52   Link #7392
Orophin

I just finished reading it. Here's the typos I've found:

Spoiler for Typos:
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 20:00   Link #7393
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
It may be possible to have a way to pay online for a digital version of the booklet (say, in PDF format) containing the translation. Not sure what they could do about people who already have a copy. (Hopefully they wouldn't make people break the support disc…) Anyway, Witch Hunt might do something completely different. I really don't know.
Maybe they could make their own ONScripter release like JanPoo's Witches & Woodlands.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 22:08   Link #7394
zibbazabba905
twuth it EASY.

another site calls Umineko "babby's first VN"
I think it should be an honor that enough people got their start with your translation, and this babby personally thanks you for sticking with it, and for spoiling us with your insanely fast (and well done!) translation
zibbazabba905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 01:32   Link #7395
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Hi ghost_zero5,

Nice one debugging that resizeImage issue on Linux. I'll definitely look into converting the code to use long ints. (The resizing feature in onscripter was originally intended to downscale images when run on devices with smaller screens, and so repurposing it for upscaling is starting to hit some limits in the code at large window sizes... ^^; )

Thanks,
Uncle Mion
Sonozaki Futagotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 02:23   Link #7396
SakuraMikage

Thank you for all your hard work, Witch Hunt crew!
SakuraMikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 02:59   Link #7397
Witch of Uncertainty

I have now completed Twilight, and words cannot express my gratitude for translating this incredibly wordy and fantastic series, so I've done the very least, and purchased the games through your website.
Truly, truly, thank you bringing me my favorite series of all times. Without you, I would never have completed this. You've done a splendid job. <3

I would also like to thank everyone posting their theories and opinions (Negative and positive), as well as answering questions I've asked personally regarding this franchise. Thanks to you, I understood a lot more, a lot faster, and developed a lot of theories of my own (as well as copy-pasting you a "bit"!), and thus, greatly increased my joyment of this franchise.
After all, theorymaking is half the fun, and I would have read it as fantasy if it weren't for this forum.

Again, thank you. All.
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 04:39   Link #7398
Mercurius

There are not enough high-density letters to express the gratitude that The Witch Hunt deserves for allowing us to enjoy this wonderful 3-year journey. This series gave me many points and ideas to consider, all of which was made possible due to WH's hard work. Thank you all, and please know your dedication and effort is greatly appreciated. Enjoy your much-deserved break and have a happy holidays and New Year!

Spoiler for Possible bugs:
Mercurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 06:40   Link #7399
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Maybe they could make their own ONScripter release like JanPoo's Witches & Woodlands.
Sure, but I think some people would rather have a PDF. Maybe they could release both.
Old 2011-12-21, 14:43   Link #7400
SakuraMikage

Question: I got to the part where I should be choosing "magic" or "trick" but instead of getting the choices, I have a white screen where I can't go to the options nor skip ahead. The music keeps looping but I can't click. Any suggestions to resolving this bug?
SakuraMikage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation