AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-07-25, 05:00   Link #741
Slice of Life
eyewitness

What he said. They can always let that-one-big-swedish-site do the tracking or whatever.
Old 2007-07-25, 07:20   Link #742
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The subs for Episode 15 are out.

Spoiler for the time being:
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 09:40   Link #743
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Sagum said many insightful things during this episode. Here's one of my favorites:

"Gifts are defined by the tact of the recipient. What's important is the mindset of both the giver and receiver." -- Sagum

Spoiler for Chagum in ep. 15:
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 14:11   Link #744
lommm
l'homme de lommm

Spoiler for 15:
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 20:26   Link #745
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

A point of translation I've been wanting to ask: the Emperor uses the second-person pronoun "we" whenever he refers to himself. What is the Japanese original, and why was it translated to "we"?

Is it because he speaks on the behalf of his predecessors? Or is it because, as Head of State, he speaks on the behalf of all Yogo people?
Old 2007-07-26, 02:47   Link #746
EasyPrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
A point of translation I've been wanting to ask: the Emperor uses the second-person pronoun "we" whenever he refers to himself. What is the Japanese original, and why was it translated to "we"?

Is it because he speaks on the behalf of his predecessors? Or is it because, as Head of State, he speaks on the behalf of all Yogo people?
The "we" the emperor speaks of is the royal 'we'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluralis_majestatis

You will find that similar language is in use today where the person is (or places themselves) of importance. For example, if you go to a court hearing. The judge will never say "I find the defendant guilty". Instead the judge will say "The Court finds the defendant guilty". A judge will always refer to himself in the third person ("The Court").

Anime Kraze is just doing an awesome job of translation. Their translation includes proper nuances of the language. Kudos to Anime Kraze!

-EasyPrey
EasyPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 03:03   Link #747
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyPrey View Post
The "we" the emperor speaks of is the royal 'we'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluralis_majestatis

You will find that similar language is in use today where the person is (or places themselves) of importance. For example, if you go to a court hearing. The judge will never say "I find the defendant guilty". Instead the judge will say "The Court finds the defendant guilty". A judge will always refer to himself in the third person ("The Court").

Anime Kraze is just doing an awesome job of translation. Their translation includes proper nuances of the language. Kudos to Anime Kraze!

-EasyPrey
And its something you wont find in domestics nuances of language or setting gets "replaced" with localization >>

It seems while Fan subs get better most domestics get worse, at least dubbing on a whole...or I suck at finding worth while dubs .
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 03:19   Link #748
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Oh god.. I never thought a calm death scene could be so .. enchanting.

And damn that bird scene are touching >.<

T^T*manly tears*
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 03:24   Link #749
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
Oh god.. I never thought a calm death scene could be so .. enchanting.

And damn that bird scene are touching >.<

T^T*manly tears*
this is the most enchanting series I have seen in years its like Hayao Miyazaki films rolled into a series,well maybe not that grand but damn close.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 09:17   Link #750
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
The "we" the emperor speaks of is the royal 'we'.
First of all, I got something wrong. "We" isn't a second-person pronoun. It's the plural form of the first-person pronoun "I".

Secondly, I guessed that it would be something like the royal "we" (although I didn't realise it applies that way to European monarchies; that's something new I learnt). I suppose the closest equivalent in a Chinese dub would be the "朕" (zhen in pinyin). I was curious though about the Japanese original -- how does the Emperor refer to himself in Japanese? I can't quite catch it.
Old 2007-07-26, 10:03   Link #751
EasyPrey

My understand is that Anime Kraze is translating (rather than inserting) the "royal we". I don't know what that term is called in Japanese, but they have a similar concept.

I recommend that you watch Saiunkoku Monogatari. It contains several dialog, where the monarch (disguised as a commoner), several times start to speak "we believe ...", only to catch himself and rephrase as "I believe ...".

Perhaps a native Japanese speaker could explain the Japanese nuances. That is a little beyond me.

-EasyPrey
EasyPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 11:09   Link #752
Aniki Meiski

余(よ):君主が使う。(漢籍の「寡人」のようなもの)死語。
朕(ちん):中国に由来。皇帝のみ使う。

The male members of the royal or imperial family use "Yo" as first person singular pronoun. "Yo" is derived from classical chnese.
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 20:34   Link #753
lommm
l'homme de lommm

Aniki Meiski to the rescue!!

i happen to love that he speaks with the royal we! hence my joke, "We are not amused," which, by the way, comes from Monty Python, for those who don't know.
Old 2007-07-26, 21:06   Link #754
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post
Aniki Meiski to the rescue!!

i happen to love that he speaks with the royal we! hence my joke, "We are not amused," which, by the way, comes from Monty Python, for those who don't know.
Actually, it comes from Queen Victoria, who, in this case, was in fact referring not just to herself, but to her whole party, so that wasn't a royal "we".

A funny coincidence.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 04:57   Link #755
lommm
l'homme de lommm

and yet as a pop culture reference it comes from monty python. even if they were making reference to queen victoria, i was making reference to monty pythong, who are in fact responsible for popularizing that phrase in a silly high pitched voice as they said it (terry jones i think).

edit: pythong. i typed pythong. i wonder what a monty pythong would look like...
Old 2007-07-27, 06:09   Link #756
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post
and yet as a pop culture reference it comes from monty python.
A statement so vague it can hardly be proven or disproven. But are you sure you don't underestimate the level of education on this planet and overestimate the reach of Monty Python?
Old 2007-07-27, 07:18   Link #757
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

"We are the knights who say NI!!"

<--- take a look at my location by the way....
Old 2007-07-27, 09:34   Link #758
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Yes, and? *confused*

To try and bring this thread on track again: Two remarks about recent episodes.

I found Torogai's constant repetition of the Kappa-like creature's talk in ep. 14 a bit unelegant. It would have been better if they had just subtitled it to gain the freedom to reduce Torogai's part to more naturally sounding comments instead of the constant "So, you say ...".

I probably didn't pay enough attention but I was surprised by Sagum's death. Was it really forshadowed? Maybe they should have let him look weaker from the start.

All in all, SnM is not only "according to my highly subjective, fuzzy, and always fluctuating ranking" the best show of 2007 (with LovCom being a close second). Trying to be as objective as I can, I'd say it hovers well above everything else that airs at the moment and I really wonder why it is seen to be not all that popular in Japan according to wao.
Old 2007-07-28, 02:55   Link #759
kujoe
from head to heel

Spoiler for episode 15:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life
Trying to be as objective as I can, I'd say it hovers well above everything else that airs at the moment and I really wonder why it is seen to be not all that popular in Japan according to wao.
I don't know... Well, compare it with what's popular now—let's say, Lucky Star or something—and maybe it's just a matter of trends and what gets the mainstream otaku population take notice.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 03:07   Link #760
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Its just didn't have enough moe char in it ._.

just like the current banner contest.. every nook and corners are filled with moe banners ._.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy, historical, production i.g.